What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A question to the comunity: How loyal are you to STAR TREK ONLINE

Comments

• Options
    fourxgamerfourxgamer Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm number 1 all the way, just not how you describe it.

I want these very people to get it right, and have great success.

I want to commandeer the white board and motivate them. There are sooo many things
    that could be done in this game still. Things that aren't inflationary. We don't need to keep creeping with ships and powers, we need a purpose.

We don't need humongous, sterile city sphere planets. We need interesting and exotic home worlds with housing. We don't need Omega particles while there is no meaningful crafting. Starbases were supposed to be launching points for exploration and colonization, not simply stores. We need trade of something besides keys and lock-boxes.

I want to look Taco in the fangs and tell him there are things that can be done on interior maps even if they're just mini-games. Heck, put me in charge of Andoria and you will for darn sure have something(s) to do there shortly. I want to tell them more people would PvP if you made it so they stumbled into it. PvP red-alert style with numerical advantage to the defenders.

I complain on the forum that I want to spend money but can't find anything I need or at a price my brain can justify. I really just can't spend $50 on a space ship, I refuse. I already have ten or more perfectly good ones. I would buy items to build with, maps to build on, furnishings etc. at reasonable prices.

New Romulus was an attractive map but you know why I didn't go there much? Too many highwaymen. Tholians, Tal Shiar, Hirogen, insect swarms behind every bush. Too much. You'd think somebody would scan for life forms once in a while.

Nimbus was enjoyable, but the best parts are locked away in missions and one of the three dil dailies there in town is broken.

"Fan favorites" for the love of.. don't lock these away, you need these to hold us over until big changes come in.

see, i will keep ranting for hours. I swear I can help this game.

I've not played regularly for the last several months now, and the three times I did log in I crashed changing characters and just decided not to reenter.

tldr Sometimes being a number one is telling the young person with great potential they need to go to the hair salon and stop wearing baggy clothes everywhere, or in extreme cases, wash your hair, brush your teeth and take a shower. They may get angry and have hurt feelings but it really is in their best interest.
  • Options
    johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Well, i'm still here, aren't I?
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm extremely loyal to STO. Unless they COMPLETELY and irrevocably TRIBBLE up the game, I'm staying.

The Devs are reasonably honest and competent, the CMs are not abusive jerks, and the players are for the most part decent people. The combat is fun and engaging, and the sheer VARIETY is incredible.

Best MMO I've ever played.
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I guess you could say that I am a "loyal customer" of STO, in that I continue to put money into the game and have little desire to put money into any others.

Aside from that, "invested" seems like a good choice of words. I am heavily invested in the game and in the community of STO players, at least as much as I am able to.

That does not mean that I turn a blind eye to the flaws of either the game or the community. But I find more than enough to enjoy about both that I will continue to be invested in them enough to overlook the few minor things I don't like.

I'll continue to be outspoken about things that I feel could be better, and I'll criticize where criticism is due. But I'm not going anywhere. This is still a great game that suits me pretty well, and Cryptic has my support.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    You can't be loyal to an inanimate object.
    Yes. You definitely can.
    Care to give an example?

Examples of being loyal to inanimate objects? There's a show on TV called Hoarders. Watch any episode.
  • Options
    greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I've been playing for a year, and still put money into the game. So if that counts as loyal, then sure.

I also play other MMOs sometimes, but I rarely spend as much money in them as I have here off and on.

Doesn't mean I think the game is perfect, because it's not, but the flaws don't bother me enough to make me not want to play.
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    STO, I have something to tell you.

I'm sorry that I haven't been honest with you, but the truth is...I've been having an affair...with Guild Wars 2...and DC Universe Online...and Hawken...and one time with Mechwarrior Online. I even crawled back to my ex at one point, the game that shall not be named.

I've fooled around with others. And I'm sorry. I'm sorry I haven't been loyal to you. Honest to you. I'm such a bad person. I can understand if you never want to see me again.

:P
  • Options
    decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Examples of being loyal to inanimate objects? There's a show on TV called Hoarders. Watch any episode.

You're confusing sentimental attachment with loyalty. They are separate things entirely.
  • Options
    astimingpyleastimingpyle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    decronia wrote: »
    Not at all. My "loyalty" to a game follows a simple policy:
    Fun = stay and play
    Stops being fun = goodbye

I Agree. It's that simple
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    decronia wrote: »
    You're confusing sentimental attachment with loyalty. They are separate things entirely.

Based on some of the behavior I see both in the forums and in-game chat, I'd say plenty of players make the same error. :P
  • Options
    jagdhippiesjagdhippies Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I am gone at the sight of something shiny that I find interesting

But in the meantime I am still having fun
    My carrier is more powerful than your gal-dread
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited May 2014

That's not loyalty, that's OCD.

Where the word loyalty has any meaning in this context, is loyalty to the idea of STO.

And where disappointment comes from is the gap between what the game should be and what it is.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    And where disappointment comes from is the gap between what the game should be and what it is.

I've stood on the edge of the Grand Canyon. The gap you describe above makes said canyon look like a crack in the sidewalk. :(
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I would say I am #2.

I play STO because I enjoy playing it. I will continue to play it until it is absolutely no more fun to play. I can deal with bugs / "bad changes" to the game as long as they do not completely drag down the fun factor and as long as the bugs are eventually fixed. As for "bad changes" that would be a cumulative affect over time.

I can't say I am #1 because I am not a die hard Star Trek fan.

I wouldn't say I am #3 because I am not always looking to only play the latest and greatest games.
  • Options
    burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I think there is a fourth level thats often ignored

Addiction.

You are not particulary fond of the game, you can see its faults and such and you simply play as its there - its not loyalty (I must agree, theres no loyalty to a game per se, more the faction within the game) yet you play the game to such a degree it transcends the realm of 'casual', buying/gambling in game for items not truely needed but simply as they are there
  • Options
    centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I think there is a fourth level thats often ignored

Addiction.
    Indeed! I would have to suggest a 1.5 for myself, since as an actual engineer in RL, I find the detail level of STO an OCD paradise. :P I'm not overly invested in telling the dev's what I want, though I'm not shy about reporting my irritation with apparent "mistakes" in specific areas. That said, I am a bit unsettled at how quickly even my RL outlook is affected with respect to the "never satisfied" STO mentality. It's not a moral issue ofc, but the dev's are quite skilled at playing on gamers' nautral human instinct to acquire more & better stuff... :rolleyes:

And yes, I did sign up for Gold Membership... 8-O
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • Options
    damienvryce2damienvryce2 Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    exa12 wrote: »
    so whats the option for only playing because its 'Trek and you dislike MMOs in general?

That would be my choice as well. This is the only MMO I've ever played simply because it's Trek.
    STO: Where men are men and the women probably are too.
    I support the Star Trek Battles channel.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    That would be my choice as well. This is the only MMO I've ever played simply because it's Trek.

It's the only MMO I play because it reminds me of Star Trek: Starfleet Command (not necessarily because it is Star Trek). More importantly, the game is completely free to play. I don't have to spend any real money if I did not want (but I have purchased Zen using my credit card). By "completely" I mean it is not necessary to purchase starships to play the game.

I could have tried Eve Online, but that is not a F2P game.
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm here to fly space ships. I'll put up with a lot to do that. If there was somewhere better, I'd be flying spaceships there.
  • Options
    stelakkhstelakkh Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    cers001 wrote: »
    I watched Gamespots reality check to-night and with the fourteen week turn over for STO I'd like to ask YOU how loyal are you to STAR TREK ONLINE?
    Gamespot video link is here.

I would define the levels of loyalty as 3 level

1. Completely and utterly loyal won't hear a bad word uttered about the game or cryptic if you do i'll feed you to the Borg

2. Semi-Loyal; It provided me hours of enjoyment and it gave me a place to test my limits and surpass them but now cause of lowering of the diffulty and decisions my cryptic I' only stick around for new content but they're not getting any of my hard earned money

3. Not loyal at all; its a free to play game some nice stuff but as soon as something shiney comes along I'm gone

What are you?

Me,

I am a Semi-loyal to the game and a lifetime member; Why am I semi-loyal?

Cryptic now focouses on the fourteen week turn over which is understandable its their primary income source and they require money to live on but what gets me mad about it is they TRIBBLE over those that are LOYAL to them for instance, Veteran rewards;

By their name alone Veteran rewards are for those that have stuck by the game in order obtain them but cryptic decides to sell them with lifetime memberships,
    I understand that lifetime subs cost a lot of cash which is a hard to get resorce more than ever and a $200 price tag has to come with some good items other than just you get everything and don't have pay us any more

But instead of alienating those that care for this game which you (cryptic) make why not create new stuff for the new lifers.

And all content now is dirt easy I have no challenge it does put me to sleep,
    But that's my reasons what is yours?

I was loyal - despite my raging against Cryptic, I've played STO since open Beta over four years ago.

And then they released Season 9 and I lost all hope for the game.

I haven't logged in for at least a week. I don't plan to log in for quite some time, either.

I've been a serious fan of Star Trek for over 40 years. I've played STO for over 4 years.

Because of both, I can sum up my loyalty to STO (and ESPECIALLY Cryptic) in three words: Sod them both.
    Actual Join Date: August, 2008
  • Options
    tostrek2012tostrek2012 Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    After season 9, I play one to three missions per day and sometimes not at all. I watched every episode of Star Trek and movies (except the TAS) so yes, I am a trekkie. Yes, I will continue to play this game but lesser in the summer (i.e., watching reruns of TOS, visit the parks, etc). I am actually dusting off XCOM and playing it now.
  • Options
    kaloriaa4kaloriaa4 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    1.2 for me. Star trek fan all my life. So i'm pretty loyal though that also doesn't mean I won't offer constructive feedback how things can be better every now and again.
  • Options
    e1ime1im Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm here to fly space ships. I'll put up with a lot to do that. If there was somewhere better, I'd be flying spaceships there.

^^^ This. However, there is not much of replayable content to fly those ships in. Not even new PvP maps in 4 years.
  • Options
    cers001cers001 Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    But why don't they care about us, is it money yes it is what we need is more transparancey from the game devs and more fairness too,
    I know that they don't like getting shouted at but if we the community don't give back constructive feekback and critasizim of their work that we know is substandard and we know can be much better or that is a direct condradition to what STAR TREK is then they will continue down this route.

Star trek online could be a great game but IMHO it should be a signle player game like Mass effect but not an MMO cause it is primarly focoused on PVE and bearly ANYTHING on pvp which is what MMO's are all about.

What could the devs do to improve the game but keeping in mind they need to make money out of the game?
    CVN-65 U.S.S. Enterprise - A ship so badass it survived John McCain.
  • Options
    vawlkusvawlkus Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited July 2014

It's fun to fly some of my favorite ships, but there's not enough to do at times, unless your good at the Foundry.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    How Loyal am I?

Offer me a game that is star trek themed, and mod-able, while being up to date on tech, and I am gone.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I once considered myself as loyal as can be. A live hard, die hard STO player. However I now realize that was choosing the path of pain. Three things have pushed me away: 1) nerfs, nerfs, nerfs and more nerfs and stealth nerfs 2) removal of content with a promise of a spit-shined return only to see no return 3) promise of new features and promises that either never reach fruition or are sub-par and buggy. I don't think I've ever played a game that has tried to fundamentally change itself over and over again, it seems reckless and it's hard to retain players when this happens. I've seen generations of friends in-game come and go over and over. The game recently just totally dropped from Steam's top 100 meaning not even 1,500 people globally play STO per day thru Steam anymore and its easy to understand why. All of this and the fact that the developer pushes further and further away from being a Star Trek MMO and more towards being a sci-fi based Facebook/mobile type game.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I am a life-long Trek fan and I am a gamer, but I have played well over 100 MMOs over the years, and every Trek game ever made. I am no-more loyal to STO then I am LotRO, SWTOR, or any other games I play.

When I am bored with a game I take a break and play something else. Just as I am not going to watch the same television program 3 hours per day for the rest of my life I am not going to play the same game that way either. Variety is the spice of life.

I really do not understand people who get so invest in STO that it turns them into angst monsters. STO is one of my hobbies, not my reason to exist. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.