test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A question to the comunity: How loyal are you to STAR TREK ONLINE

cers001cers001 Member Posts: 286 Arc User
I watched Gamespots reality check to-night and with the fourteen week turn over for STO I'd like to ask YOU how loyal are you to STAR TREK ONLINE?
Gamespot video link is here.

I would define the levels of loyalty as 3 level

1. Completely and utterly loyal won't hear a bad word uttered about the game or cryptic if you do i'll feed you to the Borg

2. Semi-Loyal; It provided me hours of enjoyment and it gave me a place to test my limits and surpass them but now cause of lowering of the diffulty and decisions my cryptic I' only stick around for new content but they're not getting any of my hard earned money

3. Not loyal at all; its a free to play game some nice stuff but as soon as something shiney comes along I'm gone

What are you?

Me,

I am a Semi-loyal to the game and a lifetime member; Why am I semi-loyal?

Cryptic now focouses on the fourteen week turn over which is understandable its their primary income source and they require money to live on but what gets me mad about it is they TRIBBLE over those that are LOYAL to them for instance, Veteran rewards;

By their name alone Veteran rewards are for those that have stuck by the game in order obtain them but cryptic decides to sell them with lifetime memberships,
I understand that lifetime subs cost a lot of cash which is a hard to get resorce more than ever and a $200 price tag has to come with some good items other than just you get everything and don't have pay us any more

But instead of alienating those that care for this game which you (cryptic) make why not create new stuff for the new lifers.

And all content now is dirt easy I have no challenge it does put me to sleep,
But that's my reasons what is yours?
CVN-65 U.S.S. Enterprise - A ship so badass it survived John McCain.
Post edited by cers001 on

Comments

• rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'd class as semi-loyal. Perhaps not exactly as you have written, but I'm at a place where cryptic need to make up ground before i open my wallet again to them.

I suspect that many people, once they've played a game for a while, get familiar enough with a game to see past the first attraction and to crave a deeper experience.

STO, in my view, certainly has the capacity to do such a thing and, occasionally, succeeds.

However, it too often shoots itself in the foot, for my comfort.
  • latiasracerlatiasracer Member Posts: 680 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    1.5?

I don't really agree with everything they've done (Galaxy reboot sham, Undine box pathetic lore explanation, Kit modules not being finished properly)

But i still get hours of enjoyment and spend money regularly on the game..
    warp plasma can't melt neutronium beams
  • decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Not at all. My "loyalty" to a game follows a simple policy:
    Fun = stay and play
    Stops being fun = goodbye
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    *gets up from the floor and dusts himself off*

Ehehehe, sorry. Almost broke my chair there. Loyalty? To a video game? LOL. I've never laughed so hard in my life. This type of nerdy nonsense is one of the leading causes of stupid internet drama. Why would I want to involve myself with such a thing?
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited May 2014
    I reserve things like loyalty for people, not pixels.

I am loyal to the people at Cryptic and PWE I've had the good fortune to have personal interactions with like Taco, Smirk, Trendy, Kestrel and most recently Joe Jing. I have found them to be good people and deserving of my support.

As far as the game goes. I'm honest about what I like and what I don't like, mostly without feeling the need act like a SOB about either one. I do happen to like a lot of things in this game, but there are things I don't like and I don't mind saying so, such as the the continual waffling on Foundry development.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The friends I have made in my fleet are the only reason I stick around.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Hmm interesting, question.

I say that I'm loyal to STO (even after all the recent developments), where I play it religiously, and believe in it enough to suggest improvements. However, I'm not loyal enough to put money into it.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I am in the middle.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    hypl wrote: »

Ehehehe, sorry. Almost broke my chair there. Loyalty? To a video game? LOL. I've never laughed so hard in my life. This type of nerdy nonsense is one of the leading causes of stupid internet drama. Why would I want to involve myself with such a thing?

Seconded. Ridiculous concept (like "loyalty" to a freaking game) is ridiculous.
  • cers001cers001 Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Seconded. Ridiculous concept (like "loyalty" to a freaking game) is ridiculous.

Its the best way I could describe what I was wanting to convey
    CVN-65 U.S.S. Enterprise - A ship so badass it survived John McCain.
  • groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I don't know where I stand in those three catagories.
    I love STO, I play it every spare moment I have, spend money on no other games (gave up my xbox sub to buy more zen). I spend my time not playing either on the forums or in work chatting about sto with workmates. I even lie in bed sometimes making theoretical builds in my head to help me nod off.
    Basically I am an STO fanboy.
    However I do moan about things I don't like in the game (and there are a few) and although I've played for over a year now and don't see an end to my STO journey just yet I do see my time with the game as finite, either through real life change, end of game life, or eventual end of personal game appeal.
    I'm always open to debate views on various aspects of the game with people if their views differ from mine so I probably don't class as "loyal" in those categories, but I do feel like a dedicated player if nothing else.
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Utterly loyal as in I play it a lot because I enjoy it.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    any type of loyalty indicates there is emotion involved in the process, there is none of that for me, i dont feel anything for STO.

i only play it to waste time when i got a bit too much time to play around with, apart from that, i got other things i can do.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    As long as I have fun, I'm playing. I support when I feel the need to, like a new shiny I really want, or when the Romulan came because I was expecting Romulans for years. But then I won't buy something "just to support Cryptic". That's something I might do for a good indie game, but STO is far from being near bankrupt, indie, or struggling to have enough money to continue. They need support as much as EA.

If I stop having fun, I'll stop playing.

There is no loyalty involved, I'm just a customer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    hypl wrote: »

I'm with you; corollary: never love anything that can't love you in return.

It's not a religion, an extended family, an employer, or a military organization. It's a game.

I don't know if it's as much a nerd question as it is a teenage question; this sort of thing rebounds in teenage psyches a lot.
    boldly-watched.png
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I believe the confusion caused in this thread is because there needs to be a separation between the game and it's current company:

STO = 2

Cryptic = 3
  • seseronseseron Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm not loyal, but I am invested. I bought the LTS on the first day it became available, even before the game was live. Went through beta with high hopes, only taking a hiatus to play Skyrim. Some hopes have been fulfilled, and a few remain outstanding. I have my moments of euphoria and enjoyment, and my moments of disappointment and sighing. But STO is my favorite MMO. I'm invested and in it for the long haul.
    rottorung02.png
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I consider STO to be an average quality MMO, at best, but it is one of the few Sci-Fi based MMOs I consider interesting - as it is not heavily focused on PvP - and I would play it on and off even if it were not a Trek game. But I play a lot of different MMOs, anyway, and have not yet played Season 9 in STO yet.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • exa12exa12 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    so whats the option for only playing because its 'Trek and you dislike MMOs in general?

for spoiler text use #1b1c1f
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    STO is probably the only MMO I play regularly and have an active interest in now. Not only because of the IP or the friends I've made, but because it will be the last online game I invest in. I've tried to play other games and have constantly had my hopes dashed because the developers decided to launch something that was broken or not fully realized (as they've advertised) at launch. And as time went on, it's made clear that they will never live up to what they originally promised and are in it solely to milk cash from gullible players. Boy, doesn't that sound familiar to anyone...? :P

Well, I guess the difference with STO is, I've learned to deal with it, and I still have fun playing. I was even silly enough to buy lifetime, over 3 years after the game launched. Oddly enough, no regrets.

As new online games start to pop up, new developers have entered the industry, extremely cocky, incompetent, and sometimes borderline insane. I'm tired of putting up with them. None of these games are producing a game world or universe, or have introduced unique game mechanics, that can hold my interest. It's the same old generic clone of any another game before it, but with a different paint job. A paint of job of lies and deceit that reeks of cash-grab.
  • atlantraatlantra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm slighty loyal to STO. To be clearly honest, when 'PSO II' comes to America I'll will be playing STO a lot less. 95% less. Ker'rat is the main reason I play STO, and one very super Elite player named "Yoda."

I'm a KDF fan. If KDF had a little more attention I'll be more loyal. The new rep system is a big punch to the face. The feeling of getting stronger after grinding is gone. BS. Negative 400 loyal points with that. Tetryon weapons don't even work, many bugs, and heavy GPU lag now...Yeah, so there you have it Cryptic. Not looking too good to me, but there's nothing better at the minute.
    The dress is gold and white. Over 70% people says so. When viewed from a certain screen angle it appears blue and black. The dress displayed on amazon is a blue and black dress, but it's not the same dress in the picture. If you're seeing blue & black you're slightly colored blind. A normal upright screen = white and gold.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I thought for sure Legacy of Romulus would be the moment that fully won me over, but while it was a great expansion with lots of fun content, the lackluster delivery of the Romulan faction as a whole really turned me off; I would have much preferred a complete and independent faction as opposed to the allied half-faction we got.

For that reason, I'm a 2.5, I think. Loyal-ish, but if something comes along, I wouldn't hesitate devoting my time elsewhere.
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Still here since the beginning.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Been here since 2010 and this is the mmo I've played the most. I love star trek and will continue to support this game despite my differences with the devs.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • jer5488jer5488 Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I wish I was more loyal to the game. I bought a lifetime subscription during Beta, been playing since the start. Unfortunately the only thing keeping me here is the IP and the time I've already invested. Very poor community feedback from the developers and staff, they don't fix eighty percent of the things that are broken, and support for something only lasts until the next shiny is on sale.
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    atlantra wrote: »
    I'm slighty loyal to STO. To be clearly honest, when 'PSO II' comes to America I'll will be playing STO a lot less. 95% less.

Excuse me while I laugh. You're going to be waiting for a long time on that one.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Going with semi. It's not a bad game, but it has it's faults.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    In a three tier choice I cannot make them as it seems to be total love or loathing.

I spend my money here. Not the competition or any other video game. I play often and praise good work and point out the poor. I have seen a slow evolution and general improvement to the game that is what is keeping me.
    When it breaks totally or shuts down is when I shall depart.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I would be a number 2 in this instance. lol.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    I reserve things like loyalty for people, not pixels.

Brand loyalty is a thing that exists.

One of the best moments in Madmen delves into that.

Brand loyalty in this MMO is quite strong actually. Because it cuts across Star Trek fans, who are fiercely loyal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]