test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A question to the comunity: How loyal are you to STAR TREK ONLINE

Comments

• dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Customer loyalty is never rewarded. All effort is used to get new customers.
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Pretty loyal I guess. I mean, I get bored and leave from time to time, but I always come back eventually.

Wouldn't say I 'won't hear a bad word about it' though. I'll defend the game and the devs if I think someone is being unreasonable about them; but then, I'll do that for segments of the community too.

Even I don't think STO is all sunshine and rainbows.
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Mixed feelings.This game has many Pros, and Cons.I had to take a grind break, and comeback.I still checked the forums for ingame news.It's a Trek MMO, I have Money tied up in it, the community is better than the other"Star" game.I guess I'm here for the long haul, but my feelings about this game range from enjoyment to apathy.I miss that"new love" feeling , I had for the game a few years ago.
  • straengestraenge Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I will be honest. I was very "loyal" to only one game and that was COH. Though I prefer it more along the lines of invested. After what occurred with COH, I don't think I will ever be that invested into a game. STO I picked up not because I am that big of a fan of trek but because I was bored and SWTOR was both boring/unfriendly and just generally hard to play on my older computer. STO is a bit easier on my computer but aside from a very few exceptions, find it slightly boring and the community.. while sometimes nice, just not as mature/polite as I would prefer or that I have found before, though granted it is exceptionally better compared to a great many MMO's.

Overall though, I am invested here to a point but with summer coming, I will be taking my break away offline and in the fall/winter when I start gaming again, if I have a new computer by then, I will probably try to find something else before returning to this game. I appreciate the development but.. overall, just really miss a different kind of crowd, perhaps.
  • hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    hypl wrote: »
    *gets up from the floor and dusts himself off*

Ehehehe, sorry. Almost broke my chair there. Loyalty? To a video game? LOL. I've never laughed so hard in my life. This type of nerdy nonsense is one of the leading causes of stupid internet drama. Why would I want to involve myself with such a thing?

And you of all people laughed. I read alot of forums and you my friend have commented to just about everyone of them. If you play the game as much as you post on the sto forums. You are more than Loyal , if there was a forth option above loyalty you would be it. You are more like a worshiper. So don't make fun of someone expressing how they feel about a game.
  • morrisaomorrisao Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2014

Ehehehe, sorry. Almost broke my chair there. Loyalty? To a video game? LOL. I've never laughed so hard in my life. This type of nerdy nonsense is one of the leading causes of stupid internet drama. Why would I want to involve myself with such a thing?

Heh hehehe.

Yes, this.

I've played many MMO's over the years, some good some bad.

By now, the only thing that keeps me in a game is how enjoyable it is.

When it's no longer fun, I'm gone.

I mean, there's tons of MMO's out there yet to try.
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I play it as long as I'm satisfied with it. When that changes, then it's time to hit the trail.

I have no loyalty or disloyalty toward STO, brand or otherwise.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm loyal to where the wind blows :D
    GwaoHAD.png
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    You can't be loyal to an inanimate object. Plus I reject your three options as being far too narrow. It seems you used your own view to label that as the default middle of the road position then threw out two extreme views either side.

I play the game a lot because I enjoy it. I don't plan on going anywhere but my future play will be dependant on many factors. Loyalty is not one of them. If I don't enjoy playing it I won't stick around based off some sense of duty.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    You can't be loyal to an inanimate object.

Yes. You definitely can.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited May 2014

The question is not whether being loyal to a game causes drama, but whether if the player decides to cause the drama or play the game and have fun...

As for me I'd like to say I am loyal to STO, as you can tell by my join date below. Although I consider myself loyal, not all the time I agree with the changes being made to STO... I am also not the kind of loyal player whom will not accept criticism, hate speech about STO...

I have a policy with myself, and that is that, if I see something that is causing lots of discussion whether directly or inderectly to STO, I try to see what issues is, test it myself and then make a decision from the results...

That is the kind of loyal gamer I am to STO!!!

• lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,864 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm not sure, sometimes I'm 2...but sometimes I'd consider myself more like a 1.5 or 1.75...like right now I'm more leaning towards a 2 with them releasing the Undine lockbox.
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
  • seseronseseron Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    dark4blood wrote: »
    ^Is that your Klingon ship, and is that in the game? Man that looks good.

It's a brig/major general ship, the Hegh'ta Heavy BOP blended with the Haj class.

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Hegh%27ta_Heavy_Bird-of-Prey

It was a good ship. I did some damage with it.
    rottorung02.png
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited May 2014
    I am loyal until someone else get a star trek franchise

Then im gone
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • zachariyazachariya Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm not quite 1 but not quite 2 so I'd say I'm 1.5ish?
    Shoot through the Galaxy, Final Master Spark!
  • nesomumi2nesomumi2 Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    cers001 wrote: »
    I watched Gamespots reality check to-night and with the fourteen week turn over for STO I'd like to ask YOU how loyal are you to STAR TREK ONLINE?
    Gamespot video link is here.

I would define the levels of loyalty as 3 level

1. Completely and utterly loyal won't hear a bad word uttered about the game or cryptic if you do i'll feed you to the Borg

2. Semi-Loyal; It provided me hours of enjoyment and it gave me a place to test my limits and surpass them but now cause of lowering of the diffulty and decisions my cryptic I' only stick around for new content but they're not getting any of my hard earned money

3. Not loyal at all; its a free to play game some nice stuff but as soon as something shiney comes along I'm gone

What are you?

Me,

I am a Semi-loyal to the game and a lifetime member; Why am I semi-loyal?

Cryptic now focouses on the fourteen week turn over which is understandable its their primary income source and they require money to live on but what gets me mad about it is they TRIBBLE over those that are LOYAL to them for instance, Veteran rewards;

By their name alone Veteran rewards are for those that have stuck by the game in order obtain them but cryptic decides to sell them with lifetime memberships,
    I understand that lifetime subs cost a lot of cash which is a hard to get resorce more than ever and a $200 price tag has to come with some good items other than just you get everything and don't have pay us any more

But instead of alienating those that care for this game which you (cryptic) make why not create new stuff for the new lifers.

And all content now is dirt easy I have no challenge it does put me to sleep,
    But that's my reasons what is yours?

as much as STAR TREK ONLINE is loyal to me.
  • a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited May 2014

1. Completely and utterly loyal won't hear a bad word uttered about the game or cryptic if you do i'll feed you to the Borg

2. Semi-Loyal; It provided me hours of enjoyment and it gave me a place to test my limits and surpass them but now cause of lowering of the diffulty and decisions my cryptic I' only stick around for new content but they're not getting any of my hard earned money

3. Not loyal at all; its a free to play game some nice stuff but as soon as something shiney comes along I'm gone

hmm...1.85 -ish. I'll occasionally splash some cash but only if it fits certain circumstances. More or less, the reason I stay is because 1) lots of friends/buddies are here, and 2) dilithium exchange, imo, is unique to STO in that you can buy prem items for free (or discounted) just by farming dilithium.
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • serevnserevn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    A 2.4 for me. Hours of entertainment, but most of those spent roaming Kerrat, that alone should tell you what I think of the rest of the game.
    edited May 2014
    Yes. You definitely can.

Care to give an example?
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I would say 1.5 on mine. Since I'm between your 2 listed levels. I'm loyal and will keep playing as this is my only game I play now days. With what free time I have to do it. So I'm on the game.

New content or not, I'm still playing as I have other characters to work on. To keep me busy. Like the 8472 grind. There is no story progression so I will avoid it. But I'm still playing. As for them getting my money. Yep I still have items I want to get. Extra Boff slots, a ship or 2, more bank space, etc. So my list is still there. And I want to show support to them and hopes they keep the game going.

Yet I'm not scared to speak my mind what I don't like about the game. Main thing that really bothers me is how they release a new season or expansion. And have lots of flaws in it. Its like they are rushed to get it out to meet a date. At least have most of the bugs taken care of before you release. That just sets like your lazy and want to meet a deadline. knowing the bugs are there.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    To me this is a difficult question , because I'm forced to think about "what am I being loyal to ?" and "how am I being loyal ?" first ... -- which breaks down to two answers :

- The 5 steps of evolution of STO :

1) The "2 faction MMO" that was promised .
    2) The skeleton of a "2 faction MMO" that was delivered .
    3) The (what I saw as) "the right way forward" (STO's first year) in regards to content development.
    4) (jumping over the Year of Hell) Going F2P , and focusing on the "new player experience" (at the expense of everyone else) .
    5) The Full Circle (or Returning to Beta) -- using todays income to remaster/redo virtually all the systems & content that has not been remastered yet -- at the expense of moving forward & at the expense of creating intricate endgame that will engage players once this MMO goes into "maintenance mode" + the lowering of the difficulty of the game to that of an iPhone user (no offense iPhone users :p) -- while introducing complex systems (kit revamp) with virtually no documentation & guide .

So , when asked how loyal am I , I have to think that the above is what I'm asked to be loyal to .

- My second way to judge my "loyalty" is an emotional basis : how do I feel about STO ?

There you have 2 answers :

1) A short time before S.9 came along , I stopped being really angry about STO .
    You'd think that's a good thing , right ?
    It's not .
    See , for ppl like me , sometimes anger is what keeps us going ... long after reason said to quit .

2) But opposed to that , as I said before -- I am cautiously optimistic about the next expansion , on the simple basis that they can't TRIBBLE that up as badly as they did the Romulan one (where I, along with other players got to experience "good" Romulans , when most of the shows depicted them as "bad" -- which was what we liked about them , and which is why the last expansion felt "empty" on an emotional level) .

So how "loyal" am I ?
    I play a lot less , but I participate in the game's economy (buy other ppl's Zen) .
    I interact more on my Fleet's forums (and occasionally here) , plus I've started recruiting for my Fleet .
    So essentially I play the game less , but I interact socially more .

I'm weird .

... and not really sure how loyal ... considering that I feel that those who plan for this games future have stabbed us in the back multiple times by now and continue to do so ...
  • riccardo171riccardo171 Member Posts: 1,802 Arc User
    edited May 2014

I don't stand when people rant, especially when it comes to PvP. They're free to quit instead of permanently bothering forums and social zones chat with useless spam.

As an extreme Star Trek fan, I really enjoy playing STO, that is.
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Care to give an example?

There is direct "loyalty" -- purchasing stuff and promoting stuff (creating positive reviews in social media , podcasts , creating web pages , creating private forums ect.)

And there is in-direct "loyalty" -- participating in the "fan experience" (posting on forums , joining ingame parties and other organized non-queue events , participating in in-and-out of game community(s) , creating fan fiction , art , logos , non-profit merchandise ect.)

BTW , you really should watch the link the OP provided -- it's really good :
    I watched Gamespots reality check to-night and with the fourteen week turn over for STO I'd like to ask YOU how loyal are you to STAR TREK ONLINE?
    Gamespot video link is here.
    edited May 2014
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    BTW , you really should watch the link the OP provided -- it's really good :

I watched it and yes it was good, and fair enough i think it changed my mind that its possible for a game to create loyalty in some situations.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Brand loyalty is a thing that exists.

One of the best moments in Madmen delves into that.

Brand loyalty in this MMO is quite strong actually. Because it cuts across Star Trek fans, who are fiercely loyal.

i am fiercely loyal to star trek, so much so that i dont consider jjcrapverse canon at all, or that STO is a perversion of everything wrong with no real goals besides a free pass to do what ever PWE would want and make money, money, money. besides the obvious comments about that money concern, there are ways to make the game better without selling the soul of star trek to do it.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • jerlikinsjerlikins Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    3. I used to be 1, but with the changes as of season 7, the game has become too much like work.
  • fourxgamerfourxgamer Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm number 1 all the way, just not how you describe it.

I want these very people to get it right, and have great success.

I want to commandeer the white board and motivate them. There are sooo many things
    that could be done in this game still. Things that aren't inflationary. We don't need to keep creeping with ships and powers, we need a purpose.

We don't need humongous, sterile city sphere planets. We need interesting and exotic home worlds with housing. We don't need Omega particles while there is no meaningful crafting. Starbases were supposed to be launching points for exploration and colonization, not simply stores. We need trade of something besides keys and lock-boxes.

I want to look Taco in the fangs and tell him there are things that can be done on interior maps even if they're just mini-games. Heck, put me in charge of Andoria and you will for darn sure have something(s) to do there shortly. I want to tell them more people would PvP if you made it so they stumbled into it. PvP red-alert style with numerical advantage to the defenders.

I complain on the forum that I want to spend money but can't find anything I need or at a price my brain can justify. I really just can't spend $50 on a space ship, I refuse. I already have ten or more perfectly good ones. I would buy items to build with, maps to build on, furnishings etc. at reasonable prices.

New Romulus was an attractive map but you know why I didn't go there much? Too many highwaymen. Tholians, Tal Shiar, Hirogen, insect swarms behind every bush. Too much. You'd think somebody would scan for life forms once in a while.

Nimbus was enjoyable, but the best parts are locked away in missions and one of the three dil dailies there in town is broken.

"Fan favorites" for the love of.. don't lock these away, you need these to hold us over until big changes come in.

see, i will keep ranting for hours. I swear I can help this game.

I've not played regularly for the last several months now, and the three times I did log in I crashed changing characters and just decided not to reenter.

tldr Sometimes being a number one is telling the young person with great potential they need to go to the hair salon and stop wearing baggy clothes everywhere, or in extreme cases, wash your hair, brush your teeth and take a shower. They may get angry and have hurt feelings but it really is in their best interest.
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Well, i'm still here, aren't I?
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm extremely loyal to STO. Unless they COMPLETELY and irrevocably TRIBBLE up the game, I'm staying.

The Devs are reasonably honest and competent, the CMs are not abusive jerks, and the players are for the most part decent people. The combat is fun and engaging, and the sheer VARIETY is incredible.

Best MMO I've ever played.
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I guess you could say that I am a "loyal customer" of STO, in that I continue to put money into the game and have little desire to put money into any others.

Aside from that, "invested" seems like a good choice of words. I am heavily invested in the game and in the community of STO players, at least as much as I am able to.

That does not mean that I turn a blind eye to the flaws of either the game or the community. But I find more than enough to enjoy about both that I will continue to be invested in them enough to overlook the few minor things I don't like.

I'll continue to be outspoken about things that I feel could be better, and I'll criticize where criticism is due. But I'm not going anywhere. This is still a great game that suits me pretty well, and Cryptic has my support.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek