test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What is your beef with the Galaxy Cryptic?

Comments

• Options
    altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    old habits probably die hard, shooting to kill would be rather uncommon before that moment for the command crew. and like i said, the galor was point blank with them. shooting in it half so it would explode brilliantly would have been detrimental to their own hull integrity. mission kill is as good as vaporized anyway, and required quite a bit less power, and means prisons potentially after the battle.

its one of the many things to scratch your head on. based on other examples of canon, why the hell did they act this way here? but that's star trek for ya.

ether way, how much of the array has the moving glow effect is a tell to how powerful the shot will be. a tiny charge up will be a weak shot, the damage they inflicted was at least consistent with the phaser effects.

You know, I still find that hard to believe. The mission was to get to DS9 and stop the minefield around the wormhole being disabled (assuming of course that Sisko bothered briefing the captains under his command), the current objective was to force open a hole in the Dominion lines, and you still want to shoot at half power (or the starhip version of the Phaser stun setting)? The Dominion lines were also flying in tight formation and a detonating Galor would do wonders against the deadlier Jem Hadar ships. Plus, I believe our beefy (no pun intended) Galaxy-class ships could take it better than the Mirandas and Excelsiors behind them.

In the end, I guess I should chalk it up to being a "cinematic enjoyment scene" than a weapons test of the Galaxy-class. It does look cool. Same for that shot in TNG in which the ENT-D shot a phaser beam from its forward photon torpedo tube. Wait, shouldn't two weak beams count as a strong beam then?

Bah, I need to go for a jog or something. See you gents in a bit.
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • Options
    thegrimcorsairthegrimcorsair Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I... I don't understand why you would do shots to disable in a time of war against your enemies. Even if they were trying to disable that Galor, shouldn't you let just one captain do it instead of accidentally overdoing it with a second ship and detonating the warp core that you were trying so hard not to breach? The Galor also seems to be moving out of the way to avoid a head-on collision with the Galaxy than anything (it was doing pot-shots before stopping to move) .

It's the concept of a "Mission Kill." Basically, it likely took less resources for each Galaxy to split the job of disabling the Galor, than it would for one them to bear the burden of killing it completely, and in a pitched battle, making sure you have the resources to see it through would be pretty damned important.
    If you feel Keel'el's effect is well designed, please, for your own safety, be very careful around shallow pools of water.
  • Options
    greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Given how violently warp cores explode in actual Star Trek, I imagine that the general idea in any fight you plan on surviving when close to other ships doesn't involve trying to blow them up.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    It's the concept of a "Mission Kill." Basically, it likely took less resources for each Galaxy to split the job of disabling the Galor, than it would for one them to bear the burden of killing it completely, and in a pitched battle, making sure you have the resources to see it through would be pretty damned important.

I guess so... the concept seems sound even when applied to ships (which probably why they didn't riddle it with photon torpedoes instead). It still feels like that scene (which is still very cool after all those years since I saw "Sacrifice of Angels" when it first aired) was more of a statement of a Galaxy-class's skill than it's raw fighting power.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    it would be quite a bit weaker actually, or other ships would be much stronger. the entire wings and a good portion of the interior is devoted to the thaloron super weapon, that's why its so large. it may have a large number of guns, but they are all pretty small, and pretty spread out to cover every arc. its doesn't have any guns near to the scale of the huge nose cannon the d'deridex has, or those big under slung cannons on the negvar, or a galaxy main array. the scimitar is a super weapon platform, with an emphasis on stealth and defense so it can deliver its weapon. the large number of smallish guns is to deal with swarms of attackers it might have to deal with, there was no capital ship grade cannons on the scimitar in that movie.
    True, but that Thalaron weapon kills everyone on board enemy ships if it manages to fire. On the other hand, killing crew in STO at the moment means squat. =p
  • Options
    thegrimcorsairthegrimcorsair Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    True, but that Thalaron weapon kills everyone on board enemy ships if it manages to fire. On the other hand, killing crew in STO at the moment means squat. =p

That's because all ships in STO come with level 3 piloting upgrade for free. Hell, just because of that I fly around with all my docking hatches open at all times... sadly it doesn't help with plasma fires quite as much as I might like. :(
    If you feel Keel'el's effect is well designed, please, for your own safety, be very careful around shallow pools of water.
  • Options
    ruthbutton09ruthbutton09 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Ifind the exploration cruiser should not be OP or buffed, same as the GAL-R should only be alittle more powerful, however, the Out and Out WARSHIP Dreadnought and Fleet Dreadnought SHOULd be Quite a bit mor powerful. upg the boff slotts, to a lt comm tac and lt uni. the sci should be an lt comm too. since let's fce it gal's have HUGE ****ing bridges with massive crews, they've GOT the commanders and LT commanders to spare. so for cryptic to TRIBBLE **** the galaxy series just because is kinda silly. you don't see them making the BORT's suck TRIBBLE just because.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Ifind the exploration cruiser should not be OP or buffed, same as the GAL-R should only be alittle more powerful, however, the Out and Out WARSHIP Dreadnought and Fleet Dreadnought SHOULd be Quite a bit mor powerful. upg the boff slotts, to a lt comm tac and lt uni. the sci should be an lt comm too. since let's fce it gal's have HUGE ****ing bridges with massive crews, they've GOT the commanders and LT commanders to spare. so for cryptic to TRIBBLE **** the galaxy series just because is kinda silly. you don't see them making the BORT's suck TRIBBLE just because.

Ugh....I don't know what forum template you're using, but this blue color on the text is killing my eyes. You migh want to consider switching to something brighter becuase of grey/black backgrounds.

Anyway - it's funny that you say you didn't see them making the Bortasqu' suck, because 50% or more of the KDF players on the forum think it sucks. :D Just saying as a comparison, personally I'm in the other half that absolutely loves that ship. :)
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    ruthbutton09ruthbutton09 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    Ugh....I don't know what forum template you're using, but this blue color on the text is killing my eyes. You migh want to consider switching to something brighter becuase of grey/black backgrounds.

Anyway - it's funny that you say you didn't see them making the Bortasqu' suck, because 50% or more of the KDF players on the forum think it sucks. :D Just saying as a comparison, personally I'm in the other half that absolutely loves that ship. :)

then they're idiots. my kdf's borts are hilarious fun.

all i'm saying is at the VERY LEAST, the fed's dreadnought and Fleet dreadnought should reflect its out and out warship status. and an across the borard increase of boff station ranks is pretty necessary. the galaxy's weren't awesome because they were OP, but because their hull internal space was packed with so much **** they had the utility to do pretty much anything. they're st's Batman. Prep time = plot armour, and so, the sto versions' boff stations should reflect that, letting you build it for hoe you want it. instead it DOES seem to be excessively gimped on purpose by cryptic. in the tac and sci areas.
  • Options
    stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I guess so... the concept seems sound even when applied to ships (which probably why they didn't riddle it with photon torpedoes instead). It still feels like that scene (which is still very cool after all those years since I saw "Sacrifice of Angels" when it first aired) was more of a statement of a Galaxy-class's skill than it's raw fighting power.

Still, it makes sense according to the context.

In most of the TNG battles, we see the Enterprise-D facing off against enemies that are hundreds or thousands of kilometers away. A distance that allowed the Ent-D to safely fire at full intensity, cause the enemy ship to core breach, and explode without taking significant damage. Great distances allow the core breach to be effectively less damaging.

We have also seen what happens when core breaches explode too close - ships take damage and even fall out of the sky (ST: Generations).

In the Dominion War battles, and in the Sacrifice of Angels battle scene, ships were flying in such a tight formation that a core breach could not only risk damaging or destroying the attacking ship, but the attacker's friends as well. Since the whole point of the battle was to get the Defiant and Fleet to DS9, they couldn't afford to lose ships due to AoE core breaches. Thus, a subsystem target assault is the best solution versus the larger ships, that way they are neutralized without breaching.

Even look at Nemesis. The Scimitar fired a concentrated cannon burst that didn't breach either of the Mogai's cores. They were aiming to disable, to avoid core breaches which would hit the Scimitar and endanger the cloaking device.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    then they're idiots. my kdf's borts are hilarious fun.

all i'm saying is at the VERY LEAST, the fed's dreadnought and Fleet dreadnought should reflect its out and out warship status. and an across the borard increase of boff station ranks is pretty necessary. the galaxy's weren't awesome because they were OP, but because their hull internal space was packed with so much **** they had the utility to do pretty much anything. they're st's Batman. Prep time = plot armour, and so, the sto versions' boff stations should reflect that, letting you build it for hoe you want it. instead it DOES seem to be excessively gimped on purpose by cryptic. in the tac and sci areas.

It's obvious that a large number of universal stations is how you represent a ship thats especially modular. What a terrible missed opportunity the reboot was. Station flipping on separation would have been perfect too.

The dread is harder to define really. im personally in favor of its removal from the game and everyone forgetting all about it. An extra nacelle for the hell of it, and the lance that hasn't shown firepower superior to what the main arrays has done all look about as functionally useful as putting a wing on a civic.

But if I must take it seriously, and assume it's not a joke ship q created on a wim, it could be quite an upgrade, if we assume a lot and give the ship the benefit of the doubt. It's total power output may be quite a bit higher, with the the expanded impulse engines in its neck. To fully supply a 3rd nacelle with power, the warp care is also prolly larger. All that extra power probably easily powers a cloak and lance, which we just have to assume is more powerful then the huge arrays it has. The lance still sucks, the arrays can hit anything in their line of sight at full power, that's the point of the array over old style banks or cannon barrels. Biggest reason the lance is stupid, you have to throw out 70 years of phaser technological progress to think the lance is a good idea, vs beefing up the arrays in some way.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    It's obvious that a large number of universal stations is how you represent a ship thats especially modular. What a terrible missed opportunity the reboot was. Station flipping on separation would have been perfect too.
    This is actually one of your suggestions I'd be on board with. Adding real functionality to gimmicks like that is a real grabber for me.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    What a terrible missed opportunity the reboot was. Station flipping on separation would have been perfect too.

Ain't that the truth. I'm not sure if we can even call it a reboot, it was more of 'smoke and mirrors' really. I mean, what was rebooted? If they were so reluctant to change anything on the Galaxy-R, they could have at least made an Enterprise-D TNG bridge and fix the glaring flaws on the ship models. That would have been something, they could've said we're not changing the damn ship, but here's a little something for you Galaxy fans and your favourite ship.
    This was just a cover up to try and shut people down about the Galaxy-R while they put out the long planned Fleet Galaxy-X.

The station flipping is a real wasted opportunity though. That was a great chance for them to keep the basic Galaxy-R heavy in engineering as they obviously want her to be, while at the same time giving the people a ship that could be enjoyed and making them some money in the process.
    I've read your complete proposal on how the station swapping would work and how the stations should be changed when separated and I must say it's a pitty they didn't take note. That was a great suggestion, very sensible and not pushing the ship even near to the realm of OP, just plain usefull.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    stargazer918stargazer918 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    If I would make any Improvements, I would make it defensively powerful, by shields and by better engineering stations, almost replicating the Galaxy class from TNG.
    Commander James
    26th Fleet
    Task Force Avalon - CO USS Intrepid

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I think this signature will suffice.

If you would quote this post, I will create a banner with your name on it.

(Feel free to request a colour. RGB, colour index or just plain "Red!!" will suffice.)

Remember, this isn't about a protest. It's a silent encouragement for Cryptic to take a second look at the Galaxy-class in STO.

Instructions:
    Changing the signature picture:
    Once I've created your own signature banner, download it to the desktop and do the following:
    1. Go to the STO Forums User Control Panel.
    2. Click on "Edit Signature".
    3. Scroll down to the section about uploading a custom banner. Click "Browse" and look for your banner on the hard drive. Click OK.
    4. Click Upload.
    5. The page will refresh with the new banner. Click "Save Signature" to confirm changes. And that's it!

For those who want to have the signature picture "clickable", do this:

(URL="YOUR URL HERE")(SIGPIC)(/SIGPIC)(/URL)
    Replace ( and ) with /B] and [B.

I would like "stargazer918"in red
    Commander James
    26th Fleet

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I wanna know what you guys would think of the possibility of a Mirror Universe Exploration Cruiser Retrofit in the next lockbox. If the current trend continues, it'll feature a LtCmdr Sci, and possibly a different console configuration as well. And of course, the option to use the prime universe's hull type and ship name prefix.

Thoughts on the possibility?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I wanna know what you guys would think of the possibility of a Mirror Universe Exploration Cruiser Retrofit in the next lockbox. If the current trend continues, it'll feature a LtCmdr Sci, and possibly a different console configuration as well. And of course, the option to use the prime universe's hull type and ship name prefix.

That would be cool, with saucer separation as well. it could be BETTER Exploration Cruiser than the normal one.
    Commander James
    26th Fleet

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2014

Doesn't do anything for me.

First of all, because I hate the MU with a passion. But more importantly, because it won't be a fleet level ship, so less consoles, less hull, lower shield mod...
    That is not the solution I'm looking for, nor much of a solution at all for that matter.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I'm with shpoks on this. While a MU Exploration Cruiser would be neat, the lack of a fleet version will nag me. I'm still attracted to an earlier statement in this thread on the theory of how a five-tactical-console ship is as effective as a five-engineering-console and a five-science-console ship.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • Options
    edited April 2014

I figured it would be the mirror opposite of the Cheyenne and neghvar. So, LTC tac and ENS sci. Oh but the galaxy should have an LTC tac! Well, mirror universe. Don't for get the ktinga too, that would be as awesome
  • Options
    admiralq1732admiralq1732 Member Posts: 1,560 Arc User
    edited April 2014

A tacitcal oreient Gal. Hell yes. heck I would love to see the galx and oddy for that as well.
  • Options
    jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited April 2014

I would like to see the mirror universe prime ships from all 3 factions as the festured ships in the lock box

Fed
    Klingon
    Rom
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I figured it would be the mirror opposite of the Cheyenne and neghvar. So, LTC tac and ENS sci. Oh but the galaxy should have an LTC tac! Well, mirror universe. Don't for get the ktinga too, that would be as awesome
    Eh, I was thinking mirror Gal-R would have the LtCmdr Sci and the mirror Gal-X would have the LtCmdr tac. But either could work. A mirror Gal-X with a LtCmdr sci could Grav Well like the Stadi is known for. *shrug*
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Eh, I was thinking mirror Gal-R would have the LtCmdr Sci and the mirror Gal-X would have the LtCmdr tac. But either could work. A mirror Gal-X with a LtCmdr sci could Grav Well like the Stadi is known for. *shrug*

yaaaaa i would SO not bet on there ever being a mirror version of a fully 2500 C point C store ship. a mirror galaxy R would be a stretch, it might be more likely to happen if it was based on the tier 4 galaxy, have those real bad costume options, and not be able to use the sep console.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    yaaaaa i would SO not bet on there ever being a mirror version of a fully 2500 C point C store ship. a mirror galaxy R would be a stretch, it might be more likely to happen if it was based on the tier 4 galaxy, have those real bad costume options, and not be able to use the sep console.
    Or it would just turn out rarer than normal mirror ships. Granted it's not likely, though they'll have to run out of basic Fed mirror retrofits for lockboxes eventually.
  • Options
    stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited April 2014

XX
    XXXX
    XX

TRIBBLE
    X

All I ask for. Don't even change the boff layout of 4/3/2. It would be pretty good as a PvP team healer. Or, even X XXXX TRIBBLE TRIBBLE X would be even better.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Why don't you guys just fly a Fleet Nova? It has at least a Lt. Cmd. Tactical Slot.
    And the big Galaxys not..

Think of this: the little Science Fleet Nova has a Lt. Cmd. Tactical Slot....
    This little ship...

Muahahaha :

*runs away from this thread to avoid rage*
  • Options
    supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I was having a debate about the Galaxy's combat abilities with some fleeties and its always the tired old arguments that come up

1, She was built in peacetime
    2, She has families on board
    3, She was an explorer
    4, The Odyssey was destroyed by the Jem'hadar

Then i posed this question to them, during the run of the TNG - VOY name me one Federation ship excluding the Ent-E/Sovereign (As she was not used during the T.V run) that was more powerful than a Galaxy class ?

The fleet channel went silent and i'm still after 2 days waiting for a response :D
    I think i won the argument that the Galaxy during the this period was the Fed's most powerful starship.

People also try to justify the Excelsior being better than a Galaxy in this game due to the Lakota and how she performed against a small, heavily armed, armoured escort, that was shown to pop bugships left, right and centre but nothing outside its own weight class. I'd actually suggest this shows the limitations of the Defiant and how she wasn't designed to take on larger capital ships one on one
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    (...)
    1, She was built in peacetime
    2, She has families on board
    3, She was an explorer
    4, The Odyssey was destroyed by the Jem'hadar
    (...)

It's the same arguments all the time and they probably won't ever change :D I'll just go through them one more time, just for fun ^^

1. She wasn't. The UFP has always been at war with somebody, be it skirmishes or cold war. Further, being built in a time of realtive peace results in the biggest Starship in-canon to be not fitted with the most advanced defensive systems is something nobody could explain to me to this day. This only holds water if we assume everyone in the UFP is a idiot.

2. Every Starship in Starfleet which embarked on long-range missions could take the families of officers who served at least for six months on board. This is true for at least the Galaxy, Miranda and Ambassador Class and there is no reason to assume it would be different on other ships. Starfleet is not the US military and a Starfleet officer is NOT a marine trained to kill. People, especially servicemen/women, have to ultimately abandon their urge to project their servicetime onto Star Trek. The families were a boost especially to crews that would operate away from home for years. It was a risk, of course, and every officer was probably well aware of that. Further, if ships were to debark on missions that involved conflict or were only short term, civilians and non-essential personnel was dropped off beforehand (Example: USS Oddyssey, most likely Enterprise-E).

3. Yes, it was an Explorer. "Explorer" designates the heaviest class of Starships Starfleet built since those ships were meant to operate without support for years, facing the UNKNOWN. Assuming just because we don't use the term "war, battle, tactical" or "combat" for any of this means those ships were in any way shape or form uncapable of dealing with the UNKNOWN is just idiocy. Starfleet is a different kind of organization and their heaviest "battleships" are dubbed "Explorers". It's just a different term, like the heaviest ships in the Vogon fleet in the hitchhiker's universe are called "Constructors". Get over it, no cool "battlewardoomdreadship" for Starfleet. Mature, get over it and move on.

4. Phased polaron beams ignored Starfleet shielding, Oddysseys weapons were most likely compromised (the Runabouts didn't do any damage either when later they could. Anyone arguing that a Runabout has stronger weapons? :D) and in the end she fell victim to a kamikaze run.

Anything fundamentally wrong with this? :)
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
This discussion has been closed.