test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is everyone happy that the Federation/Klingon war is over?

Comments

• Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It's about damn time. Stupid war never made sense to me in the first place. I feel like STO can finally move on from that absurdity. Let's go fight the real bad guys instead of each other.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Nope, not happy the war is over as it was handled poorly when it started, given no life or direction except in the PT2409 history when it existed and ended horribly without having even been used as a backdrop for the events that existed and do exist now.
    The war is it was implimented in STO was meant to be the chaos sorrounding the Player as they went from loyality blinded novice to eyes wide open to the truth veteran. We never got that storyline in the few fed missions and certainly not in the even fewer KDF missions. There was no experience of character growth established in game play from a storyline perspective.
    As others have said, STO has effectively been one long beta test.

I liked that the federation realized thier error in ignoring the Klingon Empires warning of the Undine.
    I liked that the Devs wrote in a apology, a sacrifice of pride to help save Qo'nos from destruction, and a humble acceptance of the mistakes of the past.
    It does not mean the Empire is now kissing and hugging the feds.

I hate that pvp has been made co-op but not rehashed and balanced. To me co-op signals the further decline of factional diversity as no reasons now exist to keep the feel of gameplay seperate.

I dislike the fact that the Undine hunt was not given more attention on the KDF side of things before season 9 so the player has a in game reason to know why the end of the war is significant.

This having been said, I enjoyed the new FE very much. It is well designed and well scripted. I am merely sad that the story leading up to its arrival did not sense from a story perspective due to its not being fully developed from the PoV of both factions.
    The feds should have a series of missions that expressly gave the player allowed the player the insight of the subversion towards the conclusion at the S9 FE.
    The KDF needed similiar missions that showed our hunt of the Undine in exclusion of the feds denial. It could have been a fun Gorn series of missions.

Frankly I am not happy the war is over because I as a player was never allowed to enjoy it due to its bungled existance, which is the only reason the war never made sense to its nay sayers.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    I hate that pvp has been made co-op but not rehashed and balanced. To me co-op signals the further decline of factional diversity as no reasons now exist to keep the feel of gameplay seperate.

I see it as not having to wait 40+ minutes for a queue to pop.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Nope, not happy the war is over as it was handled poorly when it started, given no life or direction except in the PT2409 history when it existed and ended horribly without having even been used as a backdrop for the events that existed and do exist now.
    The war is it was implimented in STO was meant to be the chaos sorrounding the Player as they went from loyality blinded novice to eyes wide open to the truth veteran. We never got that storyline in the few fed missions and certainly not in the even fewer KDF missions. There was no experience of character growth established in game play from a storyline perspective.

I liked that the federation realized thier error in ignoring the Klingon Empires warning of the Undine.
    I liked that the Devs wrote in a apology, a sacrifice of pride to help save Qo'nos from destruction, and a humble acceptance of the mistakes of the past.

I dislike the fact that the Undine hunt was not given more attention on the KDF side of things before season 9 so the player has a in game reason to know why the end of the war is significant.

Agreed on all acounts.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Yes. And good riddance to something that made absolutely no sense, considering all of the joint task forces both are a part of.

Time to start killing the REAL bad guys. And from what I've seen in the new FE and Borg/Undine revamp, the bad guys are in need of some serious killin'.

This^^^^^

I'm happy about the end of the war. Hopefully the expansion will deal with it some more!
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I see it as not having to wait 40+ minutes for a queue to pop.

A benefit of the cease fire for sure, but that long wait would not have existed if more feds had left the comfort of FvF and ventured into FvK.
    Now that we do have co-op, I hope balance follows that is not just vanilla meshing of the factions.
    Water under the bridge now that the co-op is live.

R.I.P
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    A benefit of the cease fire for sure, but that long wait would not have existed if more feds had left the comfort of FvF and ventured into FvK.
    Now that we do have co-op, I hope balance follows that is not just vanilla meshing of the factions.

Well, you see the rage about the little power creep limiter that reputations were. I reserve some doubts PvP will improve, but I honestly believe it's competely irrelevant whether there is a KDF vs FED war going on or not to improve PvP chances of being balanced.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014

This having been said, I enjoyed the new FE very much. It is well designed and well scripted. I am merely sad that the story leading up to its arrival did not sense from a story perspective due to its not being fully developed from the PoV of both factions.
    The feds should have a series of missions that expressly gave the player allowed the player the insight of the subversion towards the conclusion at the S9 FE.
    The KDF needed similiar missions that showed our hunt of the Undine in exclusion of the feds denial. It could have been a fun Gorn series of missions.

Frankly I am not happy the war is over because I as a player was never allowed to enjoy it due to its bungled existance, which is the only reason the war never made sense to its nay sayers.

Completely agree with all of that.
    Honestly lost most of my interest in PvP with this update, now that faction choice in PvP has been trivialized and dumbed down to little more than what ships we can fly.
  • Options
    spacebaronlinespacebaronline Member Posts: 1,103 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    valoreah wrote: »
    This sums up the feeling for me as well. I liked the episode. It was fun to play through and IMO served as a good ending to the war plot. With that said, it serves to show just how terribly written the early content is for both factions.

The Fed/KDF war was never set up properly from the beginning. It made little sense to the Feds and almost no sense to the KDF after they found out about the Undine - it was more like a B'Vat house feud with the Feds being the other house. It was long past the time that something plausible could be added to justify continuing it.

As far as PvP goes - that has been in decline for awhile - some days you could get an FvK match to pop in a few minutes - other times it was hours. Often CnH went more then Arena.

Also if Cryptic has not done it already - I want them to make all Q'd missions/content cross faction - I hate having to wait over 1 hour for a colony invasion on the KDF side for fleet marks.

Same with teaming on Defera and New Romulus - they need to make cross faction teaming live - ASAP if it's not done already.
  • Options
    tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    There was a war with the Klingons? When did this happen?
    After milk and cookies but before nap time.
    Completely agree with all of that.
    Honestly lost most of my interest in PvP with this update, now that faction choice in PvP has been trivialized and dumbed down to little more than what ships we can fly.
    It was NEVER anything more than a choice in what ships we can fly. Did you notice that this is just a video game?
  • Options
    adabisiadabisi Member Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Nope not happy at all.
    Today we fight the GAULS......monstrous and HAIRY beyond reason.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Not to mention, what in the Grethor am I to do with all these "Better Dead than Fed" T-shirts?

R.I.P
  • Options
    havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Not to mention, what in the Grethor am I to do with all these "Better Dead than Fed" T-shirts?

ROFL, send em over, i ll turn them into our fleet uniform :)

on a serious note, the way the game has been since release the war was poorly handled.

Now there are many opportunities missed here for story telling, lore, incentivising factional sales, and giving more depth overall to the game by adding unique options and styles, PvP, keeping player in the game,...

However, these would truly take a change in direction and be a major update more like LoR then S9. Until then i m happy to kill undine, and have pvp queues pop for my kdf toons.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

Well in all fairness I can't comment on the episode from a KDF perspective as I only had time to set up one toon(all the traits and rep changes/loadouts extra) so I chose a Fed/Romulan. When I get back in game I will set up one of my 7 Klingon toons and run it again(well technically she is Orion:D) and run the episode from the KDF side. I doubt the dialoge will be much different then what my Fed/rommie toon got but it still should be interesting.

As I said in my last post - they better make Defera and New romulas cross teaming happen soon - it's a pain getting a group together a lot of the time. That also has made no sense from the beginning - you fight Borg together in space - but you can't on the ground? And you can't chase Romulan bunnies together either? Silly.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

I think they are planning a new "novelty" shop outlet on the updated ESD!!:eek: Maybe that was the real reason for the revamp:eek:
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2014

And that I still find to be a trip. With Romulans, somehow the KDF were still the boogeymen. It was both annoying while waiting, but also just kind of funny...a trip for sure. And considering there were fewer KDF premades, so a lower chance of running into the pustomping that was rampant in FvF...meh, sad and funny at the same time. Oh noes, evil KDF boogeymen! Meh...silly Feds.

But yeah, seeing folks go to 3-4 matches while twiddling thumbs myself waiting for a queue...meh, it really got old.
  • Options
    cretinextracretinextra Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The "war" was a farce I'm glad it's over, but maybe "glad" ain't the right word as nothing changed anyway.
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I do wonder if they plan to adjust the doffing system for the KDF to still give contraband prisoners but against other enemies other than the federation since the war is suppossed to be over with. Maybe at the least getting same rewards except make the prisoners undine infiltrators and then the others stuff like maybe convoy duty or something.

I do wonder though how the issues with the augments, gorn rebellion, and true way fall now that the quadrant is basically undivided when it comes to the 3 major powers of the alpha and beta quadrants.

It does make sense overall that they ended it due to the fact that it was like a cease fire in between ques lol. A lot of those canon episodes of the future all depicted either an unstable stance between the federation and klingon empire or either at full blown war so they kinda kept it canon but ending it also makes it canon with the enterprise-J battle with sphere builders where pretty much every alpha/beta quadrant species pretty much united against them lol. So hopefully this is good for the whole game and maybe see them push out some fed and kdf item sets like the romulans have and maybe some more canon ground weapons to use for both factions then i'll be a happy camper. I was upset at first with losing so many active passives from rep system but since it benefitted some b'rel bomber builds I am not as upset as I once was.
  • Options
    sle1989sle1989 Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Count me as someone happy this war is over. It only would have been viable had the player base split been 50/50, but it's not. There are far, far more feds than either KDF or Rom players (Probably combined).

They could have had a lot more areas like Kerrat, perhaps even the whole sector block could have been a PvP area control/king of the hill type game, but with the way the player base is split the Feds would have steamrolled the KDF through shear numbers. That would have quickly become boring though, especially since many KDF players would have quit, it's no fun to loose all the time.

It doesn't even matter if the KDF had been equal to the Feds the entire time, the split between the two factions would still largely favor the Feds. People want to live out their fantasy of being a STARFLEET captain. That's why they play this game. That's why the player base largely favors Feds. That's why Cryptic focuses on updating the Feds.

So because of all this, faction vs faction PvP will never be viable in this game. Never. So I'm glad this war is over, it should never have existed in the first place.
    y1arXbh.png

• Options
    sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014
    What war? There were never direct large scale engagements between the two powers in the first place just a few pointless skirmishes. And it would be nice if they adjusted the missions queues accordingly so that cross faction teams would be possible.
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Is everyone happy that the Federation/Klingon war is over?
    Can a mod edit the spoilers out of the thread title please? There are people that have not played the featured episode yet.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    sqwished wrote: »
    What war? There were never direct large scale engagements between the two powers in the first place just a few pointless skirmishes. And it would be nice if they adjusted the missions queues accordingly so that cross faction teams would be possible.

I think that was the biggest problem of the whole "war" - there were never any large scale type engagements. Sure there was SB24, Gorn minefield, Klingon scout force and a few others - but they were mostly low level stuff.

If they had put in some kind of territory control system or the ability to capture certain planets on the galactic map- then that could have made things viable.

But I don't think those will happen now.
  • Options
    colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I just see it as a further sign of LAZINESS.

Going forward, they no longer have to deal with 2 storylines (or 3). Some content was already poorly shoe horned in for KDF or Romulans anyway and made little sense.

Now they can just create generic content not having to worry about continuity or logic. Now we all get to be nice, and hug every filthy alien we encounter and try and be helpful and kind.

Oh well, as a Romulan, I made sure and downloaded every bit of data I could on ESD while everyone was paying attention to Admiral Quinn. I really tried to give the Undine time to blow up Quonos and rid us of the Klingons for good but Shon had to show up and ruin it. Now if I can just fake data exposing the traitor and terrorist D'Tan as undine, we may finally end his disastrous reign
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    Can a mod edit the spoilers out of the thread title please? There are people that have not played the featured episode yet.

As many have pointed out, including the last FE and comments in the dev blogs, comments from devs on podcasts - they clearly telegraphed that the war was ending and a "New Accord" ( S9 title) between the Federation and the KDF was coming. For it to be a spoiler - you would have to have missed a LOT of dev blogs and dev comments.
  • Options
    infinitesimal1infinitesimal1 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Yes iam !!!
  • Options
    stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I for one, approve of the Fed/KDF war. It was stupid.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • Options
    rakija879rakija879 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The simulated pvp war on the holodeck between federation and the klingons is over.
    The queue died of boredom so J'mpok and admiral Quinn decided to nerf everything and to fight the undine in pve content like real sto players :P
    But in the meantime there will be poetry reading, drama and concerts organised between the two factions to ease the blood-thirst! :D