test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 9 Dev Blog #5: Changes to Reputation Powers

Comments

• trelane87trelane87 Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    That or Season 9: A NOOB Accord...

Come on guys lets all get out our old tier 3 ships, put on every type of energy beam weapon possible and then train our boffs in cannon scatter volley :P

I feel like that is the crowd the devs are trying to make happy.. instead of nerfing vets because 3 noobs tried pvp and someone made them cry why don't they add some learning resources or a guide to ship builds... you can't expect lazy people to look up this kind of info, it has to be spoon fed to them
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    In fact, no one did.

A few of the oft repeated suggestions on how to do this are:

- Keep things as is and let players keep getting passives on and on until infinity. (An example of people who have indeed do what you say no one did).

- Keep the passives at 8 choices, which is still an example of maintaining a status quo.

- Stop adding passives in new reps and keep things as they currently are.

I don't know, I mean I see these suggestions quite a bit. And all of them are pretty much people saying to keep things as is, really suggesting that they think this is not needed.

Many posts over the various thread even start off with the simple feedback that they don't like this change and it isn't needed.

That doesn't seem like a strawman to me. Suggesting it is a strawman, smacks a bit of being a strawman ... but this is the internet, so that's just par for the course imo.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    trelane87 wrote: »
    That or Season 9: A NOOB Accord...

Come on guys lets all get out our old tier 3 ships, put on every type of energy beam weapon possible and then train our boffs in cannon scatter volley :P

I feel like that is the crowd the devs are trying to make happy.. instead of nerfing vets because 3 noobs tried pvp and someone made them cry why don't they add some learning resources or a guide to ship builds... you can't expect lazy people to look up this kind of info, it has to be spoon fed to them

I agree with you. I'm going see what happens when I put my Fed character under the new system. I'm going see how overpowered I can make her from the stuff I learned. Which should be really easy for any veteran.
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Meaningfull choice my TRIBBLE, really. I have a Romulan, Klingon and Federation character. I have been testing the reputation system on tribble. So, this morning, I decided to take a Subadmiiral Federation ship aka Defiant and give it to the Romulan authorities. I equipped her with no fleet weapons just the basic Tier XI. I went into the Voth zones and steamrolled the content. Now, the Undine is as hard so the ship can easily steamrolled.

Instead of letting keep we earned. Cryptic decided to limit wha we earned and basically did not resolve the overpower issue. The issue is some people aren't willing to learn game mechanics to optimize the best build. They went crying like babies to Cryptic because they are easily beaten by the more skilled players who Worked at getting a certain level.

Season 9: should be "Lack of Cryptic Competence on a Grand Scale" starring Cryptic and special guest Cryptic Cheerleaders and Hawk

That includes the Cheerleader Moderators and Hawk.

I'm going to say this once and then I'm going to step away from this topic for good: seek help. If you're this angry over changes, then you really need some help. Truthfully, I really hope you're just trolling, but if you're not, this is entirely too unhealthy.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I agree with you. I'm going see what happens when I put my Fed character under the new system. I'm going see how overpowered I can make her from the stuff I learned. Which should be really easy for any veteran.

Wait, you're actually going to play the game after season 9 goes live? Why? I thought you were moving on? Because of season 9? Why would you use the season 9 changes to make your character more powerful?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I don't know, I mean I see these suggestions quite a bit. And all of them are pretty much people saying to keep things as is, really suggesting that they think this is not needed.

Many posts over the various thread even start off with the simple feedback that they don't like this change and it isn't needed.

Sooo missing the point.

I have yet to hear *anyone* claim the rep system is 'Infinitely scalable.' Literally *all* ppl I have seen post agree at least on that.

And no, man-friend, capping the rep levels at where they are *now*, as suggested by me and many others, is NOT the same as ppl saying nothing should change! That is just a gross error in your own logic, making the rest of your retort kinda moot.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Meaningfull choice my TRIBBLE, really. I have a Romulan, Klingon and Federation character. I have been testing the reputation system on tribble. So, this morning, I decided to take a Subadmiiral Federation ship aka Defiant and give it to the Romulan authorities. I equipped her with no fleet weapons just the basic Tier XI. I went into the Voth zones and steamrolled the content. Now, the Undine is as hard so the ship can easily steamrolled.

Instead of letting keep we earned. Cryptic decided to limit what we earned and basically did not resolve the overpower issue. The issue is some people aren't willing to learn game mechanics to optimize the best build. They went crying like babies to Cryptic because they are easily beaten by the more skilled players who Worked at getting a certain level.

Season 9: should be "Lack of Cryptic Competence on a Grand Scale" starring Cryptic and special guest Cryptic Cheerleaders and Hawk

That includes the Cheerleader Moderators and Hawk.
    Cryptic is just running in circles. Even though we are getting some aesthetic upgrades, the majority of the stuff in season nine is recycled mechanics, missions, and species. "Star Trek: Online" kept me busy for a small period of time. Once you have played the game for a few months, the repetitious nature of "Star Trek: Online" bores you down. Revamping ESD, rep systems, kits, and a few missions does not perk my interest. I have already reached my goals. I have nothing more to accomplish.

My current reputation system:
    Dyson - T5
    Nukara - T3
    Romulan - T3
    Omega - T4

One avatar is all I needed.

I give up.
  • vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Wait, you're actually going to play the game after season 9 goes live? Why? I thought you were moving on? Because of season 9? Why would you use the season 9 changes to make your character more powerful?

Actually, I have been learning C++ game programming, 3d modelling game assets in Second Life, and also practicing my own 3D Star Trek related stuff.

So, I will be moving on to create a independent but STO model is a great start minus the extra TRIBBLE the recycles itself every season. So, I might hop on a little for fleetmates but seriously its easy for a Fed to run through content. It's obviously easy after the playing Tribble.

The group that was playering on Tribble in the new battlezone.

1st planet killer took about 8 mins.
    2rnd took half that.

Third time, took us 3 mins. Talk about difficulty in game content.
  • spookpwaspookpwa Member Posts: 316 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Actually, I have been learning C++ game programming, 3d modelling game assets in Second Life, and also practicing my own 3D Star Trek related stuff.

So, I will be moving on to create a independent but STO model is a great start minus the extra TRIBBLE the recycles itself every season. So, I might hop on a little for fleetmates but seriously its easy for a Fed to run through content. It's obviously easy after the playing Tribble.

The group that was playering on Tribble in the new battlezone.

1st planet killer took about 8 mins.
    2rnd took half that.

Third time, took us 3 mins. Talk about difficulty in game content.

Now you have done it!
    After that comment they will add endless opening portals that spawn endless amounts of enemy ships. :P
    Double_e23652_217093.jpg

A test server is supposed to be used to properly test patches before patching anything....
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I have yet to hear *anyone* claim the rep system is 'Infinitely scalable.' Literally *all* ppl I have seen post agree at least on that.
    Your failure to notice several posts claiming exactly that in various threads does not render those posts nonexistant.

Nor does it change the fact that the system is infinitely scalable. There is no inherent problem with a player having an arbitrarily high number of rep passives. All it needs in response is more challenging opponents and missions. The "problem" of certain people not wanting old players to be more powerful than new ones does not become one of scalability simply because someone dropped the word in a blog post.
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    warpangel wrote: »
    Your failure to notice several posts claiming exactly that in various threads does not render those posts nonexistant.

Nor does it change the fact that the system is infinitely scalable. There is no inherent problem with a player having an arbitrarily high number of rep passives. All it needs in response is more challenging opponents and missions. The "problem" of certain people not wanting old players to be more powerful than new ones does not become one of scalability simply because someone dropped the word in a blog post.

And Cryptic not wanting to work on adding harder content.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited April 2014
    when a new player sees scimitar take out a entire side on side at kitomer while he and 4 others work the other side in the fed ships.........

thats a real moral booster isnt it..........

the OP chatacters and ships are not being addressed with this revamp...

Noobs wont know about these changes...................They will just see how inferior they are

They will come ....See.....lose heart.......and leave

This revamp of rep powers is a waste of resources and time that could be put to better use controlling out of control power creep which is the main thing hurting this Game
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
    edited April 2014
    jellico1 wrote: »
    when a new player sees scimitar take out a entire side on side at kitomer while he and 4 others work the other side in the fed ships.........

thats a real moral booster isnt it..........

the OP chatacters and ships are not being addressed with this revamp...

Noobs wont know about these changes...................They will just see how inferior they are

They will come ....See.....lose heart.......and leave

This revamp of rep powers is a waste of resources and time that could be put to better use controlling out of control power creep which is the main thing hurting this Game

That sounds like a juicy looser there. Seems like it just is you being jelly.

Most people start out weak in games. Every Mmo. Usually they work up their way to get the best gear themselves too.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
    edited April 2014
    I got 6 maxed out Romulan toons

3kdf 3 fed

what are you on about ?

edited April 2014
    warpangel wrote: »

Nor does it change the fact that the system is infinitely scalable. (...) The "problem" of certain people not wanting old players to be more powerful than new ones does not become one of scalability simply because someone dropped the word in a blog post.

Nope; for all purposes and intent, the rep system is not infinitely scalable. You can already observe this when creating an alt: already the prospect of having to do all reps again is prohibitive for many people, and would become an absolute no-no if it involved pumping another 'infinite' amount of time in redoing them (hence the sponsor tokens to mitigate the issue).
    There is no inherent problem with a player having an arbitrarily high number of rep passives. All it needs in response is more challenging opponents and missions.

That would only work for those already 'infinitely scaled' 'players on the field: for everyone else, like new players, such infinitely scaled, 'more challenging opponents and missions' would become whole inaccessible.

So, like I said, I have yet to see anyone (besides you now) who thinks having new players do an infinite amount of reps, to bring themselves up to speed, would be a good idea. All people I've seen post on this (besides you now) appear to understand there needs to be some sort of limit. I just happen to think said cap should be at 8/8/4, instead of cutting our existing rep powers in half.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited April 2014
    I got 6 maxed out Romulan toons

3kdf 3 fed

what are you on about ?

Your analysis of players. Its totally wrong..... did you even read my post?
    edited April 2014
    tpalelena wrote: »
    Most people start out weak in games. Every Mmo. Usually they work up their way to get the best gear themselves too.

Absolutely true! I remember hating how weak my ships were when I start leveling up my new Rom. I didn't seem to have any power insulators (or any power, period, for that matter); and didn't have my Zemoks yet, or any of the rep gear, etc. That is all normal.

Every carrot dangled in front of us, however enticing, must remain within scope, though. If the end-goal is too far off, ppl lose heart and just quit. Whch is why I understand rep powers can't be infinitely scalable. The current state, however, was rather doable: it takes about a month or so to fully spec/gear up. It neither deserved, nor needed, the 50% nerf it got.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited April 2014
    Absolutely true! I remember hating how weak my ships were when I start leveling up my new Rom. I didn't seem to have any power insulators (or any power, period, for that matter); and didn't have my Zemoks yet, or any of the rep gear, etc. That is all normal.

Every carrot dangled in front of us, however enticing, must remain within scope, though. If the end-goal is too far off, ppl lose heart and just quit. Whch is why I understand rep powers can't be infinitely scalable. The current state, however, was rather doable: it takes about a month or so to fully spec/gear up. It neither deserved, nor needed, the 50% nerf it got.

Yes.

Usually in other mmos, there is more content so the more powerful end game players are there, and not doing the missions that the weaker players do.

But in sto, there is no such "More powerful end game missions", so its mixed.

Still, most new players I think are happy to have a powerful veteran in team, because:

A- the mission is easier. They die less, get the optional, etc.
    B- Cool, I want a ship like that. I'll get it.
    edited April 2014
    tpalelena wrote: »
    Your analysis of players. Its totally wrong..... did you even read my post?

Sorry no i didnt

I was not responding to your post..............and yes my analysis is right . I see it already in my own fleet and have saw it for some time now

The player turn over rate in the Game is far too large and a OP faction is part of the problem

edited April 2014

Sorry no i didnt

I was not responding to your post..............and yes my analysis is right . I see it already in my own fleet and have saw it for some time now

The player turn over rate in the Game is far too large and a OP faction is part of the problem

Honestly, I think your fleet members are bad, and you place your analysis on them.

Its like having a basket full of rotten apples, and assuming every apple on earth is rotten, and you use your fake argument to prove your fake point.

Of course, unless you are making it all up...you wouldnt do that, would you? :rolleyes:
  • megacharge07megacharge07 Member Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Absolutely horrible reputation passives nerf here. I know some of you disagree, so I'll save you the trouble of even bothering to respond to my post, however, the large majority of players I've spoken to in game and see in this thread do not want this nerf and I don't blame them.

This is as bad as the time Cryptic wanted to nerf dilithium rewards and loot drops from elte STF's. That didn't go over well, we came up with a petition many players signed it and Cryptic returned the rewards back to their rightful amounts.

I can see another petition coming for this, and rightly so.
    tumblr_mt0cmzAQpC1rm3hhlo2_500.gif
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited April 2014

This is as bad as the time Cryptic wanted to nerf dilithium rewards and loot drops from elte STF's. That didn't go over well, we came up with a petition many players signed it and Cryptic returned the rewards back to their rightful amounts.

I can see another petition coming for this, and rightly so.

Hate to break it to you buddy , but the STF Dil nerf of Season 7 is making a comeback in Season 9 .
    This time it's under a different song and dance ("equal awards for all reputations") , but the gist of it is there .

At this point I'm wondering how long till the "equal awards for all reputations" hits the Voth ground zone , since every time the STF Dil nerf gets mentioned some "helpful" player immediately points out that you can get "lots of Dil" there .
    (personally I can't shoot another dino in the face even if it dropped Zen or Lobi ... .)

But hey , as long as we all have the Rep nerf to distract us , guess we won't notice that Cryptic makes us even poorer then we were before ... .
    'Cuz that never happened before ... , oh wait , better look @ my sig ... :rolleyes:
  • megacharge07megacharge07 Member Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    Hate to break it to you buddy , but the STF Dil nerf of Season 7 is making a comeback in Season 9 .
    This time it's under a different song and dance ("equal awards for all reputations") , but the gist of it is there .

At this point I'm wondering how long till the "equal awards for all reputations" hits the Voth ground zone , since every time the STF Dil nerf gets mentioned some "helpful" player immediately points out that you can get "lots of Dil" there .
    (personally I can't shoot another dino in the face even if it dropped Zen or Lobi ... .)

But hey , as long as we all have the Rep nerf to distract us , guess we won't notice that Cryptic makes us even poorer then we were before ... .
    'Cuz that never happened before ... , oh wait , better look @ my sig ... :rolleyes:

Well if Cryptic thought it was bad last time, they're gonna be in for a surprise with the crapstorm they're in for now. Considering how mad people were last time Cryptic nerfed dil rewards and the backlash and petition that ensued I can see that if the dil rewards are going to be nerfed again and on top of the nerf (don't kid yourselves it IS a nerf) to our reputation passives, this is going to be a big problem for them and another petition is likely with even more signatures this time around.

It's a shame they chose so poorly in this area when trying to deal with power creep. Limiting the amount of rep passives active at a time and buffing what's left of what we are allowed was a lazily and poorly thought out way of dealing with it. Power creep in general although something that needs to be actively monitored and balanced BEFORE pushing items/passives/skills through, isn't half as much an issue as the current state of bugs and general problems with this game.

Rather than punishing it's player-base with poorly thought out and implemented knee-jerk reactions Cryptic needs to start fixing things at the office, start learning what, when and how to prioritize and how to do Q&A before pushing stuff out, then and only then can they start really fixing issues.
    tumblr_mt0cmzAQpC1rm3hhlo2_500.gif
  • bjchiemarabjchiemara Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    If you had 8 nickels before, and now you have 4 dimes, is that a nerf because you have half as many coins?

This is NOT a nerf.

I look forward to new challenges and change is always better.

Life can't exist without change, stagnation is death.

To those complaining... these changes are directed at trying to improve the overall game mechanics now and in the future. To bridge the gap between fresh 50's and max 50's. Hopefully for the better.

Maybe now there won't be such an issue with fresh 50's getting plowed during an Infected Space Elite and costing the secondary objective, or during a Cure Space Elite and getting the Kang killed because 3 of the players are waiting on respawn because they got pulverized. (as examples, there are more believe me... like during the Mirror Event Elite, me holding off the enemies and closing rifts while powering satellites during 3 rotations of the other 4 players sitting on respawn... ridiculous)

Hopefully, now they can fix the enemies to not have to overpower max 50's in elite by simply hitting harder and getting that miraculous instance crit kill. (Tact cubes specifically...)

Although I hope they integrate some better motivation for fresh 50's to seek out grinding reps, otherwise, most fresh 50's will just sit at fresh 50 giving no effort to improve their character in order to be a better contributor to team missions.

There has to be a sort of "penalty" for keeping your 50 stock.

Considering the dev's just lowered the bar a bit...

It's time for fresh 50's to put in their share... casual or not, you are part of a gaming community and should at least try to put in some effort with your builds.

I am really irritated at Schimitars and Galaxy Dreadnaughts (as examples, I've seen other ships that should be tougher but aren't... some of them ships from C-Store and fleet ships) that get plowed over in the first 5 mins of a fight in Cure Space Elite or Khitomer Elite because the person just loaded up all the special consoles they could thinking they would instantly make an uber ship...
    edited April 2014
    bjchiemara wrote: »
    This is NOT a nerf.

I look forward to new challenges and change is always better.

Life can't exist without change, stagnation is death.

To those complaining... these changes are directed at trying to improve the overall game mechanics now and in the future. To bridge the gap between fresh 50's and max 50's. Hopefully for the better.

^^ Another sock puppet. LOL.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • bjchiemarabjchiemara Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    ^^ Another sock puppet. LOL.

^^ another illiterate

I'm not pro stock if you go back and put a bit of effort to read my post.

I know it hurts your head when you read werds... but do try a little

By the way, I know it is too complicated for you to have to rebuild your cookie cutter build that you copied from other players telling you how to be... ahem.. "OP"

I'm sorry you have to actually think through your build now and discover some things on your own using your brain.

Challenging yourself is good for you, don't be lazy and against having to do anything other than keep your current one hit build...
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    ^^ another illiterate

By the way, I know it is too complicated for you to have to rebuild your cookie cutter build that you copied from other players telling you how to be... ahem.. "OP"

I'm sorry you have to actually think through your build now and discover some things on your own using your brain.

Challenging yourself is good for you, don't be lazy and against having to do anything other than keep your current one hit build...

Something that the nerf to Rep passives WILL NOT, I repeat, WILL NOT, address.

If you think otherwise, then you are naive.

And a little protip for you: Don't call people illiterate, or question their intelligence, in a post containing typos. It doesn't help your position in an argument.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well we'll see how it turns out, and it's one thing I am fascinated about. I foolishly chose a lot of defense. Can't wait to see if it has been doing anything at all. My guess is no. But, again, we shall see. I personally don't expect this to equal any playing fields in any way. 'tis only a tiny fraction of the overall possible power.

Perhaps it is needed if we're talking about 10 or more reputations eventually.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• schmedickeschmedicke Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Calm down Kool-Aid drinker if you don't like that people can rep and equally get the same buffs by putting in a little work then don't play. Ofcourse a new 50 can't compete with an old. Doesn't mean that you cry for the nerf bat. This isn't call of duty its an mmo. If you want something uou have to put the time in and earn it.
    edited April 2014
    ^^ another illiterate

LOL. Love it how you pulled every stop to come up with as many ad hominems as you could. :) None of which affect me in the least, btw. You have never seen a ROM build of mine, as I have never even published one; but it's flattering to know you think I have a 'one-hit' build. :D

Oh, and you're still a sockpuppet, of course; and I could see thru it as I can thru transparent aluminium.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
This discussion has been closed.