test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

It's been an honor and a privilege. May you all LLAP! \\//_

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
edited May 2014 in Ten Forward
Hi Captains,

I wanted to stop by to let you know that this coming Friday (4/11) is my last day with PWE/ Cryptic, as I have made the tough decision to move back to Southern California.

Earlier this year, I stepped down as your Community Manager to accept a new position at work that was not only a promotion, but was an incredible opportunity to help the PWE Community Team and company as a whole by becoming their Team Lead. (You can read about that transition here.) In just a short amount of time, the team has reached new heights and I'm excited to say that our games' communities are thriving more than ever before.

For STO, Smirk and Trendy have taken command and have pushed the community's warp engines to 9.9. They are doing amazing, and I am so proud of them. Not only are they continuing to carry the torch that I ignited just about 2.5 years ago, but they are also breaking the mold. You're in the best of hands with them at the helm of the U.S.S. STO Community.

So… why am I walking away from my dream job? My career that took years and years to actually make a reality? Family. Life is too short to miss out on some very important family moments coming up (my sister is having her first child, my grandmother -- who is one of the most important people in my life -- is turning 90, weddings, birthdays, and much more), and with a few exceptions, my entire family is in SoCal. It was a very tough decision to make, but the support from my colleagues, as well as my family and friends, has been extraordinary.

And honestly, please know this: if transporters* existed (or if it would really be feasible to fly up on Mondays and back down on Fridays), I would do it in a heartbeat. Perfect World and Cryptic have some jaw-dropping things coming up, and it's sad to think I won't be a part of it. The team will move forward, as strong as ever, and I can't wait to watch their success and celebrate from the other side. *I did ask the team to see if they can get real life transporters on the schedule for next year, so you never know :P

Where am I headed next? Well, all that is still in the works. I'll be keeping my BranFlakes twitter account, so I'm sure you'll find out where I go once I know where I am going.

I definitely plan on continuing to go to STLV each year, as that was a tradition of mine before I worked here, so I hope to see some of you there! I will also still be playing STO. Remember, I was a community member and player long before working here, and a Trekker since I was a young boy. (Want to take a trip down memory lane? Check out my original CM intro post here.)

While this will be my last post on the forums, please don't be a stranger. Hit me up on Twitter, in-game (if you know my personal @handle), or by carrier pigeon.

The STO community -- each of you -- has helped made me who I am today. You've helped my dream come true, and for that, I am forever thankful. I will miss you all, and sincerely thank you for your support.

To the Dev team: I'm really going to miss working with each of you, and thank you as well for playing a huge part in my dream coming true -- I'll never forget it. You are all unbelievably talented, passionate, and hilarious. Keep up the epic work, and I can't wait to play what you have planned in 2014 and beyond. Especially REDACTED.

Until we meet again, Live Long and Prosper \\//_

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014
    Goodbye Bran, we will miss you.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I never expected to see something like this.

May the Lion's Pride be with you and your family for the future. Thanks for all your work.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    caeloaeturnumcaeloaeturnum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Bye Brandon! You'll definitely be missed.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    You were a great Community Manager, Brandon. I enjoyed your enthusiasm, charisma, and wit muchly. Even if I've given you criticism, it's never been reflective of you as a person, but actions taken (I think that's an important distinction). Family is important, and it's the only family you have. You never get a 'do over' with family. So you're making the right decision. That being said...

Conspiracy theories revolving around abandoning sinking ships in 3... 2... 1...
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Good luck, Bran. Family is pretty important. But feel free to keep in touch with us here. Just because you're no longer a Dev doesn't mean we don't want you to come around anymore. Besides, you know our LC's are just too good to quit. :D
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    You were a great Community Manager, Brandon. I enjoyed your enthusiasm, charisma, and wit muchly. Even if I've given you criticism, it's never been reflective of you as a person, but actions taken (I think that's an important distinction). Family is important, and it's the only family you have. You never get a 'do over' with family. So you're making the right decision. That being said...

Conspiracy theories revolving around abandoning sinking ships in 3... 2... 1...

Don't forget DOOOOOOOOM theories.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,105 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    We hit an iceberg!!! Bail!!! BAIL!!!!!

Cya Branflakes.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    max1002max1002 Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Good luck Brandan on your future endeavors :)
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    Don't forget DOOOOOOOOM theories.

I already took the liberty of taking care of that. ;)
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    I already took the liberty of taking care of that. ;)

Excellent work. DOOOOOOM must be maintained.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    This is also more proof that California needs high-speed rail.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    You son of a iconian!!

I'm saddened by this news. I dunno what to say but this -

I'll make sure to pass along your feedback, but as "I quit" threads are not allowed because they always turn into flame threads where the poster gets trolled, I unfortunately would try to close this one down but you could just reopen it on your own so it's kinda pointless to hit the close button Remember, now that the game is free-to-play, feel free to stop back anytime. We hope to see you again soon and can I haz your stuff? ~Askray
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    jacqueline3752jacqueline3752 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    thank you for your hard work and good luck in coming year's and wish you peace and long life
  • Options
    entnx01entnx01 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Speaking for Starfleet M.A.C.O. and KDF Honor Guard, we thank you for all you've done in STO and for Cryptic/PWE. You've been a tremendous blessing to this game! Enjoy your well-deserved time with your loved ones. :)
  • Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,023 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Good luck, Bran. Family is pretty important. But feel free to keep in touch with us here. Just because you're no longer a Dev doesn't mean we don't want you to come around anymore. Besides, you know our LC's are just too good to quit. :D

Brandon was never a Dev.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Godspeed Admiral BranFlakes, much luck in your future endeavors!
    You will be missed around here, you were the best CM I have ever encountered in my entire gaming career.

Live long and prosper! \\//
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Can I haz ur ... oh wait, wrong thread.

Live long and prosper, Brandon.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    While I'm sad to see you leave, I also wish you the best in everything you do going forward.
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Take care Cereal Man. It's been one hell of a ride.

All the best, <3 Lan.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Worffan won't take this well...

In all seriousness, I wish you the best of luck, Bran! You were the best CM this game ever had.

Now... because this is Star Trek and I'd never forgive myself if I didn't (since no one else has done it yet)...

Of all the souls I've encountered on my travels, his was the most... human.
  • Options
    latiasracerlatiasracer Member Posts: 680 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Keep up the epic work, and I can't wait to play what you have planned in 2014 and beyond. Especially REDACTED.

You couldn't resist could you, one last tease...

We will all miss you :(

You should do a final stream in the upcoming weeks or something!
    warp plasma can't melt neutronium beams
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited April 2014
  • Options
    eurrsk47eurrsk47 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Boldy go, Brandon! Go be with your family! :) *big hugs*
    Live Long and Prosper!
    Or Die Trying!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ==== Try my new Foundry Mission: "Operation Demon Storm" ====
  • Options
    shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Brandon, you will be missed. I never thought I would see the day you would leave us but as they say "The needs of the family out weigh the needs of the one":(
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Oh, no...

As a Cardassian fan, I have to agree: family is everything.

It's sad to see you go, though, and it certainly gives me some concern for the community.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    rainbowwargamesrainbowwargames Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well I know you will be missed in your job at cryptic by all of us. :-( but in good news you'll have more time to spend with your fleet now! And wont have to say youre working you can just find your favorite PVE Fleet Captain (me) and pew pew pew till your hearts content! See you in game! :p
  • Options
    karcornerkarcorner Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    "lifts jaw from floor"
  • Options
    spacebaronlinespacebaronline Member Posts: 1,103 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Just as sad as the final scene from Star Trek - Undiscovered country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUPK2tTx0tc

Good luck to you.

"second star to the right, and straight on to morning"
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,385 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    ryan218 wrote: »
    Of all the souls I've encountered on my travels, his was the most... human.
    And, in the words of Spock:

"Captain, I see no need to stand here and be insulted!"
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,023 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I feel I really need to speak from the heart, as some of you guys have really no idea how much of an angel Brandon really is.

I got to know Brandon through tragic circumstances. Mark Valentine had recently passed away, and my own mother had recently been diagnosed with cancer. Feeling really low, I reached out to Brandon thinking he would know exactly how I was feeling, and he did. Brandon stood shoulder to shoulder with me daily as I saw my mom go from worse to worse, giving me the strength and support every single day. But I kept asking myself why is this guy I barely knew giving me such support, well we all know why, because Brandon didn't lead a community, he led a family, he would always be there for anyone of us regardless of where we were in the world.

When my mother lost her fight, on that very same day Brandon was there as a shoulder to lean on. He's still being that shoulder today, because through my own personal issues, a friendship bloomed and has thrived. Brandon is a unique individual, selfless, caring, compassionate, putting the needs of others first.

I am truly honored to have Brandon as a friend. Yes I can call him a friend not just because of STO, but our friendship has grown away from everything STO.

Brandon I know how much of a difficult decision leaving PWE has been on you, but I personally know why you have made the decision you have. You know you will always have my continued support in everything you do now, and go onto to do in the future (Rob included).

Although this is goodbye in the game environment, but it is certainly not goodbye for good, you know that.

You are so going to make a brilliant uncle when your sister gives birth. With an uncle like you that lil one will grow up knowing the value of integrity.

For everything you have done for me personally in you capacity as CM and CTL a mere thank you will never suffice (but you know I'm grateful)

Brandon you may of created a family forum, but PWE created a legend.

Good luck buddy

P.S. my three words Truth and Honesty

Eazzie TRIBBLE