What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 9 Dev Blog #5: Changes to Reputation Powers

Comments

• tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    Buddy , you left out the the best part :

Boring + betrayal + grinding for passive powers that you KNOW that you won't EVER slot as an active power from future Reps (just to get to that one passive power that you may want to give a try) .

Grinding for stuff you'll never use ... -- I call that priceless ... .

... and listen well because I can hear the cheers for this ... :confused:

Your signature has foretold this.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Add in 10 more reps, and then think about how daunting that would seem. That's the inevitable future of the rep system. And that's what the change is designed to help deal with.

That doesn't necessarily mean that they had to keep adding passives to those potential future reputations though. They could have decided to end the passives at five, and then come up with something else to offer players for the next five.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • tucana66tucana66 Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    To Cryptic:
    You're doing a good job of summarizing upcoming changes in your blogs. Hopefully you're keeping up with this thread, as it's overshadowing the Galaxy-X discussions. <g>

Knowing you're adhering to a release schedule (and this reputation revamp is going live, with or without minor tweaks), I really, really, really hope you'll factor some of the community feedback here.

Too many people assume the game's code base is going to get changed; however, it isn't, You've locked/loaded into Tribble. Season 9 is coming. The release management cycle is well underway. Players don't understand that only minor tweaks can get made, if at all.

And one of those tweaks we'd like to see made? Review senatorvreenak's recent post. It's a great idea.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    amosov78 wrote: »
    That doesn't necessarily mean that they had to keep adding passives to those potential future reputations though. They could have decided to end the passives at five, and then come up with something else to offer players for the next five.
    you KNOW what players would have said about that.... OMG the new rep suxors!!!!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    tucana66 wrote: »
    To Cryptic:
    You're doing a good job of summarizing upcoming changes in your blogs. Hopefully you're keeping up with this thread, as it's overshadowing the Galaxy-X discussions. <g>

Knowing you're adhering to a release schedule (and this reputation revamp is going live, with or without minor tweaks), I really, really, really hope you'll factor some of the community feedback here.

Too many people assume the game's code base is going to get changed; however, it isn't, You've locked/loaded into Tribble. Season 9 is coming. The release management cycle is well underway. Players don't understand that only minor tweaks can get made, if at all.

And one of those tweaks we'd like to see made? Review senatorvreenak's recent post. It's a great idea.

Oh. Another Cryptic camper. They can make a tweak and make the cap match the current rep system. Do what other people suggest?

I guess maybe you are one of those people who complained about power creep.
  • sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2014
    Nor is yours.

Fine lets stipulate that only 2 of the 4 good offensive traits are in fact doubled.

You still don't require healing in PvE.... so are you being buffed or not ?

I'll answer it for you, because its easier and more fun for me that way. YES you are being buffed.

I think this guy has just made the point as to why the rep passives and powers are being nerf'd. Not becasue of the PvE'rs but because once again a small minority group of PvP'ers who probably have only just hit lvl 50 are complaining that they unable to to compete with veterans.
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

edited March 2014
    To Cryptic:

Wow, that's a very bad thing if its true. Who would build such a code that becomes locked so easily?
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2014
    And one more thing, since we're now looking at the possibility of ground load outs. Do any of you think for one second these are going to work correctly? They cant even get the damn space load outs working correctly. So what makes you think these are going to be any different?
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Oh. Another Cryptic camper. They can make a tweak and make the cap match the current rep system. Do what other people suggest?

Four meaningful choices are better than eight pointless ones.

I really don't see what the problem is here. So you might take a few milliseconds longer to kill an enemy ship or soldier? So what? The game's too easy as it is.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • romeowhiskey4romeowhiskey4 Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Hawk - Is this a definite set in stone change?

If so, I would strongly suggest a news item on the launcher entitled 'upcoming changes to reputation system' pointing people to Tribble.

I for one wouldn't have seen this coming only being entitled 'Dev blog 5'.

If not set in stone, then people need to chill out and pray that democracy works... if it proves to be unpopular, maybe the decision will be reversed and back tot he drawing board.

Honestly? I don't like the sound of it, but I am willing to give it a shot. I agree that it does sound like a kick in the teeth to the long rep grinds we have gone through. I think that's what upsets people mostly, but we can all but try.

And lets be frank.... they knew this would not be a popular change. I think Hawk just pulled the short straw in telling everyone.

Can I ask, what other suggestions were made as alternatives, that led to this being the lesser of all the other evils?
  • vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    walshicus wrote: »
    Four meaningful choices are better than eight pointless ones.

I really don't see what the problem is here. So you might take a few milliseconds longer to kill an enemy ship or soldier? So what? The game's too easy as it is.

My goal is to destroy a Tactical Cube with a patrol group of Shere's by myself. I have been able to decimate the Borg Gateway and the Unimatrix ship. I am doing this with a Ha'feh class ship. My ultimate goal is to do ISE by myself.

This new change coming will not help.
    edited March 2014
    tpalelena wrote: »
    Wow, that's a very bad thing if its true. Who would build such a code that becomes locked so easily?
    You're missing the point. Developers map out programming tasks months in advance; that code build is delivered for user acceptance testing, then beta testing.

Right now, Tribble is the beta test.

The code is "locked", meaning we're not going to see an entire revamp of the reputation system by re-doing the programming. Given the release cycle, there's little chance of Cryptic pulling the entire reputation revamp code work and re-doing it.

The best scenario for any improvements? Make suggestions which can be acted upon (based on the planned implementation) which are do-able, not massive changes which have no chance of being implemented.

It's like the Galaxy-X thread. Players can complain all they want. The updates to the ships were determined months ago, coded months ago, then put into the release train. Now that we're seeing the results, many players aren't happy, including the spinal lance position issue. Welcome to Release Management. Nothing changes easily; there's a larger series of processes and approvals that occur to get something released.
    edited March 2014

I shouldn't feed the troll. But you, Sir, have one hell of a chip on your shoulder. Care to add something constructive instead of diatribes?
  • wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Honestly its simple and everyone's been saying it.

Gives us 8/8 instead of 4/4.
    That right there would pretty much satisfy the vast majority of people who have a problem with the Reputation Revamp.

It really is the best option.
    It allows people to become acclimated to the new system, without feeling that they have been "robbed" of their time and effort spent leveling current reputation.
    And at the same time it achieves cryptic's goal of putting a damper on the power creep.

For balance sake the powers should of course remain what they are now on Holodeck, I.E without buffs.

I'm not totally against the proposed changes but you certainly have a reasonable idea.

Also if they are so worried about power creep, why are they doubling these powers in some cases :confused:
    edited March 2014
    You're missing the point. Developers map out programming tasks months in advance; that code build is delivered for user acceptance testing, then beta testing.

Right now, Tribble is the beta test.

The code is "locked", meaning we're not going to see an entire revamp of the reputation system by re-doing the programming. Given the release cycle, there's little chance of Cryptic pulling the entire reputation revamp code work and re-doing it.

The best scenario for any improvements? Make suggestions which can be acted upon (based on the planned implementation) which are do-able, not massive changes which have no chance of being implemented.

It's like the Galaxy-X thread. Players can complain all they want. The updates to the ships were determined months ago, coded months ago, then put into the release train. Now that we're seeing the results, many players aren't happy, including the spinal lance position issue. Welcome to Release Management. Nothing changes easily; there's a larger series of processes and approvals that occur to get something released.

So .... they are lazy to redo the coding you mean. Or their tools are so ineffective (Worse than fan made mod tools for games) they cant do it?

That is propably the worst process ever done, especially in a game as bug-ful as this one. Its so bad it is not even funny anymore.
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So .... they are lazy to redo the coding you mean. Or their tools are so ineffective (Worse than fan made mod tools for games) they cant do it?

That is propably the worst process ever done, especially in a game as bug-ful as this one. Its so bad it is not even funny anymore.

Well, aren't you precious? It may seem simple to you, but it's actually a very tedious process. Checks and rechecks and rerechecks. It's not like they can get bored on day and say "Okay, time to change this" and viola!
    edited March 2014
    Well, aren't you precious? It may seem simple to you, but it's actually a very tedious process. Checks and rechecks and rerechecks. It's not like they can get bored on day and say "Okay, time to change this" and viola!

With a good editing tool, that should not take this long. Especially since they got the old code on holodeck too.
    edited March 2014

I wouldn't call the devs lazy. Resources are allocated to a set number of tasks, with budgets impacting what is -- and isn't -- done.

PWE (Cryptic) isn't a large software developer. I imagine they have very limited resources. And priorities are set by their management which should align to the players (customers) needs. But it doesn't always work that way...

At some point, someone (either Daniel or Stephen, as executive producers) determined the reputation system needed a revamp. The Dyson Sphere was an example of how Cryptic tested the reputation system changes. Now we're seeing a further change with Season 9.

PWE is a consumer business. However, despite that, I wouldn't expect them to give marketing $$ to Cryptic to survey and improve their games based on community feedback. We're spoiled into thinking we have a platform (soapbox) to shout our needs... and Cryptic jumps on them.

I have a feeling some posts are listened to. Some feedback does improve the game.

What I wish: Cryptic (and PWE) would host a Developer Day -- where community feedback on specific topics could be submitted, moderated and discussed openly, with regards to implementation in the game.

That way, we aren't dealing with "Oops, the Galaxy-X has problems again; we missed that; and now we have to get a fix into the release cycle 8-12 months from now... while everyone is fuming about the current issues."
  • shurato2099shurato2099 Member Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Incredibly tedious, yes. It has to be designed with an eye towards it's place in the larger system, coded, tested internally, sent back to start if it doesn't work correctly, once that's done it goes to beta for more widespread testing in it's mostly finished state, smaller fixes can be made at this point but the broad structure is pretty much set. Ideally it stays in beta until all of the kinks are worked out but that isn't always possible based on corporate's release schedule.
    edited March 2014
    I wouldn't call the devs lazy. Resources are allocated to a set number of tasks, with budgets impacting what is -- and isn't -- done.

PWE (Cryptic) isn't a large software developer. I imagine they have very limited resources. And priorities are set by their management which should align to the players (customers) needs. But it doesn't always work that way...

At some point, someone (either Daniel or Stephen, as executive producers) determined the reputation system needed a revamp. The Dyson Sphere was an example of how Cryptic tested the reputation system changes. Now we're seeing a further change with Season 9.

PWE is a consumer business. However, despite that, I wouldn't expect them to give marketing $$ to Cryptic to survey and improve their games based on community feedback. We're spoiled into thinking we have a platform (soapbox) to shout our needs... and Cryptic jumps on them.

I have a feeling some posts are listened to. Some feedback does improve the game.

What I wish: Cryptic (and PWE) would host a Developer Day -- where community feedback on specific topics could be submitted, moderated and discussed openly, with regards to implementation in the game.

That way, we aren't dealing with "Oops, the Galaxy-X has problems again; we missed that; and now we have to get a fix into the release cycle 8-12 months from now... while everyone is fuming about the current issues."

Having a very clumsy editing tool is a giant problem, whatever the source of it. The amount such a factor has on the productive work one can do on a game is staggering.
  • morden2morden2 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Well cryptic this is it! In four years you manged to build things up in the right direction again and tear it down! you always get us use to something then change to so that we have to learn it all over again. Or change the monetary system to lower the amount of currencies only to end up with more than you set out to delete. Or reset the skill tree to make things easier only to use the same excuse to do it again. Its like you find it easier to do that instead of adjust the game to the rep that YOU had us grind for then take it away! That in itself is a rip off! How dare you think that it would be ok to let us grind our tails off so you can take it away! You claim its so that a New VA can compete with an experienced one which is a lie! What you are really saying is that you want a new player in the game to be as equal as the ones that have been here since this MMO began! How can you do all of this to the folks that have been loyal customers and that have put up with all of this because of their love for star trek? In my opinion this is the last straw and I will be contacting CBS to let them know that your incompetence is running this game into the direction that star wars went, RIGHT DOWN THE DRAIN! If this goes live I know that myself and several other players I have talked to will be calling it quits in STO. SHAME ON YOU!!!! :mad:

Well I must agree why should new players be equal to the players that have been in the game for years supporting it before it was free play.

You must earn your way up, through hard work and investment in things that make you a better player.

What is the point of being a long time player if the you are punished for players who are just starting out. and have not made the investment of time and effort to raise their standing in the game.

As far as PVP goes, you go in and get rolled, it means you were not prepared or skilled enough to be the winner.

I admit it can be a turn off to go in and get rolled, but a seasoned player will learn from the experience and come back for more.

Right now the current implementation of PVP in the game, leaves a lot to be improved upon. and I fully expect over time it will get a rework that makes it more enjoyable.

For me PVP is just an activity to fill empty space between the current grind that is required to advance or waiting for new content to introduced.

As long time player and Star Trek fan, this game has some much unrealized potential its not even funny.

But with the continued lowering of the bar to allow new players to come right in and compete with top level players will create an environment where players come play and loose interest and move on.

Please reconsider punishing the long time players and come with a solution that makes those who have invested countless hours, and money into the game not walk away.
  • bridgernbridgern Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    In my opinion the power creep would not be that bad if we would actual have real Endgame Content.

This is the biggest problem of this game everyone is treated that same way that means "casual players" and "elite players" are thrown together into the same missions.

I have nothing against "casual players" but the game is getting build for them which is fine but when Cryptic build those missions why can't they make nightmare versions of those missions for the players that have actual the knowledge and the gear for this type of content.

This as an example for STF's:

Normal STF's - What we currently run as normal

Advanced STF's - What is currently Elite

Nightmare STF's - Something that is far far away from Advanced and really needs perfect team work to be completed something that maybe also includes the holy trinity.
    Bridger.png
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    it is my thread.

Challenge accepted.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • spacebaronlinespacebaronline Member Posts: 1,103 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Challenge accepted.

Again - your comments are OP - Plz Nerf!!
  • blahhdreyblahhdrey Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    My goal is to destroy a Tactical Cube with a patrol group of Shere's by myself. I have been able to decimate the Borg Gateway and the Unimatrix ship. I am doing this with a Ha'feh class ship. My ultimate goal is to do ISE by myself.

This new change coming will not help.

If this isn't just some very bad trolling, then what you're positing here is the exact reason why we need changes like this, and more to boot.
    dEpN3nB.png?1
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    Buddy , you left out the the best part :

Boring + betrayal + grinding for passive powers that you KNOW that you won't EVER slot as an active power from future Reps (just to get to that one passive power that you may want to give a try) .

Grinding for stuff you'll never use ... -- I call that priceless ... .

... and listen well because I can hear the cheers for this ... :confused:

Pretty much sums it up LOL.

They forget that their game depends on people playing it. Right now it seems like they going along the lines of how neverwinter was designed to where people might buy something and then realize they wasted their money and then go to the next sucker.

I guess they haven't realized especially with this rep revamp that it wasn't needed and we've told them so many times what the real problem is but they won't tackle it they just go and throw the word revamp around like its going to help. I guess pretty safe to say this game died when season 7 hit. Although 2014 the official year STO died.
  • genadagenada Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    There are a lot of posts that are just... not constructive. And I don't mean not positive - it's fine to dislike something. But if one is spewing vitriol and logical fallacies, I can't exactly quote it and throw it in the devtracker. My only winning move is not to play.

I think you'll find I've replied to a number of posters who were unhappy with the stated changes or who questioned the changes' abilities to meet our goals. If I didn't reply to a particular poster or set of posters, they were probably being inflammatory and non-constructive.

This is the only meta-post I'm going to write about "why I'm answering the posts I'm answering". If posters ask reasonable, rational questions, I'm happy to reply and do so cordially and constructively, no matter how much they think a decision we made is wrong or how much I may disagree with them. If posters flame, rant, and rave, they'll be ignored - not because I don't care about them (I do), but because quoting or replying to them encourages that sort of destructive, irrational behavior instead of contributing positively to the discussion.

What is it in Cryptic's view that reps are for?

The entire problem is the content of the game and what reps have become. They are as of current end game, the entire end game. They are the only form of player progression and gaining player power. They shouldn't of been this in the first place.

Every other mmo has a gearing system designed to advance player power and that system is updated and moved along as new content comes out. Every new tier is a re balance and every tier is a general chance for all to catch up. Reps are used to help players with the new content and to provide titles, vanity items and gear. STO you do the content to advance the rep. I think the very way you do reps vs content is backwards.

The best way to address power creep is to create content with the idea of power creep in mind and have content that is more of a challenge. The idea that everyone should be doing the same content and that the moment you hit lvl cap you should be doing end game is wrong.

Star Trek Online needs a end game beyond the rep systems. Star Trek Online needs to have a tier system that you progress into and you reach for the highest level.
  • shmojoshmojo Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Here's another option to stop the PvP OP crying, have ship gear switch to an equivalent PvP Mk X White, and disable special consoles and disable Rep perks in PvP Then, everyone in PvP is on an even ground while PvE players are unaffected.
  • shurato2099shurato2099 Member Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    genada wrote: »
    What is it in Cryptic's view that reps are for?

The entire problem is the content of the game and what reps have become. They are as of current end game, the entire end game. They are the only form of player progression and gaining player power. They shouldn't of been this in the first place.

Every other mmo has a gearing system designed to advance player power and that system is updated and moved along as new content comes out. Every new tier is a re balance and every tier is a general chance for all to catch up. Reps are used to help players with the new content and to provide titles, vanity items and gear. STO you do the content to advance the rep. I think the very way you do reps vs content is backwards.

The best way to address power creep is to create content with the idea of power creep in mind and have content that is more of a challenge. The idea that everyone should be doing the same content and that the moment you hit lvl cap you should be doing end game is wrong.

Star Trek Online needs a end game beyond the rep systems. Star Trek Online needs to have a tier system that you progress into and you reach for the highest level.

Now this I can agree with. New reps and fleet holdings are just there to give us a new grind to work on. Players at end-game need something active, something challenging, something more engaging than yet another rep mission to play through over and over or yet another holding to eat up their resources.

The Battlezones, I think, are a good start but they could use some more variety and more of a story to them.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    shmojo wrote: »
    Here's another option to stop the PvP OP crying, have ship gear switch to an equivalent PvP Mk X White, and disable special consoles and disable Rep perks in PvP Then, everyone in PvP is on an even ground while PvE players are unaffected.

So the PvE folks could be left to this...
    Wheres the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an Earth shattering Kaboom!

I guess those who were exploiting the carrier pet bug dont want to come in here and rage about it for fear of being exposed, lolz.
    My only rage is for the rat that exposed it, but knew it wouldn't last so can't really rage at them for fixing what was obviously a bug.

...where they would turn on each other?

Remove PvP from the game and you'd still have...

1) Those that know there are bugs, know they'll eventually be fixed, but still hate on the folks that reported the bug.
    2) Those that are clueless that the bugs are even there as they blindly go about exploiting them, and will thus cry about nerfs after somebody has reported it.
    3) Those that despise the first two and will continue to report any bugs they come across.
    4) Those that know things are OP, know they'll eventually be fixed, but still hate on the folks that brought it to the devs' attention.
    5) Those that have no idea how bad they really are as they blindly go about using something OP, and will thus cry about nerfs when somebody brings it to the devs' attention.
    6) Those that despise the previous two and will continue to report any balance issues they come across.

Ugh, I just realized this list could go on and on...because it has nothing to do with PvP or PvE...it's basically about the people.
This discussion has been closed.