Install Arc
Options

Season 9 Dev Blog #5: Changes to Reputation Powers

Comments

• Options
    anna0picard0anna0picard0 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    tpalelena wrote: »
    Adding more reps instead of end game content is not a good idea to begin with I'm afraid.

Even with the new system
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    There are a lot of posts that are just... not constructive. And I don't mean not positive - it's fine to dislike something. But if one is spewing vitriol and logical fallacies, I can't exactly quote it and throw it in the devtracker. My only winning move is not to play.

I think you'll find I've replied to a number of posters who were unhappy with the stated changes or who questioned the changes' abilities to meet our goals. If I didn't reply to a particular poster or set of posters, they were probably being inflammatory and non-constructive.

This is the only meta-post I'm going to write about "why I'm answering the posts I'm answering". If posters ask reasonable, rational questions, I'm happy to reply and do so cordially and constructively, no matter how much they think a decision we made is wrong or how much I may disagree with them. If posters flame, rant, and rave, they'll be ignored - not because I don't care about them (I do), but because quoting or replying to them encourages that sort of destructive, irrational behavior instead of contributing positively to the discussion.

Hey all I can tell you is design a "Reasonable" system for your revamp and you might get reasonable or positive results/feedback. You haven't looked at the fact that people like myself and even those who did more grinding than i did are looking at 300+ passives across our character board as basically lost because they cannot be used in the current form.

One big reason I will not play anymore though just to give you something positive to look at in my view or whatever is this does nothing to address the "power creep" the power creep basically has to do with the difference between the 5 fore weapon slots, the damage increase between the 2-4 tactical console vs the 5 tactical consoles and the fact the design before was based on diminishing returns. So maybe yes the passives add onto that but the core problem is not addressed and this revamp means nothing if the core problem is not addressed. As well the changes to the sensor analysis especially on the KDF aspect will even further put the KDF behind the power creep.

I'm not trying to boycott, tell you how to do your job, but the clear and present danger of the mishandling of the issues is just going to further result in more grief especially in how I play the game so its not an ultimatum but a fact that if pushing a grind, then removing what was earned from the player, in a continuous cycle I just do not wish to participate in that. As well its a wide berth of dislike towards the proposed revamp the sheer thought of it alone is unwanted much less to even bother testing it. Some post like this blaming the players is a trend with Cryptic itself and does not "bode well".
  • Options
    wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    They'll get converted into something, probably. Still working out the details, so I don't want to make any promises, but we're planning to honor them.

that's good to know. thank you
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    tpalelena wrote: »
    Adding more reps instead of end game content is not a good idea to begin with I'm afraid.

Yeah well they weren't ever going to design dragon raids, so it's probably better for you to accept that the end-game in STO isn't the end-game concept you thought it was and just move on with that.

Play the game that's there. Not the game you think this should be.

I mean seriously, you're saying more reps aren't end-game, when this game's end-game is all about the STFs, which are linked to ... those reputation grinds.

That and fleet stuff.

STO End-Game has been rep grinding for quite some time now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Yeah well they weren't ever going to design dragon raids, so it's probably better for you to accept that the end-game in STO isn't the end-game concept you thought it was and just move on with that.

I could agree with you if there was a choice between playing STO in what it is. Although there is no choice between STO and something Star Trek that offers something not so heavily instanced somewhere else.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I could agree with you if there was a choice between playing STO in what it is. Although there is no choice between STO and something Star Trek that offers something not so heavily instanced somewhere else.
    If you dont mind old, try 25th aniversary and Judgment Rites ;)
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Trexels is an iPhone app game that's all about building your own starship and star trek crew.

;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    There are a lot of posts that are just... not constructive. And I don't mean not positive - it's fine to dislike something. But if one is spewing vitriol and logical fallacies, I can't exactly quote it and throw it in the devtracker. My only winning move is not to play.

I think you'll find I've replied to a number of posters who were unhappy with the stated changes or who questioned the changes' abilities to meet our goals. If I didn't reply to a particular poster or set of posters, they were probably being inflammatory and non-constructive.

Hold on. So, asking why not make the new system match the current reputation system? A person can keep there passive skills but with any future reputation system. The player have to pick and choose. The cap should be what is in the current system. 5/5, 6/6, 7/7 or whatever.

That's not constructive! So, the only constructive questions or concerns answered are the ones who agree with Cryptic ignoring the loyal fan base?
  • Options
    captaintpolcaptaintpol Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Ships had 8 passives. Now they'll have 4 passives. I'm not sure what else you'd call that. You may like the new setup, but that doesn't change that it is a nerf.

i rather have this then the other way, this sounds like it might bring more fun into doing different missions and if you have a team for stfs you can figure out who has what active for a fun and unique way to play stfs. Come on devs, keep it up. :D

You guys rock!
    (STO)
    Matriarch of Banished Orion Girls. Neela D'tan
    @captaintpol (with many alts)
    May we sail and have fun always and forever. LLAP

(PC version NW)
    Arwen@captaintpol TR - Tully's of RiverRun
    Mai Kelly DC-Tully's of RiverRun
    Neela BumKisses HR-
    Arya Stark GF-
    Sansa Stark CW- Team Fencebane
    Crystal Marie OP-

(xbox version NW)
    Arwen@Admiral Jazdia TR- Team Fenebane
    Mai Kelly DC- " "
    Ahsoka Tano CW- " "
    Neela BumKisser HR- " "
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    If you dont mind old, try 25th aniversary and Judgment Rites ;)

I meant in a mmo type game but to me I just stuck in there being a loyal player and besides the game just getting more and more boring for me I just am not processing boring + betrayal all at once.
  • Options
    shandypandyshandypandy Member Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Personally don't immediately see it as a bad idea. Doesn't seem to me any different to deciding what to pump skill points into (obvs after a bit of grind and spend) but I can't change my mind for free after without buying skill point respects tokens so......

Limiting the passives, I do see it as a bit of a trip to nerftown personally. There are a few passives I've picked just to get started on the next tier anyway, so.....

Basically, I dunno I guess. See what it plays like rather than have an aneurism now?
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014

I mean seriously, you're saying more reps aren't end-game, when this game's end-game is all about the STFs, which are linked to ... those reputation grinds.

That and fleet stuff.

STO End-Game has been rep grinding for quite some time now.

You seem very important and clever to order me around what to do. :rolleyes:

Also, accepting that something is and agreeing with it is two different things. Just so you know.

Like accepting that you are going to die. You dont have to like it at all.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Hold on. So, asking why not make the new system match the current reputation system? A person can keep there passive skills but with any future reputation system. The player have to pick and choose. The cap should be what is in the current system. 5/5, 6/6, 7/7 or whatever.

That's not constructive! So, the only constructive questions or concerns answered are the ones who agree with Cryptic ignoring the loyal fan base?

Indeed not every criticism is bad for then.
    Im sure they will still want us to grind the new reps and will add more and more...
    So to keep people doing it the new rep abilities will out break the balance...again...
    And the old ones we work hard, as we will have to get rid will be useless grind when the next rep is add.

I think let the system as it is and stop adding reps...and add some other kind of new content to the game would be wiser..

But what do i know, if they know what they are doing will be a sucess...if not...
    Well all i can say is this is a 6 years old game already, was release when core2 cpus was the way to go.
    What will keep it alive are the old players, not the new ones who will just skip a game that dont have the latets gfx and gimmics.
  • Options
    spacebaronlinespacebaronline Member Posts: 1,103 Arc User
    edited March 2014

He is limited to what he can say that he has not done already. But I do think that matching the number of passives a player can pick with the number of rep systems there are is a fair comment/question which is constructive. So a 5/5 set-up for 5 reps is a reasonable request to make, although I don't know if it is something he can answer without a design meeting.
  • Options
    artemisa0kartemisa0k Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Was just wondering since its going to be up on tribble for testing is there going to be some way to hit t5 all reps essentially instantly or are holodeck rep's going to actually transfer over ?

Just don't want to have to grind out all the reps again to test this out.
  • Options
    shurato2099shurato2099 Member Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited March 2014

That isn't what the man said, and you know it.
  • Options
    senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Honestly its simple and everyone's been saying it.

Gives us 8/8 instead of 4/4.
    That right there would pretty much satisfy the vast majority of people who have a problem with the Reputation Revamp.

It really is the best option.
    It allows people to become acclimated to the new system, without feeling that they have been "robbed" of their time and effort spent leveling current reputation.
    And at the same time it achieves cryptic's goal of putting a damper on the power creep.

For balance sake the powers should of course remain what they are now on Holodeck, I.E without buffs.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    artemisa0k wrote: »
    Was just wondering since its going to be up on tribble for testing is there going to be some way to hit t5 all reps essentially instantly or are holodeck rep's going to actually transfer over ?

Just don't want to have to grind out all the reps again to test this out.
    Yes, you will need to coppy your holodeck characters to trible
  • Options
    atlantraatlantra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014

That right there would pretty much satisfy the vast majority of people who have a problem with the Reputation Revamp.

I'll be happy with that. Nothing else to say if that happens.
    The dress is gold and white. Over 70% people says so. When viewed from a certain screen angle it appears blue and black. The dress displayed on amazon is a blue and black dress, but it's not the same dress in the picture. If you're seeing blue & black you're slightly colored blind. A normal upright screen = white and gold.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Adjudicator Hawk, I have some opinions on this change. So please hear me out.

In General, the idea has some merit. Though the execution of this is not well thought out. The biggest concern would be for all those people that ground out every rep to get all of the passives. In some cases that was the only incentive to do this. Your change makes all those people feel like they have wasted thier time. And all of those EC's, marks, game time and what-nots that was involved in getting these passives is now lost. To make such a drastic change to the game for the established player means you need need to compensate for the loss you are about to lower on to them. So that compensation needs to equal or exceed what is being lost. Whatever this is, it has to be that good to keep them happy.

In truth, I do think the better route to go is to leave the current amount of passives, but not allow any more. THen as you gain new reps you have to make the choice of goiong for the reps, and thier bonus, and also which ones you trade out for the new stuff. This will mollify all of the established players while setting the long term idea in motion. And places the new players in better position in that they can more effectively make those choices in rep grinding.

As for the "power creep" that everyone thinks about in this thread. Limit sets to one per ship. So that you can only get the benefit from set. Other set peices can be put on the ship but they don't provide any bonus'.

I also think that role ( as in DPS, Tank and Healing) needs to be more clearly defined. And that sets should be made with that goal in mind. Have Space and Ground sets geared to really make those roles more effective and not possible to cross spec. Science ships shouldn't be tanking or DPS, Engineering should have was to absorb damage and even protect other ships and Tactical should have ways to not only do more damage but to gain positional advantages on target to force the enemy to really make a choice on killing X or Y.

All in all, I would rather you not touch this system as it is, or not nerf it so severely. And go back and look at what it takes to make each role be more effect in those rolls and less effective in the other roles.

Those are my thoughts.
    I am a life time member, and will probably never quit playing. But I may very well spend less time if the game continues to harm long term players in favor of newest players. I appreciate this game alot, and currently is the MMO I play the most. I would love to continue it to be that way.
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • Options
    edited March 2014

It really is the best option.
    It allows people to become acclimated to the new system, without feeling that they have been "robbed" of their time and effort spent leveling current reputation.
    And at the same time it achieves cryptic's goal of putting a damper on the power creep.

For balance sake the powers should of course remain what they are now on Holodeck, I.E without buffs.

This is propably a reasonable compromise. Why the devs didnt think of this first, I do not know.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I see allot of talk in here about how this is good and then they use other games as an example. but those other games your powers are representing a single character. in the case of sto it is representing the player his officers and his ship, not just a guy running through the shire with a bow. in trek once an ability is learned it is known you cant just forget it . its a passive ability that was gained. if I upgraded a sub system when we learned how. it don't go offline .

if the ability is tied to piece of equipment and you remove that equipment then fine. but these are passives. Trip, Scotty or Gordis warp core efficiency upgrades don't go away its now a full time passive ability. now if that particular ability only works against Borg then fine let it only work against the borg. and have no effect on romulans or tholians. so if the reputation passives were just tied to the enemy of that reputation none of this would be a problem.

and that would make sense and seems it would be allot easier to do than slots to pick and choose from. I just think this is the 3rd of many changes to come , and goes along the lines of the shared cool down change recently, they are doing it little by little while in-between these changes they offer us candy to stay. Mirror event with 50k dil 500 fleet 250 choice and a purple doff sounds like game candy to me.
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• Options
    icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The old rep system had its own flaws and many cried for change way back then. many of us spoke up. and in the end we were all ignored and they came up with the current system. Back then to get the ground 3 piece set you had to grind on all 3 different ground missions. doing so you eventually as a player ( way to random and needed to be fixed, but then like now players were not listened too. ) got the ground set and learned how to play on the ground, Also learning the mission and the ques for those mission always had people in them unlike now.

Now you never have to touch the ground to earn the ground set. Then somebody comes in all decked out and is still a completely clueless and dies constantly because they didn't have to learn the style of play, the mission or how to use the new equipment..

Hawk said this:

Originally Posted by adjudicatorhawk View Post
    SNIP:::: The one question I would like all of you to ask is, "If I were making this from the ground-up, with a blank slate, how would I make it?" SNIP:::

OK here is what I would do.

Each mission gives an item after beating it x amount of times. easy mode gives mk x elite give mk xi and after you have both sets earned via playing the mission (not random drops) you can buy the mk xii set from a rep store. That way you would know when your going to get the sets, like the accolades. But now they are Removing the lower MK sets so this will not even be an option any longer.

Same would go for space gear. tie each part of a set to a mission. play mission x amount of times earn the set. period no need for marks or any of that other junk. then once the lesser sets are unlocked you go to rep store and buy the mk12 items you have now unlocked with Dilithium / EC / EXP .

1. work the rep passives the same way some other passives in the game work. let them only apply to that type of enemy, nukara rep passives apply to tholians, omega rep passives apply to borg and so on.
    2. The t5 power we earn as the reward for completing the reputation leave alone.
    3. Keeps the Mk 10 and 11 sets and even make more if need be. and tie them to specific mission at particular skill lvls like normal and elite. after both sets are unlocked a player can then BUY the mk 12 set from a single common reputation vendor.
    4. PvP should get its own reputation where powers earned there only work in PvP.
    5. After Mk 12 rep gear is bought that reputation tracks enemies automatically go into HARD mode.

no reason to complicate all this. I wont even "blank slate" it that would only ensure we never get it. My approach would be doable within your current system without extreme amount of time involved. Saves us from the hassle of having to pick and choose before every battle. Does away with needing commendations or even reputation marks at all. You still get the player grind players still get rewarded. The missions start to become repopulated.

removes all the rep issues from PVP completely becomes a non-issue.
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I just am not processing boring + betrayal all at once.

Buddy , you left out the the best part :

Boring + betrayal + grinding for passive powers that you KNOW that you won't EVER slot as an active power from future Reps (just to get to that one passive power that you may want to give a try) .

Grinding for stuff you'll never use ... -- I call that priceless ... .

... and listen well because I can hear the cheers for this ... :confused:
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    Buddy , you left out the the best part :

Boring + betrayal + grinding for passive powers that you KNOW that you won't EVER slot as an active power from future Reps (just to get to that one passive power that you may want to give a try) .

Grinding for stuff you'll never use ... -- I call that priceless ... .

... and listen well because I can hear the cheers for this ... :confused:

Your signature has foretold this.
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Add in 10 more reps, and then think about how daunting that would seem. That's the inevitable future of the rep system. And that's what the change is designed to help deal with.

That doesn't necessarily mean that they had to keep adding passives to those potential future reputations though. They could have decided to end the passives at five, and then come up with something else to offer players for the next five.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    tucana66tucana66 Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    To Cryptic:
    You're doing a good job of summarizing upcoming changes in your blogs. Hopefully you're keeping up with this thread, as it's overshadowing the Galaxy-X discussions. <g>

Knowing you're adhering to a release schedule (and this reputation revamp is going live, with or without minor tweaks), I really, really, really hope you'll factor some of the community feedback here.

Too many people assume the game's code base is going to get changed; however, it isn't, You've locked/loaded into Tribble. Season 9 is coming. The release management cycle is well underway. Players don't understand that only minor tweaks can get made, if at all.

And one of those tweaks we'd like to see made? Review senatorvreenak's recent post. It's a great idea.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    amosov78 wrote: »
    That doesn't necessarily mean that they had to keep adding passives to those potential future reputations though. They could have decided to end the passives at five, and then come up with something else to offer players for the next five.
    you KNOW what players would have said about that.... OMG the new rep suxors!!!!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    tucana66 wrote: »
    To Cryptic:
    You're doing a good job of summarizing upcoming changes in your blogs. Hopefully you're keeping up with this thread, as it's overshadowing the Galaxy-X discussions. <g>

Knowing you're adhering to a release schedule (and this reputation revamp is going live, with or without minor tweaks), I really, really, really hope you'll factor some of the community feedback here.

Too many people assume the game's code base is going to get changed; however, it isn't, You've locked/loaded into Tribble. Season 9 is coming. The release management cycle is well underway. Players don't understand that only minor tweaks can get made, if at all.

And one of those tweaks we'd like to see made? Review senatorvreenak's recent post. It's a great idea.

Oh. Another Cryptic camper. They can make a tweak and make the cap match the current rep system. Do what other people suggest?

I guess maybe you are one of those people who complained about power creep.
This discussion has been closed.