Install Arc
Options

Season 9 Dev Blog #5: Changes to Reputation Powers

Comments

• Options
    fyathyriofyathyrio Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    o0kami87 wrote: »
    Okay, now that I understand what they are doing I don't like it. Leveling the playing field my rear end! Of course a level 50 player that has completed the reps is stronger than a new level 50 player, they busted their butt to get those passive abilities. They activity worked for it and now you are yanking that carrot on a stick away. Why would I work on new reps if I can only use a handful of the passives? Or the actives for that matter? The only thing saving the system is the ability to change selected skills at will. Cryptic you are walking a vary fine and dangerous line, bending over backwards for the so called "casual player" is driving away heavy gamers and trek fans. I personally know 3 ex players that stopped playing for over the last time you cow towed to such group.

Ya gotta remember... in this day and age, everyone gets a trophy.
    The Shepard's Prayer:

"Oh Lord, Please don't let me F-up"
  • Options
    mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This thread is almost as entertaining as ESD zone chat on a Saturday

agreed :)
    plz stop spamming my thread with useless rhetoric okthx

Too bad this is not your thread. Have a nice day.
  • Options
    captainbaileycaptainbailey Member Posts: 356 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It's like you can't read either. It's pretty much the reason this thread is filled with misinformation. Including your posts.

Right now you can get the dyson rep done in 16 days if you tried

Current dev blog states that the new hourly can be run a handful of times. now whats a handful? well ill over estimate and say its 5 since a person has 5 fingers. and in the devblog they stated the 20h is 2500xp and the 1h is 200xp. it will take 24 days to complete the rep if you tried around the clock.

Hows that not a nerf and how is that not much longer? 8 days longer? This is assuming people waste thier time doing 200xp projects over and over and over and ..... until they cant any more. This also assumes you can do them 5 times, if its less then the rep will take longer.

The only misinformation is your posts sir. Math and reading like i said before, that is what is needed.
  • Options
    phadrenphadren Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Funny how you can almost predict who will be saying what in threads like this...its always the same ppl who complain and always the same ppl who stay positive. Carry on, its amusing how serious some ppl take video games.
  • Options
    precharprechar Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    While this change saddens me and the thread is 135 pages long Nothing is going to change here Cryptic/PWE will push on with this and ignore any critical posts.

The Fact is that only by loosing 30-40% of the player base in protest over the change will anything happen! Even if everyone who protested in this thread (Which I highly doubt would) were to walk out it would amount to less than 1% of the player base lost and Cryptic will take that and Smile because over 99% would still be logging in Daily for their grind and bums on seats means Money for them. its a shame we are seen as walking wallets and not people but Cryptic dont care they are getting payed.
    It's your world Boss I'm just a squirrel trying to get a nut!
  • Options
    jack24bau3rjack24bau3r Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    agreed :)

Too bad this is not your thread. Have a nice day.

it is my thread.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    it is my thread.

Where do you see that? The creator of this thread is pwlaughingtrendy's thread. Sorry, this is not your thread.
  • Options
    spacebaronlinespacebaronline Member Posts: 1,103 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This thread is almost as entertaining as ESD zone chat on a Saturday

Your comments are OP - plz NERF!!
  • Options
    vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    phadren wrote: »
    Funny how you can almost predict who will be saying what in threads like this...its always the same ppl who complain and always the same ppl who stay positive. Carry on, its amusing how serious some ppl take video games.

It's a video game. I realize we are taking it serious. If you spent hours on something you like and pushed to meet any challenge to get a skill. I suppose you might be pissed if Cryptic said we want to take it away. Unless you not human.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Where do you see that? The creator of this thread is pwlaughingtrendy's thread. Sorry, this is not your thread.

i claimed it
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    patrickngo wrote: »
    funny enough, I backburnered rep progression to feed the fleet early on, now that the fleet's down to re-running provisioning to build credits, I'm finally mucking with Reps.

TBH, this is how it should've been set up from the start-you go over the listing, and the various rep powers really duplicate each other with minimal variation.

IOW, what I"m reading here in this thread is a lot of "Waaaah!!! you want me to actually THINK about my Choices!! WAAAAAAHHH".

seriously?

No. Keep the current passive skills.

Then as they add reputation systems and passive skills. I'll think about my choices then. Starting after the Dyson rep.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    i claimed it

lol, nice joke, you can stop trolling now

Personally, i can see how this can be annoying, but honestly, this was expected, anyone with common sense can see having all those buffs were a bit much.
  • Options
    phadrenphadren Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    prechar wrote: »
    While this change saddens me and the thread is 135 pages long Nothing is going to change here Cryptic/PWE will push on with this and ignore any critical posts.

The Fact is that only by loosing 30-40% of the player base in protest over the change will anything happen! Even if everyone who protested in this thread (Which I highly doubt would) were to walk out it would amount to less than 1% of the player base lost and Cryptic will take that and Smile because over 99% would still be logging in Daily for their grind and bums on seats means Money for them. its a shame we are seen as walking wallets and not people but Cryptic dont care they are getting payed.

Its not live yet and last I checked its not even on tribble yet....and loosing (losing) 30 to 40%, just curious where you got that number from?
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    No. Keep the current passive skills.

Then as they add reputation systems and passive skills. I'll think about my choices then. Starting after the Dyson rep.

and if you think they care that anyone is against it, your in denial

This change is happening whether people like it or not.

First off, all those people claiming they are leaving, they will be back in a coupel days, or so, becuase this is a stupif reason to leave. If they really are leaving, they did not like this game anyway and were just trying to find a way to leave.

For those who are really leaving.......CAN I HAZ YOUR STUFFZ :)
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    lol, nice joke, you can stop trolling now

Personally, i can see how this can be annoying, but honestly, this was expected, anyone with common sense can see having all those buffs were a bit much.

It is a lot. So, Cryptic could have limited to this point then as explained. Put in the new system, people can keep the passive skills but limit the number of skills to that. So, lets say we have 16 passive skills. It stays at 16 passive skills. We would have to choose from there on.

Instead Cryptic, lets make it 8(4 ground, 4 space), and buff up the skills so it doesn't match to the original in all. Still buff some so it looks like a improvement. Some skills would help to add to the power creep helping some ships do 80k to 100k dps.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    and if you think they care that anyone is against it, your in denial

This change is happening whether people like it or not.

First off, all those people claiming they are leaving, they will be back in a coupel days, or so, becuase this is a stupif reason to leave. If they really are leaving, they did not like this game anyway and were just trying to find a way to leave.

For those who are really leaving.......CAN I HAZ YOUR STUFFZ :)

I don't think Cryptic cares. I don't think they care about anyone.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Dyson rep hourly xp projects can be ran 24/7, for the first time character you can clear dyson rep within 17 days.

Running Dyson rep 24 hours per day for 17 days straight?

That seems like fun gameplay to you?

There's a couple threads over in the general forums talking about how boring the Mirror Invasion event is when running it on 5 or more alts for 14 days straight.
    A character with sponsorship can be cleared within 8-9 days.

Alts. Irrelevant.

Anyways, the shift in what they're doing will make ALL reps easier. Like Romulan and Nukara. And all new reps, like Undine. Making the ability to finish all reps on a single character take less time.

And they reinforced their time gates. Which doesn't bother me. And would probably give you some time to sleep and to empty your bottles and use a real restroom for once in the past 17 days.

Good luck to you sir. The game is changing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bitfury72bitfury72 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The Rep System was designed to get over the RA LVL 50 hump. So, people complaining about how a Base 50 vs a Max Rep'd 50 is going to be unfair, is foolish.

Rep system is like levels 51-65 (Look at the EXP curve), so of course a "level 65" rep'd RA is going to kick a lot of TRIBBLE vs LVL 50 people and content. Every level grouping you get new abilities (EM3/MW etc) and why not factor the rep powers into that.

I think the first mistake is trying to reel in the rep system (should just nuke it), why not make it levels 51-65. As you level the lower levels, new static abilities and powers are unlocked -- why not keep the rep the same way? Levels 51-55 Borg, Levels 55-60 Nukara.. etc. Grab all that Foundry content thats good, tweak and add to the main story.

The admiral rank should be for guilds only (and NPC's). The first 50 Levels should be reaching captain, then the next 50 should be something like 'journeyman captain'. Start a guild and the two people under you and the leader get admiral standing. Thousands of solo admirals running around seems crazy.

No matter how it looks though, I feel like I got ripped off. I get the balancing act that is required, but still when you think of the weeks of work per character to get there only to have them removed will always feel like a loss.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    And replaced them with more marks. So you get enough marks to do the same thing a commendation would do, PLUS enough marks to do an hourly PLUS 10 more marks to bank.

So you do your one "daily" mission like before that would net a commendation and you get more out of what you would have doing it today.

It's like no one read the blog.

/stunned

minus how much ec and expertise?
    plus we'll see how much marks are actually given.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Running Dyson rep 24 hours per day for 17 days straight?

That seems like fun gameplay to you?

There's a couple threads over in the general forums talking about how boring the Mirror Invasion event is when running it on 5 or more alts for 14 days straight.

Alts. Irrelevant.

Anyways, the shift in what they're doing will make ALL reps easier. Like Romulan and Nukara. And all new reps, like Undine. Making the ability to finish all reps on a single character take less time.

And they reinforced their time gates. Which doesn't bother me. And would probably give you some time to sleep and to empty your bottles and use a real restroom for once in the past 17 days.

Good luck to you sir. The game is changing.

and you didn't refute the point i made so i win.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    bitfury72 wrote: »
    No matter how it looks though, I feel like I got ripped off. I get the balancing act that is required, but still when you think of the weeks of work per character to get there only to have them removed will always feel like a loss.

No matter what Cryptic calls it. It's a rip off. Period. Ditto.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    No matter what Cryptic calls it. It's a rip off. Period. Ditto.

It was the same thing with the dilithium conversion. Too many people would have had too much dilithium after the conversion, therefore everything converted to dilithium was done so at a fraction of the value. Hours/Days/Months of dailies and exploration missions were wasted by many players as a result. Their rewards from that were simply removed during the conversion.

But at least those of us who had a certain amount of dilithium ended up getting those veteran bridge officers.

For this? All of our time and resources dedicated to the rep systems are shrugged off to make the system more appealing to other players who weren't willing to grind the rep systems to begin with.

I don't think we were ripped off so much as thrown under the bus.

The rep system was there for an alternate advancement (or sidegrade) system. Cryptic decided too many people had completed the rep systems despite the fact they knew it could not be infinitely scalable, and threw them under the bus because they played the game and sought the lucrative rewards promised to them.

Players who achieved their goals are being punished to make room for potential new players to achieve the same goals.

Which is funny, because they aren't willing to do the same with the Fleet Progression system.

Cryptic is doing this fully knowing the rep system was unpopular, flawed, and that it would TRIBBLE off the people who earned their rewards.

Every ounce of backlash they're getting is deserved. They knew what they were getting into when they decided to 'fix' the rep system now instead of then.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    ninestickyninesticky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Yet another attempt by the developer team to make this game Un-fun no wonder so many players in my fleet have simply stopped logging in. Way to make the game worse guys. All that work ripped away. First you drive them away with the calendar change and now even if we can get them to come back to play occasionally you make it so they'll be weaker if they do. Moronic simply useless. Only thing I can figure this change is for, is to cannibalize the Star Trek Online player base in the hope you'll drive them into one of your other properties. I guess this game has stopped making a profit since you no longer care about keeping long time players happy.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    It was the same thing with the dilithium conversion. Too many people would have had too much dilithium after the conversion, therefore everything converted to dilithium was done so at a fraction of the value. Hours/Days/Months of dailies and exploration missions were wasted by many players as a result. Their rewards from that were simply removed during the conversion.

But at least those of us who had a certain amount of dilithium ended up getting those veteran bridge officers.

For this? All of our time and resources dedicated to the rep systems are shrugged off to make the system more appealing to other players who weren't willing to grind the rep systems to begin with.

I don't think we were ripped off so much as thrown under the bus.

The rep system was there for an alternate advancement (or sidegrade) system. Cryptic decided too many people had completed the rep systems despite the fact they knew it could not be infinitely scalable, and threw them under the bus because they played the game and sought the lucrative rewards promised to them.

Players who achieved their goals are being punished to make room for potential new players to achieve the same goals.

Which is funny, because they aren't willing to do the same with the Fleet Progression system.

Cryptic is doing this fully knowing the rep system was unpopular, flawed, and that it would TRIBBLE off the people who earned their rewards.

Every ounce of backlash they're getting is deserved. They knew what they were getting into when they decided to 'fix' the rep system now instead of then.

I agree. It sounds pretty accurate.
  • Options
    smoketh2smoketh2 Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    People seem to think cryptic are actually going to start generating content again after this change?

Ha, what a joke. It will just be rep system after rep system as it has been for the last year+.

All this change will mean is that you can only slot a small amount of the new abilities you have unlocked by completing reps. We may occasionally see one new featured episode from them every now and again to try and keep you happy.

Don't expect to see more reps more often they will still be released at the same old slow rate as before

I wont argue, the reputation systems sucked all the fun out of the STFs when they took away the gear loot drops. Most people were against the rep system but we still had it forced upon us and when we go ahead and accept it and grind it out to get "our" rewards from doing it we get punished again and told actually you've taken too much from it.

Lets look at some of Cryptic's track record shall we:

*Poor conversion of borg gear into marks and BNPs when the Omega rep started.
    *Nerfing of c-store items after people buy them without offering compensation or a refund
    *Nerfing the Romulan embassy boffs crit chance with no offer of a dili or fc refund
    *many other things I can't remember right now...

and now finally this.

All they have done here is make themselves even more untrustworthy and for that I am now done with this game and will be taking my money and time elsewhere. You can't trust what they say. You can sure as hell bet that there will be a lock box item or a c-store item that offers more reputation slots regardless of what they say.

To those in favour of all this I say enjoy whatever future changes this brings, you well and truly deserve them and I don't have to be a part of it.

To all those who say kthnxbai can I haz your stuff, the answer is no your partly to blame for the state of them game. I shall therefore give my toons a viking funeral.

BYE!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    shmojoshmojo Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I think Bender can best convey what i think of the upcoming Rep changes.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Take away from the earned elite and give to a whiner.
    Sounds like some of the "earned elite" are the whiners in this thread...
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    System Designer Jeff "AdjudicatorHawk" Hamilton shares some of the new changes to Reputation Powers in this entry of the Season 9 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the blog.

I see a lot of aggravated and mad people. I'm not surprise there has not been any response from PWE, Cryptic, or the Moderators. I guess you all don't care. Classic Cryptic.
This discussion has been closed.