What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Season 9 Dev Blog #5: Changes to Reputation Powers

Comments

• Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I personally see this as another addition to the list of way of making it too easy for players to swap things around.

I think people should be prepared to chose a path to go down and accept that it may not work out for them but thats the risk they take.

Sure you can retrain or sawp ships etc but it should not be instant, these things should cost money or take time.

I just tihkn we're gonna end up with a whole load of new players who can't play any specific roles well because they spend too much time sawpping things out whenever they come up against a hard mission etc.

I fully accept the rep powers i've chosen, they might not be best sutied to every situation but that's the risk of take chosing them. If they don't help me i either adapt my playstyle or kit set-up or i save up for a respec.

Giving it out free swaps at any time stops people thinking about the consequences of their choices.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Dilithium conversion fiasco all over again. Thanks D'Angelo. Say goodbye to half your hard earned rep powers in season 9.

is this a half baked way of saying "i quit" in a thread? if this is the case, i would suggest not trying to go any further.

there is also a thread about it elsewhere, so guess the mods will merge it at some point.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    solidneutroniumsolidneutronium Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    chiyoumiku wrote: »
    Want some Brie or some Gouda with that Whine?
    Are you able to get some, seeing your face is buried somewhere?
    Professional Slider Since 2409

Officially Nerfed In Early 2410
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    smoketh2 wrote: »
    Who said that I did?

I didn't say that, I said some players may have, why don't you go sit down since you clearly can't read and since your obviously new to this game, some of us have been here from the start and are severely miffed by these changes. When i invest my time into something to get something out of it I don't expect to have it taken away.

wha...what? i didn't quote you or respond to you, whoever you are. how could you look at my 5800 posts and think oh check out the newbe! im a day 1 lifetime player, i got all the reps, and this is a good thing. powercreep is a cancer if its not managed properly, this is managing it properly. none of the reps become any less worth leveling with this change. theres a good chance you will want one of the traits, and the rep gear is still just as must have as always
  • Options
    bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    reximuz wrote: »
    Your level 45 that is bolstered to level 54 stats, making the gear they worked for pointless.

Herp Derp indeed.

OOh smarty pants here...cause ya the skills that they get at 45-54 sure don't make a diference at all....ROLFCOPTER
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

• Options
    o0kami87o0kami87 Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Umm... must say I'm confused, maybe because I'm on the mobile site, will re-read when I get home.
    First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
  • Options
    adjudicatorhawkadjudicatorhawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    krilldarn wrote: »
    So your saying that a buckfaced raw captain should be able to go head to head with a committed player who spends hours in game...

I've seen this assertion made repeatedly, and I want to clarify - I'm not saying a new 50 should be equal to a veteran 50, nor will they be under this new system. I am saying that combat math where a fresh 50 deals 500 DPS but a veteran 50 deals 40,000 DPS is too wide a performance delta to sustain gameplay between those two actors.
    Jeff "Adjudicator Hawk" Hamilton
    Systems Designer - Cryptic Studios
    Twitter: @JeffAHamilton
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Well, one way to reward long-standing players could be to give extra Rep Trait slots as Veteran Rewards?

For example...

600 Days +1 Passive Space Rep Trait Slot

800 Days +1 Passive Ground Rep Trait Slot

1000 Days +1 Active Rep Trait Slot

It would be a small bump, but veteran players would feel better about it and there would be a hard limit to that power creep.

Along the same lines, dedicated Rep grinders could be rewarded for reaching Tier 5 in multiple Reputations.

3 or More T5 Reputations, +1 Passive Ground Rep Trait Slot

5 or More T5 Reputations, +1 Passive Space Rep Trait Slot

7 or More T5 Reputations, +1 Active Rep Trait Slot

And then hard cap that.

Anything that gives players a logical progression for earning more trait slots and has a built-in cap for how many extra slots can be earned.

think the former is reasonable, the latter seems a little excessive.
  • Options
    celillarnoncelillarnon Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    sthraxpwe wrote: »
    Bingo. "Diversity" will disappear within 24 hrs of this hitting Holodeck and everyone taking the best traits to max DPS.

I have eight characters, 6 of them have maxed all the reps. The remaining two might as well only do Omega rep and T1/T2 of Rom if this goes live. Maybe T1/T2 of Dyson. No sense in doing anymore of them.

The suggestion of keeping it at 8/8/4 so nothing currently gained is lost and then allowing us to choose going forward to swap rep traits as we please would be a much smarter way to go.

Even doing it as 6/6/4 might help some, at the very least it'd let six powers have time in the sun rather than 4.
  • Options
    bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I've seen this assertion made repeatedly, and I want to clarify - I'm not saying a new 50 should be equal to a veteran 50, nor will they be under this new system. I am saying that combat math where a fresh 50 deals 500 DPS but a veteran 50 deals 40,000 DPS is too wide a performance delta to sustain gameplay between those two actors.

maybe if they knew what they were doing ?? I dunno that seems like a huge margin of error for something the vet just simply had 5% bonus in.....

btw im making popcorn who wants it with extra butter>??
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

• Options
    maddrivermaddriver Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This actually sounds like a great idea, considering that we will be able to change them for free whenever out of combat.
    The old (current) reputation system had a big problem in my opinion: what if I wanted two powers from the same Tier ? For example both powers from T3 Omega.
    Now I can have them both activated, at the same time.

Also, people seem to forget that there is also such a limit for the passive character skills. There is a limit to how many skill points you can invest in space and ground skills. And that is a good thing.
    What would the game be like if we could invest every single skill point in unlocking all passive skills ?
    What would people say: "I've earned 10 billion skill points, therefore I should be able to unlock all skills" ?

I am really looking forward to the new reputation system.
    Ignum Campaign NWS-DBBV2EY9G
    "The quest for the Book of Ignum"
    Chapter 1 Path to the Underworld NW-DA4N8EOZD
    "I have seen your future. I have seen your end"
  • Options
    venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I have this problem now. I can be a witness.

While my fleetmates get 1,000,000+ dps in space, I currently get around 400,000 dps in space. I lose out in making enough damage, so that I can compete for a better set of rewards.
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Your welcome Jeff. I do everything to please you guys. Ask Taco...

Hey Worffan, did you see? I too called him Jeff.

I WILL DEFEAT YOU, ORGANICMANFRED!!!!!

My love for the dev team is purer than yours!!!1!111!!!!!!!one!!!

Praise Tacofangs, from whom all blessings flow! Praise Him, all lowly players here below...
    Praise Him and his holy host...praise Gorngonzola, Jeff, and all the Devs...
    Aaaaaaaaaa-men.....

:D
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So I read the blog but it's late, been a long day at work, I'm tired and confused.

So is this what happens:

You only get 4 passives for ground and 4 passives for space? Entirely? Across all the reputations?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    paspinallpaspinall Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited March 2014

And 8 passives SO makes that 39500 achievable where as 4 more powerful passives doesnt. err what ?

As of course opposed to Romulans being able to stupidly stack crit traits on boffs or from releasing ships vastly more powerful than other ones.
  • Options
    jack24bau3rjack24bau3r Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Cause doffs, gear, consoles, traits, skill points clearly don't have a LARGER impact on the deepz than the o my dear gawd rep passives.

dat logic.

and oh btw ill still put up 50k+ runs even without 8 passives. its just wrong that you are STEALING THEM away from me.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »

Praise Tacofangs, from whom all blessings flow! Praise Him, all lowly players here below...
    Aaaaaaaaaa-men.....

"hallowed are the ori" i expect to see next :rolleyes:.
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I am saying that combat math where a fresh 50 deals 500 DPS but a veteran 50 deals 40,000 DPS is too wide a performance delta to sustain gameplay between those two actors.

And you think thats because of passives from reps?

Oh come on.

And I'm sorry, but the pick'n'mix approach will actually make that worse.

Because the mutually exclusive pairs that exist now will be able to be picked together.

I wonder what the numbers would look like on a science boat with max aux picking both Nukara T4 passives.

You want to address the sort of disparity you speak of? Then its all about the gear, not the passives.
  • Options
    zardonfarzardonfar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'm confused by something.. Why is everyone complaining about "Power Creep"? Far as I can tell, all the Power Creep is coming from the Fleet Equipment and Zen/Lockbox ships.. Not from the Rep system.. Maybe over time, sure.. But right now the passive powers are a joke. I don't think anything stacks.
  • Options
    paspinallpaspinall Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    maddriver wrote: »
    This actually sounds like a great idea, considering that we will be able to change them for free whenever out of combat.
    The old (current) reputation system had a big problem in my opinion: what if I wanted two powers from the same Tier ? For example both powers from T3 Omega.
    Now I can have them both activated, at the same time.

Also, people seem to forget that there is also such a limit for the passive character traits. There is a limit to how many skill points you can invest in space and ground traits. And that is a good thing. Same applies in the case of the new reputation system.

I am really looking forward to it.

such limits already having been there and dont suddenly make you have to half the number you take.
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    "hallowed are the ori" i expect to see next :rolleyes:.

You mean "Hallowed are the dev team"...:D
  • Options
    smoketh2smoketh2 Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    wha...what? i didn't quote you or respond to you, whoever you are. how could you look at my 5800 posts and think oh check out the newbe! im a day 1 lifetime player, i got all the reps, and this is a good thing. powercreep is a cancer if its not managed properly, this is managing it properly. none of the reps become any less worth leveling with this change. theres a good chance you will want one of the traits, and the rep gear is still just as must have as always

Sorry dontdrunkimshoot,

That post was intended for wildweasal who joined Jan 2013.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »

Aaaaaaaaaa-men.....

And your still not invited to Bran's wedding... Kevin
  • Options
    solidneutroniumsolidneutronium Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    is this a half baked way of saying "i quit" in a thread? if this is the case, i would suggest not trying to go any further.

there is also a thread about it elsewhere, so guess the mods will merge it at some point.
    Nah, but good try boss.
    Professional Slider Since 2409

Officially Nerfed In Early 2410
  • Options
    adjudicatorhawkadjudicatorhawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    bluegeek wrote: »
    So you're saying loadouts are a design goal for Reputations and not just wishful thinking?

Yes, they are.
    Jeff "Adjudicator Hawk" Hamilton
    Systems Designer - Cryptic Studios
    Twitter: @JeffAHamilton
  • Options
    senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    8/8/4 minus the new power buffs is really the only way to go here.
    Fixes the existing power creep issue without TRIBBLE over anyone.

If you guys truly meant you have no intention to take anything away from the players then you will do this.
  • Options
    antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    buff existing content, more difficulty levels,

LESS REP PASSIVE NERFS.

plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Sure... Jump the level to 60 instead... nullify all your ships and gear... this would also fix the issue.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • Options
    siliconpsychosiliconpsycho Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I agree with the earlier poster

This change (including some recent ones - ie, elachi proc) is going to RUIN pvp for anyone not in a battlecloaking rom ship.

More DPS, More Crit, and with a team of 5 slotting the power that can turn your weapons off?

Fun times will not be had

And for PVE, will just make well equipped, specced and doffed players even more deadly to NPCs.

Yes you only get 4 passives, but, and I think many people have glossed over this, the rep passives are being supper boosted! so the 4 you take may be greater than the 8/16 you might have had before

This wont encourage diversity, it will just encourage even more power creep as people figre the best ones to take and build around it. In a way, this will penalise those "fresh 50s" even more
  • Options
    thegrimcorsairthegrimcorsair Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    To all the people who're saying this is world ending nerf that ruins all your abilities and invalidates your Rep, all I have to say is don't worry, one day you'll find that forest you're looking for. In fact, it's so close, it's right behind that tree in front of your face.

Excellent Blog, 10/10, would "Like" it, but I can't find the button to do so.
    If you feel Keel'el's effect is well designed, please, for your own safety, be very careful around shallow pools of water.
  • Options
    wanderintxwanderintx Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Well, looking at the value and usefulness of the rep skills is certainly welcome. Especially since so many see Nukara as worthless going by their thread.

So I guess it's a question of whether or not the proposed buffs are worth limiting our ability to use what we have already earned.

I will say that I like the player proposed idea of capping the system now at 8 space and 8 ground passives. My understanding is that there is not to be any level cap increase soon, or ever given the investment many have made in their gear. If the rep system was the answer to increasing ability without increasing level, this really does feel like you are reducing player achievement at the moment. The rep system is after all how max level characters distinguish themselves other than gear. I guess we won't know until testing.

On a side note, if we purchased a rep respec in the last few months, guilty, we are getting that refunded? ;) Right? Right? No? Sigh. :(
This discussion has been closed.