test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO Outage (3/21/14) [Resolved!]

Comments

• varekraithvarekraith Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    alpharat wrote: »
    Isn't there a backup server that could server as a fail over? After all, this is a PRODUCTION commercial server, and one would think it should have a BACKUP. If one of my production servers went down like this (and it seems to be often), I'd be FIRED on the spot. All I can say is wow.....

You know what they say about 'assumptions', no?
  • the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    aten66 wrote: »
    I hope this extends the Mirror event, merely for the sake of players who missed the first week and need the final fourteen days, this being one of them.

I hope this does happen, because I needed this day for my characters.

That's actually what I was logging in to do the mirror event for the day.

As far as earlier comments on this thread that this kind of thing is not common, well the part where the whole server goes down might not be common however, server not responding messages are highly common in this title. NWO doesn't have them at all didn't even have them in beta, there's something going on with STO's servers has been for some time. I get long long delays between maps on this game that I never ever see on NWO and then messages like the one about where it sometimes gets into the 300 second mark of server not talking to my rig. It's annoying to say the least.
  • badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    LFG "Outside Adventure Zone" for RL rep. PM me
  • skylarcometskylarcomet Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    casbyness wrote: »
    It's only affecting Earth. Andorian and Vulcan players are still online.

What aout the Romulans and Klingons?
    >:)ruff, meow, moo, whatever.... *shrug*
    [ Still Waiting for a Shiny New T6 Romulan Science Ship to Command ]
  • alpharatalpharat Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    jacknm1 wrote: »
    I'm sorry to hear you've not played with PWE before, Welcome and enjoy these forums :)

Silly me :) I must be on fantasy island LOL...I'll keep waiting, and waiting, and waiting...thanks for the insight :D
  • stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    askray wrote: »
    Paypal me gas money and sure I'll drive on over ;)

But it'll take about 2ish hours to get there :P
    *Throwing paypals at you*

^^That's what you meant, right?
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Nerf is OP, plz nerf
    That's quite the paradox, how could you nerf nerf when the nerf is nerfed. But how would the nerf be nerfed when the nerf is nerfed? This allows the nerf not to be nerfed since the nerf is nerfed? But if the nerf isn't nerfed, it could still nerf nerfs. But as soon as the nerf is nerfed, the nerf power is lost. So paradoxally it the nerf nerf lost its nerf, while it's still nerfed, which cannot be because the nerf was unable to nerf.

I call it, the Stoutes paradox.
  • casbynesscasbyness Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Isn't there a backup server that could server as a fail over?

Hahahahahahahahaaaahahaha...hahahahahaaaa...

You're joking, right?

Wait. You ARE joking, right?

Pfft..."back up server". Next you'll be telling us the ship should have a crew and only Wesley can save us.
  • thisisoverlordthisisoverlord Member Posts: 949 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    As I said this is identical to a routing issue they had about 18 months ago which led to a long outage why they tried to work out why they weren't resolving down the jumps.

It took a while to sort it out and I think it was more of a problem in Europe than it was elsewhere.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #2311#2700#2316#2500
  • rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Doooooooooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!
    They're not really gone, as long as we remember them
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    askray wrote: »
    Paypal me gas money and sure I'll drive on over ;)

But it'll take about 2ish hours to get there :P

What does gas cost over there...

AND you have a tablet and/or smartphone... Stop every 10 mins and check the forums with that.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • tfomegatfomega Member Posts: 812 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    this thread is slowing down.. PWE employee please post the same information again so we can pick up the posts per minute rate again!

I AM NOT A FAN OF PWE!!!!
    MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2010
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Server down?!? I didn't know we had a Server Stability Update today. :P
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • jacknm1jacknm1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    tfomega wrote: »
    this thread is slowing down.. PWE employee please post the same information again so we can pick up the posts per minute rate again!

yea, I've hit refresh like six times now, i need to something to do other than drink on my friday night......i need to get out more
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lag Industries Executive - Fleet Project Management
    PvP Boot Camp Coach
    STO - Will PvP For Food - Official OPVP Channel <-Click Me
    /channel_join OrganizedPvP
  • rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Next Gen is on BBC America anyway :)
    They're not really gone, as long as we remember them
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
  • casbynesscasbyness Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    As I said this is identical to a routing issue they had about 18 months ago which led to a long outage why they tried to work out why they weren't resolving down the jumps.

It took a while to sort it out and I think it was more of a problem in Europe than it was elsewhere.

Thank you, old alternative future reality Spock. Now the next question - did they defeat this issue, and if so, how? :)
  • metaphorgrandemetaphorgrande Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I'm a little concerned by this comment of yours. Just because it works fine for you does not mean you should conclude all is okay for everyone. It isn't. Sever has been in ''down' status for hours now. Please, fix.

I too pointed this comment from this moderator out. This is not the way a moderator should be answering posts , IMHO. Not sure if they are new to the forum or what the deal is with that answer, but they should be removed as a "community moderator" if this is how they reply to actual outtages being experienced by players.
  • thelatathelata Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    the question is what will you do when STO is gone and no longer here?:confused:
  • skylarcometskylarcomet Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    That's actually what I was logging in to do the mirror event for the day.

As far as earlier comments on this thread that this kind of thing is not common, well the part where the whole server goes down might not be common however, server not responding messages are highly common in this title. NWO doesn't have them at all didn't even have them in beta, there's something going on with STO's servers has been for some time. I get long long delays between maps on this game that I never ever see on NWO and then messages like the one about where it sometimes gets into the 300 second mark of server not talking to my rig. It's annoying to say the least.

This is true, but I only ever get that kind of thing with the random generated content, like explring in Delta Volanis and the like. I assume it's a few random generation rolls to figure out what the area will look like, what si going on, and all of that, I can see a conficting argument happening in that situation causing a hangup, it's annoying for sure, but I can see it happening.
    I haven't played NWO, so I don't know how it works, or if it has random map spaces similar to STO.
    >:)ruff, meow, moo, whatever.... *shrug*
    [ Still Waiting for a Shiny New T6 Romulan Science Ship to Command ]
  • tharrisxtharrisx Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Connecting to the login server..............

Nope. For many hours. Fail. :mad:
  • stelakkhstelakkh Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Server down?!? I didn't know we had a Server Stability Update today. :P

Now see? There's your problem!

For shame. Thinking we had any Server Stability at all, and then believing those Server Stability updates are for server stability. What's wrong with you, man? :D
    Actual Join Date: August, 2008
  • alpharatalpharat Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Hahahahahahahahaaaahahaha...hahahahahaaaa...

You're joking, right?

Wait. You ARE joking, right?

Pfft..."back up server". Next you'll be telling us the ship should have a crew and only Wesley can save us.

I was joking just a little bit..not really though LOL..I'm a dreamer..;)
    edited March 2014
    old alternative future reality

A string of words you'll only find in Trek! :D
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • megacharge07megacharge07 Member Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Isn't there a backup server that could server as a fail over? After all, this is a PRODUCTION commercial server, and one would think it should have a BACKUP. If one of my production servers went down like this (and it seems to be often), I'd be FIRED on the spot. All I can say is wow.....

Clearly you don't know.

(A) STO is run from a home server (probably an average desktop running a 4 year old AMD CPU) obviously.

(B) If PWE/Cryptic actually cared about their players, they'd be running a proper server with backups.
    tumblr_mt0cmzAQpC1rm3hhlo2_500.gif
  • stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    anazonda wrote: »

AND you have a tablet and/or smartphone... Stop every 10 mins and check the forums with that.
    Totally nothing, considering it's around 1.80 euro's a litre over here.
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Nerf is OP, plz nerf
    That's quite the paradox, how could you nerf nerf when the nerf is nerfed. But how would the nerf be nerfed when the nerf is nerfed? This allows the nerf not to be nerfed since the nerf is nerfed? But if the nerf isn't nerfed, it could still nerf nerfs. But as soon as the nerf is nerfed, the nerf power is lost. So paradoxally it the nerf nerf lost its nerf, while it's still nerfed, which cannot be because the nerf was unable to nerf.

I call it, the Stoutes paradox.
  • romeowhiskey4romeowhiskey4 Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I spend 3 hoursdriving to the inlaws, finally hook up my laptop to their internet and disappear to 'work on the big project' and find sto is down... So... Someone want to give me an excuse as to why I suddenly have no work to do????? :D
    edited March 2014
    stelakkh wrote: »
    Now see? There's your problem!

For shame. Thinking we had any Server Stability at all, and then believing those Server Stability updates are for server stability. What's wrong with you, man? :D

Like roach spray isn't used to bring roaches in...
  • sammyspet1sammyspet1 Member Posts: 212 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    A string of words you'll only find in Trek! :D

or SG1........
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

wanted to beat the Delta Meme n00bs LOL
    Join Date a player made up is NOT correct!
  • tfomegatfomega Member Posts: 812 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    1000th post!

I AM NOT A FAN OF PWE!!!!
    MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2010
  • zeratkzeratk Member Posts: 409
    edited March 2014
    LFG "Outside Adventure Zone" for RL rep. PM me

Lol, you told us 2hrs ago you would leave for RL, since then you are asking for Associates in here. Just log off and take a breath in fresh air. ;)
    This is Crypticverse... :mad:
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    anazonda wrote: »

Uh then it'd take like 4 hours to get to the offices lol.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

This discussion has been closed.