Install Arc
Options

STO Outage (3/21/14) [Resolved!]

Comments

• Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    tantho wrote: »
    lol nearly 100 pages of: waaaaaaaa I can't get on... waaaaaaa. Good god climb the stairs out of your basements and see if the world still exists.

God, I wish I had a basement to dwell in.
  • Options
    shawnawhitewolfshawnawhitewolf Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    casbyness wrote: »
    My name is John Crichton, an MMO player.

An internet charge hit Perfectworld and I got shot. Through. A forum. Now I'm lost in some distant part of the general discussion section on a thread, a SPAMMY THREAD, full of trolling alien life forms.

Help me. Listen, please. Is there anybody out there who can hear me? I'm being hunted by an insane forum moderator. Doing everything I can. I'm just looking...for a way home...

Resistance is futile.
  • Options
    aelrhianaaelrhiana Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I hope they extend the MU event by a day or two; not demanding or anything just hoping. Some of us have more than a couple of toons to do, and only have certain times of the day available in which to run them. I've already lost 3 hours of play time this morning, and in another two hours that's it for me and STO for the day, or usually is.

Please consider extending the event by one or two days, sit would be most helpful.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    stelakkhstelakkh Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    no, actually, Anet would do nothing, and they listen to their players worse than Cryptic does.

You're 100% wrong. In the two times I've seen Guild Wars go down suddenly like this in over 7 years, both times ANet extended the event and/or replayed the event at a later date. Of course, the fact that it only happened with such astonishing infrequency in over more than 7 years speaks to the volumes of competency ANet has that Cryptic lacks. But that's another story.

A crash/bug during the Wintersday event years ago is why Wintersday in July started.

And when a bug caused some people to not get the special holiday hats one year, they extended the event so that everyone had a chance to get the hats.

And they threw a little something at you, too.

I can't speak to Guild Wars 2, because I absolutely hate it and haven't played it enough to know whether or not it crashes with any regularity like STO.

But ANet absolutely made sure you knew they A) cared and B) were concerned about their customer base in Guild Wars.
    Actual Join Date: August, 2008
  • Options
    alpharatalpharat Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Isn't there a backup server that could server as a fail over? After all, this is a PRODUCTION commercial server, and one would think it should have a BACKUP. If one of my production servers went down like this (and it seems to be often), I'd be FIRED on the spot. All I can say is wow.....
  • Options
    tfomegatfomega Member Posts: 812 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    askray wrote: »
    /snip

yes, but you are in CA.. drive to cryptic and find out for us!!!!!

I AM NOT A FAN OF PWE!!!!
    MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2010
  • Options
    jacknm1jacknm1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    alpharat wrote: »
    Isn't there a backup server that could server as a fail over? After all, this is a PRODUCTION commercial server, and one would think it should have a BACKUP. If one of my production servers went down like this (and it seems to be often), I'd be FIRED on the spot. All I can say is wow.....

I'm sorry to hear you've not played with PWE before, Welcome and enjoy these forums :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lag Industries Executive - Fleet Project Management
    PvP Boot Camp Coach
    STO - Will PvP For Food - Official OPVP Channel <-Click Me
    /channel_join OrganizedPvP
  • Options
    wildboarwildboar Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    stoutes wrote: »
    I had enough time to do some extra work, but... aren't you a bit off-topic here? ;):cool:.

You caught me.. that gentleman earlier going off to the Pub to wait for STO got me thirsty and too distracted to stay entirely in-character but I gave it a good run. Off to have a cold one of my own.

Also nothing but respect for all of you including the cryptic employees (and volunteers) whom I love to poke fun at, but do respect more highly than most game industry types I've met both online or off. I tip my hat to you Sirs and good luck getting things right, and try not to lose all your marbles Askray. Cheers :)
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Ha! you didn't buy enough keys to allow them to buy a backup server. Shame on you!

• Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    tfomega wrote: »
    yes, but you are in CA.. drive to cryptic and find out for us!!!!!

Paypal me gas money and sure I'll drive on over ;)

But it'll take about 2ish hours to get there :P
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    varekraithvarekraith Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited March 2014

You know what they say about 'assumptions', no?
  • Options
    the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    aten66 wrote: »
    I hope this extends the Mirror event, merely for the sake of players who missed the first week and need the final fourteen days, this being one of them.

I hope this does happen, because I needed this day for my characters.

That's actually what I was logging in to do the mirror event for the day.

As far as earlier comments on this thread that this kind of thing is not common, well the part where the whole server goes down might not be common however, server not responding messages are highly common in this title. NWO doesn't have them at all didn't even have them in beta, there's something going on with STO's servers has been for some time. I get long long delays between maps on this game that I never ever see on NWO and then messages like the one about where it sometimes gets into the 300 second mark of server not talking to my rig. It's annoying to say the least.
  • Options
    badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    LFG "Outside Adventure Zone" for RL rep. PM me
  • Options
    skylarcometskylarcomet Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    casbyness wrote: »
    It's only affecting Earth. Andorian and Vulcan players are still online.

What aout the Romulans and Klingons?
    >:)ruff, meow, moo, whatever.... *shrug*
    [ Still Waiting for a Shiny New T6 Romulan Science Ship to Command ]
  • Options
    alpharatalpharat Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    jacknm1 wrote: »
    I'm sorry to hear you've not played with PWE before, Welcome and enjoy these forums :)

Silly me :) I must be on fantasy island LOL...I'll keep waiting, and waiting, and waiting...thanks for the insight :D
  • Options
    stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited March 2014

*Throwing paypals at you*

^^That's what you meant, right?
  • Options
    casbynesscasbyness Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Isn't there a backup server that could server as a fail over?

Hahahahahahahahaaaahahaha...hahahahahaaaa...

You're joking, right?

Wait. You ARE joking, right?

Pfft..."back up server". Next you'll be telling us the ship should have a crew and only Wesley can save us.
  • Options
    thisisoverlordthisisoverlord Member Posts: 949 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    As I said this is identical to a routing issue they had about 18 months ago which led to a long outage why they tried to work out why they weren't resolving down the jumps.

It took a while to sort it out and I think it was more of a problem in Europe than it was elsewhere.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #2311#2700#2316#2500
  • Options
    rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Doooooooooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!
    They're not really gone, as long as we remember them
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited March 2014

What does gas cost over there...

AND you have a tablet and/or smartphone... Stop every 10 mins and check the forums with that.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    this thread is slowing down.. PWE employee please post the same information again so we can pick up the posts per minute rate again!

• Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Server down?!? I didn't know we had a Server Stability Update today. :P
  • Options
    jacknm1jacknm1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    tfomega wrote: »
    this thread is slowing down.. PWE employee please post the same information again so we can pick up the posts per minute rate again!

yea, I've hit refresh like six times now, i need to something to do other than drink on my friday night......i need to get out more
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lag Industries Executive - Fleet Project Management
    PvP Boot Camp Coach
    STO - Will PvP For Food - Official OPVP Channel <-Click Me
    /channel_join OrganizedPvP
  • Options
    rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Next Gen is on BBC America anyway :)
    They're not really gone, as long as we remember them
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
  • Options
    casbynesscasbyness Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    As I said this is identical to a routing issue they had about 18 months ago which led to a long outage why they tried to work out why they weren't resolving down the jumps.

It took a while to sort it out and I think it was more of a problem in Europe than it was elsewhere.

Thank you, old alternative future reality Spock. Now the next question - did they defeat this issue, and if so, how? :)
  • Options
    metaphorgrandemetaphorgrande Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I'm a little concerned by this comment of yours. Just because it works fine for you does not mean you should conclude all is okay for everyone. It isn't. Sever has been in ''down' status for hours now. Please, fix.

I too pointed this comment from this moderator out. This is not the way a moderator should be answering posts , IMHO. Not sure if they are new to the forum or what the deal is with that answer, but they should be removed as a "community moderator" if this is how they reply to actual outtages being experienced by players.
  • Options
    thelatathelata Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    the question is what will you do when STO is gone and no longer here?:confused:
  • Options
    skylarcometskylarcomet Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    That's actually what I was logging in to do the mirror event for the day.

As far as earlier comments on this thread that this kind of thing is not common, well the part where the whole server goes down might not be common however, server not responding messages are highly common in this title. NWO doesn't have them at all didn't even have them in beta, there's something going on with STO's servers has been for some time. I get long long delays between maps on this game that I never ever see on NWO and then messages like the one about where it sometimes gets into the 300 second mark of server not talking to my rig. It's annoying to say the least.

This is true, but I only ever get that kind of thing with the random generated content, like explring in Delta Volanis and the like. I assume it's a few random generation rolls to figure out what the area will look like, what si going on, and all of that, I can see a conficting argument happening in that situation causing a hangup, it's annoying for sure, but I can see it happening.
    I haven't played NWO, so I don't know how it works, or if it has random map spaces similar to STO.
    >:)ruff, meow, moo, whatever.... *shrug*
    [ Still Waiting for a Shiny New T6 Romulan Science Ship to Command ]
  • Options
    tharrisxtharrisx Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Connecting to the login server..............

Nope. For many hours. Fail. :mad:
  • Options
    stelakkhstelakkh Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Server down?!? I didn't know we had a Server Stability Update today. :P

Now see? There's your problem!

For shame. Thinking we had any Server Stability at all, and then believing those Server Stability updates are for server stability. What's wrong with you, man? :D
    Actual Join Date: August, 2008
This discussion has been closed.