Install Arc
Options

Missing Textures/Icons in season 8 *FIX INCOMING See post 608 page 61*

Comments

• Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Wow. And I thought I had it bad...

I've never seen the missing textures occur in an instance; only on public maps and sector space. I also have this sneaking suspicion that if I downgraded back to my old 6850 card the problem would resolve itself since it began for me right after i set up my 7870, bit i really don't want to perform surgery on the computer to fix a software problem.

lol :D You should see what happens to me, the green background in his picture is completely shiny white to me, making it completely impossible to even improvise under the circumistances.

However, I wouldn't recommend downgrading your card since it's happening to people all across and many of them (including me) haven't changed anything in their hardware or software setups. Furthermore, I'm experiencing this with STO exclusively and only since S8 with the exact same PC. I never encountered any similar issue with any other game I have (some much more demanding than STO), including Cryptic's own Neverwinter.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Yeah, they blinding white is a killer.

http://i.imgur.com/0Mawxe9.jpg

Even though I'm on the ground there, you can see the blinding white space outside. Can't fly in that lol.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    irwin109irwin109 Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    deiked wrote: »
    What do you mean by this? When I try to log in I get this blank black screen with music playing in the background instead of my character selection screen.

I get that sometimes when switching toons noow, have to launch task manager to close it although it's not entirely black, the build number is still visible at the top for me...
    IrwinSig-1.jpg

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan
  • Options
    nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Another thread of gfx's issues caused since Season 8. And yet STILL no acknowledgement from Cryptic? :rolleyes:

Do they even realize how bad this makes them look? :confused:

Quality Assurance - Two words with no meaning in the Cryptic lexicon :(
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    russellcarussellca Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    MBP 13" uni i7 64 gig ram 4 gig dedicated vram

went into a system that was pure white... i had a chuckle, and did the mission... it was a tad harder in white but still playable. then went to a star base and noticed a few ships missing their text's... chuckled harder, took a screenshot, and submitted a bug report... from reading the thread, it's not going to get far.. oh well ... figured i'd chime in too

I'd like to add this to the affected hardware lists in the main thread on this topic, but I don't recognise the build. I thought MBPs currently top out at 16GB maximum system RAM and up to -with tweaking!- 2GB integrated graphics VRAM (1.7GB accessible in Windows) or 2GB discrete chipset in dual-configuration options.
    Any chance you can state the actual onboard graphic chipset(s)? Or alternatively post the laptop model number and I'll look the specs up.

In case anyone is wondering where the very large original thread on this topic has gone, it has been b̶u̶r̶i̶e̶d̶ intelligently refiled under Windows and General: PC, Network and other technical issues. This despite being demonstrably cross-platform in nature.

• Options
    litchy74litchy74 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Well another patch and still the same problem , first toon got almost an hour before bloom, squares and glow bits everywhere.

Restart game this time got about 45 minutes, restart game about 30 minutes , there is definitely deminishing returns with restarting.

Well iits been 4 months must be at the top of their list :confused:
    Where ever you go, there you are.......

Join The Space Invaders,..... Federation and KDF fleets.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    New patch same problem, lucky this is in the Pc network area, other wise people may thinks its a cross platform problem graphics problem that been around for months and the board mod/devs have moved/hidden it here so poeple don't notice

But that would make me a sinick :mad:.

• Options
    eagledracoeagledraco Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Anyone have a better solution than restarting the game to fix WHITE-OUT?

I can play a few missions before textures start becoming white. Sometimes it will fix itself after 30 secs or so. But if I do not quit and completely restart some textures will become permanently white. :(

And for any dev reading, the best way to replicate this issue is to play a few missions then beam down to New Romulus Command.
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    eagledraco wrote: »
    Anyone have a better solution than restarting the game to fix WHITE-OUT?

I can play a few missions before textures start becoming white. Sometimes it will fix itself after 30 secs or so. But if I do not quit and completely restart some textures will become permanently white. :(

And for any dev reading, the best way to replicate this issue is to play a few missions then beam down to New Romulus Command.

A temporary fix I have found is when I go to the doff mission selection screen, and click on the engineering or operations specific doff listings it will clean up the problem.

Again this doesn't always work, but does sometimes temporarily resolve the issue for a longer period of time before it to will not resolve it.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    ragestroke008ragestroke008 Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    litchy74 wrote: »
    Well iits been 4 months must be at the top of their list :confused:

4 months and we have to assume it's a planned feature. Probably to make us all use Arc. I wonder if any Arc users have this bug.
    Time is a funny thing; There is always too much of it. Except when you need it the most, then there is never enough.
  • Options
    nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    4 months and we have to assume it's a planned feature. Probably to make us all use Arc. I wonder if any Arc users have this bug.

Yes I believe they do. Arc wont cure this as the faults in the game client.

I'm now seeing the issues more after about 2 hours of game play. So its getting worse on my new rig.
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I've been using Arc this entire time and I definitely get it. I've tried using the old launcher as well and still got it that way. Arc isn't involved with this. It has to be related to something they did on the back end to the game in S8. I've been playing the game since beta on the exact same rig and never had this before then.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    lan451 wrote: »
    I've been using Arc this entire time and I definitely get it. I've tried using the old launcher as well and still got it that way. Arc isn't involved with this. It has to be related to something they did on the back end to the game in S8. I've been playing the game since beta on the exact same rig and never had this before then.

lan451 has it right, this issue is not tied to a certain PC configuration or a manifacturer and it's not tied to using Arc or not, I can confirm this as well since I have tried.
    They broke something in the game when they launched S8 and it seems they're not capable or willing to fix it.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    eagledracoeagledraco Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    shadowwraith77, thanks. I'm trying out your workaround. Last night after doing a few missions then beaming down to New Rom Command character textures did not load and were completely white.

After fiddling around with Doff Dept Heads the textures loaded. However, when I returned to my log-out spot at KDF Academy the game locked up, yet another problem I'm having since returning to the game after LoR launched.
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    eagledraco wrote: »
    shadowwraith77, thanks. I'm trying out your workaround. Last night after doing a few missions then beaming down to New Rom Command character textures did not load and were completely white.

After fiddling around with Doff Dept Heads the textures loaded. However, when I returned to my log-out spot at KDF Academy the game locked up, yet another problem I'm having since returning to the game after LoR launched.

Aye it is a problem I am facing too currently, from what I can tell it stems from either a memory leakage and/or overdemand from the CPU causing it to freeze.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    crownvic351crownvic351 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I have arc and yes I have the nasty gpu load drop to 0% like others do. Go to video in the options tab and click on troubleshooting at the bottom and u will see a frame rate stabilizer option. Mouse over it and it will say to type in /fpsgraph 1. With out turning the option on type that into the chat window. Now lower right hand corner a graph will start.. Watch all the pretty purple spikes that represent the stalls in the graphic driver.. Turn the option and and it should help a little bit, but wont fix it... I cant do any ground missions or even go to esd with out it stalling every .5 seconds it seems...

Cryptic did in fact admit they screwed it up, but wont admit it directly. I've listened to the email that was sent to a certain person, stating they know what cards they screwed up. The excuse they now give is its a lot of work to go back and fix the issues, windows updates cause it and its our fault for over working our cards that are way more powerful than the game requires.

BITE THE BULLET AND FIX WHAT YOU SCREWED UP. STOP TRYING TO RELEASE NEW THINGS UNTILL YOU FIXED WHAT YOU BROKE! YOU CAN'T COMPLAIN THAT STO IS LOOSING MONEY WHEN YOU BROKE IT KNOW WHAT YOU BROKE AND REFUSE TO FIX IT!:mad::mad::mad:

I personaly think that they gave control over STO to MC. Hammer... Had a great money maker going and in a year he managed to TRIBBLE it all up and go broke..

On a side note hey Black light, and neverwinter run flawlessly on max graphics, so how funny that windows updates and me working my card hard doesn't apply on those games..

P.S. How can I be over working my gpu if its load is at 0%
  • Options
    cpthardcovercpthardcover Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The more I think about this bug the more I become convinced it's a memory issue somewhere.

I just had the White Glow of Doom strike again, and thus time it was even worse than normal; the only thing that actually had a texture was my ship. I quit STO, and discovered that Windows 7 had turned off Aero, and I couldn't turn it back on. Upon further research, I discovered that this happens when Windows decides it's getting too low on memory.

Interestingly, upon questioning my brother, I find that his system, which is 64-bit too my 32 and has a couple GB more RAM than I do (and a graphics card a couple generations newer), has never had this issue.

As much as I'd love to solve the issue myself by upgrading my computer, I can't afford to. And besides which, Cryptic, I've never had an issue paying at max settings. There's obviously something wrong here, and as a lifetime subscriber, someone who's defended you for a while and bought probably more stuff from the C-Store than I really probably should have, I'm begging you: fix this. Or at the very least acknowledge that it needs to be fixed. Because so far all we've gotten is a post that, intentionally or not, felt like it was coming from Baghdad Bob and a vast, ringing silence. And it's becoming harder and harder to justify to myself spending more money on a game that, for all I love it, is impossible to play for less than an hour at a time.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I seem to be crashing a lot of late. And no, I haven't crashed in like 2 years. But since the latest patch, it seems, something is off.

I crashed 3 times, yesterday, in PvE Fleet Actions, with Windows reporting my driver had stopped responding (but recovered). I have a GTX 580, and the latest official drivers.

Crashing isn't fun. Yeah, I know, stating the obvious. But what I mean is, I'm willing to put of with missing body parts on my Embassy boffs and such; but game crashing 3 times a day, that's where I start drawing the line.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    ethoirethoir Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Still no word from the devs on this. Other than a post a little ways back in this thread about it not being reproduceable in-house (which is a poor excuse IMO because we are "in the wild" and they're testing in controlled conditions).

Come on Cryptic, say something. Is it being looked into or are all the hardware configs we put together with our theories not enough to help pin it down?

This can't be a minority case that can be shrugged off by saying "not enough evidence, not enough complaints, your computers must be the problem and not our product". Something broke in the engine and caused a memory leak in the game which in turn causes it to stop loading textures/icons after a certain point is reached.

In a 32-bit OS environment this break limit" is reached faster than in a 64-bit environment. In both environments the symptoms are the same: textures turn white or get very simplified (antiproton beams turn black with white cores for example), objects may pulse white, ground character objects could get really mutilated by missing textures, and so on.

All indications point to the engine failing to load textures properly. This is either because of a memory leak (suspected) or because the new textures you guys put in the game with Season 8 was not properly compressed (possible but not likely). Either way the game isn't loading textures properly for us and its been happening on and off since Season 7, only made worse by Season 8's new stuff.

We've even listed possible workarounds that only work for some of us some of the time. My idea of lowering my video memory limit setting in-game doesn't fix it but it does keep the problem from showing up as quickly as it usually does. I just recently had to try to set the video memory to "auto" just to see if that would do anything different for this issue. I'm pretty much forced to keep my play sessions short because of this engine issue.

Any word at all on whats going on with this issue would be nice as well as answering the question on why this thread was moved to "PC, Network, and Other Technical Issues" when its not a problem with our PCs when so many different configurations and even Macs are having this problem.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    ethoir wrote: »
    Still no word from the devs on this. Other than a post a little ways back in this thread about it not being reproduceable in-house (which is a poor excuse IMO because we are "in the wild" and they're testing in controlled conditions).

Come on Cryptic, say something. Is it being looked into or are all the hardware configs we put together with our theories not enough to help pin it down?

This can't be a minority case that can be shrugged off by saying "not enough evidence, not enough complaints, your computers must be the problem and not our product". Something broke in the engine and caused a memory leak in the game which in turn causes it to stop loading textures/icons after a certain point is reached.

In a 32-bit OS environment this break limit" is reached faster than in a 64-bit environment. In both environments the symptoms are the same: textures turn white or get very simplified (antiproton beams turn black with white cores for example), objects may pulse white, ground character objects could get really mutilated by missing textures, and so on.

All indications point to the engine failing to load textures properly. This is either because of a memory leak (suspected) or because the new textures you guys put in the game with Season 8 was not properly compressed (possible but not likely). Either way the game isn't loading textures properly for us and its been happening on and off since Season 7, only made worse by Season 8's new stuff.

We've even listed possible workarounds that only work for some of us some of the time. My idea of lowering my video memory limit setting in-game doesn't fix it but it does keep the problem from showing up as quickly as it usually does. I just recently had to try to set the video memory to "auto" just to see if that would do anything different for this issue. I'm pretty much forced to keep my play sessions short because of this engine issue.

Any word at all on whats going on with this issue would be nice as well as answering the question on why this thread was moved to "PC, Network, and Other Technical Issues" when its not a problem with our PCs when so many different configurations and even Macs are having this problem.

Moved I believe the correct word is hidden....

• Options
    sakiboysakiboy Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    How to enable aa in this game? Nothing works. Got nvidia 650gtx ti
  • Options
    bradchristopher1bradchristopher1 Member Posts: 307
    edited March 2014
    Aye it is a problem I am facing too currently, from what I can tell it stems from either a memory leakage and/or overdemand from the CPU causing it to freeze.

I too found that if I go into my project/manage window and go to the BOFFs leadership page, if I change one of the assignments sometimes this cleans up the inventory icons missing, but the banks and changing ships pages dont always refresh when all blank. Eventually always forced to log off and launch again to fix the problem.

maybe cryptic is getting tired of these complaints after 4 months? or perhaps they still 'cannot reproduce' the problem. If that is the case, then they are too enept to appreciate what having the franchise bound to this game has meant in terms of its success up til now. Without it, I fear STO would go offline shortly thereafer and pwe/cryptic would have to file for bankruptcy.
  • Options
    the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Still haven't seen a fix for this. It's still happening to me to this day. I've restarted three times today. I'm using an AMD processor with Nvidia card all updates only happens in this game upper midline machine and plenty of memory. It's not happening in other titles that are more graphically demanding than STO like GW2 so there's definitely something on their end about this problem. I've tried all graphics settings on low and it still occurs.
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ethoir wrote: »

It's most likely a graphics card/cpu/ and client issue more than JUST a client issue. If it was only client side then everyone would have the same issue. While the number of people having this issue is more than 10, it's not in the thousands and that is a bit harder to figure out.
    litchy74 wrote: »
    Moved I believe the correct word is hidden....
    If dev's wanted this thread hidden, it'd be hidden ;) It's moved here due to reasons I stated above.
    maybe cryptic is getting tired of these complaints after 4 months? or perhaps they still 'cannot reproduce' the problem. If that is the case, then they are too enept to appreciate what having the franchise bound to this game has meant in terms of its success up til now. Without it, I fear STO would go offline shortly thereafer and pwe/cryptic would have to file for bankruptcy.
    What people have to realize is that there is thousands of different configurations for computers and it's a nightmare to try to figure out what can and cannot work on every single graphics card, cpu, ram, motherboard configuration. If they had any actual update to this issue they would say something, however it's kinda complex if their entire in house team doesn't have this problem, plus a lot of people outside don't. What people have been doing (posting stats and configurations etc) helps narrow it down I'm sure, but it doesn't mean they can just instantly fix the problem (and no, doing a rollback on everything wouldn't help either).

I can understand that it's frustrating, but assuming this thread is here because they want it buried is wrong, that they don't care is wrong. They may not be able to reproduce this problem. It's not because they are inept, but because they don't have the same setup you or I have. But ultimately, this thread is still on the radar and it's not being swept under the rug. There just isn't any updates to be posted.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    ethoirethoir Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    askray wrote: »
    It's most likely a graphics card/cpu/ and client issue more than JUST a client issue. If it was only client side then everyone would have the same issue. While the number of people having this issue is more than 10, it's not in the thousands and that is a bit harder to figure out.

If dev's wanted this thread hidden, it'd be hidden ;) It's moved here due to reasons I stated above.

What people have to realize is that there is thousands of different configurations for computers and it's a nightmare to try to figure out what can and cannot work on every single graphics card, cpu, ram, motherboard configuration. If they had any actual update to this issue they would say something, however it's kinda complex if their entire in house team doesn't have this problem, plus a lot of people outside don't. What people have been doing (posting stats and configurations etc) helps narrow it down I'm sure, but it doesn't mean they can just instantly fix the problem (and no, doing a rollback on everything wouldn't help either).

I can understand that it's frustrating, but assuming this thread is here because they want it buried is wrong, that they don't care is wrong. They may not be able to reproduce this problem. It's not because they are inept, but because they don't have the same setup you or I have. But ultimately, this thread is still on the radar and it's not being swept under the rug. There just isn't any updates to be posted.

Its beyond frustrating. I used to be able to go on all night binges before LoR came out. When it did, the new Romulan ships sometimes showed up white from a distance and some fed ships got a bit whacked as well (texture issues). When that got fixed, I was able to move on and play again for a while though the days of the binges were gone.

Then Season 8 came around and the texture issues reappeared. They were most prominent in "Into the Breech" when the city ship became a bit white pulsing blob and other textures for weapon animations got "simplified". After a time I managed to find a way around it and was okay for a while. I was content to think it was fixed and go on playing as I usually would.

Then we have the Season 8.5 release and the mission "A Step Between Stars". The texture issues came back in force, not just limited to bad texture data for the Dyson ships this time (similar to the LoR ships on their launch) but everything from sector space to weapon animations and map skyboxes to ground characters and environment objects went out of whack. Try as I might I'm still attempting to find a way around this, hoping it gets fixed on Cryptic's end in the near future because I'm running short on ideas of how to fix it. I mean come on now, 3.25 GB of physical memory, a 32-bit OS is what I have as my gaming rig. I have to operate within the confines of 3.25 GB of physical RAM. I used an XFX Radeon HD 6850 with 1 GB of GDDR5 with CCC version 13.9 when Season 8.5 came out and this ugliness started showing up again. Then I swapped to a Sapphire R9 270X with 4GB of GDDR5 and ran that with CCC 13.12. Obviously neither video card or driver version helped which made me think "Hmm, the client has some kind of memory leak. The texture data isn't being processed and loaded properly".

So here I am trying to mess with client settings to see what went wrong and where and I'm not getting much anywhere. As before, the missing texture fiasco is cutting into my desire to play. I want to play, but I can't stand it when the game decides to break and stop loading textures like a lot of other people have posted links to examples of. It is making me close the game and re-launch to get around it and that kills the fun. It makes me burn out faster and shortens my play time further because "why play a broken game when I can go play one that actually works". Usually this is Neverwinter (so far) or StarMade or even Skyrim/Oblivion/Morrowind.

So here I am again, watching this thread waiting for any word that it has been traced down. I still insist that trying to reproduce it in-house won't get them anywhere because those are controlled conditions. Our setups are hardly controlled conditions. I wager if I were to pack up my entire rig and mail it to Cryptic studios and then tell them to play their own game on it (Holodeck) but to NOT change any of the CCC or in-game settings, they'd get somewhere in reproducing this issue and fixing it somehow.

But since I can't send them my entire PC without becoming incapable of gaming for the near future (not that I'd send them my PC anyway because I'd have to be nuts), I can only sit and wait. Besides, they don't make my type of CPU anymore over at AMD. Its all about 6-cores and APUs now. Otherwise I'd give the full and absolute technical spec for my PC build and see if they can mimic it for their "in-house" tests. :p
  • Options
    edited March 2014

So a graphics issue, the game still plays underneath we just can't see what we are playing, on both PC and Mac platforms as stated many times by people posting there specs, is moved from the graphics forum (which covers both PC and Mac) to the PC network issue forum. You also said before you don't know who moved it and you would duplicate this in the Mac forum if possible (but you cant) as well as you kow its cross platform.

Yet you say this wasn't hiding it here, you may have nothing to do with it but someone wants this thread forgotten about.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    th3xr34p3r wrote: »
    Just wanted to let other players who multiple other games and/or other reason get confronted with the same problem to a viable solution.

Just had an issue in STO where the models ingame would have the skin layer z fight or shimmer between no texture (black) and their designated textures, both space and ground (only the ships and the pc/npc's,some slight shimmer with the environment mainly planets).

Now I have diagnosed and narrowed this to an external problem; most notably a memory leak after playing the game spec ops the line and believe its due to this issue I did not pick up till I did a cold restart (fully power off the pc wait 1-5min then start it up)

Edit: After a full reinstall of my system the z-fighting issue on npc's croped up again for a sec, and I think i finally narrowed it down to a setting in AA on the nvidia side..32x 8bit instead of 32x combined when set to enhance 3d application setting in the global profile for the driver config using nvidia inspector.

Re-edit: I have further narrowed (rulled out a memory leak) the issue down to having lighting quality to high and having AA enabled ingame. turning lighting quality to low or turning AA off entirely fixes the issue.

(solution to resolve the issue) edit the 3rd: I think I have this resolved now. I went in to the game install folder > sto > live > cache (deleted all files there) > piggs (deleted all files there) and re-patched. Also as of this edit am running the 310.90 whql drivers from nvidia.
    NOTE: Turing Off Frame Stabilizer and Auto-stabilize framerate also causes the flicker, to eliviate it further keep both options ON.

I can officially state now once for all i have fixed the shimmer/z-fighting bug with the Textures, AA and Lighting on npc's and characters in gen.

It's nearly 1am and I've got work at 7 am so will try this after work, report back this evening.
    th3xr34p3r wrote: »
    Just wanted to let other players who multiple other games and/or other reason get confronted with the same problem to a viable solution.

Just had an issue in STO where the models ingame would have the skin layer z fight or shimmer between no texture (black) and their designated textures, both space and ground (only the ships and the pc/npc's,some slight shimmer with the environment mainly planets).

Now I have diagnosed and narrowed this to an external problem; most notably a memory leak after playing the game spec ops the line and believe its due to this issue I did not pick up till I did a cold restart (fully power off the pc wait 1-5min then start it up)

Edit: After a full reinstall of my system the z-fighting issue on npc's croped up again for a sec, and I think i finally narrowed it down to a setting in AA on the nvidia side..32x 8bit instead of 32x combined when set to enhance 3d application setting in the global profile for the driver config using nvidia inspector.

Re-edit: I have further narrowed (rulled out a memory leak) the issue down to having lighting quality to high and having AA enabled ingame. turning lighting quality to low or turning AA off entirely fixes the issue.

(solution to resolve the issue) edit the 3rd: I think I have this resolved now. I went in to the game install folder > sto > live > cache (deleted all files there) > piggs (deleted all files there) and re-patched. Also as of this edit am running the 310.90 whql drivers from nvidia.
    NOTE: Turing Off Frame Stabilizer and Auto-stabilize framerate also causes the flicker, to eliviate it further keep both options ON.

I can officially state now once for all i have fixed the shimmer/z-fighting bug with the Textures, AA and Lighting on npc's and characters in gen.

• Options
    seniorkafeiseniorkafei Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Hi Ray, I know you're just trying to provide another perspective on the situation here, and I do appreciate that, but... a significant number of forum-goers are having this problem, and we're just a small sampling of the community at large. This would lead me to believe that there are quite a few other people out there who do not use the forums that are also affected by this problem.

I can't speak for everyone here, but I can say that I'm not trying to be uncivil here. This is a major problem, and even if it meant buying a rig with the exact specifications that someone posted, they should have been able to produce something by now. Putting that aside, all we really want is some kind of reassurance. We want to play this game, and we want to enjoy ourselves; it's not exactly my idea of fun to come here and constantly check this thread for updates when I could instead just be playing the game.

Saying this with no hard feelings or ulterior motives towards the dev team, I would just like confirmation that the issue indeed is something that is being looked at, and worked on. It would make me feel like there is some hope, at least; some reason to keep up with the game. I can't play it as it is right now. I can't enjoy the content that the devs work so hard to create.

And that's all I want to do.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I've tried the proposed fix posted above, sorry guys it doesn't work, we are still at restarting the client as the only reliable way of temporally curing the problem.:(

• Options
    dragonseye1138dragonseye1138 Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I tried the above fix and while it didn't solve the problem, it did drastically reduce it. With the "fix" in place, I can play for upwards of 6 or 7 hours before things start to deteriorate if I stick to just one character. Switching characters without exiting the game seems to accelerate the problem.

And on the issue of whether or nor Cryptic cares; they don't even seem to be capable of telling us that they acknowledge the existence of the problem in the first place. That sends exactly the wrong message to the playerbase. Regardless of whether or not they actually care about the health of the game, Cryptic seems unable or unwilling to talk to the players at all, so the logical assumption is that they actually do not care, because they have our money so any complaints are irrelevant.

Furthermore, as I posted in a different thread, there does not seem to be any quality control on Cryptic's end. Taking ten minutes to double-check the code would prevent many of the bugs that have plagued STO since its launch four years ago. Other times Cryptic seems completely unaware of certain until they suddenly decide to fix them more than a a year after they first appeared. Example: the Adapted MACO rifle has a bug where the borg cannot adapt to it. This bug first appeared with the launch of season 7 and went unnoticed until last week. Now they decide to fix it. But I digress.

The bottom line as I see it, is that all we really want (aside from a permanent solution to the current issue), is an acknowledgement from Cryptic that they know about the problem and are continuing to work on it, and a little basic quality control to prevent more such issues. Thus far, neither of these things has been displayed.
    Q is a Magical Girl.