Install Arc
Options

Small forum art design change [Feb. 13, 2014] *Changes complete, see post #208*

Comments

• Options
    smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    syberghost wrote: »
    The changes make it hard to moderate, too.

This one line speaks volumes...
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    syberghost wrote: »
    The changes make it hard to moderate, too.
    smeeinn1t wrote: »
    This one line speaks volumes...

Indeed it does.

When even the "staff" says the changes are bad, chances are, it's BAD!

Take note Cryptic! (if you actually "add this stuff to your list of feedback")
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    druhin wrote: »
    Indeed it does.

When even the "staff" says the changes are bad, chances are, it's BAD!

Take note Cryptic! (if you actually "add this stuff to your list of feedback")

Syberghost, I believe, is an unpaid community volunteer. I couldn't do what he does without Eradicator's skin. The site would damage my eyesight.

If reading forums is not pleasant, imagine what modding one is like.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Glad it helped :)

Styler theme updated
    Go to styler link and click update style to get these alterations

- Fixed Chrome support for some elements.
    - Replaced forum button images with nicer ones from Blacklight forums

Chrome should now properly show everything correctly. I haven't extensively tested it though so if you spot anything different between FF and Chrome, let me know.

Forum buttons now look A LOT nicer. No more white jaggies and darker more blue, matches style pretty well. Images hosted on PWE servers, so should be ok for time being unless blacklight forums change.

Those buttons look so good now! :eek: I didn't even think it possible anymore.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2014
    toiva wrote: »
    Those buttons look so good now! :eek: I didn't even think it possible anymore.

They really do eh! Shocked those never got replaced on the official update.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Yeah seriously. It's literally just plug and play; drop in replacement icons in the correct folder on their server and it works. Apparently the small amount of effort isn't a priority for them.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Yeah seriously. It's literally just plug and play; drop in replacement icons in the correct folder on their server and it works. Apparently the small amount of effort isn't a priority for them.

They would have to make sure the file names are the same as the defaults in the css style. That is a lot of hard work for a web development team, let me tell you.

Yeah, that was sarcasm.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2014

I know eh. I've changed the buttons often enough on my own forums to know that it doesn't take five minutes (provided you know the names), they don't even have as many buttons as we do on our site so really there is no excuse haha.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    18 buttons I altered in my style. All named exactly the same on Blacklight. For them to replace the buttons it is literally a copy paste job. lol
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    18 buttons I altered in my style. All named exactly the same on Blacklight. For them to replace the buttons it is literally a copy paste job. lol

True, Cryptic however, require a full team. ;)
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    ransom2375ransom2375 Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Styler theme updated
    Go to styler link and click update style to get these alterations

Thank you eradicator84, for your button update (more fitting), and your continued work to improve the forum style. :)

The forum & website change (by PWE) reminds me a bit about the Foundry and many other game related decisions (by Cryptic). Ignored for a long time. Then suddenly without warning changes are implemented. They ask for feedback. Feedback is given, but pretty much not acknowledged. Even small not very time consuming (quality of life) improvements which could be done are either ignored (or on a list). In the end people start helping each other the best they can to keep things going.

'Great' company policy guys.

But what did i know. I guess with this post, i am part of the 'loud always complaining forum minority' now ...
    Star Trek Online: Foundry 02.12.2010 - 11.04.2019
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    ransom2375 wrote: »
    But what did i know. I guess with this post, i am part of the 'loud always complaining forum minority' now ...

The thing about that is, these are the forums we're talking about; forum users are 100% of forum users. Tautology is tautological. :)
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    True, Cryptic however, require a full team. ;)

Are you implying there's a "How many Cryptics does it take to copy and paste forum buttons?" joke in there somewhere?

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Are you implying there's a "How many Cryptics does it take to copy and paste forum buttons?" joke in there somewhere?

rofl

/10char
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • Options
    thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Looks better but it feels a little disconnected from arcgames.com
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
  • Options
    druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Given how the "new" theme looks as opposed to Eradicator's superior theme, i'd like it as disconnected as possible from arcgames.com, thank you very much.
  • Options
    gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited February 2014

and that's a bad thing?
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Thank God and so it should be
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Honestly, white text on a dark background isn't friendly to people with night blindness or astigmatism. The text color makes ghosts on top of it so, it becomes a real eye strain in a short amount of time.

At the very least give users who login the option to change background and text color.
    Stylish, I think, supports multiple options in the one style. So I might be able to include different colour options the user can then choose from from the one style.
    What colours would you prefer to see for background and text? Give me some rgb/hex colour values if you want.
    Might not look as pretty as the primary theme, but if it helps you out, maybe I can do something for you.
    the reply box is stark contrast, white background and black text. It's like being asleep and waking up to someone shining a bright light in your eyes.
    In my theme I actually dulled the reply boxes just a fraction, so they aren't pure white, for exactly that reason. I originally had near on grey, but thought it might be too hard to see the text in them, so made it more white, but not pure white.

Should I attempt a white text on black background text box? Guys?
    You have it the wrong way around. Arcgames.com is disconnected from my (or the old) sto forum style ;)
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Stylish, I think, supports multiple options in the one style. So I might be able to include different colour options the user can then choose from from the one style.
    What colours would you prefer to see for background and text? Give me some rgb/hex colour values if you want.
    Might not look as pretty as the primary theme, but if it helps you out, maybe I can do something for you.

In my theme I actually dulled the reply boxes just a fraction, so they aren't pure white, for exactly that reason. I originally had near on grey, but thought it might be too hard to see the text in them, so made it more white, but not pure white.

Should I attempt a white text on black background text box? Guys?

As far as I am concerned, the forum is now very close to being perfect. Definitely the best looking I've ever known it. So no more changes needed for me.

But I guess someone might appreciate light backgrounds with black text, someone not visiting the forums primarily by night like me. :P
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I think that the forums should be attached to Arcgames.com. It'll make things easier and more efficient.
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
  • Options
    senselockesenselocke Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I think that the forums should be attached to Arcgames.com. It'll make things easier and more efficient.

You're really committed to this long-troll, aren't you? :)
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    senselocke wrote: »
    You're really committed to this long-troll, aren't you? :)

I believe he is a PWE employee
    NO TO ARC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    robeasom wrote: »
    I believe he is a PWE employee

I agree with that thought. I just wish the forums had a 'slap' button.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I agree with that thought. I just wish the forums had a 'slap' button.

I would gladly spend 5000 zen for that option
    NO TO ARC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Quick notification regarding my theme. Buttons are missing!
    The buttons are pulled from the Black Light forums
    http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/blacklight-retribution
    Which if you click on forum over there appears to be currently under maintenance. Hence why your browser can't grab them.

You can edit my theme by commenting out the sections
    /* comment out like this */
    the parts that start with
    img[src*=
    or
    input[src*=
    That'll restore the default forum buttons.

I use the theme daily and will keep an eye on it. If blacklight comes back up but with altered looks the buttons might be gone or look worse. Just have to wait and see I guess.
    I'll revert the theme back to default buttons if it's necessary. Just have to wait and see.
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    robeasom wrote: »
    I would gladly spend 5000 zen for that option

Sometimes a downvote feels like a real slap in the face. :D
  • Options
    grazyc2#7847 grazyc2 Member Posts: 1,988 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I saw the new grey blandness today, and my eyes started to glaze over. Harder to read with the new 2014 forum design.

So, went about altering it back to the 2013 look, and fixed some things that have been annoying me for a long time.

Some screenshots with notes on changes:
    Image 1
    Image 2
    Image 3
    Image 4
    Image 5
    Image 6
    Forgive the compression, site had size limits

How do you get this happening in your browser?
    Install the Stylish addon for Firefox (theme was built with this) or Chrome.

Then, go HERE, and install the theme I've made.

Then simply start using the forums!
    Can be enabled/disabled at will via the addon.

As long as the logo and background images remain available via their CDN (no reason it shouldn't), it'll work just fine.

Hope people find this useful.

EDIT:
    List of updates done so far

- Added left and right border lines back to posts
    - Hacky fixed posts left/right divider gap that shows if someone has a short signature
    - Darkened quick edit, quick reply and advanced reply text input areas
    - Drop down menus up top (search, go to page, search this thread etc) darkened to match theme
    - Advanced reply height now even bigger than quick reply by default
    - Fixed reply text boxes to that can now be extended height wise once again. Width has been set to a fixed width.
    - Advanced search background darkened
    - Avatars now centre correctly horizontally, good for users like dalolorn with thinner pictures
    - Banner ad up top shrunk down to 0 pixels so you cant see it any more
    - Made the login link easier to see and click on
    - Removed blanket bolding of all thread topics in sub-forum lists, so threads you've read are no longer bolded as well (unread = bold still)
    - 'New Notifications' number (when greater than 0) will now turn red, so it's obvious when you have unread.
    - Fixed drop down menus (near top of forum) link colours so they're easier to read
    - Fixed 'Your Control Panel' links so they don't use the new huge red 'Login' style. Made link areas bigger for easier clicking
    - Post # link now blue instead of white

Agreed son
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    That gray is really ugly, and it even looks bad with ARC.