Install Arc
Options

Missing Textures/Icons in season 8 *FIX INCOMING See post 608 page 61*

Comments

• Options
    ethoirethoir Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    mjarbar wrote: »
    I tried to do the same but unfortunatlly didn't work for me, worth a try though:(

It won't work for everyone and I still don't trust it. I had it hiccup today when the Character Select screen was pulling the "missing textures" routine. I noticed two things about it when it happened.

One: The textures weren't all white, some of them were blue-white or black or even some odd shade of purple/pink so it was simplifying them ridiculously.

Two: My system memory was running near its maximum (76% of 3.25 GB used) and I had about 4 browser tabs using about 200 MB of memory each according to ProcessXP (its an alternative to Windows' own Task Manager).

Closing a few of the memory hogging browser tabs and then picking a character helped, since jumping back into the game afterward somehow alleviated the problem and textures loaded normally again. But then I'm stuck in a 32-bit windows environment so I don't have the head room most players get with their 64-bit systems.
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Warped into a fleet alert while I was farming fleet marks.

Blinding white space.

Exited game.

Bleh.

C'mon Cryptic, this is way, way out of hand. For real.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    ragestroke008ragestroke008 Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    What's funny is that they still refuse to acknowledge this bug's existence.
    Time is a funny thing; There is always too much of it. Except when you need it the most, then there is never enough.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    What's funny is that they still refuse to acknowledge this bug's existence.

The most they said of any value is "We can't reproduce it in-house". They offered workarounds but the fact is they don't work for everyone.

My reaction to their "can't repro in-house" is to not try to reproduce it in-house. Try to see if it can happen on their home PC, a friend's PC, and so on. "In-house" is usually controlled hardware environments. They should try to get at rigs similar to the list we provided and test it on those. Or add those configurations to their in-house list.
  • Options
    nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well I had another reply from PWE support....

Edited to comply with forum rules.

Baiscally PWE support say they use the forums themselves to get solutions to issues.....Whaaaaaat? So support is ALSO waiting for results on the forum. So come on Cryptic! Even your own support is waiting for an update!!! :mad:

Do we have to start a Twitter campaign about this??

GIVE US SOME FEEDBACK!!!!!!
    :mad:
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Ahem! Well I never. Could this issue be creeping out to other services I wonder?

I had cause to try the gateway at lunchtime, and on entering the personnel files and clicking on Bridge Officers, what did I get? Look familiar anyone?

This was using Firefox from my Works workstation!
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    admiralfrayaadmiralfraya Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    So I told PWE what I said on here about not having the issue since installing my new OS and this was the reply;

Hello

Thank you for getting back to us!
    We apologize for the inconvenience.
    Please be advised that this has been forwarded to the development team though we still have no updates regarding this matter.

Please keep an eye on our official website and forum for updates regarding this issue.
    Thank you for your patience and consideration.

Perfect World Support

I also mentioned how unhappy we are with the information black out cryptic has employed but it seems clear they wont be doing anything about that. I was going to try my Idea of running my old OS on another drive but couldn't find a spare and since I'm not getting this problem anymore I don't know what else I can do so unless it happens after todays maintenance this will probably be my last post. I hope you guys get this worked out.

Also to the guy who quoted my last post and made a comment, That was just a little joke we came up with that I thought I'd share. You seemed to have taken that way to literally.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    First of all - admiralfraya and nyxadrill, I highly recomend you to edit your replies to exclude the correspondence you had with the support as this is not allowed on the forum. I get that you guys are probably royally pissed by now, so am I - but being hit with the banhammer wouln't do any good.
    Just friendly advice, I'd love to be able to post what they wrote to me when they lost my sub last year - it's hillarious, but we're not allowed to.
    nyxadrill wrote: »
    Do we have to start a Twitter campaign about this??

As stupid as it sounds, I'm starting to believe that's the only way to get anykind of info through around here.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    First of all - admiralfraya and nyxadrill, I highly recomend you to edit your replies to exclude the correspondence you had with the support as this is not allowed on the forum. I get that you guys are probably royally pissed by now, so am I - but being hit with the banhammer wouln't do any good.
    Just friendly advice, I'd love to be able to post what they wrote to me when they lost my sub last year - it's hillarious, but we're not allowed to.

As stupid as it sounds, I'm starting to believe that's the only way to get anykind of info through around here.

Good point, duly noted and post edited :)
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    shpoks wrote: »

I tried poking CaptainSmirk on twitter and pointing to this thread now and then but it seems to be ignored. :/ We really need a dev to come back in here and at least tell us something about what they are doing about it. Even saying "we're still investigating this issue" would be nice at this point.
  • Options
    starmuttstarmutt Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I was hoping we may have had a response or update/patch by now but I haven't even seen a blog saying their looking into these issues. It’s just really weird that it started AFTER the Season 8 launch. Before that graphically everything was fine, I never had the setting up full whack but still pretty good.

The annoying thing is that it seems to occur randomly after a few instance changes between ground and space.
    Completely breaking up the flow having to restart the game every 15mins or so :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    McCoy: In this galaxy, there's a mathematical probability of three million Earth-type planets. And in all of the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that... and perhaps more, only one of each of us.
  • Options
    sinusiridumsinusiridum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    They just don't bother. They say it's hard to replicate, and that's it, nothing more.
    It has been a few months now and I'm tired of this. I've spent all the anniversary time just doing the event, nothing more, because this issue takes all the motivation to keep playing.
    ###################
  • Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Hi Cryptic, just thought id stop by this thread for the I dunno, fourth month in a row to let you know... yep its still doing it.

*shakes head*
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This does not belong in network issues. Its not a network issue, it never was, never has been.

It started on the DAY of season 8.

They changed something in the order of how graphic overlays are called in the loading phase of the player environment, whether it be a load from the server telling which graphics go on what mesh, or a command telling our machines where to look for the textures required.

It can happen anywhere from 10 minutes to three hours after youve been playing, but it is absolutely inevitable to those it affects. Even some smug people who said they never had the problem have started experiencing it.

My PC NEVER ONCE HAD THIS ISSUE prior to that patch.

That is where you look Cryptic. You broke something fundamental when you launched season 8 in the way we call client side layering of graphics. You need to either reverse that or do something to call those texture overlays a second time somewhere in the building phase of the player environment.

One thing I have noticed, it is always ALWAYS noticeable first at distance (flickering ships, wonky looking sector/map objects) then its iinventory cons, doff pictures, tray icons and finally even your own captain and every player around you starts looking like they are wearing neon green/red/white garbage bags for outfits or ship skins.

My gut is telling me that you have told the client to disk cache these final textures and there is nothing telling the client to call them out of cache if system memory has reached a high point (especially under heavy game load).

This would also gel with what used to happen to me before season 8 (which no longer happens, imagine that) my client would full on crash to desktop with an error that said something to the affect of "out of memory for texture xyzblahblah"

More and more I am beginning to agree with my peers here, it is a rampant memory leak, youre caching EVERYTHING to disk, and when our allocation reaches a limit, things just start not loading anymore because they cant (theres no physical RAM left, so nowhere for the cached data to even go).

Have the client order things released from memory, that is the only way youre going to fix this, so long as we are continuously caching every map we load.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • Options
    litchy74litchy74 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Ohh look a graphics issue thread still in the graphics section, better move/hide it in the PC network section so no one knows about it.........

BTW still getting the problem, stupid thing to ask any news:rolleyes:
    Where ever you go, there you are.......

Join The Space Invaders,..... Federation and KDF fleets.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    This does not belong in network issues. Its not a network issue, it never was, never has been.

They changed something in the order of how graphic overlays are called in the loading phase of the player environment, whether it be a load from the server telling which graphics go on what mesh, or a command telling our machines where to look for the textures required.

It can happen anywhere from 10 minutes to three hours after youve been playing, but it is absolutely inevitable to those it affects. Even some smug people who said they never had the problem have started experiencing it.

That is where you look Cryptic. You broke something fundamental when you launched season 8 in the way we call client side layering of graphics. You need to either reverse that or do something to call those texture overlays a second time somewhere in the building phase of the player environment.

One thing I have noticed, it is always ALWAYS noticeable first at distance (flickering ships, wonky looking sector/map objects) then its iinventory cons, doff pictures, tray icons and finally even your own captain and every player around you starts looking like they are wearing neon green/red/white garbage bags for outfits or ship skins.

My gut is telling me that you have told the client to disk cache these final textures and there is nothing telling the client to call them out of cache if system memory has reached a high point (especially under heavy game load).

This would also gel with what used to happen to me before season 8 (which no longer happens, imagine that) my client would full on crash to desktop with an error that said something to the affect of "out of memory for texture xyzblahblah"

More and more I am beginning to agree with my peers here, it is a rampant memory leak, youre caching EVERYTHING to disk, and when our allocation reaches a limit, things just start not loading anymore because they cant (theres no physical RAM left, so nowhere for the cached data to even go).

Have the client order things released from memory, that is the only way youre going to fix this, so long as we are continuously caching every map we load.

VERY much THIS. Very VERY much!

And to add credence to this 64 bit machines, be they Win 7 or 8.x, Have a longer instance before this fault appears. 64 bit machines can handle more memory and so the symptoms take longer to appear . BUT APPEAR THEY DO! :mad:

However, yet again, I will politely, and respectfully, ask if we could have some feed back on this please?
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    djredhawkedjredhawke Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014

This!
    Honor this guy thx.
    Why aren't you employed yet?
  • Options
    artemisa0kartemisa0k Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So I tried the just logging out and logging back in and it seems to work some of the time but most of the time I still need to completely exit the game and start it again to fix.

I also noticed the other day when I was trying to fix it in the in-game video setting is when the glitch raised its ugly head for some reason the MXAA or whatever anti-aliasing quality setting ie. x2, x4, x8 which I typically have set at x4 switched for some reason to "UNTRANSLATED" not sure if this could be a cause or not.

I had this crop up the other day when I zoned in to a Elite Crystaline Catastrophe yesterday and rather than drop the match figured hell with it I will try my best, managed to target the entity and started fighting. Needless to say I died pretty quick however the death corrected the problem and I was able to continue the fight problem free.

Tried the lowering available video memory down to 728mb and it seems to increase the chances of the problem auto-correcting it's self if you wait around for a bit or zone a few times however it also seems to make it happen more quickly. Interestingly enough this also seems to have fixed/decreased the likelihood of the problem I was having with the loading screen not properly vanishing when zoning (pretty much I would get a infinite loading screen every now and then however the zone had indeed loaded and allowed me to mouse over people and have the mouse icon change accordingly) the lowering of vid memory seems to have corrected or lessened it considerably if anyone else is having similar problem.
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    A temporary fix I have found is when I go to the doff mission selection screen, and click on the engineering or operations specific doff listings it will clean up the problem.

Again this doesn't always work, but does sometimes temporarily resolve the issue for a longer period of time before it to will not resolve it.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    internetonsetaddinternetonsetadd Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Not sure, but I think it's gotten worse since I first posted in this thread months ago, but that may be because I'm utilizing more of my alts more frequently. It seems to happen three to five times an hour these days: http://i.imgur.com/FSyv79Z.jpg

As others have mentioned, switching characters sometimes clears it up, but things usually degrade again rapidly.

What's a nuisance in First City becomes pretty game-breaking in an STF. Can't see your abilities, can't see the shields/hull of your teammates, map is obscured by a kaleidoscopic mess of blindingly bright shapes.

Not much I can do on my end. My PC is several years old and as up-to-date as it can be; AMD isn't doing much in the way of updates for the HD4850 anymore. I suppose I might solve my own problem when it comes time to build a new machine. Either that or ride the issue out until STO's end of life, along with all the other unreplicables.
  • Options
    ragestroke008ragestroke008 Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    From my own personal experiences, I believe it is a memory management issue.

- On my 3ghz quad core, 4gb RAM, hd6970 system, I get the bug after a couple of hours.

- On my i7, 32gb RAM, 680m system, I have yet to experience it.

With each seasonal update they add and tweak meshes and textures, now while it may make the game look prettier, it also means the system requirements change. The stats listed on the web site may actually be no longer applicable.

So lets try and nail this down. list your system specs and we'll see if we can lockdown where this bug seems to pop up from.
    Time is a funny thing; There is always too much of it. Except when you need it the most, then there is never enough.
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Has it been 4 months now? Ready to go another 4? Because you know it's going to happen.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    irwin109irwin109 Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    From my own personal experiences, I believe it is a memory management issue.

- On my 3ghz quad core, 4gb RAM, hd6970 system, I get the bug after a couple of hours.

- On my i7, 32gb RAM, 680m system, I have yet to experience it.

With each seasonal update they add and tweak meshes and textures, now while it may make the game look prettier, it also means the system requirements change. The stats listed on the web site may actually be no longer applicable.

So lets try and nail this down. list your system specs and we'll see if we can lockdown where this bug seems to pop up from.

Well mine is far worse than your first spec', unfortunately I've not got the money to upgrade at the moment. But it was something brought in with Season 8, before that I never had a problem.
    lan451 wrote: »
    Has it been 4 months now? Ready to go another 4? Because you know it's going to happen.

I hope not!
    IrwinSig-1.jpg

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan
  • Options
    litchy74litchy74 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Still getting this and still no word from any dev on a update.

It's been 4 yes 4 months since this bug was introduced with season 8. Are you telling me you have nothing to say on this bug even if its we aren't fixing it, just say something.....:mad:
    Where ever you go, there you are.......

Join The Space Invaders,..... Federation and KDF fleets.
  • Options
    gigglesandendaregigglesandendare Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    MBP 13" uni i7 64 gig ram 4 gig dedicated vram

went into a system that was pure white... i had a chuckle, and did the mission... it was a tad harder in white but still playable. then went to a star base and noticed a few ships missing their text's... chuckled harder, took a screenshot, and submitted a bug report... from reading the thread, it's not going to get far.. oh well ... figured i'd chime in too
  • Options
    sinusiridumsinusiridum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    litchy74 wrote: »
    Still getting this and still no word from any dev on a update.

It's been 4 yes 4 months since this bug was introduced with season 8. Are you telling me you have nothing to say on this bug even if its we aren't fixing it, just say something.....:mad:

They said.
    That it's hard to replicate and they're too lazy to do anything about it.

I consider this a game breaking bug, but apparently, they do not :rolleyes:
    ###################
  • Options
    bradchristopher1bradchristopher1 Member Posts: 307
    edited March 2014
    They said.
    That it's hard to replicate and they're too lazy to do anything about it.

I consider this a game breaking bug, but apparently, they do not :rolleyes:

Anyone see it since today's "maintenance"? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    internetonsetaddinternetonsetadd Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So this was fun: http://imgur.com/5dgfQkO

I'm thinking of starting an album, which I could fill up with 15-20 beautiful shots like this a day. Maybe that'll help get the point across. Season 8 broke something.
  • Options
    deikeddeiked Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    hmm, at least you can play
    What do you mean by this? When I try to log in I get this blank black screen with music playing in the background instead of my character selection screen.
  • Options
    dragonseye1138dragonseye1138 Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So this was fun: http://imgur.com/5dgfQkO

I'm thinking of starting an album, which I could fill up with 15-20 beautiful shots like this a day. Maybe that'll help get the point across. Season 8 broke something.

Wow. And I thought I had it bad...

I've never seen the missing textures occur in an instance; only on public maps and sector space. I also have this sneaking suspicion that if I downgraded back to my old 6850 card the problem would resolve itself since it began for me right after i set up my 7870, bit i really don't want to perform surgery on the computer to fix a software problem.
    Q is a Magical Girl.