test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Small forum art design change [Feb. 13, 2014] *Changes complete, see post #208*

Comments

• kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I want to post, but it's hard to look at it for long periods of time. Plz fix. :(

There is a firefox add-on and a skin that fixes everything. You can find many links to it in the threads in Galactic News Network. I recommend it.

Edit: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=15156361&postcount=301

There is a more updated stylesheet in the last pages of that thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »
    There is a firefox add-on and a skin that fixes everything.

Also available for and works fine with Chrome. Join the Rebellion, down with Darph PWE. :cool:
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Also available for and works fine with Chrome. Join the Rebellion, down with Darph PWE. :cool:

How do I do this.
    edited February 2014
    How do I do this.

The link in kirksplat's post, above, leads to full instructions and links to set the whole thing up. Childishly easy, took me about 4 mouse clicks and boom- no more grayscale.
    edited February 2014
    The link in kirksplat's post, above, leads to full instructions and links to set the whole thing up. Childishly easy, took me about 4 mouse clicks and boom- no more grayscale.

Let's hope this works. Mine eyes they burn.
  • admiralthorr360admiralthorr360 Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It's the Dark Ages... on the internet.... PWE's idea of 'synergy' is to assimilate every game into a Tactical Cube of Drones... ship them off to an O-Type-Star and watch the Antimatter waste combust into a beautiful explosive wave-front the name of this new cube... "ARC Games"

"Like it or not here we come... tag you're it!" I don't mind arc but... I wish it would be less choppy...
    edited February 2014
    Sweet Mary Mother Magdalene. This Looks So Much Better Already.
    edited February 2014

Welcome to The Rebellion. :D
  • eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Glad it helped :)

Styler theme updated
    Go to styler link and click update style to get these alterations

- Fixed Chrome support for some elements.
    - Replaced forum button images with nicer ones from Blacklight forums

Chrome should now properly show everything correctly. I haven't extensively tested it though so if you spot anything different between FF and Chrome, let me know.

Forum buttons now look A LOT nicer. No more white jaggies and darker more blue, matches style pretty well. Images hosted on PWE servers, so should be ok for time being unless blacklight forums change.
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hey nice going on the forum buttons! So input[src was the key.

-edit- uh oh, wait something borked in the full editor and quick reply at the bottom of the thread. It's stretching away and hiding some interface elements like emoticons.

http://i.imgur.com/uIWnKXI.jpg

Also avatar alignment.
    http://i.imgur.com/TWAXZXO.jpg

Firefox26

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
    edited February 2014
    uh oh, wait something borked in the full editor and quick reply at the bottom of the thread.

Firefox26

I'm definitely not seeing that or able to reproduce it.
    Firefox is my browser so would definitely fix anything out of the ordinary like those.

Can you clear cache, delete/reinstall style? Update to FF 27?
    AFMJGUR.jpg
    edited February 2014
    Huh, it went away on its own. Maybe it was the cache. That sure was interesting.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • senselockesenselocke Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I saw the new grey blandness today, and my eyes started to glaze over. Harder to read with the new 2014 forum design.

So, went about altering it back to the 2013 look, and fixed some things that have been annoying me for a long time.

-snip-

THANK YOU!

I was gonna fire up US myself and code it, but it was gonna take awhile. You saved me the work, and probably did a much better job.:P

Thank you so much!!
    edited February 2014

Wow. For those buttons being such a small detail, these forums never looked so good.

PWE/Cryptic/ARC/whoever, take a lesson. Load up Stylist, look at what we the Rebellion are seeing, and learn.
  • druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    As I commented in PM to eradicator, PWE/Cryptic should take a note from his "theme", and adopt the stylesheet as the official one. Cause currently the official one is just too friggin hard on the eyes. Eradictor's style will be the style of choice for me until PWE/Cryptic wise's up.
    edited February 2014
    Yeah I won't be turning this custom theme off any time soon (read: ever) unless it or something very close to it gets adopted officially.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    edited February 2014
    We've got to be vigilant about promoting the theme, or the forums will become a wasteland. Without the theme, it would not be worth it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The changes make it hard to moderate, too.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    syberghost wrote: »

...that's bad.
  • smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User
    edited February 2014

This one line speaks volumes...
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    smeeinn1t wrote: »
    This one line speaks volumes...

Indeed it does.

When even the "staff" says the changes are bad, chances are, it's BAD!

Take note Cryptic! (if you actually "add this stuff to your list of feedback")
    edited February 2014
    druhin wrote: »
    Indeed it does.

When even the "staff" says the changes are bad, chances are, it's BAD!

Take note Cryptic! (if you actually "add this stuff to your list of feedback")

Syberghost, I believe, is an unpaid community volunteer. I couldn't do what he does without Eradicator's skin. The site would damage my eyesight.

If reading forums is not pleasant, imagine what modding one is like.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Glad it helped :)

Styler theme updated

Chrome should now properly show everything correctly. I haven't extensively tested it though so if you spot anything different between FF and Chrome, let me know.

Forum buttons now look A LOT nicer. No more white jaggies and darker more blue, matches style pretty well. Images hosted on PWE servers, so should be ok for time being unless blacklight forums change.

Those buttons look so good now! :eek: I didn't even think it possible anymore.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2014
    toiva wrote: »
    Those buttons look so good now! :eek: I didn't even think it possible anymore.

They really do eh! Shocked those never got replaced on the official update.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
    edited February 2014
    Yeah seriously. It's literally just plug and play; drop in replacement icons in the correct folder on their server and it works. Apparently the small amount of effort isn't a priority for them.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    edited February 2014
    Yeah seriously. It's literally just plug and play; drop in replacement icons in the correct folder on their server and it works. Apparently the small amount of effort isn't a priority for them.

They would have to make sure the file names are the same as the defaults in the css style. That is a lot of hard work for a web development team, let me tell you.

Yeah, that was sarcasm.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2014

I know eh. I've changed the buttons often enough on my own forums to know that it doesn't take five minutes (provided you know the names), they don't even have as many buttons as we do on our site so really there is no excuse haha.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
    edited February 2014
    18 buttons I altered in my style. All named exactly the same on Blacklight. For them to replace the buttons it is literally a copy paste job. lol
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    18 buttons I altered in my style. All named exactly the same on Blacklight. For them to replace the buttons it is literally a copy paste job. lol

True, Cryptic however, require a full team. ;)
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• ransom2375ransom2375 Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Styler theme updated

Thank you eradicator84, for your button update (more fitting), and your continued work to improve the forum style. :)

The forum & website change (by PWE) reminds me a bit about the Foundry and many other game related decisions (by Cryptic). Ignored for a long time. Then suddenly without warning changes are implemented. They ask for feedback. Feedback is given, but pretty much not acknowledged. Even small not very time consuming (quality of life) improvements which could be done are either ignored (or on a list). In the end people start helping each other the best they can to keep things going.

'Great' company policy guys.

But what did i know. I guess with this post, i am part of the 'loud always complaining forum minority' now ...
    Star Trek Online: Foundry 02.12.2010 - 11.04.2019