Install Arc
Options

Small forum art design change [Feb. 13, 2014] *Changes complete, see post #208*

Comments

• Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    nulonu wrote: »
    It's visually unappealing compared to how it was but if people with sight problems are seeing it better then it's worth it.

The only thing this person with sight problems is seeing better is Eradicator84's plugin-enabled style override. Cryptic's redesign isn't the solution, but the problem in need of a solution.
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Must be my useless hunk of silicon--I mean, computer--then.

Maybe its all the snow in your area
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Maybe its all the snow in your area

Heh, I'm still snowed in.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    had a second temp power cut, first on wed and one yesterday, whoever runs the power grid in the uk is not doing their jobs but then again im not surprised by that. anyways, it saves me from a few more hours of staring at that grey forum board, so there is that.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It's rather sad that we've had to turn to a member of the community to return the forum from being an eyesore back to a useable state, thank you eradicator84. We all know the axioms that change is the only constant in life and change is a good thing, but in this case this forum change was most definitely not an improvement, it is bland and uninspired and if this is what we can come to expect from PWE it does not bode well for the future.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Heh, I'm still snowed in.

Make yourself a few warm thoughts :o
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'm actually liking parts of this redesign, but there could be better contrast on some of the colors. Objectively I think the old style was worse, although I did find some things easier to read on it, and I think the old background was much better.

IMO, bump up font sizes a bit and maybe use slightly darker shade of gray for the post BGs. I'm happy that the posts no longer blend into the background. Also, replace those default button images, they look terrible on a dark BG, they were obviously intended for white. Get an artist to do some Trek-themed ones! :)
    Agreed. I like how the new layout has a line to separate sigs from posts. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    landerx74927landerx74927 Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Forum is ok. Just don't click "Back to Game News" on the top..it will lead you to Arc Games's version of STO and that looks like a mess right now.
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Agreed. I like how the new layout has a line to separate sigs from posts. :D

Just in case you're wondering, eradicator's reskin preserves that feature along with a minimal sized header. I like the line separating the sigs too, because it could lead to confusion before now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Make yourself a few warm thoughts :o

Thanks, I will.

You too; stay warm over there on the other side of the pond.
  • Options
    eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Eradicator, thank you so much! Now, if that add-on only worked in Chrome, it would be great.
    I'm using it in Chrome right now and it works fine. :confused:

I installed Chrome and tested the theme. Definitely works.

Though in chrome a banner ad popped up over the STO logo, something that doesn't happen in firefox (although it does have the space for it there in the html, I am running ad blocker so thats probably why)

Who likes ads?
    /waves hand magically
    Style updated so that the ad is shrunk down to 0 pixels in size so you can't see it ;)
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I see the ad over the logo in FF. I don't really mind it, if the forums are readable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Funny how people use that argument when it's something they consider trivial but how their song changes when it's something they think is important.

Reminds me of when people were mad because they couldn't delete their emails and wanted Cryptic to fix it. They had the option of deleting their emails from a free Champions Online account which was a perfectly functional fix but refused to use it. So using your logic it was kind of their own fault that they continued to suffer the problem until Cryptic fixed the bug.

So what you're saying is, my point is correct? Because that's what it sounds like you're saying.
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I don't hate the new look. It's definitely more sterile, but it's clean.

My only complaints are, some of the greys are a little too light making topic names a little harder to read at a glance, and the change in art style has created an artistic disconnect with the STO website.

I'm sure the latter will be "fixed" when ARC happens, though. :\
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I got sight problems, and this grey background and sometimes grey text is NOT a good idea for me.

A somewhat darker background, or making all letters bright white would be better.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    gonjaagonjaa Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'm a big fan of the changes. Find the site runs faster as well which is nice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I saw the new grey blandness today, and my eyes started to glaze over. Harder to read with the new 2014 forum design.

Cheers Eradicator. This is the horrendous eye strain fixed.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2014
    nulonu wrote: »
    It's visually unappealing compared to how it was but if people with sight problems are seeing it better then it's worth it.

I think I may start colouring in my posts so it's easier for me to read back.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I used my laptop a lot and never usually have bother. My only eye problem But the the dark grey/ grey text didn't agree well with me. Eradictor84 has sorted it though. The white/grey on black is fine.
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'm not having any problems reading it. I have not complaints in that respect, it's just bland, even the header has a kind of washed out look.
    I have to wonder what PWE's next improvement is going to be, grey uniforms for everyone?
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I installed Chrome and tested the theme. Definitely works.

Though in chrome a banner ad popped up over the STO logo, something that doesn't happen in firefox (although it does have the space for it there in the html, I am running ad blocker so thats probably why)

Who likes ads?
    /waves hand magically
    Style updated so that the ad is shrunk down to 0 pixels in size so you can't see it ;)
    kirksplat wrote: »
    I see the ad over the logo in FF. I don't really mind it, if the forums are readable.

NoScript takes care of it all as well, haven't seen any ads before, nor do I see them now.

And really, Eradicator, without you, I'd probably only stop on the forums for the minimum amount of time to see any important messages. Now I can keep browsing around whenever I please (and after I tweaked some font sizes, the new forum looks even miles better than the one we lost a couple days ago). So thanks again.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I've been so happy about Eradicator's mod, posting has gone up! Will actually have to moderate myself, before it goes awry! :D

---
  • Options
    thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It could be better,... for once larger avatars would be nice. Text could be bigger.

I would recommend a theme like this but in another colour and more Star Trek themed. http://outlineforum.com/topic/5345338/5/#new
  • Options
    joeykoricjoeykoric Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The thing I ask Cryptic to consider and keep in mind is that some of their users have vision issues. With that in mind, the font size needs to be larger than standard. Either use larger fonts or allow the community to change the size of the font and colors so that it is most beneficial to the user. Really hope this is something you consider. Thank you.
    Fleet Admiral Zach Caldwell
    Commanding Officer, Strategic Starfleet Operations
  • Options
    zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Thanks Eradicator, that mod makes the forums actually readable again without ruining my eyesight.
  • Options
    johankreigjohankreig Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    joeykoric wrote: »
    The thing I ask Cryptic to consider and keep in mind is that some of their users have vision issues. With that in mind, the font size needs to be larger than standard. Either use larger fonts or allow the community to change the size of the font and colors so that it is most beneficial to the user. Really hope this is something you consider. Thank you.

+1 to this comment.
    Jorhana Kreig: KDF, Tal'is: Romulan Fed, Shona'a: Romulan KDF, Johan Paul Kreig: Fed
  • Options
    greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    joeykoric wrote: »
    Try the browser zoom if the font is too small. Every browser should have one.

And the font doesn't seem any smaller to me.
  • Options
    janetza#4790 janetza Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    New forum looks nice. Thanks for bringing captain Handsome back.

In-game handle @Janetza
  • Options
    antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I saw the new grey blandness today, and my eyes started to glaze over. Harder to read with the new 2014 forum design.

... Snipped

Thanks for the theme. Much better.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hold control and use the mousewheel to scroll up. Or... hold both mousebuttons and move the mouse up...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg