Install Arc
Options

Update The Original U.S.S. Enterprise

Comments

• Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    You must be new to the STO forums, and Trekkies, and Star Trek.

Nothing's better than that first time :cool:
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    You have no clue what a Board of Directors actually does, do you? They do not meet or work every day.

Considering the last time he showed up he tried to argue that STFC lost money despite a half-dozen people pointing to hard data showing it made more than twice its budget, I question whether he even lives in our reality.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    Considering the last time he showed up he tried to argue that STFC lost money despite a half-dozen people pointing to hard data showing it made more than twice its budget, I question whether he even lives in our reality.

No he lives in our reality, just not a little place I like to call Earth.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I was goind to vote no but....

...adding the JarJarPrise means we'd be finally able to shoot that ugly thing in PVP. I'd love to see it blow up.

Also as an addition.... we might get the Klingon Bird-of-Preyish-kind-of-thing from into darkness wich was... kind of nice...
  • Options
    trycksh0ttrycksh0t Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    age03 wrote: »
    Just because it say that doesn't mean he goes to every meeting an votes.He passed on those resposibliies over to Leslie Moovies.We got a hand written letter back fro Mt Redstone himself.
    starswordc wrote: »

Given the two points made in the above 2 posts (STFC losing money and a claiming to have received a 'handwritten' letter from 'Mt' Redstone (Which country is that in, anyway?), (combined with the amazing grasp of the English language being demonstrated),I agree he doesn't live in our reality. Mr. Redstone is worth somewhere in the area of $5.8 billion dollars, he doesn't personally respond to anything with a handwritten letter unless it's going to a close friend, what you got is something his secretary or personal assistant drew up and signed in his place.
  • Options
    lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'm pretty sure that the JJ enterprise is bigger than a Galaxy class, annd that's a big no

Yeah, according to various declarations of the producers and designers but that's not canon. According to therules they laid down themselves, what's show on the screen is cannon. The ship that's shown on the up on the big screen is around the size of the prime universe Enterprise-A.
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    lordfuzun wrote: »
    Yeah, according to various declarations of the producters and designers but that's not canon. According to canon rules they laid down themselves, ahat's on show on the screen is cannon. The ship that's shown on the up on the big screen is around the size of the prime universe Enterprise-A.

What you just said contradicts the actual DVDs, which give measurements of the JJprise being 700 meters long.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    What you just said contradicts the actual DVDs, which give measurements of the JJprise being 700 meters long.

Don't care. If it ain't shown in the movie, it ain't canon.
  • Options
    sfc#5932 sfc Member Posts: 992 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2014
    So are you telling me, in 2270, the U.S.S. Enterprise looked like the JJPrise? If you "update" the TOS Enterprise you are creating a huge continuity glitch in "Past Imperfect" as the that version of the Enterprise, in our universe, does not exist.
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited February 2014

By that logic, 99% of Star Trek ships length's aren't canon. Because they were never shown on screen.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    trycksh0t wrote: »
    Given the two points made in the above 2 posts (STFC losing money and a claiming to have received a 'handwritten' letter from 'Mt' Redstone (Which country is that in, anyway?), (combined with the amazing grasp of the English language being demonstrated),I agree he doesn't live in our reality. Mr. Redstone is worth somewhere in the area of $5.8 billion dollars, he doesn't personally respond to anything with a handwritten letter unless it's going to a close friend, what you got is something his secretary or personal assistant drew up and signed in his place.
    Here is a LINK to the "handwritten letter" he stated Mr. Redstone sent his group, which he posted it in another thread.

It is clearly nothing but a common press statement someone wrote about the split several years ago - and then doctored to include some oddball items.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Sorry, but I must agree with the others. Virtually everything we know about all the ships and technology in Star trek did not come from the various TV shows or movies. It came from Tech books published about them.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited February 2014

The entire film series is not canon, so technically, your assumption carries about as much weight as the DVD's measurment.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    By that logic, 99% of Star Trek ships length's aren't canon. Because they were never shown on screen.

OK let me be more specific. I do tend to legth a lot of my thoughts of my postings.

When the length of a ship stated outside of the show matches up to the features on the ship in the show. I'll accept those sizes are canon. But then the "official" started sizes obviously far different than what's depicted on the screen. For me, what's on the screen is canon.

An what I mean by features are small details on a ship whose sizes are know or can be reasonably determined. Things like air locks, windows, separation between the decks, etc. Those items a lot of times can be seen in the live scenes or depicted in scale to live actors in special effect shots, e.g.. the forward windows in 10 Forward in TNG, the travel pod docking sequence with Kirk and Scotty in TMP. Those items size can be used to estimate the of the vessels show on the screen.

Now with the JJ-prise, the biggest tell tale, if the main window/view screen on the main bridge. There are plenty interior scene which show the actors nears the window/screen to judge it's actual size (or just using the actual sizes from the set). Now look at exterior shots of the ship where the main bridge window can be seen. One can esily use the windows measured from the interior to scale the ships exterior. And my memory serves me accurately, I recall some scenes show the interior of the bridge with the actors present from a vantage point outside of the ship.

* yeah. I know about the shuttle bay scene from the first film. It's a TRIBBLE up on their part. And after all it can't truly be called Star Trek without continuity errors. :)
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It is clearly nothing but a common press statement someone wrote about the split several years ago - and then doctored to include some oddball items.

I'm guessing the "doctored" parts are the segments with notably atrocious spelling, punctuation, and grammar compared to the "press release" portions. They're also pretty obvious due to their tone, reading more like the sort of barely-coherent rants we get here on a fairly routine basis.
  • Options
    killdozer9211killdozer9211 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I was goind to vote no but....

...adding the JarJarPrise means we'd be finally able to shoot that ugly thing in PVP. I'd love to see it blow up.

Also as an addition.... we might get the Klingon Bird-of-Preyish-kind-of-thing from into darkness wich was... kind of nice...

Glad I'm not the only one who would love that BoP. Bonus points for making it a carrier pet too.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Bah whether it's the size of the Enterprise A or a Galaxy there is one fundemental problem with the Enterprise from JJ's universe. It's on the outside 1 way or the other too DAMN SMALL to have open areas like it does.

Seriously it would have to be the size of the Odyssey to have areas that big inside of it.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    Bah whether it's the size of the Enterprise A or a Galaxy there is one fundemental problem with the Enterprise from JJ's universe. It's on the outside 1 way or the other too DAMN SMALL to have open areas like it does.

Seriously it would have to be the size of the Odyssey to have areas that big inside of it.
    It is actually somewhere between the size of a Sovereign and an Odyssey. http://www.coldnorth.com/owen/game/miscellaney/comparisons/compare.htm
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    It is actually somewhere between the size of a Sovereign and an Odyssey. http://www.coldnorth.com/owen/game/miscellaney/comparisons/compare.htm

Again it would have to be just to have hallways and an engine room that big inside the hull. One of the few things that irks me about that movie series.

Like how quickly Enterprise gets to Qo'nos and back. Like they are next door neighbors. Old enterprise barely made what Warp 7 most days? Whats this new one do in JJ's world, warp 17?
    afMSv4g.jpg

• Options
    edited February 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    Again it would have to be just to have hallways and an engine room that big inside the hull. One of the few things that irks me about that movie series.
    As I said elsewhere, I actually liked that about the ship. :)
    Like how quickly Enterprise gets to Qo'nos and back. Like they are next door neighbors. Old enterprise barely made what Warp 7 most days? Whats this new one do in JJ's world, warp 17?
    Considering how many time travel trips they took I think it went faster then 7 quite often. :D
  • Options
    zachariyazachariya Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    greyhame3 wrote: »
    No, the Phantom Menace will always be bad.

This 1000 times this
    Shoot through the Galaxy, Final Master Spark!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    zachariya wrote: »
    This 1000 times this

Honestly I think JJ will do fine with star wars since that style of writing and the way star wars flows, is what suits JJ IMO.

Cause the first time I watched star trek 2009 when it was through was "When did Star Wars come to this franchise with that silly looking ship spock was flying."
    afMSv4g.jpg

• Options
    daedalus304daedalus304 Member Posts: 1,049 Arc User
    edited February 2014

why are there two versions of it?

Besides that ship is nowhere near the size of a sovereign, whomever put that visual up was either really stupid in the scaling from a producer's standpoint, or was just going off of what the DVD set said, which was wrong on so many levels.

the one below the big TRIBBLE one seems more reasonable.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    why are there two versions of it?

Besides that ship is nowhere near the size of a sovereign, whomever put that visual up was either really stupid in the scaling from a producer's standpoint, or was just going off of what the DVD set said, which was wrong on so many levels.

the one below the big TRIBBLE one seems more reasonable.
    ILM stated they scaled it at 735 m for the movie. The plastic model company scaled it at 366 m - which is what they thought was reported.
  • Options
    daedalus304daedalus304 Member Posts: 1,049 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    ILM stated they scaled it at 735 m for the movie. The plastic model company scaled it at 366 m - which is what they thought was reported.

yea just read it more, they said the scale up was for the FX shot, regardless the JJ prise is just a tad bigger than the original enterprise.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    yea just read it more, they said the scale up was for the FX shot, regardless the JJ prise is just a tad bigger than the original enterprise.
    If you actually watch the extras it is a lot more complicated then that.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Read the title of the thread and the first few bits of the OP and new exactly what was going to happen.

The rest of the thread did not disappoint.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    And now for this musical interlude...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgDORvds824
  • Options
    ehgatoehgato Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    lol the 2009 movie, i think very low on this movie , until i see the real trailer they should use

link

if this were the real trailer i will not feel like a tief empty mi poket that nigth when i was in the teatre xD

sry for mi english

trait stubborn : still flyng the galaxy ship in a lost attemp to feel the ship fit in this "Star Trek vs frikin dynos with laser in the heads" xD ( a small joke , a small smile can change your day )
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    misterde3 wrote: »
    Well, my KDF ships have a giant slush ice machine in engineering.:P
    I thought that was for making cotton candy, or what they did with all the washing machines that they clearly never use on Qo'nos, or at the very least for de-furring Tribbles.
    As for this thread, one more time, until the next time someone asks without doing a search, anything having to do with the Bad Robot Productions version of Star Trek is off limits.
    So no Abrams Enterprise, No USS Big F-ing-whatever it was. No Vulcan Jellyfish ship. We have something that kinda sorta looks like the Narada but clearly isn't. CBS said no and this is one area where I am thankful there is someone who can actually keep Cryptic from doing something stupid.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC