Options

Let's Trade Foundry Reviews!

Comments

• Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ryan218 wrote: »
    Firstly, thanks for the review!

To be honest, I had difficulty writing the mission without taking cues from the Maquis episodes, but I think I'll give some of the maps a rewrite to space them out from the actual episodes. When I write the sequel, that's one of things I'll be checking is originality.

As for the one-shot wonder maps, yeah... I knew that was a problem when I wrote them in. The mission is more driven by story than by combat. I know the encounter with Myro in the Plasma Fields is a particularly bad spot, so I'll probably find something to add in to drag it out.

And I spawned the ship at the edge of the maps because, in the show, unless they were dealing with a critical emergency, starships always warped in at the edge of a star system and continued on at low warp or on impulse, dropping to impulse completely when the got close.

However, there are a couple of maps where warping in close is justified, so I'll likely change that too. I'll probably put in nav markers to emphasise the point about warp regulations as well, because it doesn't make complete sense otherwise.

I will check the reach markers while I'm at it just to make sure it's not a problem on my end.

Okay, I've done a small revamp of the mission, adding some more life to the Marva IV Outpost interior, giving the player more to do in some maps, and rewritten some dialogue to distance it from the shows.

I'd appreciate another look at the mission with the improvements so I can get feedback on what still needs improving.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well I did "Return of the Maquis"... (possibly before you republished)

A few specific thoughts:
    Starbase(your second map): why is the beam in so far away from the admiral?

Pandora: Myro's Raiders? kinda odd. Didn't Myro call you to be there?

Plasma fields: maybe rename the debris objects? the default names are a bit odd. Typos: "Gorn Freigther" "takew us into firing range"

Overall:
    most of the maps are "enter, talk to contact, leave" It's not very good.

Some of the maps have interesting tasks. Well... one... the plasma fields. That one was pretty good.

The last one is basically a beam in talk to contact then leave, but it has a few fighters to blow up first. not very interesting....

It isn't a bad mission, but... it's kinda simplistic.

I guess I'll toss my KDF mission "Diplomacy in the Gamma quadrant" in here.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Well I did "Return of the Maquis"... (possibly before you republished)

A few specific thoughts:
    Starbase(your second map): why is the beam in so far away from the admiral?

Pandora: Myro's Raiders? kinda odd. Didn't Myro call you to be there?

Plasma fields: maybe rename the debris objects? the default names are a bit odd. Typos: "Gorn Freigther" "takew us into firing range"

Overall:
    most of the maps are "enter, talk to contact, leave" It's not very good.

Some of the maps have interesting tasks. Well... one... the plasma fields. That one was pretty good.

The last one is basically a beam in talk to contact then leave, but it has a few fighters to blow up first. not very interesting....

It isn't a bad mission, but... it's kinda simplistic.

I guess I'll toss my KDF mission "Diplomacy in the Gamma quadrant" in here.

Thanks for the review!

Is the 'Myro's Raiders' part at any point before you respond to the Cardassian colony's distress call? If not... Then I'm shocked no one pointed it out before. I'll fix it.

Yeah, I was kinda limited as far as what I could do to make the mission interesting because of the plot. I'll try to come up with more to put in.

I'll fix the typos as well. I put I. The freighter task when I republished the mission, so no worries there.

The sequel, 'Hunt for the Maquis', will have a lot more combat and interesting activities in it... Once I finish it.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Thanks for the review!

Is the 'Myro's Raiders' part at any point before you respond to the Cardassian colony's distress call? If not... Then I'm shocked no one pointed it out before. I'll fix it.

Yeah, I was kinda limited as far as what I could do to make the mission interesting because of the plot. I'll try to come up with more to put in.

I'll fix the typos as well. I put I. The freighter task when I republished the mission, so no worries there.

The sequel, 'Hunt for the Maquis', will have a lot more combat and interesting activities in it... Once I finish it.
    Pandora is the Cardassian colony IIRC. I guess I didn't word that well. It was more about me wondering about who it was that send the player to talk to Myro in the first place.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Pandora is the Cardassian colony IIRC. I guess I didn't word that well. It was more about me wondering about who it was that send the player to talk to Myro in the first place.

Okay. I was worried I'd spoiled that Myro was the villain before you got sent to the colony.

Panic over.

Major spoilers following:

Since Myro was an admiral, he sent for you to help stop the Maquis before they bought the Cardassians and the Federation into conflict (a cover for the fact that he was himself the Maquis leader). I'm not sure I've written that particularly clearly.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Okay. I was worried I'd spoiled that Myro was the villain before you got sent to the colony.

Panic over.

Major spoilers following:

Since Myro was an admiral, he sent for you to help stop the Maquis before they bought the Cardassians and the Federation into conflict (a cover for the fact that he was himself the Maquis leader). I'm not sure I've written that particularly clearly.
    I'm not sure how rational that line of thought is though... The only way it makes sense is if he a: thinks you can't stop him, and b: thinks he needs you to mop up behind him.

It kinda reminds me of the standard supervillain shtick of inviting the hero into his heavily fortified base so he can gloat to the hero about how diabolically clever he is.... Myro calls you to deal with the situation diplomatically, while apparently expecting you to not try to deal with the Maquis(or not be able to)? To me, that's the part of the story that felt off the most.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    wildkazoowildkazoo Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Review of Author: A Taste of Collateral Damage by BorrowedTune

This is my first review, so I don't really have a process for it. But here goes.

I thought this mission was fantastic. There was an intriguing and well-executed story. The dialog was well-written and there was just enough technobabble to make it feel Star Trek. I won't say much more because I don't want to give anything away, but make sure you have remodulators. The maps were very detailed and interesting. I also enjoyed the little things that you could scan along the way that weren't important to the story, but added a little flavor and rewarded the player that took the time to explore beyond just the mission story line.

I would highly recommend this one.

For BorrowedTune, if he ever reads this:
    There are two things I think should change. First, if the Lieutenant that the player meets outside the turbolift is acting as a guard, why did I have to choose to talk to her instead of her stopping me to begin with. Might I suggest making that at pop-up dialog when you get close to her instead of having to choose to interact with her. That might make it a bit more believable that she is a guard and would make her dialog fit better.

Second, get rid of contractions in the dialog of the player and the officers for roleplayers who might have officers or characters that are Vulcan or just don't use contractions.
  • Options
    borrowedtuneborrowedtune Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    wildkazoo wrote: »
    Review of Author: A Taste of Collateral Damage by BorrowedTune

This is my first review, so I don't really have a process for it. But here goes.

I thought this mission was fantastic. There was an intriguing and well-executed story. The dialog was well-written and there was just enough technobabble to make it feel Star Trek. I won't say much more because I don't want to give anything away, but make sure you have remodulators. The maps were very detailed and interesting. I also enjoyed the little things that you could scan along the way that weren't important to the story, but added a little flavor and rewarded the player that took the time to explore beyond just the mission story line.

I would highly recommend this one.

For BorrowedTune, if he ever reads this:
    There are two things I think should change. First, if the Lieutenant that the player meets outside the turbolift is acting as a guard, why did I have to choose to talk to her instead of her stopping me to begin with. Might I suggest making that at pop-up dialog when you get close to her instead of having to choose to interact with her. That might make it a bit more believable that she is a guard and would make her dialog fit better.

Second, get rid of contractions in the dialog of the player and the officers for roleplayers who might have officers or characters that are Vulcan or just don't use contractions.

Thank you for the review. :)

And btw, Vulcans use contractions. Some Soong type androids, specifically ones named Data, do not. There's exactly one of those in the entire universe and I'm quite certain he isn't a boff on any player's ship. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Thank you for the review. :)

And btw, Vulcans use contractions. Some Soong type androids, specifically ones named Data, do not. There's exactly one of those in the entire universe and I'm quite certain he isn't a boff on any player's ship. :D

I stand corrected. And I need to give the supposedly Star Trek expert who told me that a hard time. I rewrote a lot of dialog to take out all the contractions in my mission. :(
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I stand corrected. And I need to give the supposedly Star Trek expert who told me that a hard time. I rewrote a lot of dialog to take out all the contractions in my mission. :(
    Well... SOME Vulcans don't....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Review of The Dogs of War by pbau3993.

It is a fun mission. It has a good story that forces the player to make some tough choices. Even though it focuses more on story, the combat isn't just a walk in the park. I did feel that the maps were a little bland and there are some typos. Overall, it was fun and I gave it 4 stars.
  • Options
    zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    wildkazoo do you have a mission that you want on this list?
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    My review of Contact Squared by eldil

Great mission! Really awesome maps and good story, not much else to say. I did expanding the lore of a canon TNG episode. I gave it a 5/5. I did notice some issues with randomly capitalized words and missing periods that would need a proofreading session.

Here's some specific feedback

Malcor III
    Sweet "rescue" thing through the planet, haven't seen that before!

Warp Ship Durken
    Very nice map
    I did the rescue hostages backwards, i rescued the doctor before the other VIPs so some of the dialogue didnt' make sense (we should go rescue the doctor maybe he can help us!)
    ??? I might have missed something but it looks like the Engineer and someone else also graduated in the same year as the Doc

Malcor VII
    You didn't rename the satellites when during "Perform Continuous Scan" so I see it's label "Satellite 02" or whatever. In space the object components names are visible unlike ground maps. It looks like you know that but just overlooked these ones.

Warp Ship Durken
    Typo at end talking to Captain Arjin Peers "My Cheif Engineer has an Idea" (chief)

Again great job this is an excellent mission. Apologize for the long wait for this review but I took an unscheduled break from STO (but I'm back!) Hopefully you're still around to see this.
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
  • Options
    sorrowaysorroway Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This is my review for The Dogs of War by pbau3993.

I liked the diplomatic nature of this mission and the sometimes difficult choices it presented to the player. However, I felt some of the maps could use some more details.

Omanus System: Briefing at the beginning when you arrive at Omanus is a nice touch.
    Oma: good dialog/story. The city looks interesting, albeit a bit small for a capital.
    Omanus System: The objective ?check contition of defense systems? has a very small radius.
    Oma: You should try to add some more life to the city to make it feel and look more like the capital of the planet. Add some benches, plants, crates, consoles or people.
    Coast: Effective map for a battle. I like the type of enemy you chose to represent the technologically advanced Omanians.
    Oma: Interesting choices to make, and a good conclusion to the story.

I gave this mission four stars.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I also played and reviewed Reman Dilithium Run by Stolu!

As suggested by the author, I played this mission with my Reman Vice-Admiral.
    It had been some time since the last time I visited Quark?s, so I liked the starting location.

Freighter Maps: I liked all the named Remans, and the cargobays filled with crates. But I think parts of these maps are a bit empty.

Caves: This map looks really great with all the details!

Asteroid Base: felt much like the freighter maps, perhaps a bit too much. It was a nice touch the Reman npc?s helped me with the assault. It had the right amount of enemies and discoveries to make. Perhaps you could add some more details to the research that was being conducted on the base.

Space battle: I like shuttle combat, but I felt it took a bit too long. If I remember correctly there were six waves of scorpion fighters. Followed by two more interesting waves, which I really liked! Also, you might want to rename the satellites since they still have their standard foundry item names.

I enjoyed this mission and gave it four out of five stars.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Perhaps you can add my mission to the list :)

Title: In the Shadows of Oppression
    Author: Sorroway
    ID: ST-HA5FZ2ZGE
    Faction: Federation
    Level: 36+
  • Options
    sarek93sarek93 Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    sorroway wrote: »
    This is my review for The Dogs of War by pbau3993.

I liked the diplomatic nature of this mission and the sometimes difficult choices it presented to the player. However, I felt some of the maps could use some more details.

Omanus System: Briefing at the beginning when you arrive at Omanus is a nice touch.
    Oma: good dialog/story. The city looks interesting, albeit a bit small for a capital.
    Omanus System: The objective ?check contition of defense systems? has a very small radius.
    Oma: You should try to add some more life to the city to make it feel and look more like the capital of the planet. Add some benches, plants, crates, consoles or people.
    Coast: Effective map for a battle. I like the type of enemy you chose to represent the technologically advanced Omanians.
    Oma: Interesting choices to make, and a good conclusion to the story.

I gave this mission four stars.

Thanks for the review. The stuff your saying is stuff I've been hearing consistently (add more stuff to the maps). I've been swamped with work lately, and I probably won't be able to get around to updating the mission for a week or two, but once I do get the time, that'll be one of the first things (along with some proofing) that I'll be doing.
    "Insufficient facts always invite danger." - Spock
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Perhaps you can add my mission to the list :)

Title: In the Shadows of Oppression
    Author: Sorroway
    ID: ST-HA5FZ2ZGE
    Faction: Federation
    Level: 36+

done :D /10chars
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I do have a mission I'd like added to the list. I just felt that I needed to offer some reviews first. And I was touching up on some feedback I'd already received.

If you wouldn't mind adding "Foothold" to your list, that would be great. Thanks.

Name: Foothold
    Author: wildkazoo
    ID: ST-HN6PZ5EJS

For Fed character, bring a remodulator.
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The Zorbane, he's alive XD.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I do have a mission I'd like added to the list. I just felt that I needed to offer some reviews first. And I was touching up on some feedback I'd already received.

If you wouldn't mind adding "Foothold" to your list, that would be great. Thanks.

Name: Foothold
    Author: wildkazoo
    ID: ST-HN6PZ5EJS

For Fed character, bring a remodulator.

It's on the list! To the people who have had their missions played by wildkazoo please give reciprocate and give his a try!
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    The Zorbane, he's alive XD.

Yes I am haha, I went on winter vacation then came home to a broken computer and took an impromptu break from STO lol
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    This is my short review of Foothold by Wildkazoo.
    This mission starts with a meeting on DS9, afterwards you have to fly back to the Sirius sector block and take the transwarp gate to gamma orionis. I actually like the flying around before the mission really starts in this one.
    The mission sends you to the Hotep System, which is an interesting location to return to. After some simple tasks the mission continues with a second briefing that explains the details of the next portion of the story.
    The next space map is the Sibiran System. A part of the Borg attack did me think of Star Trek: First Contact, which was a pleasant surprise.
    The map of the station is an effective reuse of the original map with some small additions that make it interesting enough to return there.
    Overall, a good mission with a nice and balanced amount of story and combat that seems to be the start of a promising storyline. Good work!
  • Options
    prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hello all - Z put me onto this forum to list my mussion for potential review so here I am! :D

As I have already told him, I love player-created events and have absolutely no issues in playing and reviewing them. I am a fair reviewer but honest. If something doesn't work for me merely because of my personal preference I tend to not even mention it or let it effect my overall review.

I'll take a look at the above lost and start finding missions with 0 reviews and build up from there as soon as I can.

In the meantime, I would love feedback on my mission,

Author name: preirin
    Mission title: The Once and Future King, 31+. It's a story-driven misison with challenging ground and space combat and plenty of opportunities (I hope) for laughs along the way.

If you play it and review it, thank you. Hold nothing back. Highlight any typo you might find. Anything constructive helps - really.

Hopefully I'll have some reviews of my own for other missions up soon. I have my eye on In the Shadows of Oppression - by Sorroway currently...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    This is my short review of Foothold by Wildkazoo.
    This mission starts with a meeting on DS9, afterwards you have to fly back to the Sirius sector block and take the transwarp gate to gamma orionis. I actually like the flying around before the mission really starts in this one.
    The mission sends you to the Hotep System, which is an interesting location to return to. After some simple tasks the mission continues with a second briefing that explains the details of the next portion of the story.
    The next space map is the Sibiran System. A part of the Borg attack did me think of Star Trek: First Contact, which was a pleasant surprise.
    The map of the station is an effective reuse of the original map with some small additions that make it interesting enough to return there.
    Overall, a good mission with a nice and balanced amount of story and combat that seems to be the start of a promising storyline. Good work!

Thanks for the review. Hopefully I can have part two up in the near future.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Reman Dilithium Run by Stolu

A good mission with interesting story about the Remans. I haven?t seen many of them. Some common things I noticed were that ground fights were in general quite easy and I felt railroaded on the three ground maps (more details in the detailed feedback section). Overall it was still a good mission with good maps and (as I mentioned before) an interesting story and I gave it ⅘

Deep Space Nine
    Under Rendezvous with Contact have it be more specific (3rd floor quark's bar). I ended up dropping the mission and re-taking it to refresh my memory on where to go.
    Same thing with the next objective (in the shipyard)
    Reason for this is if someone picks up your mission then does it later (or takes a break) it can be disruptive

Dilithium Freighter
    Kinda obvious what was going to happen with the "Under Attack" objective. You could rename it to something like "Check in with Mekuk".
    The fights were really easy with my boffs and the helpers
    I like the map

Brace for Impact
    I felt like I was just following objectives on this map. I?d talk to a guy, do what he tells me then magically the next objective is to talk to some guy halfway across the map. Try to have the player know what to do without looking at the objective list and the mini map. Having the guy who just gave you the instructions on the task you just did tell you to go to the next guy would make it a more immersive experience. I kinda got the feeling a bit on the previous map but its much more prevalent here.
    All the fights (except for captain mobs) were really easy. Consider making them stronger mobs or stacking them.
    Nice map again

Crash Landing
    I thought the conversations with the Vlutga was interesting, having the Remans being potential allies. Would have liked more in some of the conversations though which were very short one line dialogues.
    I felt like this mpa could have been removed by combining it with the next one by just having all the Vlutga hanging out in one room and you talk to them, then when you do that you move onto the ?attack the Tal Shiar? part.

Shuttle Liberation
    Unnamed Interact when you rescue a guy named ?Resistance?. It has no animation either.

Incoming Fighters
    Didn?t rename the Satellite 1 object. Objects in space that are a component complete object display their names (in this case ?Satellite - Spheres Damaged 05?). It?s the same for all the Satellite objects
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I played through Shadows, published by Sorroway, this evening.

A fun ride. Fights were challenging and sometimes overwhelming (but that may be more of a factor of my play style than anything). A few typos here and there but no major problems. Thanks for publishing!

Minor issues: a few very minor typos... the first being in the initial mission text/description. It says "you are send to..." I think you mean 'sent'.

The only other typos I saw were with two words that were written as a single word, should be two. Striketeam should be strike team. Powercore should be power core.

The only "complaint" I would have to offer (and I hate to use that word seeing as it isn't a complaint, really) is in the part where you are to climb the rock to reach the array. I had a heck of a time trying to find WHICH rock, exactly, given that the green circle is so large on the map. It would be great if there was a way to highlight the specific area somehow... maybe I was the only one who had this trouble.

Other than that, I had no complaints about it whatsoever. Solid story, good game play. I'll have to admit, I thought I knew where it was going in the beginning but I was wrong - you went a different direction. Kudos.

4 stars

I hope this review helps. It's 2am here and I am dead tired so maybe it doesn't make sense. Reply to this post if you have any questions and I'll be sure to answer as best I can.

Cheers!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    aleniskendraaleniskendra Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    zorbane wrote: »
    Try out other missions (Cryptic and Foundry) and see how they do it. All part of the learning process :)

Hey, Zorbane! Just wondering if you'd like to try my mission again? :-)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My very first Foundry Mission, Healing Old Wounds, has been completely reworked and rereleased!
    (Also, a quick shout-out, please visit Starbase UGC for all your Foundry needs!)
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    zorbane wrote:
    Hey Everyone!

Hey Z - just to let you know, I tried searching the Foundry in-game for 'Sacrifice' by @kyeto13 and Perfection, Part 2 by @ashkrik23 - neither of which were there. Is it possible they have not been published yet/are being edited?

Also, is it possible to get my mission on the list?

Title: The Once and Future King
    Author: preirin
    Fed, 31+

Cheers! :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Oh oops sorry about that prierin I remember seeing you post your mission and was gonna put it in the list but forgot, its there now!

As for not being able to find the missions did you try looking in the Review Content tab?
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    prierin wrote: »
    Hey Z - just to let you know, I tried searching the Foundry in-game for 'Sacrifice' by @kyeto13 and Perfection, Part 2 by @ashkrik23 - neither of which were there. Is it possible they have not been published yet/are being edited?

Also, is it possible to get my mission on the list?

Title: The Once and Future King
    Author: preirin
    Fed, 31+

Cheers! :D

Are you 41 or over? Perfection won't show if you are lower than that. Make sure to type it exactly as labeled. The mission is not in the review section.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png