Install Arc
Options

server down v3 1/30/14 [Resolved!]

Comments

• Options
    wildboarwildboar Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    stf65 wrote: »
    The server crashed today. The server always crashes. What's the big deal? What makes today's crash any different from the 100 other crashes over the last 4 years; most of which have come on major updates?

You're acting like Cryptic attacked you because they crashed the server. It's just a crash. It's not a personal assault on you in any way. In a couple of days everything will be patched and you'll never even remember this day existed. Really.

I like that you try to say I'm acting this or that just because you are saying it does not mean it is fact. prove it
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited January 2014
    Hi Captains. We're still working on bringing STO back up. Once we have an ETA to provide I'll be sure to post it here. Thanks for the continued support!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    mwhitakermwhitaker Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Too bad BranFlakes is too busy cooling the hordes elsewhere to clamp this thread down...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "The Borg - party-poopers of the galaxy" ~ The Doctor
  • Options
    toctiktoctik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    they Will Have To Reward Us With A Tribulating Triangulated Tribune Tribble Trivially Traumatized To Tranquility Through Trials Traversed... Yep.

---

It's A Trap!
  • Options
    phelanpkphelanpk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    A quick ping test reveals the obvious falsity of this claim of "network issues". I have pinged all of the servers of the game. They DO, in fact, respond to pings, and what's more, those response times have never been better, perhaps because no one is actually on anymore.

As such, it is plenty obvious that the network is actually doing fine, and the fact that the response on the port is a flat out CONNECTION REFUSED indicates that the game daemon is simply DOWN.

This is NOT a network issue, the server program has CRASHED. If it were a network issue, I would be seeing terrible pings and connections not getting a response at all, not a prompt response from the server indicating it is not serving.

Hate to **** in your corn flakes dude, but this is like saying you can ping my modem and tell me that my computer is or isn't turned on.

If you're going to talk ****, know what you're talking about.
  • Options
    xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    achatefw wrote: »
    Network Admin Han Solo: Uh, everything's under control. Situation normal.

Community Manager BranFlakes: What happened?

Han Solo: [getting nervous] Uh, we had a slight equipment malfunction, but uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

BranFlakes: Will we have the game back up soon?

Han Solo: Uh, uh... negative, negative. We had a data leak here now. Give us a few minutes to lock it down. Large leak, very dangerous.

BranFlakes: Who is this? What's your employee number?

Han Solo: Uh...

[Han shoots the intercom]

Han Solo: [muttering] Boring conversation, anyway. LUKE! IT'S THE COMPANY!

If only I could fit that into a sig, epic laffs! well done good sir.
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited January 2014
    P.S. I'm not saying it was Iconians. But it was Iconians.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    origcaptainquackorigcaptainquack Member Posts: 614 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    since the servers are down for third time and we cant play, can you apply the maintance that you were going to apply tomorrow? this way we wont lose even more time playing our wonderful game.:confused:
  • Options
    ishtarscorpioishtarscorpio Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hi Captains. We're still working on bringing STO back up. Once we have an ETA to provide I'll be sure to post it here. Thanks for the continued support!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Look out...Duck!
  • Options
    swat842#6435 swat842 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Just be patients it will be back up an running
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    deasamus6284deasamus6284 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    um brandon hate to be a pian but can i ask since game has been off most of day can you guys extened todays free gift another day.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    mwhitaker wrote: »
    Too bad BranFlakes is too busy cooling the hordes elsewhere to clamp this thread down...

uh

what??
  • Options
    captinwh0captinwh0 Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    the surver status icon has gone
    nerf.jpg]
  • Options
    cassianncassiann Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hey here is a solution for Cryptic to avoid making people mad at them for these Server crashes.

After they add new content to the game just keep it down for 24-48 hrs to work out all the bugs. Seeing as how they can never keep the servers up longer then they are down for that period of time anyway.
  • Options
    achatefwachatefw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    If only I could fit that into a sig, epic laffs! well done good sir.

I'd like to see BranFlakes make it his signature. It's probably not far off from some of the real conversations that man has had.....XD
  • Options
    shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Brandon, did you let lose the swarmers in the server again:D
  • Options
    karcornerkarcorner Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    um brandon hate to be a pian but can i ask since game has been off most of day can you guys extened todays free gift another day.

Pretty sure they will do something, they always do.
  • Options
    sindreksindrek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    P.S. I'm not saying it was Iconians. But it was Iconians.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

How about an ETA on that ETA?
  • Options
    kyuzos7kyuzos7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    theres gonna be compensation right?

300 qmendations for everyone and all their characters.

or

50 lobi for everyone and all their characters.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    morkebergmorkeberg Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Bran Flakes this is the Admiral, get to my office now you are so fired! :D
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    mwhitaker wrote: »

you someone who likes when other people are silenced if they do not discuss things you approve of?
  • Options
    devilkiller98devilkiller98 Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I wouldn't mind if they ran the scheduled maintenance now rather than tomorrow if it will resolve some of the stability issues :)
    They say time is the fire in which we burn. Right now, Captain, my time is running out. We leave so many things unfinished in our lives... I know you understand.

Legendary Final 5 Elite Fleet Leader
    http://final-five.guildlaunch.com/
  • Options
    kaeajakaeaja Member Posts: 517 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Okay I am saying this. Cryptic this is pathetic, I understand that the event ends on February 27th, but some of us dont have the time to just sit around and wait for this crud to stablize, so what are you going to do Cryptic? If this persist to a point where we can no longer within reason obtain enough of the "Qmendations" if at all, are you going to compensate us for what your unstable server robbed us off? I am not demanding compensation right now, I am asking for what you plan on doing if these crashes take to much time away from us.
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    phelanpk wrote: »
    Hate to **** in your corn flakes dude, but this is like saying you can ping my modem and tell me that my computer is or isn't turned on.

If you're going to talk ****, know what you're talking about.
    That's precisely my point: If I ping your modem, I get a response, and you say your computer has crashed, I believe you. If you say that your network is broken, and I get a perfectly clean response from your modem (technically your router), I say you're lying, because there's nothing wrong with the network, your problem is that your computer is down. If your computer were truly down, I would be able to ping your modem, and then when I try to connect to the service port, I would get nothing, because your router would forward the connection attempt to your computer, and then it would disappear into the ether on the other side. This, too, I would believe. But when I get a connection REFUSED message, indicating that something there received my connection attempt, but explicitly rejected it on account of there being no program listening on that port? That is NOT a "network" issue.

And yes, I know exactly what I'm talking about: I run an internationally distributed server network of many different configurations, and when something goes down, I need to know what the hell I'm looking at and what kind of downtime I'm seeing. I've seen a LOT of various types of failures and know exactly where I should be filing crash reports. THIS kind of failure is not "network failure".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ondolindeondolinde Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    *sighs* I'm getting the third patch in less than 24 hours...

But of course the 3rd patch currently downloading doesn't mean the authentication server is going to let me log in. :(
  • Options
    sarisiasevensarisiaseven Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I know what will fix this...a sonic Screwdriver!
  • Options
    pozmedley1963pozmedley1963 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    No, it is not. You're not actually getting a timeout trying to reach the login server, that's just the behavior of the client when it fails to get a connection.

What is ACTUALLY happening is that the client is repeatedly attempting to open a connection to the login server, and getting a Connection Refused TCP-RST, meaning nothing is listening on that port and the server is returning an explicit response to that effect.

The client, not programmed to process this particular response, just treats it the same as any kind of failure and repeatedly tries again until its own internal clock indicates it should give up.

This is readily apparent if you manually attempt to connect to the same IP and Port that the client is attempting to:

~> telnet 208.95.184.129 7422
    Trying 208.95.184.129...
    telnet: connect to address 208.95.184.129: Connection refused

All network diagnostics indicate that the network is FINE. If it were truly a network issue, you would get very slow responses or high packetloss on pings/traceroutes. Even if it was an internal network issue, you would still get a connection from the front-end server, followed by a total absence of meaningful response from the backend (this doesn't necessarily indicate that it truly is a network issue, but it makes it POSSIBLE that this is true).

Instead, however, we get immediate flat refusal. The network is fine. The game has crashed. Now, I'm entirely understanding of the fact that they have no QA department and rush these things out on a deadline.

But I don't appreciate being lied to.

I'm NOT being sarcastic. I am asking because I don't know and I really do want to.

I read your post. I have to ask....

Let's say it IS a network issue. Can they (CRYPTIC) on their end, prevent anyone from signing on while they try to work out the issue and in doing so, possibly...POSSIBLY give you the result you are getting that indicates all is fine? I mean, if they aren't being flooded with people signing on, wouldn't it appear okay?
  • Options
    neppakyoneppakyo Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So I heard it was network problems? If so, why is tribble working just fine?
    Quote about STO on consoles: "Not quite as bad as No man's sky, but a close second."
  • Options
    sudonamisudonami Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I was going to make a funny comment about the server randomly thinking it's the only thing in existence in the universe and link the TNG episode when Dr. crusher gets stuck in her own mind and the ships computer defines the universe as a small sphere around the enterprise.

can't find just a small clip of that scene though so... ... have a bacon AK
    http://www.sogoodblog.com/2009/04/15/bacon-gun/
  • Options
    thebluerabbitthebluerabbit Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    What does it say about me that reading some of the more ludicrous (subjective, I know) ravings in this thread actually lowers my blood pressure?

You're depriving my cardiologist of a new boat, darnit!
This discussion has been closed.