test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Re: 4-yr Ann. Event (was: Enjoy another rep for anniversary ships *post #30 & #643*)

Comments

• Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Considering that they had to make new mechanics for the ship I have no complaints about having to 'work' for it.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    terongrayterongray Member Posts: 272 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I determined what makes this whole debacle so insidious, is how much they are trying to grab you by the balls with this grind. Cryptic has tied up two sets into pieces that are only obtainable on the grind-walled ship. The Solanae Set, and the coming 3-pack set. If you don't do it, you are punished by being unable to obtain not just one complete set, but two; the latter even being a C-Store based set.

It's as plainly visible and disgusting as a grotesque pimple right between your eyebrows. Anyone who wants either the full Solanae set or the full bonus for the 3-pack, are being strong-armed into this grind. Which is blatant intent by design, they know people are tired of grinding from the Winter Wonderland. They want to see Master Key sales spike, from the people who want the ship but can't be arsed to grind. Even more likely, they want their new tokens fly off the shelves like hotcakes, so they can point and say 'see, they love this!' and use it as an excuse for putting in more time-gating that can be bought out. Failing those two, those who just grind, give them their activity metrics they drool over.

Touching on the lobi route, this is a T5 ship, with a T5.5 coming to the C-Store. If you try to go with pure lobi, even with the 400 freebies Q-chips, you're looking at close to one hundred dollars if you're lucky, to potentially near two hundred invested. For a ship which is declared 'Free!' and will have a superior version 3-pack coming to the store in a month for 50 per faction. Moral sense would dictate is should be obtainable by the most direct route for a comparative cost for a T5 ship. But of course, it's not.

Instead of a collective celebration between players and developers as years prior have been, it's been twisted into an event that is racketeering the players. Grind the ship, so you don't miss out on set bonuses, which you wouldn't miss out on anyways if they didn't force you to grind to get the pieces that are exclusively obtained with the ship. A problem that wouldn't have existed if they hadn't have changed the system intentionally to create it.

In light of this event, my wallet is likely to remain forever closed to Cryptic. No more Zen for the C-Store nor months of Gold; weather or not I'll even continue to play as a strict Silver is in doubt, thinking of logging in at this time just makes me feel unwell. There are other game producers I no longer patronize for less evils.

Well Cryptic, you definitely provided a completely new Anniversary experience.
  • Options
    kantazo1kantazo1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Again this unnecessary grind for something that suppose to be a thank you for sticking with us for 4 years is just simple lazy. These grinds could exist on the game as part of the game but not as part of "Hey guys, thank you for 4 years of gaming with us"....

This feels more like a kick in the diliyhium chamber.
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
  • Options
    donrahdonrah Member Posts: 348
    edited January 2014
    Why don't we have this instead?
    Go here and show your support for a better Foundry!
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    donrah wrote: »
    The first rule of debate is to not disparage your counterpart. The second you offend or become dismissive of the other person, they cease listening to you and you forfeit any hope of being taken seriously.

There's also consistency to take into account. When multiple people are making the same complaint, ie "why grind for what was a straight gift 2 years running," and someone declares 1 complainant out of several to be spewing "entitlement" while not applying it to all the others, the realization of obvious bias renders any further response an obvious waste of time.

Since, y'know, it's entitlement coming from me but not from anyone else making the same complaint. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    There's also consistency to take into account. When multiple people are making the same complaint, ie "why grind for what was a straight gift 2 years running," and someone declares 1 complainant out of several to be spewing "entitlement" while not applying it to all the others, the realization of obvious bias renders any further response an obvious waste of time.

Since, y'know, it's entitlement coming from me but not from anyone else making the same complaint. :rolleyes:

Actually now that I think about it if they feel we are not entitled to getting a T5 ship without a grind for the anniversary that will soon be placed into the Cstore at Fleet level quality then I don't feel they are entitled to my subscription.

Sure F2P means grindy and it is much more palatable when you are no longer subbed. I can only vote with my wallet and I did in the past by renewing my sub when they did something I really agreed with (even if I cannot currently remember what on earth it was). This is not an 'I Quit' this is a 'I Quit Paying'.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    As a player who does not have one single character T-5, I have 6 characters, 3 in each account I have. I have to decide everyday what toon to level to reach my goal, right now I am working on my Romulan to level him to T-3 in Dyson, Romulan, Nukara and the other one, I have to help my fleet with SB missions, when will I have the time to ad another grind? I rather wait until the ship is on sale at the C-Store and then buy it there.

And I refuse to chase miniQs all over the map.
  • Options
    marcthe000001marcthe000001 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    For the anniversary mission, Can you please give us the ships for completing the mission.

An if you insist on us grinding a little, then can you just let us grind for the ship parts (defector, shields and engines) for 250 or 300 Qmmendations a piece.

And if that doesn't agree with then at least HALF The Qmmendations needed for the ships please.

With hopeful regards,

marcthe000001

EDIT: Forgot to say: Remember the promise you make to not make the game such a grind fest? I do.
  • Options
    gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Its far too late to make suggestions now.
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    For the anniversary mission, Can you please give us the ships for completing the mission.

An if you insist on us grinding a little, then can you just let us grind for the ship parts (defector, shields and engines) for 250 or 300 Qmmendations a piece.

And if that doesn't agree with then at least HALF The Qmmendations needed for the ships please.

With hopeful regards,

marcthe000001

You're joking, right? Right?

We've kinda already been over this. And over, and over, and over...
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Unless people keep pressuring them to make it less grindy.
  • Options
    kamenriderzero1kamenriderzero1 Member Posts: 906 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So they.re now supposed to stop what they're doing, stop the patch, go back in and edit everything to do with the rewards and do it within the time they gave matince lest everyone cries and complains?

You really don't know how much work they put into the game.
    Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
    What's my position?
    That people should know what they're screaming about!
    (paraphrased from "The Newsroom)
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Unless people keep pressuring them to make it less grindy.

Like my uncle Bubba says "AIN'T going to happen"

CRYPTIC has already decided to follow the GRINDFOREVER Path and they are not going to go back on it.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    They don't have to stop the patch, they can make the changes during the anniversary as a "sorry for trying to make you guys waste your time." gift of sorts.
  • Options
    bignutterbignutter Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    In Previous Years, you've been able to get Free Level 40 ships with no consoles for a limited time, with a Level 50 ship with Consoles in C-Store or No-Console Fleet version Later.

This time we're getting a new ship with a new Consoles. In otherwords we're getting a Free C-Store ship, not a Free ship when like we were leveling up.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    True, but a lot of people are still POed at the amount of grinding needed according to Brent from YouTube.
  • Options
    erraberrab Member Posts: 1,428 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The fact that there was no real follow up response by any Cryptic Dev or our community manager does not surprise me in the least.

The same thing happened with the JHDC and that thread had something like 3000 posts and not one comment from Cryptic to be found in it.

This blatant double dip attempt by Cryptic is just the first in what I now suspect will be many more that will follow.

I cannot seem to shake the fact that this whole Anniversary Event just seems tainted to me and the lip service that we did get from Cryptic just makes it feel all the more dirty.

There had to have been a better way for this issue to have been handled...... Their just had to have been.

Has I have said repeatedly on this topic:

If this had not been made part of the Anniversary Event I would not have thought anything about it.

Happy Anniversary Guys and has a thank you for 4 years being here for STO we are happy to present to you a new Free Science Destroyer and all you have to do is run our new FE mission and then run a mini game for 15 straight days to earn enough tokens to claim your Free ship.

Has an added bonus there's an option that will allow you to use Lobi to get additional tokens to help you get your free ship even faster.

In an effort to make your new Free Science Destroyer even more special we're proud to announce that in about 5-10 days after our Anniversary Event has ended we'll be offering a much better version of the Science Destroyer to you all in the form of a 3 pack to the tune of $50.00 and these new 3 packs will be per faction so it will only cost you $150.00 if you want all 3!

Oh and did we forget to mention that we've created or are creating a 4 piece set bonus that can only be obtained if you have both the grind/Lobi version of the Science Destroyer and the 3 Pack version of your chosen faction?

Happy Anniversary Guys
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    errab wrote: »
    The fact that there was no real follow up response by any Cryptic Dev or our community manager does not surprise me in the least.

The same thing happened with the JHDC and that thread had something like 3000 posts and not one comment from Cryptic to be found in it.

This blatant double dip attempt by Cryptic is just the first in what I now suspect will be many more that will follow.

I cannot seem to shake the fact that this whole Anniversary Event just seems tainted to me and the lip service that we did get from Cryptic just makes it feel all the more dirty.

There had to have been a better way for this issue to have been handled...... Their just had to have been.

Has I have said repeatedly on this topic:

If this had not been made part of the Anniversary Event I would not have thought anything about it.

Happy Anniversary Guys and has a thank you for 4 years being here for STO we are happy to present to you a new Free Science Destroyer and all you have to do is run our new FE mission and then run a mini game for 15 straight days to earn enough tokens to claim your Free ship.

Has an added bonus there's an option that will allow you to use Lobi to get additional tokens to help you get your free ship even faster.

In an effort to make your new Free Science Destroyer even more special we're proud to announce that in about 5-10 days after our Anniversary Event has ended we'll be offering a much better version of the Science Destroyer to you all in the form of a 3 pack to the tune of $50.00 and these new 3 packs will be per faction so it will only cost you $150.00 if you want all 3!

Oh and did we forget to mention that we've created or are creating a 4 piece set bonus that can only be obtained if you have both the grind/Lobi version of the Science Destroyer and the 3 Pack version of your chosen faction?

Happy Anniversary Guys
    This exactly what I mean, somewhere along the lines you have to use money to get the most of your free ship.

And like I'll keeps saying: WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO MAKE IT LESS GRINDY AS THEY PROMISED?!?!

(I haven't forgotten the "promote upcoming captain with sponsorship" tokens, I just wish they applie it to all grind events when you manage to grind it with one of our captains.)
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    To be honest I am going to do FE 1 time to see Tuvok after that is bye bye Ms. American Pie.
  • Options
    newromulan1newromulan1 Member Posts: 2,229
    edited January 2014
    I expect much more hilarity to insue in this thread once people actually start to run the party Patrol nightmare mini-Qs mission.
  • Options
    scruffiscruffi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    editted away
  • Options
    alonaralonar Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I am saddened that there will be no aniversary this year. Also I propose that the misnamed Qmendations be call the Qpattys since Q keeps crapping them out every time he shows up.
  • Options
    hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    kantazo1 wrote: »
    To be honest I am going to do FE 1 time to see Tuvok after that is bye bye Ms. American Pie.

Drove my Argo to the levy but the levy was dry.
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • Options
    dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    These are purposely gimped ships and the only way to give them any potential is to spend a lot of money. And it's not a "free" ship if you have to earn it by repeating the same grind for 15 days. It's not free. While I'm disappointed they're not using the same system they did for the 3rd anniversary, I can deal with the fact that they've decided to change it to make some money. Fine. Just be honest about it. This gesture of appreciation is about hooking people onto these ship and getting them to fork over big bucks to get the premium version. You don't appreciate someone by getting them to spend money. I mean, really.

But this shouldn't be as much a problem next year since everyone's expectations will be considerably lower.

Luckily, the Fed version is rather unattractive, so I'll be flying around in my new, beautiful Wells science ship instead. :D
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    In next year anniversary the free ship will be sold to us on Zen money. 2500 Zen for next year "Free" ship. :eek::D
  • Options
    sinusiridumsinusiridum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    kantazo1 wrote: »
    In next year anniversary the free ship will be sold to us on Zen money. 2500 Zen for next year "Free" ship. :eek::D

Don't give them any ideas, but then again, they also almost never listen to us players, so... :D
    ###################
  • Options
    ryeknowryeknow Member Posts: 191 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    These are purposely gimped ships and the only way to give them any potential is to spend a lot of money. And it's not a "free" ship if you have to earn it by repeating the same grind for 15 days. It's not free. While I'm disappointed they're not using the same system they did for the 3rd anniversary, I can deal with the fact that they've decided to change it to make some money. Fine. Just be honest about it. This gesture of appreciation is about hooking people onto these ship and getting them to fork over big bucks to get the premium version. You don't appreciate someone by getting them to spend money. I mean, really.

But this shouldn't be as much a problem next year since everyone's expectations will be considerably lower.

Luckily, the Fed version is rather unattractive, so I'll be flying around in my new, beautiful Wells science ship instead. :D

It should have been done like they did with the Oddy. Play a nice, well made FE, get your ship and go home, adding the uprated C-store versions later on. Instead now they got you jumping through hoops for the pile of junk AND having to by the C-store packs to finish off the set pieces. So instead of "thank you for supporting STO" its now "eat this worm on the hook you suckas!".

Anyway like I said, I'll play the FE cause Im a fan of Tim Russ and I want to see his char and voice over in STO. We are already besting ELITE end game content in 5 mins these days with gear we already have, I dont need more gear piled up in my already maxed out limited bank space collecting dust.
  • Options
    burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ...did someone mention cake?

To further stretch the analogy, this 'anniversary' is more inviting people over to your birthday party, then telling them if they want cake they'll have to bake it for themselves - but the cake comes in four parts you have to make individually as the oven is too small and the filling will take a fortnight to make, doing a tiny piece per day

....want to get the filling faster? pay the birthday boy/girl for the ability to reduce it by increments!

...but then..

wait! its just a bare cake - if you want a complete cake, you now have to buy the icing... but hold on Bucko! its a birthday cake so you need to buy the candles and the decorations at the same time as only buying one will not let you get the full cake!

..Still...at least you know have the full ca-

...oh the candles, icing and decoraions are the wrong colour? well, you need to buy two more three packs of 'cake completion' to get everything!

-head explodes and the party is cancelled-
  • Options
    greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    artan42 wrote: »
    Stop complaining and pick up your FREE ships.
    I would if I thought it was worth the time investment. It's not. And I like flying science ships.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Originally Posted by vorga113
    ""Love" the anniversary event, it the equivalent of inviting people over to your birthday party and then telling them if they want cake, they'll have to bake it themselves."

It feels more like instead of bake your own cake, go and buy your own ingredients, pay me a fee for using my kitchen, my utensils, my pots, my electricity, my oven and at the end you have to buy the cake from me.