Options

Season 8 Dev Blog #42

Comments

• Options
    sanatobasanatoba Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    scurry5 wrote: »
    It is 15. Read again.

My mistake. Still doesn't make up for Christmas. And I still don't agree with this being a grinding event at all.

It alienates those who can't put in the time right now to earn it or the money to buy it (students in school and hard working parents for example). I will probably be able to earn it (grudgingly), but I know a lot of others who will not right now. Not a very good time of year for one of these kinds of events. They work best during summer and Christmas.

Other than that, I am looking forward to having these new ships. They look really cool.
    Been Playing STO as much as I can for 11+ Years!

"Never Surrender! Never give up Hope!"
    "Prosperity and Success in everything you do."
    "To Boldly go.........well punch it already!"
    "To Be or Not To Be"....Alas, the Foundry is Not To Be. We Shall miss Thee, dear Friend!
    "Does anyone remember when we used to be explorers?"- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Thank You, Cryptic......even when I don't agree with all your decisions....Thank You for Star Trek Online!
  • Options
    ducklesworthducklesworth Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Can you please, please, PLEASE stop forcing us to fly your latest ships in these missions? It's getting ridiculous.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    This mission sounds exciting, and the EV suit looks well cool.

However, we're expected to grind out 1000 tokens for the ship on each of our characters, plus replay the mission three times to get the items on each of our characters.

This is a crazy amount of grind, and you run the risk of oversaturating the players and making them sick to death of the mission and the daily event by the time the anniversary event ends.

Might I suggest that you make each of the ships an account wide unlock - perhaps reclaimable like the 1000 day veteran ships? That way, we'll still have to collect 3000 tokens (one for each faction) which means that people will play the daily, plus run through the mission at least three times - and it'll avoid the players getting sick of the grind too.

-K

I agree and I like this idea...
    rinkster wrote: »
    Nope, we knew that before the weekend.

There is a comparative calculation of how long it took to get the ship last year on six toons, compared to this year.

In previous years it came to 90 minutes, played whenever you like during the run of the vent.

This year, it'll be between 9 and 12 hours, depending on whether you replay the FE to get the rest of the set.

Additionally, because of the time gating, you can't play the time at your pace. Indeed, if you can't make 15 of the days the events run, you miss out.

While these new ships are wonderful and all, this is a pretty big change to the nature of the anniversary event.

A grind that will inevitable prevent some from getting the ships, when they could have done under previous years conditions, is not well thought through.

Understood and agreed. There will be many who can't get these ships.....a lot of unhappy players.

"To Be or Not To Be"....Alas, the Foundry is Not To Be. We Shall miss Thee, dear Friend!
    Thank You, Cryptic......even when I don't agree with all your decisions....Thank You for Star Trek Online!
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    devast8tor wrote: »
    TL;DR Summary: I'm thankful that the devs have invested time into creating a new and exciting FE and anniversary event. I was also very excited to try out the new rewards.. until I learned how much grind was involved to get them.

Explanation:
    Good luck to those who have the time and patience, but I am not planning to attempt to collect any of the rewards beyond the initial experience. I simply do not have the the time, interest, or patience available to complete the FE mission 24 times (3 runs w/ unskippable cutscenes x 7 chars) nor can I contemplate attempting 105 daily missions (15 runs x 7 chars) over 15 days. The current reputation system and associated grinds have morphed into something that makes obtaining end game loot the least desirable aspect of the game.

Historically, I still remember the first currency consolidation, in what was promised to be a removal of confusion, reduction of grind, and streamlining of play. Today, we have more currencies in game than we did before the original consolidation and that's sad. Someone above stated that the current reputation system is so confusing, they aren't even aware that some rewards exist. I share that sentiment as well.

End-game grind serves a few basic economic purposes in a F2P system:
    1. Provides incentive for players to purchase end-game rewards with cash (when made available for purchase)
    2. Provides player population for required team play (which is typically only an issue for solo players and can be remedied with events)
    3. Produces items for sale through the exchange
    4. Serve as currency sinks for in-game assets
    5. Serve as filler that hides a lack of new content creation (which is expensive to produce as a developer, but isn't that what the foundry was created for? If so, you've crippled an awesome idea with paltry rewards)

Without data, it is impossible to say which of these is driving grind madness for STO. Economic factors aside, the question remains: "Is the content fun enough to warrant voluntary repetition?"

Personally, I still enjoy Borg STFs even after all this time. The missions are challenging, the rewards are decent, and at least some strategy is involved. However, if you ask me to rescue ships from the Azure Nebula again, I think I might have to airlock my admiral. Part of this preference is due to the mission structure (an Elite STF and Azure take almost the same amount of play time on a good team) and the other part is the rewards imbalance. I effectively need to play Azure 3-4x more often to earn the same mission rewards offered in one Borg STF.

I also struggled to complete Sphere of Influence 24 times to get a reward ship and drones, but I have never been able to bring myself to complete any of the prior Winter or Summer grind prizes either, so that's where my interest and availability threshold lies. I would happily pay a nominal fee to obtain those items through the Zen Store, but I do not gamble on lockboxes or keys. I wonder how the rest of the playerbase feels (and what Cryptic's datamining reveals), but perhaps that is a question for another thread.

I'm right there with you, fellow UFP member. I do want those ships, so I may try during this event, but this maybe the last of these kinds of events I take part in on STO. I do not like this kind of excessive grinding, even for a special ship.

• Options
    tomin8rtomin8r Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited January 2014
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I will run through it to see the story. Then I will run it again once I get done with the Sphere rep so it will fit into the story.

I won't be running it repeated for the event to get the ship.
    1 - The ships don't really interest me.
    2 - The event don't cover enough days for me to grind for it. I play on weekends. They didn't allow for that.
    3 - There will be more ships to get so I can miss out.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    thunderhawk101thunderhawk101 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    farmallm wrote: »
    I have one question? Will the Tuvok mission still be up after the event. I like to run it afterwards to go with the quest series. To be in order. Like my KDF and Romulan, they both are working on the Romulan Rep. So I like to kinda keep it in order and play it again once I get there.

It will be, says in the DevBlog that after the 27th of Feb. the Mission will revert it's requirements to lvl 50 however.
    erei1 wrote: »
    I enjoy this kind of thread. It's like farting in the air to fight the wind. It's poetic, childish and completely useless.
  • Options
    cyckathcyckath Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Was planning on grinding it, so more things make it less painful. Just don't make us jump through hoops to get an accolade to get extra additional stuff please...
  • Options
    solidneutroniumsolidneutronium Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Fifteen days of the most annoying Q shell game ever for every toon you want it on. Will the everlasting joy ever end?
    Professional Slider Since 2409

Officially Nerfed In Early 2410
  • Options
    boweninugamiboweninugami Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You know, I've loved Cryptic's anniversary events. Well, save for the fountain, that was just a mess but still. Here we are the 4th Anniversary and you know what..it's a grind fest like the summer and winter events. Will I get the ship...I have a sci character that would use it, yes. For my other characters, no. Will I do anymore of these grind events..no.

Get a damn clue Cryptic, the grind is becoming a pain in the TRIBBLE. The Reputation stuff is one thing, but for a freaking anniversary ship. Slap it on the Cstore or don't even bring it out. Better yet..don't bring it out.
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You know, I've loved Cryptic's anniversary events. Well, save for the fountain, that was just a mess but still. Here we are the 4th Anniversary and you know what..it's a grind fest like the summer and winter events. Will I get the ship...I have a sci character that would use it, yes. For my other characters, no. Will I do anymore of these grind events..no.

Get a damn clue Cryptic, the grind is becoming a pain in the TRIBBLE. The Reputation stuff is one thing, but for a freaking anniversary ship. Slap it on the Cstore or don't even bring it out. Better yet..don't bring it out.
    You do realize that you don't have to do the project for the ship, which in turn will mean that you won't get the ship at all? Sorry, but there will be people who will do the necessary process of getting the ship.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I can only hope that cryptic will be smart enough not to lock the fleet version behind T3 spire. I already purchased 12 fleet modules - but being in a small fleet - T1 spire is all that we have been able to accomplish.

Fleet version will be stashed in the S9 Fleet addition...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    You do realize that you don't have to do the project for the ship, which in turn will mean that you won't get the ship at all? Sorry, but there will be people who will do the necessary process of getting the ship.

Cryptic also didn't HAVE to change the anniversary event from what it has been the last two years.

However evidence suggests there'll be a fleet version eventually. I really doubt that they put this much effort into three ships to make them never available again after this short event.
  • Options
    lordkasulordkasu Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Really Guys?

I coped with the risa event, but I simply can not do the winter event. And this one sounds like it will be just as disappointing as the winter event. Way to kill the anticipation. I can do some grinding for a rep system which gives permanent abilities and lets me get lots of really cool stuff. But doing it for one ship? It's such a pain.

I'm waiting for the next sale to go lifer, but please stop the grinding madness. Don't make me reconsider my sanity by throwing this kind of stuff at me...
  • Options
    capnshadow27capnshadow27 Member Posts: 1,731 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I am massively on the fence about this.

I want the EV suit, looks cool.

Ship looks ok as artwork, BUT i will wait till i see HARD STATS, to make a true decision.

But i am saddened by the amount of grind for this. I do not want to fight with other players for rewards, and its not even guarunteed rewards.
    Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
    I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    the ship looks awsome i cant wait to get it, tim russ is a really nice guy and he played his character of tuvok flawlessly this mission looks set to go down great i cant wait to play it.
    i am also looking forward to the q event, i loved the event last year especially the q parcel game it was a blast and i am looking forward to playing it again.
    you are so genorous what with the free c-store items you are giving us and now this event.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Updated information for the Q daily for Qmendations:

• "Convince 5 mini-Q's to come to the party"
    • Average time of completion in testing: 2-5 minutes to complete the entire "daily"
    • Each mini-Q has a chance to:
      • Turn into a creature you chase
      • A "3-card monte" type game, "the shell game"

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

sounds like a blast!
    i am truly looking forward to this event it sounds like its going to be great fun for me and when its over can we also have a cristalline entity event soon please.

thanks for giving us all you do and in making sto the best mmo ever, and a special thanks for making it a star trek game, thats the icing on this most delicious cake. i think ill have another slice of that cake tonight.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    I am lready lost by the amount of different tasks, games, grindings, tokens, points, commendations, reputations... we have to do to get items.

I know it is about keeping players engaged but I have lost track.. and my interest.

i feel quite the opposite, it is all these things that make the game more and more interesting all the time so i never have time to get board with the same ol sam ol all the time, and the beauty of it is that there is never just one way to accomplish your goals so if you are not all that keen on a certain bit you can do a differant thing instead.

variety is the spice of life they say and sto gets spicier with every update.
    live long and prosper sto.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    I'm just wondering how much time they are going to try to milk this dyson stuff that is seemingly less and less trek the more they start moving away from what small part of it was actually in star trek.

how can you say that what has featured in dyson is not like star trek, they have got the sphere itself they had one featured in tng and voth from voyager.
    and dont forget we only see a very small part of the voth in voyager who knows what the rest of their society was like, they may well have had very many lesser spicies of dinosaur that they took with them when thy fled earth.

lets face it if we had to flee earth would not we take dogs, cats, cows, sheep and many other spicies with us to populate the new world.

and also at the end of the day everything in sto does not have to be canon, dont forget that sto is set after all the tv series and films ended so any number of new things like ships and weapons and other stuff plus any other types of alien creatures that we did not see before could become part of the game, there is a whole universe of possibilities out there so as far as i am concerned nothing is beyond the realms of possibility to be introduced into the game.

in fact there was very little in star trek itself that was not new before it became canon and i am sure if they had a new series on the tv now there would be a whole load of new stuff we have never seen before.

as far as i see it the only limit on new things in sto is the devs imagination and that is the most fundimental part of star trek canon, you own ability to except the new and unknown.

• Options
    albertwesker45albertwesker45 Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    this is probably the first time i might evade the 4-Year Anniversary Event from reading people's post with an open mind it starting to turn out like the other rep ship then i'm only going to get the set beside this DHS(for the fed and rom) look just like the there counter parts so there is no need to get this ship for any of my toons. well at least it not all doom and gloom atleast there's the pre-Anniversary giveaways.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    We will see about that, one thing is your empty test severs with nobody else, another is full instances all with players going after Mini-Qs.

Congratulations, you have made a PvP event.

as most of the complainers reckon they wont be doing it and they recon that most other players wont eaither you should find that the areas should be pritty clear of others doing it.
    so there should be plenty of room for the few players who like me are quite happy to do it.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    sanatoba wrote: »
    Oh please, not another stinking EARING (grinding) event where I have to log in a full total of 25 days out of 30 possible in order to EARN a FREE GIFT ship! (oxymoron anyone?) I can understand doing that sort of thing twice a year, but not every time we turn around! And 25 out of 30 days!?! I could understand 10 or 15, but 25!?! No way, it is getting to be too much. Cryptic you better rethink the future events or in the long run I think you will be shooting yourselves in the foot when it comes to most of the community. Most people can't easily devote that much time to the game during a single month's time. I prefer how you had it set up to get the anniversary ships (and subsequent upgraded C-store or Fleet versions) from the past two years. But having copy cat events of the winter and summer event is too much. It is already getting old and too over the top.

it is actually 15

• Options
    edited January 2014
    it is actually 15

Yes, I know now it is 15. Still not the happiest about it, but I will try this event (I can at least grind, for now). Still I know a lot of people can't (grind or pay, for an anniversary ship that has traditionally be free) and that bugs me something awful.

Crystalline Entity Event? Like it and want it to be repeated plenty of times. Will continue to take part.... dilithium and fleet marks alone worth it. :D

Reputation grinds? Alright, cool abilities and stuff. Very much worth it. Will continue to grind for rep... ;)

Summer event? May not grind for a new ship this year, but may take part in a few other things. Winter event, will finish grinding for the second ship for each character it is started on, nothing more. After that, I may never grind for any ships like this again. It is too much and I will likely boycott ship grinding events like this one after winter if they continue out side of the summer and winter events. :(

And any other ship grinding events that take place this year I may likely skip in protest too. :mad:

One ship grinding event per year like this is good. Two is pushing the envelope, but ok. Any more than that, especially during the times of year like now when people are the busiest, is just too much. It alienates a good portion of the community and that isn't good.

• Options
    sevenatsevenat Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Guys.... really?

Lets agree to a few things before we all get upset.

1-( This generations) MMO's have grind, grind gives players a sense of progression, progression is important because without it, the RPG elements of the game become more stagnate. Once you reach the current max level in the game, you begin into a "tier" system. Complete tier one, move to #2 etc etc.

2- If your given something for free in this game, what does that accomplish?

- The first time, you'll be happy and thankful, even if its a small item
    - The second time you'll be amazed
    - The third time, you'll be okay with it
    - The fourth time, it will be so-so

The term is diminishing returns, and it happens to all of us, sometimes in different ways then I've listed.

Now consider the game and the mechanics of the game...

If they give us a top tier ship, now a significant number of people are using that ship and neglecting other perfectly viable ships.

So we see 100 Enterprise-D' retrofits in orbit at ESD for example...

So the question becomes, if they make new ships, and those ships are better than other ships, why play the older ships? The answer is simple, there is no reason to play the older ships.

But why is this? In terms of cannon/story these ships could be upgraded.

For example: The Enterprise constitution class in the movies was upgrade and became a cruiser class (didn't it?) Well, at anyrate, it was badly damaged and they built a new model or rebuilt what was left.

This happened to the defiant in Ds9, except they gave sisko another stock one, that they could then outfit like the old one. (Which had custom modifications to the weapons systems, among other things.)(Read: Custom consoles and unique equipment items)

And they also upgraded the Enterprise-E at the start of Nemesis (it was that movie wasn't it?) (Read: Sovereign class: Retrofit)

So, we have established that captains are given a ship, and sometime down the road for various reasons, they can be upgraded, to a point of course, but upgraded non-the-less.

Every ship in the universe has a role to fill for starfleet, not all of them are combat based. In TNG we see older class ships used as transports for medical relief, shuttling diplomats,ambassadors and admirals around and other uses.

We also see "front line ships" doing this. The enterprise both in TNG and the movies, can be seen taking on these roles. It is because they are in range to assit and it makes sense to deploy them rather than wait for another ship, which could take longer.

Where am i going with all this?

1- older ships are not useless. If they dont have a fleet version of a ship, this is not a bad thing.

2- bigger doesn't equal better.

The defiant has proved this. A "tough, little ship" as Riker pointed out. Consider that, really take that in, that little ship was in an (what appears to be in the movie) hour long fight (or longer) with a borg cube. HOUR LONG! and it was only near the end that their engineering team buff was on CD that they couldn't repair the ship and worf was going to ram the cube.

3- Compare the non fleet and fleet version of a ship, the difference is 10% in stats right? But no change in offensive capability, in terms of weapon slots. Consider that. By giving us one more sci/eng/tac slot they are giving you the freedom that the defiant crew has to upgrade and customize their ship outside of the base specification, but there are limits, the ship simply cannot have 14 tactical slots, the EPS system,warp core and other supporting systems cannot run that. It is a limitation in the ship design, a trade off if you will.

Finally, I don't like to grind. I like grinds that "move along" where the grind is a by-product to having fun, enjoying missions and story arcs etc...

I totally understand your lack of desire to grind to get a ship. Lets find away instead to have the dev's create mechanics we can do, and that make sense for the dev's too.

My suggestion, is to better incorporate foundry into the game, players could create content for use in the game, saving the dev's time. I once participated in a program from another company, create something for the game, get paid for it, and they take control of it and it becomes part of the game. That was a lot of fun, I wrote some music, still in use to this day!

Edit: One more thing, I've been an off and on player for STO, I dislike grind, But i like the mechanics of the game, thank you dev's, thank you for bringing to life this universe and doing a pretty good job, its not perfect, but its been a good set of memories.... oh and thanks bran flakes for al lyour info posts, we do appreciate the info!
  • Options
    moronwmachinegunmoronwmachinegun Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Branflakes,
    Any thoughts on adding a rep bonus to veterans/LTS? 50% bonus rep for starters would be an awesome veteran bonus. Making it apply to all rep projects, including Q's events, would be great.
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    as most of the complainers reckon they wont be doing it and they recon that most other players wont eaither you should find that the areas should be pritty clear of others doing it.
    so there should be plenty of room for the few players who like me are quite happy to do it.

I wonder, do you see how what I've quoted above isn;t the solution but an accurate summation of the problem?

This isn't the WW event or summer on Risa.

This is the anniversary event, this has a qualitively different meaning to those other grinds.

The way this grind has been set up excludes too many people. It really shouldn't be excluding people at all. Yet you're now lauding the fact that the grind has put people off to say its better for the rest of you.

Thats an anniversary event?

In the mega thread elsewhere there have been countless suggestions, not all gimmeshipforfree either.

If this grind had been designed differently, there'd be fewer issues.

One suggestion has been to drop the mini Q game altogether, instead requiring us to replay the FE.

400 QM the first time and 100 thereafter.

Reduces the time commitment to a week, instead of a fortnight, lets us play interesting content instead of a stupid miniQ game, at a stroke removes the mini griefing that always occurs when you have players competing to start a mini game.

Cryptic still get us parking our bums at the machine for a reasonable amount of time.

In short, there are good compromises on the table. However, assuming the ostritch postion and saying over and over again, "theres no problem" wont work.
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The more we complain the less they will talk.

We had this last year after LoR

Also we gave feedback regarding Arc and they never listened which is why giving feedback is getting more and more pointless in this day and age
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Updated information for the Q daily for Qmendations:

• "Convince 5 mini-Q's to come to the party"
    • Average time of completion in testing: 2-5 minutes to complete the entire "daily"
    • Each mini-Q has a chance to:
      • Turn into a creature you chase
      • A "3-card monte" type game, "the shell game"

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

The mini Qs again I remember doing it before ( last year or maybe the year before) and it was the most boing thing I've ever done. Depends on when I test fly the ship and the stats will see if I use this Sci ship and decide to do the grind or give this event a miss
    NO TO ARC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    chaoscloud#1972 chaoscloud Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Yeeaaa! More grind... What's next, a spring and fall event? And here I was just looking forward to picking up my 4th year party popper and be on my merry way to do main content. I just got over the exasperation of the winter event using several toons, thinking there will be a nice lull until the summer event arrives that I can catch up on my other reputations and fleet grindings. And for those that keep saying you don't have to do the anniversary grind for a free ship, that's like saying I don't have to pick up that $10 bill laying on the street. :P I'd honestly rather have another option to buy the stuffs from the Zen store. A couple of hours out of my time at a low wage job will allow me to buy all the stuffs I need from the event versus spending many hours grinding it out for "free". The old Time vs Money equation.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    prissycox wrote: »
    Yeeaaa! More grind... What's next, a spring and fall event? And here I was just looking forward to picking up my 4th year party popper and be on my merry way to do main content. I just got over the exasperation of the winter event using several toons, thinking there will be a nice lull until the summer event arrives that I can catch up on my other reputations and fleet grindings. And for those that keep saying you don't have to do the anniversary grind for a free ship, that's like saying I don't have to pick up that $10 bill laying on the street. :P I'd honestly rather have another option to buy the stuffs from the Zen store. A couple of hours out of my time at a low wage job will allow me to buy all the stuffs I need from the event versus spending many hours grinding it out for "free". The old Time vs Money equation.

Actually it was mentioned they are doing one in March/April possibly around Easter. If it is a grind like this then I may also decide to do or not. I don't normally mind the grind but the grind has to be worth doing and not become tedious or annoying,
    NO TO ARC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]