test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 8 Dev Blog #42

Comments

• qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    kantazo1 wrote: »
    Indeed, I have maybe 1-2 hours to play 3 times a week and just doing the New Romulus tasks to get marks consumes almost all the time I have available.

Tag Eppohs, nothing else is required. ;)
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    We will see about that, one thing is your empty test severs with nobody else, another is full instances all with players going after Mini-Qs.

Congratulations, you have made a PvP event.

I thought people wanted new PvP stuff ? :P
  • odinfishodinfish Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Good stuff. :) Looking forward to this event.
  • terongrayterongray Member Posts: 272 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    A new FE for the Anniversary? Excellent, thank you.

Including Tuvok with VO? Hell yes.

New Anniv ships with new mechanics? Awesome, yay.

Locking those ships behind time-gated, obnoxious daily missions? Umm, no, why?

Offering tokens to remove cooldowns to speed it up? Frell off.

Serious, this would have been a great Anniversary, if you hadn't gone and corrupted it into a cash grab attempt.

At this rate, I won't bother with staying around to see a 5th, if there even is one.
  • hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    2-5 minutes on a test server?

Well, given the upper limit of instances, academy is likely to be crowded, so there's going to be more competition for each minigame, exactly as there was last year, only much much more.

This will inevitably lead to situations where people feel there is queue jumping going on, leading to the same sort of anooyance that queue jumping created in the WW race.

It's going to add time.

And, I assume, you started at the academy.

So, for 15 days your toon doesnt do much else, or you have to factor in travel time. Probably at least three loading screens worth, sector to earth to academy.

I think, once this goes live, 2-5 is very optimistic. A more realistic estimate would be 5-10, with the proviso that, again just as in the WW, this can be 20 minutes or so for a minority.

I might be willing to pursue the Fed version for my one Sci toon, but if traffic from other players is going to interfere and slow me down, I probably won't bother.

If they're going to make me grind something, I'd rather it be a solo mission in a non-instanced zone. And no time-gating to make me log in every day rather than knock it out in marathon sessions in a weekend or three.
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • newromulan1newromulan1 Member Posts: 2,229
    edited January 2014
    I always remind people that things are optional, and that you need to make a choice on what to participate. Don't get mad at cryptic- just make a choice - do something or don't.

Sadly I will not be participating in this as I had such a horrible experience last year just running the mini-Qs game once on few toon's for the ballonot party popper. I can't imagine doing it on many toons 15 different days!!

I can only hope that cryptic will be smart enough not to lock the fleet version behind T3 spire. I already purchased 12 fleet modules - but being in a small fleet - T1 spire is all that we have been able to accomplish.
  • stormbringer77stormbringer77 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hope I'm basing this on incorrect speculation;

Couple of posts have suggested there will be fleet versions of the Dyson Science Destroyer. Please tell me the fortnight grind isn't for a 9 console ship...:eek:
    ***The above ramblings are, as always, my own opinion. Based on my experiences and interpreted by my mind, they by no means reflect the universal truth (unless coincidentally). Peace.***
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Couple of posts have suggested there will be fleet versions of the Dyson Science Destroyer. Please tell me the fortnight grind isn't for a 9 console ship...:eek:
    -The one's we're getting from the anniversary are fleet-level.
    -The one's we're getting from the anniversary have 9 consoles, but apparently make up for it by being essentially 2 ships in one(sci/tac)
  • devast8tordevast8tor Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    TL;DR Summary: I'm thankful that the devs have invested time into creating a new and exciting FE and anniversary event. I was also very excited to try out the new rewards.. until I learned how much grind was involved to get them.

Explanation:
    Good luck to those who have the time and patience, but I am not planning to attempt to collect any of the rewards beyond the initial experience. I simply do not have the the time, interest, or patience available to complete the FE mission 24 times (3 runs w/ unskippable cutscenes x 7 chars) nor can I contemplate attempting 105 daily missions (15 runs x 7 chars) over 15 days. The current reputation system and associated grinds have morphed into something that makes obtaining end game loot the least desirable aspect of the game.

Historically, I still remember the first currency consolidation, in what was promised to be a removal of confusion, reduction of grind, and streamlining of play. Today, we have more currencies in game than we did before the original consolidation and that's sad. Someone above stated that the current reputation system is so confusing, they aren't even aware that some rewards exist. I share that sentiment as well.

End-game grind serves a few basic economic purposes in a F2P system:
    1. Provides incentive for players to purchase end-game rewards with cash (when made available for purchase)
    2. Provides player population for required team play (which is typically only an issue for solo players and can be remedied with events)
    3. Produces items for sale through the exchange
    4. Serve as currency sinks for in-game assets
    5. Serve as filler that hides a lack of new content creation (which is expensive to produce as a developer, but isn't that what the foundry was created for? If so, you've crippled an awesome idea with paltry rewards)

Without data, it is impossible to say which of these is driving grind madness for STO. Economic factors aside, the question remains: "Is the content fun enough to warrant voluntary repetition?"

Personally, I still enjoy Borg STFs even after all this time. The missions are challenging, the rewards are decent, and at least some strategy is involved. However, if you ask me to rescue ships from the Azure Nebula again, I think I might have to airlock my admiral. Part of this preference is due to the mission structure (an Elite STF and Azure take almost the same amount of play time on a good team) and the other part is the rewards imbalance. I effectively need to play Azure 3-4x more often to earn the same mission rewards offered in one Borg STF.

I also struggled to complete Sphere of Influence 24 times to get a reward ship and drones, but I have never been able to bring myself to complete any of the prior Winter or Summer grind prizes either, so that's where my interest and availability threshold lies. I would happily pay a nominal fee to obtain those items through the Zen Store, but I do not gamble on lockboxes or keys. I wonder how the rest of the playerbase feels (and what Cryptic's datamining reveals), but perhaps that is a question for another thread.
    Daedalus-STO.png
  • lordmanzelotlordmanzelot Member Posts: 468 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Looks HOT!
    Subscribed For: 2300+ Days
    edited January 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    -The one's we're getting from the anniversary are fleet-level.
    -The one's we're getting from the anniversary have 9 consoles, but apparently make up for it by being essentially 2 ships in one(sci/tac)

Actually Geko specifically stated in the Priority One interview these vessels are not fleet level. So it's a load of bull for another basic T5 ship with just a bunch of gimmicks tacked on.
  • killdozer9211killdozer9211 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Naysayers gonna Naysay.

I'm getting more and more excited the more I learn about this event. 2 weeks of shell games at the academy is nothing after that chore of a winter grind with that griefable race.
  • dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    terongray wrote: »
    Actually Geko specifically stated in the Priority One interview these vessels are not fleet level. So it's a load of bull for another basic T5 ship with just a bunch of gimmicks tacked on.

Ya...just finished the podcast...the proton dhc is removed when swapping to sci version...it can not be taken off ship. you get access to the second deflector in tactical or sci mode.

You only have access to the anniversary 9 console ship. There will not be a 10 console version. Stats were said to be similar to the Vesta, but gecko wasn't 100%

The second deflector is not "another" deflector. But an interchangeable item of three different varieties that provide a doff like proc for dps/heals/cc. The Dyson version has a uniqueness to it

So far, there is 2 confirmed set pieces of a supposed 4 piece set. The confirmed are warp/singularity core and the deflector. Only 3 are available through the anniversary mission while the fourth is not revealed.

Looks like it'll be engines/core/deflector/shields...but no one can be sure of course...

Thats about it for the ship summary
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Naysayers gonna Naysay.

I'm getting more and more excited the more I learn about this event. 2 weeks of shell games at the academy is nothing after that chore of a winter grind with that griefable race.

It's another two weeks of grinding. And this event is also griefable - more so than Fastest Game On Ice.

Pretty soon you're going to have to grind in order to unlock new content, and then grind through the Reputation that comes with it.

Good lord. All the talk of less grindiness and the work that went into S8 aimed at reducing the grind, wasted effort. Well done guys, well done.
    dahminus wrote: »
    Ya...just finished the podcast...the proton dhc is removed when swapping to sci version...it can not be taken off ship. you get access to the second deflector in tactical or sci mode.

You only have access to the anniversary 9 console ship. There will not be a 10 console version. Stats were said to be similar to the Vesta, but gecko wasn't 100%

The second deflector is not "another" deflector. But an interchangeable item of three different varieties that provide a doff like proc for dps/heals/cc. The Dyson version has a uniqueness to it

So far, there is 2 confirmed set pieces of a supposed 4 piece set. The confirmed are warp/singularity core and the deflector. Only 3 are available through the anniversary mission while the fourth is not revealed.

Looks like it'll be engines/core/deflector/shields...but no one can be sure of course...

Thats about it for the ship summary

This just further suggests that the fourth piece is going to be in an Advanced Dyson Science Destroyer pack in the Lobi Store. A 10-Console ship with the aforementioned elusive fourth piece of the set.

I really hoped Cryptic would have learned from the feedback about the Obelisk that that was not the way things should be done. I guess - as it seems more often recently - what we say about the game no longer matters. Time to close down the forums, close town Tribble - they're clearly not needed any more.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have one question? Will the Tuvok mission still be up after the event. I like to run it afterwards to go with the quest series. To be in order. Like my KDF and Romulan, they both are working on the Romulan Rep. So I like to kinda keep it in order and play it again once I get there.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited January 2014

The fortnight grind is, indeed, for a nine console ship.
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    farmallm wrote: »
    I have one question? Will the Tuvok mission still be up after the event. I like to run it afterwards to go with the quest series. To be in order. Like my KDF and Romulan, they both are working on the Romulan Rep. So I like to kinda keep it in order and play it again once I get there.

It'll most likely remain after the event ends, as with Temporal Ambassador and Sphere Of Influence, and you'll be free to play it at your leisure.

As it stands, the only thing you'd need to rush to get would be the 400 Qmendations.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Cryptic is really good at sucking the wind from my sails. Any enthusiasm I had for the 4th Anniversary is effectively gone.

Well done, team.
    edited January 2014
    No, he specifically said that they are. He said they only have 9 consoles because they have more bells & whistles on them. They were compared to the Vesta and its weak hull.
  • farseeridranelfarseeridranel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    That might be a stupid question, but will we still be able to get the ship, if we could not collect all Qmendations until Feb 27th?
  • frojoe2000frojoe2000 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Omega Particle here I come!!!! I imagine 7 of 9 would take an interest in the particle showing up.....

I'm assuming it's the Omega Particle since it is one of the few things in Star Trek Lore that can make warp travel impossible for 100's of lightyears.
    edited January 2014
    No, he specifically said that they are. He said they only have 9 consoles because they have more bells & whistles on them. They were compared to the Vesta and its weak hull.

Not sure what you were listening to, but Geko specifically said, when asked how this ship(s) compares to the Vesta:

"It doesn't have fleet-quality stats, it's design is all on its gadgetry and gimmicky."

That came after he was masking the 9 console thing with excuses of all the gimmicks, which at first sounded like they were to justify a fleet ship being down a console slot. But then he said it isn't a fleet ship at all.

So we are grinding for the same T5 grade we were given before, and even given recently with the Obelisk. It had some goodies, and gear designed mainly for it as FE rewards.

No doubt a fleet-grade ship is in the future.

Geko even goes on to say people who won't want to wait or grind, can just buy out with lobi. It is a cash grab.
    edited January 2014
    Not sure what you were listening to, but Geko specifically said, when asked how this ship(s) compares to the Vesta:

"It doesn't have fleet-quality stats, it's design is all on its gadgetry and gimmicky."
    Yeeeah, he meant that the "gadgetry and gimmicky" makes up for the non fleet-quality stats. As a whole, it is fleet-level. You have just given the quote that plainly says that the ship makes up its stats in its gimmicks.
    That came after he was masking the 9 console thing with excuses of all the gimmicks, which at first sounded like they were to justify a fleet ship being down a console slot. But then he said it isn't a fleet ship at all.

So we are grinding for the same T5 grade we were given before, and even given recently with the Obelisk. It had some goodies, and gear designed mainly for it as FE rewards.

No doubt a fleet-grade ship is in the future.

Geko even goes on to say people who won't want to wait or grind, can just buy out with lobi. It is a cash grab.
    There's no "excuses", and he specifically said it was a fleet-level ship. Listen to it again~
  • aceseacese Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    OK not crazy about the grind idea again. I don't agree with others about how bad this is, we get a 400 part head start after all and maybe I don't understand why someone feels the need to "grind" this on every toon.

It's a sci ship for the most part and my tac is pleased with their breen ship already that I had to "grind" out for the holiday. I don't think I logged in my sci toon(s) at all that month.

Still its free (as in money) so log in and get it, if not then don't. This isn't pokemon and yo don't need to collect them all
    edited January 2014
    Yeeeah, he meant that the "gadgetry and gimmicky" makes up for the non fleet-quality stats. As a whole, it is fleet-level. You have just given the quote that plainly says that the ship makes up its stats in its gimmicks.

There's no "excuses", and he specifically said it was a fleet-level ship. Listen to it again~

I did listen to it again. :rolleyes: We just aren't hearing the same thing. Ah well, no accounting for people who are complacent and accept propaganda willingly.
  • sanatobasanatoba Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Oh please, not another stinking EARING (grinding) event where I have to log in a full total of 25 days out of 30 possible in order to EARN a FREE GIFT ship! (oxymoron anyone?) I can understand doing that sort of thing twice a year, but not every time we turn around! And 25 out of 30 days!?! I could understand 10 or 15, but 25!?! No way, it is getting to be too much. Cryptic you better rethink the future events or in the long run I think you will be shooting yourselves in the foot when it comes to most of the community. Most people can't easily devote that much time to the game during a single month's time. I prefer how you had it set up to get the anniversary ships (and subsequent upgraded C-store or Fleet versions) from the past two years. But having copy cat events of the winter and summer event is too much. It is already getting old and too over the top.

Edit: If you read my next post you will see that I was set straight on how many days it is, 15. Sorry about my mistake.
    Been Playing STO as much as I can for 11+ Years!

"Never Surrender! Never give up Hope!"
    "Prosperity and Success in everything you do."
    "To Boldly go.........well punch it already!"
    "To Be or Not To Be"....Alas, the Foundry is Not To Be. We Shall miss Thee, dear Friend!
    "Does anyone remember when we used to be explorers?"- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Thank You, Cryptic......even when I don't agree with all your decisions....Thank You for Star Trek Online!
  • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    How about putting those damn ships on the Z-Store for 2500, and everybody who plays a certain mission (like Temporal Ambassador) gets the ship for 500.

Grinding avoided, Cryptic gets at least 500 for each ship, instead of nothing.
  • scurry5scurry5 Member Posts: 1,554 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    sanatoba wrote: »
    Oh please, not another stinking EARING event where I have to log in a full total of 25 days out of 30 possible in order to EARN a FREE GIFT ship! (oxymoron anyone?) I can understand doing that sort of thing twice a year, but not every time we turn around! And 25 out of 30 days!?! I could understand 10 or 15, but 25!?! No way, it is getting to be too much. Cryptic you better rethink the future events or in the long run I think you will be shooting yourselves in the foot when it comes to most of the community. Most people can't easily devote that much time to the game during a single month's time. I prefer how you had it set up to get the anniversary ships (and subsequent upgraded C-store or Fleet versions) from the past two years. But having copy cat events of the Christmas and summer event is too much. It is already getting old and too over the top.

It is 15. Read again.
  • sanatobasanatoba Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    scurry5 wrote: »
    It is 15. Read again.

My mistake. Still doesn't make up for Christmas. And I still don't agree with this being a grinding event at all.

It alienates those who can't put in the time right now to earn it or the money to buy it (students in school and hard working parents for example). I will probably be able to earn it (grudgingly), but I know a lot of others who will not right now. Not a very good time of year for one of these kinds of events. They work best during summer and Christmas.

Other than that, I am looking forward to having these new ships. They look really cool.
    Been Playing STO as much as I can for 11+ Years!

"Never Surrender! Never give up Hope!"
    "Prosperity and Success in everything you do."
    "To Boldly go.........well punch it already!"
    "To Be or Not To Be"....Alas, the Foundry is Not To Be. We Shall miss Thee, dear Friend!
    "Does anyone remember when we used to be explorers?"- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Thank You, Cryptic......even when I don't agree with all your decisions....Thank You for Star Trek Online!
  • ducklesworthducklesworth Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Can you please, please, PLEASE stop forcing us to fly your latest ships in these missions? It's getting ridiculous.