test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Season 8 Dev Blog #42

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
edited January 2014 in Galactic News Network [PC]
Content Designer Sean "CommanderAnder" McCann shares details about the upcoming 4-Year Anniversary event in this entry of the Season 8 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the blog.
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    We're walking in sunshine~
  • Options
    johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So a new space set. Guess I'll actually be replaying this. I assume it will be to boost the anniversary ships just like y'all did for the obilesk.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    darkhaze666darkhaze666 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    sounds interesting enough...guess i'll play into it
  • Options
    walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    johngazman wrote: »

Looks like a cross between the ST:FC space suit and the ST:TMP uniform, don't you think?
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • Options
    mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Cool EV suit! Gonna be a busy month!
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • Options
    captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 923 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Why is he wearing a LOKI mech head? ;)

-K

PS: I know they're not identical. Pretty similar though.
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Very interesting read, and really cool that we get to "test drive" the ship before we get it. Also cool is the Dyson EV suit that could be awarded from the dailies. Really nice.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Gonna get me one of those ev suits, this looks to be a ton of fun.
  • Options
    kirimuffinkirimuffin Member Posts: 692 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Ooooh. I like what I'm seeing here.

And I still can't get over how cool the Dyson Science Destroyers look. I'm looking forward to seeing their stats!
  • Options
    dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Ah, so I was speculated right about the dhc and deflector being part of a set bonus...wonder what the third piece is...
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • Options
    johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    As mentioned, Qmendations are going to be used for our anniversary event reputation system. Captains can help Q coordinate his party in a quick daily mission on Starfleet Academy or the Klingon Academy to earn 40 Qmendations. There are also other prizes available to earn during the event, including special EV Suits in the Feature Episode, which will be revealed in tomorrow?s Dev Blog

As mentioned somewhere else by bluegeek, i'm very concerned that this "Quick Daily Mission" being mentioned is the obnoxious Party Patrol from last year. Hence, this quick daily mission is liable to be (essentially) a PvP game. It's bad enough it's a grind, but if it's going to be a PvP Grind you can pretty much count me out for participating in this years' festivities (and possibly even the game as a whole).

I'm pretty sure it's been said that there's going to be two ways to earn Qmendations - is it just Not-Party Patrol and the one-time-only batch from the FE?
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited January 2014
    dahminus wrote: »
    Ah, so I was speculated right about the dhc and deflector being part of a set bonus...wonder what the third piece is...

Almost! Not quite right ;) Partially right, so I'll still give you a gold star :cool: Stay tuned! Will be revealed tomorrow.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have a little question ! Those unique rewards.... are they specifically for the scistroyers or usable on any ship ?

And I suppose the rewards and the mission stay ingame after the anniversary event ?

:)
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Singularity Core, maybe.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 923 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This mission sounds exciting, and the EV suit looks well cool.

However, we're expected to grind out 1000 tokens for the ship on each of our characters, plus replay the mission three times to get the items on each of our characters.

This is a crazy amount of grind, and you run the risk of oversaturating the players and making them sick to death of the mission and the daily event by the time the anniversary event ends.

Might I suggest that you make each of the ships an account wide unlock - perhaps reclaimable like the 1000 day veteran ships? That way, we'll still have to collect 3000 tokens (one for each faction) which means that people will play the daily, plus run through the mission at least three times - and it'll avoid the players getting sick of the grind too.

-K
  • Options
    yuzralyuzral Member Posts: 160 Media Corps
    edited January 2014
    If this mission doesn't see us flying under a solar flare as per the Voyager intro, someone missed a trick :).
    Blatant self-promotion: Producer of the Delta Rising Tribble Timewarp, Foundry Frolics and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/Yuzral
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So, despite over 1000 posts in another thread, there have been no changes made to the grind part of this event whatsoever.

400 Q's, and a 15 day grind to follow, per toon, was what was trailed before the weekend.

Branflakes, you came to that thread and told us that Cryptic were listening, that they were looking for constructive feedback.

While there's always noise, constructive feedback is what you got.

And now............

.....no change whatsoever. Same grind that was leaked a few days ago, in its entirety.

I am very disappointed in Cryptic over this.

Perhaps a blog from the developers explaining why the feedback from the other thread was studies and discounted would be nice. I'd be fascinated to learn the thought process behind that.
  • Options
    suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It's the deflector and the warp/singularity core, with a 3rd piece being a reward from the FE. There's also supposedly a 4th part that will be introduced sometime in the future (*cough*Advanced Dyson Science Destroyers from the Lobi store?*cough*)

The stuff about the set comes from PriorityOne interview with Geko.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    So, despite over 1000 posts in another thread, there have been no changes made to the grind part of this event whatsoever.

400 Q's, and a 15 day grind to follow, per toon, was what was trailed before the weekend.

Branflakes, you came to that thread and told us that Cryptic were listening, that they were looking for constructive feedback.

And now............

.....no change whatsoever. Same grind that was leaked a few days ago, in its entirety.

Perhaps a blog from the developers explaining why the feedback from the other thread was studies and discounted would be nice. I'd be fascinated to learn the thought process behind that.

That 400 bonus on start doesn't count, eh? :confused:
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • Options
    mamif3mamif3 Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    We're walking in sunshine~

Wahooo ooohh oooooohhhh
  • Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Probably just a tribute to Daft Punk at the Grammys. :D
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Yeah I'm just not crazy about all that purple...

Jem hadar stuff okay that was canon but I think a purple klingon ship is kind of well insulting :P lol
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Could you please put an overprice-ticket on all the gear we can grind and put it into the Z-Store?

I would like to have the choice to either grind or pay an amount of Zen.

And no, I don't think it is pay to win.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The DHC isn't an item.

And now............

A few days isn't enough time to change something like that, I'd imagine.
  • Options
    wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited January 2014

And now............

Are u shocked there ignored the feed back there open up tribble to test stuff new missions then ignore bug reports. From the players e,g kdf costume slots which i n otthers reported ages ago.
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • Options
    cehuscehus Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Please tell me we'll be able to keep that costume :)
    Cehus.png
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Cryptic: It's time to put this grind...INTO OVERDRIVE! *VROOOOOOM!*
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    The DHC isn't an item.

So that dhc might be unique?

This may be a little too interesting