test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 8 Dev Blog #42

Comments

• bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Question... Will the three pieces of equipment we can get be usable on any ships other than the new Science Destroyers?
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    dahminus wrote: »
    That 400 bonus on start doesn't count, eh? :confused:

Nope, we knew that before the weekend.

There is a comparative calculation of how long it took to get the ship last year on six toons, compared to this year.

In previous years it came to 90 minutes, played whenever you like during the run of the vent.

This year, it'll be between 9 and 12 hours, depending on whether you replay the FE to get the rest of the set.

Additionally, because of the time gating, you can't play the time at your pace. Indeed, if you can't make 15 of the days the events run, you miss out.

While these new ships are wonderful and all, this is a pretty big change to the nature of the anniversary event.

A grind that will inevitable prevent some from getting the ships, when they could have done under previous years conditions, is not well thought through.
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    Perhaps a blog from the developers explaining why the feedback from the other thread was studies and discounted would be nice. I'd be fascinated to learn the thought process behind that.

I'd like to see this. This needs to be spammed into the next Pick A Blog Topic thread.
    orangeitis wrote: »
    A few days isn't enough time to change something like that, I'd imagine.

They've had plenty of time to deal with the feedback on how much we don't want more grinds. This shouldn't even have been suggested in the development stage.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm just wondering how much time they are going to try to milk this dyson stuff that is seemingly less and less trek the more they start moving away from what small part of it was actually in star trek.
  • sethpcsethpc Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So, despite over 1000 posts in another thread, there have been no changes made to the grind part of this event whatsoever.

400 Q's, and a 15 day grind to follow, per toon, was what was trailed before the weekend.

Branflakes, you came to that thread and told us that Cryptic were listening, that they were looking for constructive feedback.

While there's always noise, constructive feedback is what you got.

And now............

.....no change whatsoever. Same grind that was leaked a few days ago, in its entirety.

I am very disappointed in Cryptic over this.

Perhaps a blog from the developers explaining why the feedback from the other thread was studies and discounted would be nice. I'd be fascinated to learn the thought process behind that.

There's a huge difference between listening to player feedback and agreeing that changes should be made based upon said feedback. Some times, specific metrics can be pointed to which validate the design decision; other times, it's just because everyone involved in the design just agrees that's how it should be. Either way, the playerbase is not always right, even if there are thousand of posts (many of which will likely be from the same players).

I'm not pleased about it taking at least 15 days to earn one of the ships either, but the only way to know for sure if my displeasure is valid is to at least start trying to earn the ship and see if it really is too much of a grind.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    dahminus wrote: »
    So that dhc might be unique?

This may be a little too interesting
    No, I mean the anni ship's DHCs are integrated into the ship, and are unremovable.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Nope, we knew that before the weekend.

There is a comparative calculation of how long it took to get the ship last year on six toons, compared to this year.

In previous years it came to 90 minutes, played whenever you like during the run of the vent.

This year, it'll be between 9 and 12 hours, depending on whether you replay the FE to get the rest of the set.

Additionally, because of the time gating, you can't play the time at your pace. Indeed, if you can't make 15 of the days the events run, you miss out.

While these new ships are wonderful and all, this is a pretty big change to the nature of the anniversary event.

A grind that will inevitable prevent some from getting the ships, when they could have done under previous years conditions, is not well thought through.
    And how does that compare to the Breen ships that go for 1000 Q-pics? :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    johngazman wrote: »
    I'd like to see this. This needs to be spammed into the next Pick A Blog Topic thread.

They've had plenty of time to deal with the feedback on how much we don't want more grinds. This shouldn't even have been suggested in the development stage.

The more we complain the less they will talk.

We had this last year after LoR
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So you're saying you know how long development on something like that takes, and that if they did decide that it's worthy of change, they could have already changed it by now...?

You do know that they have to program all this months in advance, right? Any changes wouldn't happen over one weekend.
    edited January 2014
    The more we complain the less they will talk.

We had this last year after LoR

Their staunch refusal to respond to their bad decisions does not mean we should just go quietly into the night.
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited January 2014
    Updated information for the Q daily for Qmendations:

• "Convince 5 mini-Q's to come to the party"
    • Average time of completion in testing: 2-5 minutes to complete the entire "daily"
    • Each mini-Q has a chance to:
      • Turn into a creature you chase
      • A "3-card monte" type game, "the shell game"

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    • Average time of completion in testing: 2-5 minutes to complete the entire "daily"
    So it's not a mini-game of our choosing, but it's chance-based. I'm a bit disappointed, as chasing down the mini-Q is a matter of seconds, while the shell game takes about a minute or so and (afair) can be failed...
    PyKDqad.jpg
    edited January 2014
    Their staunch refusal to respond to their bad decisions does not mean we should just go quietly into the night.

Since a certain EP left STO the guys got pretty chatty, we should be carefull not to shy them away behind bushes :D
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited January 2014
    suaveks wrote: »
    So it's not a mini-game of our choosing, but it's chance-based. I'm a bit disappointed, as chasing down the mini-Q is a matter of seconds, while the shell game takes about a minute or so and (afair) can be failed...

Correct, that's the most up to date information, so I thought I would share it. Even with failing, and trying again, the average has been between 2-5 minutes.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    edited January 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    So you're saying you know how long development on something like that takes, and that if they did decide that it's worthy of change, they could have already changed it by now...?

You do know that they have to program all this months in advance, right? Any changes wouldn't happen over one weekend.

I'm well aware that this kind of thing doesn't happen overnight, it would take time.

The issue at hand? They've known for ages that we hate their Grinds. Part of Season 8 was specifically devoted to reducing the grindiness of the game.

And then they go and do this. For the 4th Anniversary, of all the times.
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    From what I've read/heard, Cryptic will be trying out a new gimmick this time around.

It sounds like they will be offering some kind of token that you can buy which will reduce or eliminate the daily cooldowns for certain things.

No details on how to get it or exactly how it will work. We'll have to wait for a Dev Blog about it for confirmation and information, I guess.

But it sounds like it would let people who are short on time get around the time gate, for a price. I'm not commending it, just commenting on it.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I love how everyone feels they need an explanation every time the developers do something in the game they don't like. If they spent all their time explaining everything nothing would get done. It's time to build a bridge and put your ego away... no one or handful of players is that important.

The long thread whining about the Q event consists of mostly reposts by the same half dozen who been raging throughout the forums about the same thing. I know 20% of the posts in that massive thread were from the same two people.

I don't care why they do what they do... Either I like it or I don't and I'll play it or I wont and move on, but berating the same old arguments and demanding explanations like a spoiled child is the wrong way to go about it. I specifically remember branflakes saying constructive feedback would be considered and read but as to the other not so much.

I think we can all agree we are happy to do whatever it takes to keep the lights on at STO. Lets give the things a try before we go hog wild complaining about something when we don't really have all the facts on yet.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
    edited January 2014
    Correct, that's the most up to date information, so I thought I would share it. Even with failing, and trying again, the average has been between 2-5 minutes.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

On practically empty Tribble Servers, though? That's not going to be nearly as accurate once it hits Holodeck

bluegeek wrote: »
    From what I've read/heard, Cryptic will be trying out a new gimmick this time around.

It sounds like they will be offering some kind of token that you can buy which will reduce or eliminate the daily cooldowns for certain things.

No details on how to get it or exactly how it will work. We'll have to wait for a Dev Blog about it for confirmation and information, I guess.

But it sounds like it would let people who are short on time get around the time gate, for a price. I'm not commending it, just commenting on it.

Dear God. It just gets worse. If it costs Zen or Lobi, i'm probably gonna...well, be very dissappointed and not overly surprised.
  • kantazo1kantazo1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Are you freaking kidding me?
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
  • talgeezetalgeeze Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Reminds me of the minigame that was used during 2-year anniversary (I think, might be wrong). Was so buggy that I don't think anyone I know who tried it had the luck of wining it. Despite all bugs reports and forum posts by the devs saying it was fixed, there were absolutely no change. It was basically a ghost event.

Hope it won't be this bad.
    edited January 2014
    On practically empty Tribble Servers, though? That's not going to be nearly as accurate once it hits Holodeck

Dear God. It just gets worse. If it costs Zen or Lobi, i'm probably gonna...well, be very dissappointed and not overly surprised.
    Meh, it's optional. You don't HAVE to use it, unless you want to do it again today...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This. Once ~20 people start chasing down a bunch of Q's right from each other's noses then it's not only gonna get longer, but will also add to the overall frustration.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • shurato2099shurato2099 Member Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited January 2014

According to some pics I've seen from Tribble, it's a C-Store purchase.
    edited January 2014
    talgeeze wrote: »
    Reminds me of the minigame that was used during 2-year anniversary (I think, might be wrong). Was so buggy that I don't think anyone I know who tried it had the luck of wining it. Despite all bugs reports and forum posts by the devs saying it was fixed, there were absolutely no change. It was basically a ghost event.

Hope it won't be this bad.
    *no idea what you're talking about*

And I was there..... Thus I conclude that your post is a gross exaggeration.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

2-5 minutes on a test server?

Well, given the upper limit of instances, academy is likely to be crowded, so there's going to be more competition for each minigame, exactly as there was last year, only much much more.

This will inevitably lead to situations where people feel there is queue jumping going on, leading to the same sort of anooyance that queue jumping created in the WW race.

It's going to add time.

And, I assume, you started at the academy.

So, for 15 days your toon doesnt do much else, or you have to factor in travel time. Probably at least three loading screens worth, sector to earth to academy.

I think, once this goes live, 2-5 is very optimistic. A more realistic estimate would be 5-10, with the proviso that, again just as in the WW, this can be 20 minutes or so for a minority.
    edited January 2014
    I am lready lost by the amount of different tasks, games, grindings, tokens, points, commendations, reputations... we have to do to get items.

I know it is about keeping players engaged but I have lost track.. and my interest.

The Z-Store didn't get a lot of stuff added because nearly every new thing is mostly in reputations.

There are reputation consoles available I haven't even heard of before.

It would be nice to somehow have the Zen Store an important Store again, and not just for the ship of the month or additional slots for whatever.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm just wondering how much time they are going to try to milk this dyson stuff that is seemingly less and less trek the more they start moving away from what small part of it was actually in star trek.

You know, I'm wondering the same thing a lot lately.

On a lighter note, I'm so pleased to be completely happy with my normal ST ships, so I won't be participating in the grindathlon. I'll just play the FE, for fun. Fun Cryptic, ya' know? ;)
    Chasing mini Qs....LMAO!! :D I came here to play Star Trek, not chase mini Qs for 15 days. :P
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Please be a costume unlock, please be a costume unlock, please be a costume unlock...
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • odstparker#7820 odstparker Member Posts: 466 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Dyson Sphere hybrid Destroyers...

Dyson Sphere EV suits...

ADMIRAL Tuvok...

But most importantly... I CAN FLY MY JET PACK AGAIN!!
  • kantazo1kantazo1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    You know, I'm wondering the same thing a lot lately.

On a lighter note, I'm so pleased to be completely happy with my normal ST ships, so I won't be participating in the grindathlon. I'll just play the FE, for fun. Fun Cryptic, ya' know? ;)
    Chasing mini Qs....LMAO!! :D I came here to play Star Trek, not chase mini Qs for 15 days. :P

Indeed, I have maybe 1-2 hours to play 3 times a week and just doing the New Romulus tasks to get marks consumes almost all the time I have available.
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua