test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tuvok in sto are you happy or disappointed?

Comments

• adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    I'm super excited. IMO there is no downside to getting more Trek actors involved. I hope we can get some DS9 folks next.

I think Quark has been long overdue, He should visit his old establishment sometime
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    adverbero wrote: »
    I think Quark has been long overdue, He should visit his old establishment sometime

I would be great if they had Quark and Odo together again!
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited January 2014
    adverbero wrote: »

We should catch him in the middle of selling weapons to the Romulan Republic and the Tal Shiar at the same time!
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited January 2014
    I couldn't be more excited, honestly. He's incredible.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    protogoth wrote: »
    Exactly. I just don't get how people can be "disappointed" over this. It makes no sense and is frankly offensive.

Offensive is OP, plz nerf.
  • wolverine595959wolverine595959 Member Posts: 726
    edited January 2014
    I know the borged are little played out but a story with 6 of 9 and Jeri ryan would have been more appealing. I always found Tuvok too vulcan to the point of I wished he never talked.
    Hey I Used to be Captain Data, well I guess I still am in game but the account link really screwed everything up :rolleyes:
  • adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    oh and if i hadn't already mentioned it, Yes i am excited for Tim Russ reprising his role, But also because he's a Spaceball and i have foundry ideas , Ludicrous speed!!!!
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Tuvok was one of my least favorite Star Trek characters ever.

That having been said: having talent from the show is great, and Tim Russ seems like a legit guy who cares about the franchise. So I'm glad to see him aboard.
  • kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I for one am glad to see more faces from the shows period, Was hoping for Brent though (Data).. Would have been nice to know what ever happened to the E..
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I know the borged are little played out but a story with 6 of 9 and Jeri ryan would have been more appealing. I always found Tuvok too vulcan to the point of I wished he never talked.

Seven. Seven of Nine, not Six of Nine. :P

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    dalolorn wrote: »
    Seven. Seven of Nine, not Six of Nine. :P

No, I think Wolv meant exactly what was typed <_<
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • direphoenixdirephoenix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I am not surprised that Tuvok is an Admiral. I am surprised that as an Admiral*, Tuvok has taken command of Voyager, a ship which I would have imagined would have been turned into a museum ship upon its return to Earth, and by the time of STO should definitely be too old for service and an illogical choice for an Admiral to choose as a flagship.

*EDIT: Okay, I am surprised that Tuvok is only a one-pip Rear Admiral (lower half). In at least 30 years (voyager returned to Earth at some point before ST: Nemesis, which is around 30 years before whenever STO is supposed to take place), he has only advanced from Commander to RADM lower half, when we as player go from Ensign to Vice Admiral in a couple months (or since the in-universe time has all events in the game still taking place within the same year, within less than a year)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
  • supremeheretic36supremeheretic36 Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm very happy and excited both. Tim Russ wholeheartedly believes in Star Trek and at least another iconic Star Trek character like Tuvok being in game will give the players who are here playing still because of the IP we love, some really enjoyable Star Trek content.

After the game arguably veered off into the "jump the shark" territory with the Voth stuff and what not, this is something that's very welcome right after we got some really enjoyable Klingon experiences with Michael Dorn and his Worf portrayal. I can't wait! :D
    Lifetime subber and former STO player from when it didn't suck.

Fed: Astarsha, level 60 tactical officer

KDF: K'tana level 54 tactical officer
  • protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited January 2014

6 of 9? What is this, some odd hybrid of Tricia Helfer and Jeri Ryan?
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm happy to hear Tim Russ's back.

I'd LOVE to have Suzy Plakston too. :D Her take on being a Q was great.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Throw in 6 of 1 from Tripping the Rift, and you've got the makings of some hot video there. ;)
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited January 2014
    I'm just thanking the Almighty it wasn't Neelix.

Yes, PLEASE.
  • protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm happy to hear Tim Russ's back.

I'd LOVE to have Suzy Plakston too. :D Her take on being a Q was great.

Suzie Plakson is just a fantastic actress overall. Loved her as the female Q and Dr. Selar, as well as K'Ehleyr.
  • maiewskimaiewski Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Someone get their agents on the phone, STAT! We got an idea here!
    I am not surprised that Tuvok is an Admiral. I am surprised that as an Admiral*, Tuvok has taken command of Voyager, a ship which I would have imagined would have been turned into a museum ship upon its return to Earth, and by the time of STO should definitely be too old for service and an illogical choice for an Admiral to choose as a flagship.

Maybe it's the Voyager-A. New Intrepid Science Vessel, old name. Not like there isn't precedence for it.
    *EDIT: Okay, I am surprised that Tuvok is only a one-pip Rear Admiral (lower half). In at least 30 years (voyager returned to Earth at some point before ST: Nemesis, which is around 30 years before whenever STO is supposed to take place), he has only advanced from Commander to RADM lower half, when we as player go from Ensign to Vice Admiral in a couple months (or since the in-universe time has all events in the game still taking place within the same year, within less than a year)

Now you're just blurring game mechanics with in-universe mechanics. There is no way in hell someone would go from Ensign to Vice Admiral within a year, no way for all those Vice Admirals to exist at the same time within the Military Structure of Starfleet, and no way we'd all be commanding starships.

The rank advancement system is a measured and cool way to track your level progress, and stuff like "real time rank advancement" is tossed out the window to facilitate the game exprience. Meanwhile, the NPCs who are involved in the story advance rank at a more traditional rate.

Tuvok may have gone from Lt. Commander to Rear-Admrial in a much shorter time frame than 30 years and his advancement leveled off there. The military doesn't promote someone just based on age or seniority, but also on performance, skills, the job best suited for them and the rank they need to do it. RALH might be the rank that he's at because it allows him the authority he needs to fulfill his role (whatever that is, we'll find out in a week).
    DarthGM, GM Phil, Admiral Kavalon, et al

Currently cruising the Pi Canis Sector Block...
  • zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I am pleased its Russ, he is an awesome actor in his own right and Tuvok was one of the characters VOY didn't manage to ruin.

Plus id take Tuvok any day over the space hedgehog or Captain nut job. (No slight to the actors, Phillips and Mulgrew are both awesome, they just had terribly written characters in VOY). Maybe they can add in a bonus as part of the FE with Tuvok this time strangling the real Neelix.
  • jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    azniadeet wrote: »
    Tuvok was one of my least favorite Star Trek characters ever.

That having been said: having talent from the show is great, and Tim Russ seems like a legit guy who cares about the franchise. So I'm glad to see him aboard.

I like Tuvok fine, but he's not exactly what I'd call a deep character - Voyager was never good with character development outside of Seven and The Doctor.

But I don't understand how anyone could be "disappointed" by his inclusion.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited January 2014
    zipagat wrote: »
    I am pleased its Russ, he is an awesome actor in his own right and Tuvok was one of the characters VOY didn't manage to ruin.

Plus id take Tuvok any day over the space hedgehog or Captain nut job. (No slight to the actors, Phillips and Mulgrew are both awesome, they just had terribly written characters in VOY). Maybe they can add in a bonus as part of the FE with Tuvok this time strangling the real Neelix.

well, I don't know about "ruined" but they had that whole "magic transporter" event that created Tuvix. gag.

I agree the actors were great, the characters poorly written. Which is why I'd like to see Neelix in game. Get some game lore writers to hear what people disliked about Neelix, then present him as aged, wiser, and more mature from his decades settled down. Give Phillips a chance to do something good with the character.

Frankly, Tuvok and Russ are fine, but then I'd be interested in the reappearance of most any character. I'd be fine if they brought in the "Borg kids" and showed them in a more mature, responsible role as adults. (Yes I'm aware Icheb is alread in-game as an NPC) Basically, STO can be a corrective measure as well as just a story-telling device.
  • revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I always thought that Tuvok was one of the stronger characters in the (IMO) by far weakest Star Trek series.

I might have been a bit disappointed if it would be Jar Jar Binks.... ahh... I mean Neelix... but even that would be ok since it still helps the more and more lacking immersion that this takes place in the Star Trek universe.....
  • omegaphallicomegaphallic Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Voyager has most likely been upgraded to Fleet Intepid and there for worthy of an Admiral.

I actually didn't like Voyager or Enterprise at first, but now I love them both dearly. I guess when you've been starved for a Startrek series for this long, you love learn to forgive the small things and just endolge in the parts you like.
    edited January 2014
    I agree the actors were great, the characters poorly written. Which is why I'd like to see Neelix in game. Get some game lore writers to hear what people disliked about Neelix, then present him as aged, wiser, and more mature from his decades settled down. Give Phillips a chance to do something good with the character.

I think Neelix would make a lot of sense; he could slip right back into his role as Guide to the Delta Quadrant (but do a better job this time).

Phillips is a good actor, as you say, and the character need only be as annoying as he's written to be.
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • omegaphallicomegaphallic Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Am I the only one that loved Nelix? One of my favourite Male characters in Startrek.
    edited January 2014
    I am surprised that as an Admiral*, Tuvok has taken command of Voyager, a ship which I would have imagined would have been turned into a museum ship upon its return to Earth, and by the time of STO should definitely be too old for service and an illogical choice for an Admiral to choose as a flagship.

When you have a ship that can take ludicrous amounts of enemy fire without sustaining a scratch, unlimited photon torpedoes, and a shuttlebay that's crossed with a Bag of Holding, you don't decommission it. Ever. :P

In seriousness, it's definitely not "too old for service." It was launched in 2371, so it's just about 40 years old. With regular upgrades, Starfleet ships are intended to last at least twice that (I'm using the TNG technical manual as the source on this).
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    so far the ingame tuvok looks nothing like the real deal. thats not a good sign.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I am happy to see Tim Russ in STO, though not exactly impressed that he's wearing an older uniform and that he seemingly hasn't aged.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,181 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    flash525 wrote: »
    I am happy to see Tim Russ in STO, though not exactly impressed that he's wearing an older uniform and that he seemingly hasn't aged.

There's another thread under The Art of STO subforum currently debating his uniform. Keep safe