test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tuvok in sto are you happy or disappointed?

Comments

• lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,865 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I can't complain.....
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    First off, I'm just happy that they got ANY actor from ANY Trek show, so I won't be one of those that "complain" that it's Tim Russ, that seems a bit ... ungrateful ...

And I always liked Tuvok, even though It's hard to "love" a Vulcan character, because of the nature of the role they play, but I think Tim Russ did a wonderful job of making Tuvok someone we could all like and respect, and even, for some, love.

From a story point of view, it would be hard to come up with a convincing story behind how some of the characters people are suggesting would even still be alive! It's what 60+ years since Voyager came home? And some of the characters weren't spring chickens to start with ...

Having said that, Seven of Nine might still be alive, due to her Borg physiology, so, Yep, I'll be one of "those" people that would really ... like ... to see Jeri Ryan do a VO ...

B'Elanna? Maybe her Klingon blood would give her more longevity, so Roxann Dawson might be a possibility, but then, could you really have B'Elanna without Tom Paris?

Data, or more correctly B-4, could conceivably still be around, so Brent Spinner would also be an option ...

Hmmm ... Kes? She could be written in I'm sure (isn't she some sort of 'demigod' now?) ... Quark? How long do Ferengi live anyway? T'Pol? Would she still be alive? (I didn't see all of the Enterprise series, so don't know if that's an option)

Just please PLEASE ... NEVER allow Nelix to make an appearance ...
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    bendalek wrote: »
    Just please PLEASE ... NEVER allow Nelix to make an appearance ...

He's doing a VO for chef crafting and for the new qued event where you have to help the borg purge talaxian drones from the collective.

Edit: I do hope there is something in the works for their Star Trek Renegades D7 to be available for the KDF :D
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    bendalek wrote: »
    From a story point of view, it would be hard to come up with a convincing story behind how some of the characters people are suggesting would even still be alive! It's what 60+ years since Voyager came home? And some of the characters weren't spring chickens to start with

It's not that long. STO is Nemesis roughly plus 40 so (I'm not going to look up the exact chronology) say 45 years or so after voyager came home. That pretty much puts us around the same date (plus or minus a few years) as the alternate future timeline presented in End Game (see. Miral Paris in STO and in that episode.)

And besides, what's the average life expectancy for humans in the federation? Bones made a cameo in TNG, remember. If Cryptic wanted to (and I'm not really suggesting this, just using it to demonstrate a point) they could probably bring in Simon Pegg to do Scotty...
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • trickster34trickster34 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I personally am very happy that Tim Russ is reprising Tuvok in STO. :)
  • killdozer9211killdozer9211 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Very excited, he and Combs were my top 2 requests for VO talent to be added to the game. 1 down, one to go.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Very excited, he and Combs were my top 2 requests for VO talent to be added to the game. 1 down, one to go.

Damn, think if they got Combs in to do a VO replacement for Captain Shon? That'd be a handy way for them to fix a small part of the shattered dreams of the canceled fifth season of Enterprise. Or if nothing else they could simply have him in to do the next feature episode series' villain character?

I'd certainly support THAT as for season 9/10. :)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I rather like Tuvok. Elite Force left me with a certain fondness for him, and he does have a pretty good voice. Always nice to have voice acting in STO. Except for T'Nae, she's just weird.
  • thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I like Tuvok, but it would've been cool to see The Doctor.
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
  • mailman650mailman650 Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Seeing the officially released screenshots and realizing that we're not getting an updated Intrepid bridge is....:(

As for Tuvok himself, I thought he was a good character in VOY. Who I didn't like much was Kim from the early seasons, too eager to please everyone. But overall, I liked the whole cast.
  • lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    uss917019 wrote: »
    I am actually disappointed. First of all we don't know if tuvok is an admiral 2nd in what universe does someone has a voyager uniform with a 2409 badge. 3rd Star Trek renegades is coming up, now I don't know if cryptic would do this is if Star Trek Online follows the timeline then It should be related to both but in the trailers of renegades they haven't mention that tuvok was in starfleet.

This is my opinion about the things I have heard from now.

Can people get over the uniform? It is STO you are allowed to wear any combination of uniform you want.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Can people get over the uniform? It is STO you are allowed to wear any combination of uniform you want.

sarcasm here but........but........but......... it dont fit in with my immersion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited January 2014
    jumpingjs wrote: »
    Woah ... woah ...

No means good? Voyager is excellent ... (not the best) ... and HEY! What is your beef with Enterprise, it is pretty decent!

Just rewatched Voyager last year. Lots of bland or clunky episodes a few real gems (The one with the doctor having a romance with the Vidiian scientist is one of the best Trek episodes ever, I also really like the Vaaduar). Needed more continuity to make it feel like there was something at stake. The writers ruined Janeway and Chakotay. It was the show I watched when I got home from high school as a rerun. As of right now I do like Enterprise better but I haven't watched Enterprise in a while.
    edited January 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »
    sarcasm here but........but........but......... it dont fit in with my immersion

:) Just pray Tuvok is not in a pepto bismol pink uniform with a medal of Tenagra badge Enterprise pants and baby blue boots.
  • cptshephardcptshephard Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Honestly my first choice would have been Kate Mulgrew. I also realize that it's not a realistic expectation. I (spoiler alert) never really liked that Janeway was killed off in the Expanded Universe (novels). Second choice? Jeri Ryan, but since we're dealing with Voth and not Borg it really doesn't make much sense to involve Seven. So all in all having Tim Russ join the party is pretty cool! Tuvok wasn't my favorite Voyager character but I don't have anything against him.

The honor of being my least favorite Voyager character falls to Harry Kim. I feel a little twinge of guilt at saying that because I've heard Garrett Wang is incredibly nice and it's amazing to meet him in person. I don't feel any ill will toward him at all, nor do I want to slight his acting ability. I just really didn't like how Harry was written sometimes. It seemed like every time something might happen where he could grow as a character they kicked him back to the post of "annoying ensign who whines everytime things don't go his way."

I mean really, lots of other characters got to grow. Heck, Tom Paris gained and lost rank in that show at a speed that Kirk would have been proud of.
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Very happy.

I like Tuvok and Tim Russ in general. I would have preferred the Doctor or maybe Seven, but it could have been worse if we had Neelix or Chakotay.
  • alexvio1alexvio1 Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I hate Janeway even more than Neelix. Tuvok is OK.
  • hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Indifferent. I hate to say it, but for me at least, the last two voice overs didn't really add much more to the game.

Crosby's voice acting felt kind of flat and off, which I can't blame her for, as its been so long for her. Dorn felt kind of shoehorned into a story that would have fit better with Data, or Geordi, at least to me.
  • weirdtrekie30weirdtrekie30 Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    alexvio1 wrote: »
    I hate Janeway even more than Neelix. Tuvok is OK.

Nooo! I won't have that! I grew up without a mother and I modeled my morals on Janeway, she was like a mother figure to me - I've met Kate Mulgrew, she's lovely and warm and fantastic to talk to.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, though, and I respect yours. I just have to agree to disagree.
    Admiral Tuwud - High Commissioner, UFP Peace Corps Sigma Red
    logo%203.jpg?gid=272661&source=asset
  • tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Nooo! I won't have that! I grew up without a mother and I modeled my morals on Janeway, she was like a mother figure to me - I've met Kate Mulgrew, she's lovely and warm and fantastic to talk to.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, though, and I respect yours. I just have to agree to disagree.

main reason i like kate... i was born and grew up in the same city she did. While i wasn't the biggest Voy fan (mainly watched DS9 during the time, so only really caught the last few seasons) I thought a woman Captain was a nice change.

now back on topic. I dont mind it was tuvok who came in, more trek Actors is a plus.
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    hravik wrote: »
    Dorn felt kind of shoehorned into a story that would have fit better with Data, or Geordi, at least to me.

I'll say it again:

I'm playing around in Fallout: New Vegas a bit, and watching DS9 through beginning to end.

Someone needed to remind Dorn that this was Star Trek and he was doing Worf but apparently they didn't, so I keep going through Sphere of Influence expecting him to look like Marcus since he sounds exactly like Marcus rather than Worf. Now sure, Dorn voiced both- but they don't sound alike, and this last stint as Worf didn't sound like Worf.
  • tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I hope he puts more into his STO appearance than he did during that interview.Always liked him in Voyager,way to much of Tuvoks lack of personality,not Tim Russ' going on.
    Underwelming doesn't do it justice... :(
  • skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Meh, I'm not a fan of star voiceovers. If anything it detracts from what we should be focusing in, ie: the game.

Look at Sphere of Influence. The best part was not Dorn's voice, or Worf's appearance, it was the little bits of information spread about in the platform obelisks.

Same with Temporal Ambassador. The best part was not Crosby, it was the mission having a genuine trek feel to it. I don't feel it was due to Crosby's appearance, but rather the way the mission was structured. How often have we gotten such a feel for anything in STO these last few years?
  • lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    uss917019 wrote: »
    I am actually disappointed. First of all we don't know if tuvok is an admiral 2nd in what universe does someone has a voyager uniform with a 2409 badge. 3rd Star Trek renegades is coming up, now I don't know if cryptic would do this is if Star Trek Online follows the timeline then It should be related to both but in the trailers of renegades they haven't mention that tuvok was in starfleet.

This is my opinion about the things I have heard from now.

It's all promotion material for marketing the STO Anniversary. Think of it in terms of Booth Babes like some companies do at conventions. It's something to draw your attention to the company, but the Booth Babes have nothing or very little to do with what they are promoting.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm fine with the idea of Tuvok in STO gameplay, and not one of the more annoying VOY characters. Tuvok was one of the more decent ones from that abysmal show. Hell, we see him in Star Trek Generations with the old school Starfleet.

I just want a more lively voice acting job from Tim Russ for a respectable amount of content. Denise Crosby's was kind of "meh" in her liveliness.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • ggg247ggg247 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Tuvok works for me in the game.

I just hope this FE is a LOT better than the Worf one. I ran that one on all 13 of my alts and was bored all 13 times. What a waste of time. Lots of talk and running around, very little else.

By the way, the "correct" order of show quality is this:

TNG > TOS > VOY >.............DS9 > ...........ENT

Captains:

Kirk > Janeway > Picard > .......Archer > ................................sisko

:)
  • jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I grew up without a mother and I modeled my morals on Janeway...

You modeled your morals on the woman who murdered Tuvix, tried to develop weapons for the Borg, and attempted to torture a member of the U.S.S. Equinox's crew for information? :eek: I hope I don't run into you in a dark alley...

I kid, of course. As you said, to each their own... :)
    ggg247 wrote: »
    I just hope this FE is a LOT better than the Worf one. I ran that one on all 13 of my alts and was bored all 13 times. What a waste of time. Lots of talk and running around, very little else.
    Compare this statement to those made by all the players who want more non-combat content. :P
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm fine with the idea of Tuvok in STO gameplay, and not one of the more annoying VOY characters. Tuvok was one of the more decent ones from that abysmal show. Hell, we see him in Star Trek Generations with the old school Starfleet.

I just want a more lively voice acting job from Tim Russ for a respectable amount of content. Denise Crosby's was kind of "meh" in her liveliness.

Tim Russ was in Generations but that was not Tuvok.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Janeway was awesome. Kate Mulgrew is awesome. Voyager's consistency in the writing? Not so much.

Also, notice that no one calls Picard a psycho for his horrible character writing during the first three years of TNG or point out that Archer was an TRIBBLE of great magnitude that shouldn't be in charge of an Arby's let alone a starship for four seasons? I'm not saying the typical Trek fanboy sexism is to blame for this... Okay, I am.

Back to the OP: Tuvok is the only reason I'm reinstalling the game today.
    <3
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,181 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    darakoss wrote: »
    Tim Russ was in Generations but that was not Tuvok.

He did however audition for the role of Geordi. He was in TNG as a mercenary - Devor. He also played a Klingon in DS9 named T'Kar.