test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tuvok in sto are you happy or disappointed?

r24681012r24681012 Member Posts: 172 Arc User
when i heard tim russ was going to do a voice over for tuvok in sto i was disappointed not becuase its tim russ i like him hes a good actor but because i never really liked tuvok in voyager i found him annoying as hell what do you guys think and how tuvok is a admiral he should be captain of uss voyager your thoughs guys
Post edited by r24681012 on

Comments

• kantazo1kantazo1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I always liked Tuvok, so I am glad he is in. Now if we could get the other chick, hmmmm :D
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I think there is already a thread discussing this...

But meh... the more the merrier, right?

IMO: You can't have something that is fun, without having something that's annoying too...

If Tuvok annoys you, be happy about it... That will make the gratification with completing whatever 5 minute mission he is in charge of better.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • immudzenimmudzen Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It would be most illogical to be happy or sad about this event. It exists and we will learn from it.

:)
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    On Tim Russ:

He's cool, he loves Trek, I like him. Great to have him on board.

On Tuvok:

Not my fave, but better than Neelix and Kes. So sort of in the middle. One of my favorite Voyager characters, after the Doctor and Seven (hey, I'm a dude. Some things are instinctive).

So overall, a good choice. Sir Patrick Stewart or Robert Picardo or George Takei would've been better IMO, but they also would've been more expensive. So overall, best affordable option
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,181 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I think the best answer to the question is .... Without having played the FE it is hard to make any formal constructive comment. Happy yes, any iconic ST character making an appeareance in STO is a bonus. Disappointed, I'll reserve judgement until I play the FE.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I am happy. He was one of my favourite characters from Voyager :)
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• dixoniumdixonium Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Happy. This is good news! We should celebrate. There's no reason for disappointment.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    cant say one way or the other and same it was for Dorn. their appearances on star trek is one thing but their voice acting in sto is a different thing because 10-15 years have passed since, clearly with russ involved in renegades, its possible he may not of lost it, but thats not the same as confirming he has gotten better until his role on STO is revealed.

since dorn had his part, he was wooden at first on SOI and anything after to add voice overs in the early part of the kdf chapter, it got better but still came off as wooden.

it depends what Russ brings as a voice over to his character in game.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    id much rather have janeway.
  • cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Vulcans are great for voice work because they aren't supposed to show a lot of emotion. I bet the age or distance from the role won't affect him much.

I don't understand why they put him in Voyager though, that ship should be in a museum for what it accomplished. In Janeways alternate future they did put it on display.
  • momawmomaw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Eh. I'm indifferent. I have no objections to Tim Russ as an actor or as a person, but Tuvok just wasn't very interesting to me.

Now, Jeri Ryan or Robert Picardo--!
  • protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    What the ... Never mind. I'm happy, of course.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    cidstorm wrote: »
    I bet the age or distance from the role won't affect him much

watch Star Trek: Of Gods and Men get back to me
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited January 2014
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Tuvok in sto are you happy or disappointed

I'm utterly indifferent. -shrug-

I just hope he actually sounds like Tuvok. Sphere of Influence rather disappointed me, as Michael Dorn didn't sound like Worf but more like he was doing Marcus from Fallout 2/Fallout: New Vegas.
  • comtedeloach2comtedeloach2 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Any original actor doing voiceovers is a good thing.
  • dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Tuvok was one of my favorite characters on Voyager. And Tim Russ seems to really be into Star Trek outside of Voyager. Looking forward to it.
  • protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Exactly. I just don't get how people can be "disappointed" over this. It makes no sense and is frankly offensive.
  • kyuzos7kyuzos7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    tbh i didn't like tuvok at first but he grew on me.

but i am glad he chose to replay his role in a video game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Delighted. He was one of my first choices, but even if he wasn't, it seems ungrateful to whine about it not being someone else.
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It should have been Quark. And after completing the quest he hands you a tactical Galaxy class made of gold pressed latinum with a hanger bay capable of launching tier 5 Constitutions.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,438 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It's cool. I was kind of hoping for Wesley Crusher... :)

(Yeah, I know, he wasn't on VOY - but as the Traveler's understudy, he can be anywhere, right?)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • vamankvamank Member Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Personally I am happy he is coming to the STO universe and I am grateful that Cryptic is showing strong dedication to the game.
    Admiral%20sig%202.png
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    vamank wrote: »
    Personally I am happy he is coming to the STO universe and I am grateful that Cryptic is showing strong dedication to the game.

strong dedication to the game would be to keep the lock box TRIBBLE out of it, enemy faction ships? yeah... whatever you stated. but thats another topic entirely.

i thought it would of been Beltran to be honest, it seemed the most logical move to make on the storyline half of things.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm utterly indifferent. -shrug-

I just hope he actually sounds like Tuvok. Sphere of Influence rather disappointed me, as Michael Dorn didn't sound like Worf but more like he was doing Marcus from Fallout 2/Fallout: New Vegas.

now i remember who it reminded me of , how could i forget he played Marcus
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited January 2014
    I'm super excited. IMO there is no downside to getting more Trek actors involved. I hope we can get some DS9 folks next.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    eazzie wrote: »
    I think the best answer to the question is .... Without having played the FE it is hard to make any formal constructive comment. Happy yes, any iconic ST character making an appeareance in STO is a bonus. Disappointed, I'll reserve judgement until I play the FE.

I thought his performance in Voyager was one of the best things about that show. Chakotay was written into a corner as a wooden indian stereotype. Janeway was limited to being a Katherine Hepburn impersonator and Tuvok was a spot on Vulcan with some nice little nuances to the performance such as him admitting he missed his children and even showing a bit of that fatherly side, something you don't see.

As far as STO, lets hope they use a better mic than the one used to record Mike Dorn. I think it could be even better if they had 2 guest stars. Having 2actors bounce off of one another could be a lot more fun.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited January 2014

This, pretty much. And Tuvok isn't a bad character, either. He just suffered from Voyagers horrible writing, but all the other roles suffered from that as well (for isntance each character had to be "intorduced" for each episode ("I'm a Vulcan, I don't..." - "I'm Borg, I blabla") since Brannon Braga didn't want Voyager to have a consistent story arc but wanted each episode to work on its own. As in "was written for people who never watched Star Trek before".)

Two things about Tuvok in STO aren't quite to my liking. The first being that STOs writing isn't much better than Voyagers :D And the second is, at least in the promo videos, why for the love of SPOCK does Tuvok still wear his old Voyager uniform? And why does his crew, of course, wear a completely different set of uniforms? (Yes, plural). Please, Cryptic, get your stuff together. Provide us at least with SOME consistency.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Provide us at least with SOME consistency.

That's where the grind comes in.
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,181 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I thought his performance in Voyager was one of the best things about that show. Chakotay was written into a corner as a wooden indian stereotype. Janeway was limited to being a Katherine Hepburn impersonator and Tuvok was a spot on Vulcan with some nice little nuances to the performance such as him admitting he missed his children and even showing a bit of that fatherly side, something you don't see.

As far as STO, lets hope they use a better mic than the one used to record Mike Dorn. I think it could be even better if they had 2 guest stars. Having 2actors bounce off of one another could be a lot more fun.

I too loved Tuvok in the show especially when Neelix was buzzing around him like an annoying mosquito. You are right he was spot on as a Vulcan, he had alot of underlying tendancies of Spock.

Again as for his performance in the FE until I have actually played it I am reserving opinion, although I know I won't be disappointed, but in order to make a fair comment I need to see, play, and hear first