Install Arc
Options

Season 8 Dev Blog #35

Comments

• Options
    oldschooldorkoldschooldork Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It all sounds good, except...

"Re-Envisioning the hourly event calendar". Translation---"We feel people have been getting too many marks and too much dilithium so we are nerfing the bonus mark event and the dilithium event, possibly the Academy event. We may, or may not, offer a bonus mark daily, that you can use to run ONE mission for Bonus marks. We may, or may not, offer a bonus dilithium mission, only available on weekends, and only playable ONCE during the weekend."

I would love very much to be proven wrong, but.....
    AGpDi8m.gif
    I don't care what the header says, I am not now, nor have I ever been, nor will I ever be, an "ARC user".
  • Options
    briggers810briggers810 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    franc275 wrote: »
    Well don't we already imagine all of our ships already reside at ESD, DS9, Romulan Command, and the various other places that have a ship selector at any time we want them.

If you're into RP - lets go with this line of imagination.

All of your ships are now housed in your Fleet's starbase (just pretent you have a starbase of your own, if not then pretent ESD is your home starbase (FED or Rom Fed only) etc.
    You're in the middle of a quadrant, and suddenly need another ship. You hail (space subcom, etc.) your starbase "Begin Transmission: Captain Raymond to Commander Blozdel. Commander Blozdel here sir. I'm heading into Voth Space, can you transwarp to the nearest available place and pilot the "insert ship here" to my coordinates immediately. yes sir, right away End Transmission.

Now STO is a game, and the space time continuum is not set in our own reality - so the above scenario is emulated by the click of the READY STARSHIP button. - Sounds pretty cool and convenient to me.
    I'm liking this RP idea of it, just not overly keen on the idea of swappable ships as I've done all mine with the point of U.S.S. Newmarche, U.S.S. Newmarche-A, -> E...
    hanover2 wrote: »
    Doohan would be the obvious choice for a Dyson related story line, but since he is no longer with us, Scotty did work closely with LaForge in that episode...
    I think Captain LaForge would be a good choice, TNG wise (since we've already had Wolf, and I doubt Picard or Crusher would be interested)...
    I'm also thinking Riker and Troi might be possiblities, in the USS Titan.
    It could even be Wil Wheaton. :P
    If it's more to do with some Delta Quadrant location, with the presence of a sphere being incidental to the story, a member of the Voyager crew might be a plausible choice. In which case I would vote for Tim Russ or Robert Picardo. Both Tuvok and the EMH could easily be around in this later era.
    I think Tim Russ/Tuvok would be a good choice, since he's been in other Star Trek things (Tuvok in Renegades)...
    Although I think Garrett Wang/Kim from Voyager is a possibility, since they already have the character (Admiral Kim - on one of the starbases you visit)...
  • Options
    ngonorrheangonorrhea Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ltsmith wrote: »
    Welp time to buy some more ship slots and this new "set system" for different ship builds sounds amazing I cannot wait for that feature. Although I'm confused a little bit with the blog with what it said is it possible to change starship while in sector space if so I could really care less about it; I believe it made more sense traveling to a starbase to change starships.

Why would you need to buy more ship slots? It says near the end of the blog that they're increasing the amount of slots available......
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2014
    "Our data showed that few of these events were being played often, and so we are re-envisioning the hourly events as weekend-long events with better rewards. Additionally, a small selection of the existing hourly events are being turned into Daily missions ? we?ll provide more information on this soon."

Can you please leave something up during weekdays more than just a single daily mission? I know I'm on the minority, but I can't play on weekends. Right now I'm grinding fleet marks every time the 3 hour event comes up because my new toon needs fleet equipment. If you take away the events during weekdays, it will take me double the time.

It also sucks for leveling up. I'm guessing now you'll have whole weekends of extra experience I won't be able to participate in. For this last toon, I just waited for mirror invasion each day and played it for the whole hour non-stop, even after it reached level 50 because the reputations drain a lot of experience.

Also, and completely separately, where is the whole sci ship revamp you were thinking of implementing. Engineers got their fancy commands, tacs have their massive DPS (and now you add raiders damage bonus), and sci ships have been left as-is.
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ngonorrhea wrote: »
    Why would you need to buy more ship slots? It says near the end of the blog that they're increasing the amount of slots available......

It could mean they're upping the max limit of ship slots you can have, which means you may still have to buy more. Some clarification on this is needed.
  • Options
    seannewboyseannewboy Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Don't you guys know I have other MMO's to play.:P
    New home of the Romulan Republic.
    I have an idea for what Season 11 should be; Season 11: The Big Bug Fix.
    I have not been able to read my bug tickets in over a year, not even the tickets about not being able to see my tickets.
    I find the drama of your signature proof of your immaturity, this means you, DR whiners.
  • Options
    hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    True. But if you are talking from a real Trek viewpoint, you're not going to have a fleet of ships following you and switching ships on a whim.

So there's an off-screen interlude where 2+ ships rendezvous and transfer personnel. I don't particularly need to wait for some cutscene to load just to change ships, but your mileage may vary. I also feel no need to see them load cargo at starbases, or servicing the waste recyclers.

Now, with shuttles, I would prefer to go to the shuttle bay instead of the transporter room in order to board my shuttle. I realize this means building shuttlebay maps for a lot of ships, and then rendering your actual, active shuttle in that bay for you to walk up and board. I just can't think of a way for this to be an immediate source of revenue for the company.
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Come the end of the month, I'm screwed thanks to this change since I only play during the daytime on weekdays. If weekends includes Thursday after the patch and Friday, at least I'll get some of the benefit, but I will miss the calendar.
  • Options
    roxbadroxbad Member Posts: 695
    edited January 2014
    Another dev blog that has me looking forward to the release of Star Citizen.
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Interested to see how this update turns out.

New ships is a given, and the new equip and build save options if done right would be brilliant. No more having to transfer equipment from one ship to the next with clumsy drag n' drop!

Also, even though it's not a popular idea, I'm interested to see the revised event calendar. I can admit that I tend to rely on a small handful of dailies and missions to get my marks and whatever, so a move to make it worth my while to play the other content more often I'm open to.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I reserve judgement until this all goes live. The events thing is not a problem for me as I have no reason to do any of them, but I can see how it could affect others....
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It all sounds good, except...

"Re-Envisioning the hourly event calendar". Translation---"We feel people have been getting too many marks and too much dilithium so we are nerfing the bonus mark event and the dilithium event, possibly the Academy event. We may, or may not, offer a bonus mark daily, that you can use to run ONE mission for Bonus marks. We may, or may not, offer a bonus dilithium mission, only available on weekends, and only playable ONCE during the weekend."

I would love very much to be proven wrong, but.....
    $500 says that you will be proven wrong. =D
  • Options
    sthraxpwesthraxpwe Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    hypl wrote: »
    Ship builds, yay!

But switching ships in sector space and social zones, does this mean the shipyard NPC is going away and the mechanics being somehow integrated into the UI...or something? :confused:

And yup, one less reason to go to any hub now. Soon there will be no point in using warp drive when we can just transwarp and access everything from anywhere... :rolleyes:

Good! I DREAD having to go to ESD or the Klink Hub because my comp slows down to a crawl there. Not to mention the inane zone chat, party favors, forced dancing and other moronic behavior going on. I am perfectly content to never step foot in there again.

At some point people have to realize this is a Star Trek game and not a Star Trek simulation. As a game, I want my time in-game to be doing fun and entertaining things, not waiting 30 minutes to do something because I have to fly from one end of the galaxy to the other. These quality of life things are common features in other MMO-style games, however, nothing is forcing you to use them.
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Now, with shuttles, I would prefer to go to the shuttle bay instead of the transporter room in order to board my shuttle. I realize this means building shuttlebay maps for a lot of ships, and then rendering your actual, active shuttle in that bay for you to walk up and board. I just can't think of a way for this to be an immediate source of revenue for the company.

I agree with you here. Always liked the idea of going to the shuttlebay and physically walking to the shuttle I wish to fly.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    OMG, I was just joking about this last night! Hate to say it, but switching from outside of the shipyard just means more lazy gameplay and less reason to go to the shipyards. This game is becoming so couch-potatoy we don't even have to leave ESD anymore.

Well I have to say, I'm totally with you on this one. We already have no use for sector space, we may as well nuke the social zones and have everyone cluttered in a single room from where we'll just sign up for queues.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    mamif3mamif3 Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    In the past what level did your character have to be to get the anniversary ships? Not use but aquire.

Do I need to speed level some alts?

Also saving ship loadouts will be useless unless it also saves your skill tray bars per ship.

I spend 30 seconds moving equipment on ships now. Its the 10 minutes you spend fixing your skill tray after swapping ships that's the problem.
  • Options
    sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Great news guy thanks,

But the icing on the cake regards to the ships and such would be to sort of ring fence certain doff's from the roster so they cant accidentally be put on assignment. I don't know if this has been thought of and included, so is just a thought, I'd be interested to hear some constructive feed back on the idea.
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    $500 says that you will be proven wrong. =D

Maybe EEPH was reprogrammed to do good this time :)
  • Options
    o0kami87o0kami87 Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm happy and thankful for all the hard work the devs have done, just one thing
    Not only that, but each of your starships can have multiple pre-made build-outs saved, and you will be able to switch between them quickly and easily.

Please tell me this comes with a powers tray save/load. One major deterrent for me to even look at my other ships is the 15-30 minutes I spend putting all my abilities and powers back where they are suppose to be when I'm done.
    First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
  • Options
    f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    o0kami87 wrote: »
    Please tell me this comes with a powers tray save/load. One major deterrent for me to even look at my other ships is the 15-30 minutes I spend putting all my abilities and powers back where they are suppose to be when I'm done.

Agree with you on this bit.
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
    " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
  • Options
    o0kami87o0kami87 Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    mamif3 wrote: »
    In the past what level did your character have to be to get the anniversary ships? Not use but aquire.

Do I need to speed level some alts?

Also saving ship loadouts will be useless unless it also saves your skill tray bars per ship.

I spend 30 seconds moving equipment on ships now. Its the 10 minutes you spend fixing your skill tray after swapping ships that's the problem.

I want to say level 10, the ship will be like the winter ships in that it will be boxed and bound.
    First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    hypl wrote: »
    It could mean they're upping the max limit of ship slots you can have, which means you may still have to buy more. Some clarification on this is needed.
    You mean can, don't you? You don't have to buy more ships if you don't feel it's necessary.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited January 2014
    Brandon - this all sounds great. Looking forward for january 30th.

*please include the FAW fix*
  • Options
    mamif3mamif3 Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You mean can, don't you? You don't have to buy more ships if you don't feel it's necessary.

IMO every "event" ship should come with its own slot not related to the cap.

I don't know what the cap is but an example would be...

You have 10 slots for your reg, fleet, lockbox ships then you also have a breen raider, normal obelisk, risa corvette and anniversary ship that do not use part of your 10 slots.
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Tell that to the ship collectors who're maxed out. :P
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Brandon - this all sounds great. Looking forward for january 30th.

There is no FaW fix yet.
  • Options
    wildchild8wildchild8 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    i like this new (renew?) steve guy already, he brings good news and schuff!

interesting times ahead so!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.elitedefensestarfleet.com

/channel_join PublicEliteSTF
    PublicEliteSTF Channel Info: bit.ly/PublicEliteSTFV2
    WE WANT A KDF BOP 3 PACK!!
  • Options
    gorngonzollagorngonzolla Member Posts: 172 Cryptic Developer
    edited January 2014
    thay8472 wrote: »
    New ship, new ship, new ship!!!

True.

Regards,
    Phil "Gorngonzolla" Zeleski
  • Options
    kalanikalani Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Friendly reminder: we have Dev Blogs planned that will explain more about the Ship Management System, event revamp, etc. They will answer many of your questions :)

Re: the bonus mark event, you'll get your first taste of plans for this with our first weekend event announcement coming up later today.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

There are some of us who work all weekend long. I used to be one of them and I'm facing the same possibility again very soon. Is there any chance these weekend events can spill out into the week some?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited January 2014
    o0kami87 wrote: »

That is the goal :) More details on the system soon!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=