test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 8 Dev Blog #35

Comments

• capnshadow27capnshadow27 Member Posts: 1,731 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    mimey2 wrote: »
    So Branflakes, who is the lucky cereal? A box of Cheerios? A canister of oatmeal? A bag of Malt-o-Meal?

I vote it is a raisin, and she will be know as RaisinBranFlakes.

But on a serious note, the only thing i really try for is Mirror Invasion because we have keep making these new toons, and they dont have millions of expertise saved up. So irely on that hour to push me into my two pieces of rep gear.

The rest of it i like, especially the hot swaps and stuff, it would be nice to be able to run events as a fleet and not need to wait for people to swap ships between for certain things.

Other thing could we please please please have persistent teaming? That way once you team up with people outside of a queue you come out together, maybe a clickable option so you dont drag people you where forced queued with into a permanent team with you.
    Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
    I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Why is no one (as far as I've read) suspecting O'Brien/Meaney for the upcoming cameo?

1. The plot of the next episode is almost undoubtedly going to focus on the new starships. The guest star is going to have to play a central role in that (assuming) which should limit the roster to former engineers. (obvious)

2. Michael Dorn was just on. Either directly or indirectly that could lead to a former co-star of his jumping on the STO bandwagon (which could narrow the roster down to two or three)

3. There was the none-too-subtle name drop at the end of the last episode. It's hard to imagine any other reason behind this except as a lead in (since it does require some pretty significant rotations from established posts.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Why is no one (as far as I've read) suspecting O'Brien for the upcoming cameo?

1. The plot of the next episode is almost undoubtedly going to focus on the new starships. The guest star is going to have to play a central role in that (assuming) which should limit the roster to former engineers. (obvious)

2. Michael Dorn was just on. Either directly or indirectly that could lead to a former co-star of his jumping on the STO bandwagon (which could narrow the roster down to two or three)

3. There was the none-too-subtle name drop at the end of the last episode. It's hard to imagine any other reason behind this except as a lead in (since it does require some pretty significant rotations from established posts.)

The mentioned O'Brien in Sphere of Influence is not Miles O'Brien though. Miles is a teacher at the Academy last I heard.

My money would be on anyone who was actually involved with Voyager and the Delta Quadrant. Or anyone affordable...... :o
    edited January 2014
    qjunior wrote: »
    The mentioned O'Brien in Sphere of Influence is not Miles O'Brien though. Miles is a teacher at the Academy last I heard.

What other "Chief O'Brien" could Worf be wanting to say hello to?! Neither of the kids have apparently entered Starfleet and I doubt Cryptic is playing at coincidence.

Moving O'Brien from his post (wasn't it chief of starfleet ops?) is also part of my point in why it's probably Colin who's starring. You have an iconic Star Trek actor coming in and need to get him involved with the game's plot. Previously O'Brien's been written into the margins of the STO timeline. Cryptic needs to rectify that. Ergo, officer on the Enterprise F.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    qjunior wrote: »

My money would be on anyone who was actually involved with Voyager and the Delta Quadrant. Or anyone affordable...... :o
    The O'Brien mentioned at the end of SoI is Kirayoshi O'Brien. Otherwise known as the son of Miles O'Brien.
    What other "Chief O'Brien" could Worf be wanting to say hello to?! Neither of the kids have apparently entered Starfleet and I doubt Cryptic is playing at coincidence.
    You sure about that? Kirayoshi's a Lieutenant on Memory Alpha, and he's an engineer, in Starfleet, no less.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • o0kami87o0kami87 Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Why is no one (as far as I've read) suspecting O'Brien/Meaney for the upcoming cameo?

It was mentioned the anniversary event will be Voyager driven, the guess is the guest speaker will also be from Voyager
    First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
    edited January 2014
    You sure about that? Kirayoshi's a Lieutenant on Memory Alpha, and he's an engineer, in Starfleet, no less.

Apparently not. I guess I haven't spent enough time there. :)
    The O'Brien mentioned at the end of SoI is Kirayoshi O'Brien. Otherwise known as the son of Miles O'Brien.

Chief though. Yoshi's a lieutenant, not an enlisted man. Sure, assuming they've moved him over it would make him Chief engineer but at no point in Star Trek (as far as I can recall but as we've demonstrated that may not mean that much) have they referred to a chief engineer as "Chief" simply because he was the head of the department.

Anyway, that's just my guess.
  • blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Chief though. Yoshi's a lieutenant, not an enlisted man. Sure, assuming they've moved him over it would make him Chief engineer but at no point in Star Trek have they referred to a chief engineer as "Chief" simply because he was the head of the department (Chief Trip? Chief La Forge? Chief Scotty? Nope.)
    You can still be called Chief as a Lieutenant, wasn't Torres called Chief even though she was a Lieutenant? There you go. So, Kirayoshi is still the candidate.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
    edited January 2014
    You can still be called Chief as a Lieutenant, wasn't Torres called Chief even though she was a Lieutenant? There you go. So, Kirayoshi is still the candidate.

In a very unlikely scenario I'll still say. Look, if Cryptic wanted Kirayoshi on the enterprise this is how they could have EASILY structured that back and forth between Worf and Shon.

"Give Chief O'Brien my regards."

"I'll let Kirayoshi know."

There, you've set up the fans expectation of "Is it miles?!" and paid it off immediately with "Noooo, it's the son." But that still leaves the question of why (in this case) replace a minor NPC with another minor NPC (and take up some very valuable mic time in doing so.) Fan service is let down by the fact that they left in the ambiguity of "Chief O'Brien" which for most ST fans is going to resonate much more strongly with their time with TNG and DS9 than background lore in STO.

There's simply no reason to do it. And they got Micheal Dorn to deliver the line, don't forget that. Do you think he's going to mean his long-time co-star or the baby (without any other clarification)?

Anyway, this all just points to Miles. They could easily leave the enterprise out of the next episode and have someone else take us through the next mission. But in that case there's just no satisfying pay-off between episodes.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Sorry, I'm already happily engaged and getting married this July :P

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Congrats, that's great news!
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    From the moment they introduced 'timed events' (Defara invasion zone) through the event calendar through now this 'weekends events' change , I too have never been comfortable with this aspect of STO .
    The herding aspect .
    The 'move the players around like chess pieces' aspect .

So I guess that those who play STO daily will continue to do so , but I'm concerned that this will lead to a "weekends only" mentality with some players , while others will make a mental note to log in on the weekend and then completely forget about it .

STO already has a higher playerbase on the weekends , I'm not sure why that aspect needed to be artificially "boosted" by something like this . I mean it's not like they are going to do actual Dev hosted events on weekends ... ?
    (and no , I don't count Brandon's "let's play STO Live" as actual events . I mean random invasions of ESD and **** like that. And we don't have that .. and I don't think we will have that .)

Also , if there will be 'extra awards' for these weekend events ... (meaning that they will move the hourly event calendar awards to the weekends) , that just gives less incentive to log on during the week .
    Where is the logic in that ?
    Is someone interested in turning STO into a mid-week ghost town (?) or are they so convinced by the positive mid-week player numbers that they are thinking that that will not change ?
    'Cause I kinda sorta recall what happened the last time they tried to move the existing awards away from the players (Season 7 & STF Dill awards ...) -- and that did not end too well for them ... . :(

EDIT: .... and yeah ... I also wanted to say something on this "hot swapping" thing .
    So ... Doffs .
    Are they included in the 'hot swapping' feature ?
    I don't think so .
    Which means that you's still have to do that manually .
    And if you have them on a mission , you're screwed . Which means that you'll fear to send them on missions because "OMG I might need them !!!" .
    Which will lead to less Doffing .
    Or not . :rolleyes:
  • captainjgeecaptainjgee Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Remove the hourly event calendar for a weekend event, I'd love to know who came up with that stupid ideas.:mad: You don't think people will get feed up with the same mission over and over again. What happen if you are busy at the weekend? At least with the hourly event you have a chance to get some rewards. Like this coming weekend I have no interested in more Dyson marks, therefore see no point playing STO this weekend. I have a new alt that requires Omega marks, no point trying go get those this weekend then. In fact today I'll be going out to buy a new computer game to start playing at the weekend thanks to this stupid bonus mark weekend. Looks like I'd be playing less STO. :(

Will Star Trek Online be rename Star Trek Weekend in the near future? Perhaps you could shut down the severs during the week days and just have them up just at the weekend.

Stop wasting money getting Star Trek actors to do VO. The last two have to be some of the worst voice over acting I've ever heard. Not many actors are skilled in doing voice over work, just as some actors are not very good at doing comedy. The money would be better spent getting new missions, not wasted on awful acting.
    edited January 2014
    aelfwin1 wrote: »

STO already has a higher playerbase on the weekends , I'm not sure why that aspect needed to be artificially "boosted" by something like this .

So does every game. That's pretty much why Crytpic is right in doing this. During the week the population lags simply because people generally have immovable time constraints on their STO playtime (work, school, ect.) Obviously that's not as much the case during the weekends, which you might think would mean that cryptic doesn't have to try to maintain its population. But remember on the weekend STO is up against movable time constraints, ie. competing recreational activities, ie. other games. Crytpic have to provide as much incentive as possible in order to keep the servers stocked during ideal gaming hours. Ergo weekend events. It's not to make up any shortfalls, but simply to give more reasons to play STO (and not something else) when that question becomes the most contentious.
  • imadoctornotaimadoctornota Member Posts: 469 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Dyson tech enhanced Miranda, T'Liss, and D7 ftw. And balls on you if you don't like it! :D

I like this idea. No, I love this idea! I really do! However, I imagine that they will all be science ships and they will have a secondary deflector that will later be added to most of the other science ships. But I'd accept a delay on the Science upgrades in exchange for that! :D
    trekbob5 wrote: »
    Will we be getting the new federation ship interiors in season 8.5?

I would like to know this as well. There was a dev blog some time ago that made it seem as if they were coming in the next update, but nothing. I'd love to see them make it in soon. With a shuttlebay please :)

In a very unlikely scenario I'll still say. Look, if Cryptic wanted Kirayoshi on the enterprise this is how they could have EASILY structured that back and forth between Worf and Shon.

"Give Chief O'Brien my regards."

"I'll let Kirayoshi know."

There, you've set up the fans expectation of "Is it miles?!" and paid it off immediately with "Noooo, it's the son." But that still leaves the question of why (in this case) replace a minor NPC with another minor NPC (and take up some very valuable mic time in doing so.) Fan service is let down by the fact that they left in the ambiguity of "Chief O'Brien" which for most ST fans is going to resonate much more strongly with their time with TNG and DS9 than background lore in STO.

There's simply no reason to do it. And they got Micheal Dorn to deliver the line, don't forget that. Do you think he's going to mean his long-time co-star or the baby (without any other clarification)?

Anyway, this all just points to Miles. They could easily leave the enterprise out of the next episode and have someone else take us through the next mission. But in that case there's just no satisfying pay-off between episodes.

I agree, it had to have been Miles. Whether that means he is the actor that is in the next episode, I can't say, but I think it's a distinct possibility!
    Thanks for the expansion that had "as much content as the last"
    9 Episodes = 30+ episodes...?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It's pronounced "S.T.O." "Stow" sounds idiotic! lol
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    During the week the population lags simply because people generally have immovable time constraints on their STO playtime (work, school, ect.)

Yeah , but during the week I could also log in once in a while and try to take advantage of whatever was on the event calendar .
    Now I don't have that .
    Which gives me less incentive to play STO .

Obviously that's not as much the case during the weekends,

Fore those who plan their weekends around a game that might be true ...
    (which makes it much less 'obvious')

Crytpic have to provide as much incentive as possible in order to keep the servers stocked during ideal gaming hours. Ergo weekend events.

See , the thing that seems to escape you (no offense) is that they could have put in extra awards or events on weekends on top of the existing event calendar .

I did not like to be herded to Defara . (I boycott Defara till this day because of that)
    I did not like to be herded to Fleet Actions (at the expense of STF's) (would have quit STO if the S.7 changes were not reversed)
    I do not like to be herded to play of the weekends only . (this will hurt my time in STO . How much I have yet to know.)

Seeing this thread about the "bonuses" we will get on the next weekend sure does not inspire me to plan ahead to log in , that's for sure . Just read the first page for all you underwhelming news & responses .

And no , I do not care what other games do . :)
  • imadoctornotaimadoctornota Member Posts: 469 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    mikefl wrote: »
    I love the changes. My only concern is for Mirror Invasion... just make sure Mirror Invasion is not a daily it needs to be playable for more than once a day. It is really the only place you can get expertise in a decent amount. Take out the dilithium if you have to but until other ways are added to earn expertise in end game content you need to keep this one alive.

Expertise really should be rewarded in decent quantities while playing any content including end game stuff like Dyson. The XP on Nukara is good but no other reason to go there if you're done with Nukara rep and it's on cooldowns. My old toons have tons of XP but all my new ones can't earn it fast enough to do their reps.

I have millions of spare expertise. I am maxed out in all reputations and I dump around half a million expertise into fleet projects every week and it isn't going away. I typically log on once a day and get some doff assignments going. I can't understand how anyone could be low on expertise. I'm not trying to be insulting, I just don't see how that's possible unless you don't do any doffing.
    Thanks for the expansion that had "as much content as the last"
    9 Episodes = 30+ episodes...?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It's pronounced "S.T.O." "Stow" sounds idiotic! lol
  • captainjgeecaptainjgee Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Sorry, I'm already happily engaged and getting married this July :P

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Congratulations. :)

May your life be filled with happiness.
  • wildeye042wildeye042 Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    "... you will be able to easily switch between your starships in sector space and social zones..."

I like the idea of making it easier to switch ships with saved build-outs (much needed) but I think you should only be able to do so at shipyards (including Fleet). Having access to every ship you own anywhere in Sector space strikes me as too much like magic. Sure, you can technobabble an explanation about using subspace like the Elachi or the like but that's just another way of saying Bag of Holding. Star Trek is supposed to be Science Fiction, not Science Fantasy; please don't strain my ability to suspend disbelief any further than necessary.
  • ruinsfateruinsfate Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    wildeye042 wrote: »
    Star Trek is supposed to be Science Fiction, not Science Fantasy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n5E7feJHw0
  • bryliggbryligg Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm not trying to be insulting, I just don't see how that's possible unless you don't do any doffing.

I didn't either until I leveled my romulan about a month back. Doing 4 reputations at a time will leave you in dire need of a better expertise source.
  • pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    If everything works as intended, there's now virtually no reason to switch ships on a regular basis, which is pretty cool. Bought Vesta ages ago, but couldn't be bothered to go through the faff.

Looking forward to seeing more of the revamps. Played a couple on tribble, and while they weren't massive changes, they certainly played better.

Also, anniversary sounds amazing.
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited January 2014
    Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread with (the-joke-that-turned-into) me replying with the announcement of my upcoming nuptials :o But I did want to say that I've read and appreciate all your congratulatory notes. No matter what happens in my life, STO and this community (you all) will always hold a special place in my heart. <3

Now, back on topic. OMG Season 8.5 is going to be awesome!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • v1ctor1stv1ctor1st Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Not only that, but each of your starships can have multiple pre-made build-outs saved, and you will be able to switch between them quickly and easily. Now you will be able to prepare separate PvE and PvP builds, or have a special anti-Voth spec for your ships waiting to quickly be swapped in. Equipping ships also gets easier with the new ?easy equip? feature coming in the update.

Well at least it makes kitting out a ship a lot easier, only really need to do it once and thats it. The "Graphics Department" has made it harder, and harder for folks like me who are partially blind to play this game. Most of my time out of PVP and missions is spent pouring over consoles which virtually now all look the same as each other which means i need to wait on tool tip pop ups for almost all of them to see what they do.

This new save option for builds will make my STO time a lot more enjoyable, and will have me spending a lot less time glued to my bank checking what each of my consoles do before running to the ship selector guy and then having to go through the whole process of checking consoles again.

You guys should have brought this feature in BEFORE the major graphical changes came in with the consoles. You have lost a LOT of partially blind players, a lot of the ones i know left the game when that first round of console graphics updates came in, and i doubt you'll get those players back now.

However I know i speak for the partially blind folks who are still playing this game when i say THANK YOU for this save option. It will make our time spent kitting out ships a lot more easier.
    AhvtPz9.jpg
    • "You know when that shark bites, with its teeth dear... scarlet billows start to spread..."
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited January 2014
  • dragnridrdragnridr Member Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Friendly reminder: we have Dev Blogs planned that will explain more about the Ship Management System, event revamp, etc. They will answer many of your questions :)

Re: the bonus mark event, you'll get your first taste of plans for this with our first weekend event announcement coming up later today.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I kinda like the idea of the ship swap.....but isn't that what the ship yards are for? There are plenty of places to swap ships if we need to. Dyson Sphere has a place, New Romulus has a place, theres one at ESD, Qo'Nos, DS9, and many more places. I would rather have our Boffs that we aren't using that are collecting dust to command our space docked ships. For example, we call them in say when our health gets to like 25% and they stay for 60-90 sec helping us out, e.g.: escorts doing dps, science ships healing, and cruisers tanking. I f we have 6 ships docked, maybe have a random 3 come and help. They should also use whatever equipment that we have on them. If they get destroyed, then they go back to space dock for repairs for say 30min to an hour. and the cooldown should be for about 2 hrs, so we can't abuse the hell out of it.

I know, some people may not like this idea. But at least we can still get some type of use out of those older ships that we still keep around cause we love em.

Or if we aren't using them, maybe send them on certain assignment, like charting a new nebula or quelling disputes, or even running a diplomat from one system to another, and have them reward something like 2000 dil, 20k ec, skill points, and expertise. And have those missions take 20 hrs. Success could be factored in by how well equipped they are, and by the Boffs you have on said ships. Also said missions would also make them unavailable till the mission is completed.

Now for the Hourly events, WHY, oh, WHY remove them? Find out WHY certain ones are not fun (Edit: Unpopular) and fix them. Please do NOT destroy the hourly events. Hey, even keep the weekend events just to spice things up from the normal grind.

Again, I know people may not even like my ideas, but I know I'm not the only one that thinks removing the hourly events are a BAD IDEA.
    latest?cb=20141230104800&path-prefix=en
  • captainwessoncaptainwesson Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I like the idea of being able to save our builds on different ships and such. Hmmm...I remember a while ago when the devs mentioned something about having our own little fleets as a true Fleet Admiral, with our boffs flying the ships. I wonder...is the ship swapping the first step toward that system?? :eek: Any hints here, devs?

And congrats, Bran!! That's great news!
  • pyrogxmk3pyrogxmk3 Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So does every game. That's pretty much why Crytpic is right in doing this. During the week the population lags simply because people generally have immovable time constraints on their STO playtime (work, school, ect.) Obviously that's not as much the case during the weekends, which you might think would mean that cryptic doesn't have to try to maintain its population. But remember on the weekend STO is up against movable time constraints, ie. competing recreational activities, ie. other games. Crytpic have to provide as much incentive as possible in order to keep the servers stocked during ideal gaming hours. Ergo weekend events. It's not to make up any shortfalls, but simply to give more reasons to play STO (and not something else) when that question becomes the most contentious.

There's a logical disconnection here.

Right now, the population lags during weekdays because of time constraints, this despite the event schedule. Unavoidable, happens in every game, but you still get people willing to use a bit of their free time to check if they can mine dilithium, or to do a quick tour-the-universe, or try to do bonus marks while setting up doffs. The event scheduler keeps people thinking about the game - you tell yourself "oh hey right after work today I can make a quick 350k EC" and will play a while. No one not-log-in during the weekend "because the events aren't weekend-long".

Turning things into a weekend event would not help the weekends; people still log in for the events already there. What's happening here is that things like "21:00 this tuesday is dilithium mining hour" dissapear, to be replaced by, what, "once/weekend" one weekend a month? We lose the incentive STO had over other games to log in during the week, atop many people losing incentive to stay logged in as much during the weekend. People with no reason to log in will find something else to occupy their time; something that very well may have weekend events of its own - since as you say that's what most games do - and may then prefer to stick around for those!

Perhaps a change to the hourly durations would make sense. But I cannot see, nor can understand how someone would be so blind as to believe, that removing events during the week as well as their variety would do anything other than reduce the playerbase!

"Many of the events go unplayed" does not mean we want them weekend-long, it means those specific aspects of the game are not appealing! Would anybody give a flying f*** about Metaphasic Weekend? It's not because we think Metaphasic Hour is not long enough, it's because the crafting system's completely obsolete! Who's gonna bother with that weekend while another game's doing "double-loot-rarity saturday"?
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread with (the-joke-that-turned-into) me replying with the announcement of my upcoming nuptials :o But I did want to say that I've read and appreciate all your congratulatory notes. No matter what happens in my life, STO and this community (you all) will always hold a special place in my heart. <3

Now, back on topic. OMG Season 8.5 is going to be awesome!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Damn it, BranFlakes, everything you say makes me love you more...;) Have a great wedding, and a better marriage. Remember, it is important to have a few large sober people on guard at your wedding so that your frat buddies cannot have a fight and ruin everything (like my dad did once at a friend's wedding--he and his buddies sort of accidentally ruined a three hundred thousand dollar ornamental flower bed).

Now. Logging into the game to see the latest patch. Qapla'!
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    captaind3 wrote: »
    Nicole DeBoer is actually a great choice, and in that vein Alexander Siddig El Fadil :D works too.

Alexander Siddig is a personal favorite of mine. I loved him as Bashir, but I have to say that his best performance was as the rich British inventor Phillip Burton on the BBC show "Primeval". He was a great, very humanized antagonist.
  • o0kami87o0kami87 Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hoping this sector space ship switching has a nice animation to not make simply one ship fades out and another fades in. Here's an idea, you select the ship you want, it warps in and hails you, bridge officer reporting that they are ready for you to beam over, once beamed to the new ship your old ship warps off.
    First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite