test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 8 Dev Blog #35

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
edited January 2014 in Galactic News Network [PC]
Executive Producer Stephen D'Angelo shares more details about the upcoming Season 8.5 update in this entry of the Season 8 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the blog.
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,148 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    New ship, new ship, new ship!!!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Some very needed quality of life improvements, thank you.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited January 2014
    thay8472 wrote: »
    New ship, new ship, new ship!!!

I see what you did there ;)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Is it the 30th yet? And who's the return actor? Huh? Huh?
  • smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Exciting stuff there, little concerned about removing the hourly events, but we'll see how it turns out.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • bridgernbridgern Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This is Awesome!
    Bridger.png
  • wanderer89wanderer89 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hybrid Starships? Holy frack!

I'm going to go out on a limb and start the "based off nothing" speculation but considering the Sphere is in the delta quadrant I'll go ahead and presume the character coming into STO is from Voyager. I'm also going to stick my neck out and guess that the character will be (dun dun dun) Tuvok.

Whoever it is, I'm sure it'll be really fun. I can't wait. Long live STO
    THE ARTIST FORMALLY KNOWN AS TRYULIS
    Vice Admiral Dir Sonatra, I.R.W. Kholairlha, Scimitar Class Warbird
    Vice Admiral Oshin S'ree, USS Steamrunner, Steamrunner Class

TEN FORWARD FLEET
  • brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    La Forge :D
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well, some good news I think. But this...
    Another area we looked at was the hourly event calendar. Our data showed that few of these events were being played often, and so we are re-envisioning the hourly events as weekend-long events with better rewards. You can expect the hourly calendar to disappear with Season 8.5, with the new events showing up on the main calendar. Additionally, a small selection of the existing hourly events are being turned into Daily missions ? we?ll provide more information on this soon.

Weren't the hourly events bugged to high heaven or something?

But anyway, love the new ship switching in sector space, wanted that for quite some time. And the pre-made builds too, awesome. Maybe my bridge power setups will finally stop freaking out.

As for hybrid starships, eh, why not. You get a ship, and you get a ship, and even you get a ship. If the new ship switching works as advertized, I won't mind getting new ships.
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • wixibanwixiban Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    With the removal of the event calendar, I wonder if that means no more Mirror Event.

Won't be much use if it is just a daily 1off mission.
    Wixiban.png
    edited January 2014
    They didn't say it was stopping. They are just changing how it works. Many of the missions will be weekend long ones now. Of course which of those they are is unknown. The marks event will probably be one of the weekend long ones.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
  • brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Not only that, but each of your starships can have multiple pre-made build-outs saved, and you will be able to switch between them quickly and easily. Now you will be able to prepare separate PvE and PvP builds, or have a special anti-Voth spec for your ships waiting to quickly be swapped in.

I wonder if this will include DOFF slots?
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    And there's something exciting for players that have many starships in spacedock! With the Season 8.5 update, you will be able to easily switch between your starships in sector space and social zones ? we want to make it easy to quickly get to the ship you want to fly. Not only that, but each of your starships can have multiple pre-made build-outs saved, and you will be able to switch between them quickly and easily

This is some welcome progress, but my question is whether these "pre-made build-outs" we can save will include Bridge Officer assignments and skill tray layouts. That, in my humble opinion, was always the most aggravating part of changing ships.

As it stands, you can't even count on your BO assignments sticking when you aren't changing ships. Happened to me last time I played ISE the other night. Dropped me at the spawn point with all of my BO assignments gone. Had to quickly rectify that while my team started without me.
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • wixibanwixiban Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I can see the Marks being almost every weekend as it is the most popular.

I don't know may people that do the Starfleet Academy, Vault, Multi Phasic anymore.

just the Bonus marks and Mirror
    Wixiban.png
    edited January 2014
    They should add or increase the rewards to offer more incentive for some of the lesser events.
  • dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Just wondering why we need to play Q's game to get a ship from our own engineers but other than that really look forward to this update.

edit: Reply to previous poster - I'd just assume one of my many multitudes of DoFF's brought it too me.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • romineshrominesh Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Sounds really nice, and I'm looking forward to the reveal of the latest Trek actor to join the STO family.

However, I -am- concerned about the removal of the hourly events. I know that more details will be forthcoming, but I have to say I would be extremely disappointed in their removal. I like that the schedule was always rotating, because it allowed people who could only log in at the same time each day the ability to always have something different. It's very refreshing to be able to log in for the few hours in the evening between work and sleep and always have something different going on to participate in. I would be very concerned if I felt as if I was being punished for not being able to log in during this new weekend plan that was mentioned.

I have no doubt that certain events are not attracting the number of players that others are; bonus marks event is probably the biggest draw. However, I think the better solution here would be to revisit -why- those events aren't as popular as opposed to just tearing everything down, and perhaps tweak the events that people don't want to do (I'm looking at you, Vault shuttle event).
  • walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Good to see!
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • rifter1969rifter1969 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I too am concerned about the hourly event calendar, and interested in seeing the implementation of the new calendar.

I really would like to see a list of the events that are going to be dailies, and what is going to be left. Also... the events that are staying, are they going to have a cooldown also?
  • jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Exciting stuff there, little concerned about removing the hourly events, but we'll see how it turns out.
    malkarris wrote: »
    Weren't the hourly events bugged to high heaven or something?
    I'm sure he was referring to data from outside the bugged period. How many people do you really think participated in stuff like the Crafting event or Multiphasic event?

Taking a few of them (hopefully dilithium mining) and making them dailies should be a good move. I'm curious to see which ones end up being "weekend specials."
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • oddboyoutoddboyout Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Thank you for changing up the hourly events. I haven't paid attention to them in a very long time, it was more trouble than the rewards were worth. I'm excited to see who the new actor is! :D
  • jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    rominesh wrote: »
    I like that the schedule was always rotating, because it allowed people who could only log in at the same time each day the ability to always have something different. It's very refreshing to be able to log in for the few hours in the evening between work and sleep and always have something different going on to participate in.
    At least for the ones that become daily, every one will be able to participate in them every day. To me, that's an improvement.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Ah TRIBBLE, guess I need to buy more ship slots... :P

(That was the plan all along, wasn't it?)
  • mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    My money is on Tim Russ as well.

Hybrid ships sounds interesting.

Not sure about that ship swapping in sector space though. Make it quicker and less complicated, yes, let us save builds, yes, but we should still have to visit a shipyard to swap. Immersion is important.
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It has peaked my interest....i wonder if they have a grasp as to why certain events are played...
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • sekritagentsekritagent Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    God I hate this new EP already, a huge misfire on Day 1. You're getting rid of Bonus Marks hour? How about instead of increasing grind you increase the payouts to something sane and level them out across the reputations?

Instead you have this wild hodgepodge of events and prices and items and IT'S ALL OVER THE PLACE. It's not that hard to streamline this.

Events and Missions Everyone Hates Because They Are a Massive Waste:
    • Vault Shuttle Mission (awful play, TRIBBLE payout)
    • Atmospheric Assault (awful play, TRIBBLE payout)
    • Azure Nebula Rescue (TRIBBLE payout)
    • Vault Ensnared (TRIBBLE payout)
    • Academy Event (TRIBBLE payout)

Here's how reputation rewards and item prices should shake out:

Engines/Deflectors/Cores/Shields: 750 marks each
    Special Weapon/Console/Torpedo/Device Items: 500 marks each

Hard Space or Ground mission payout: 960 dil, 100 marks
    Medium Space or Ground mission payout: 720 dil, 80 marks
    Easy Space or Ground Mission Payout: 480 dil, 60 marks

Eliminate "costume unlock" and "store unlock" projects - the items cost PLENTY
    Daily Tokens are actually ok if you have time to log on daily
    Incorporate random reputation store item drops to other reputations
    Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and the players love it! No, seriously! ...Why are you laughing so hard? :(
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm wondering if you basically will still need to have a long list of boffs with this saved build option. One reason many alts have the FE boffs but never commission them in same sense with my voth boff they will most likely collect dust and never be commissioned due to not buying more boff slots for every single character that is full which for me would be thousands of zen(right now have no real reason to put resources into expanding this area).

Another aspect would have been to change the inventory system to something like neverwinters because of so many items in the game people have obtained there should be more room on a given character and additional room to hold ground items, space items, consumables, crafting supplies(for when crafting is viable again most out dated STO area), etc.

So basically just doff for dilithium for 2 weeks gotcha :)
  • tobar26thtobar26th Member Posts: 799 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm imagining it's George Takei, I hope not as Hikaru should be long gone and I don't want him voicing some bit part.

I'm hoping for one of the captains, in fact I'm thinking for some reason it might be Patrick Stuart, but it's purely a hunch. Levar Burton would make sense as an engineering expert investigating the sphere.

Not sure how I feel about the hourly events being removed - let's see what comes in their place though :)
    edited January 2014
    God I hate this new EP already, a huge misfire on Day 1. You're getting rid of Bonus Marks hour? How about instead of increasing grind you increase the payouts to something sane and level them out across the reputations?

Instead you have this wild hodgepodge of events and prices and items and IT'S ALL OVER THE PLACE. It's not that hard to streamline this.

Events and Missions Everyone Hates Because They Are a Massive Waste:
    • Vault Shuttle Mission (awful play, TRIBBLE payout)
    • Atmospheric Assault (awful play, TRIBBLE payout)
    • Azure Nebula Rescue (TRIBBLE payout)
    • Vault Ensnared (TRIBBLE payout)
    • Academy Event (TRIBBLE payout)

Here's how reputation rewards and item prices should shake out:

Engines/Deflectors/Cores/Shields: 750 marks each
    Special Weapon/Console/Torpedo/Device Items: 500 marks each

Hard Space or Ground mission payout: 960 dil, 100 marks
    Medium Space or Ground mission payout: 720 dil, 80 marks
    Easy Space or Ground Mission Payout: 480 dil, 60 marks

Eliminate "costume unlock" and "store unlock" projects - the items cost PLENTY
    Daily Tokens are actually ok if you have time to log on daily
    Incorporate random reputation store item drops to other reputations

Did you even see the events were still there?
  • cabousecabouse Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I hope its Data and we can finally find out what happended to the Enterprise E