Install Arc
Options

Captain on the Bridge

Comments

• Options
    phantomeightphantomeight Member Posts: 567 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Organicmanfred,

My understanding is that the communications "blackout" is due to the community in general. During the pre-F2P times, there would be "Engineering Reports" that were out every few months. This would list near-term, short-term, and long-term (ideas) that the team had.

The problem came from the community's expectation that these were "promises" and not a "hey, we are thinking about doing this but these are just what we would LIKE to do." The community was upset that XYZ feature was moved off the list that they were "promised" to get previously.

After F2P and around when DStahl left the EP chair the first time, the communications dropped to the Dev Blogs and they only told the community things that are VERY near-term and did not discuss long-term plans as they change.

Matt

Nah the real communications blackout happened after this:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/05/15/star-trek-online-dev-not-concerned-with-losing-global-playabilit/

http://bluekae.com/2012/05/15/this-is-why-we-cant-have-nice-things/

http://www.mmorpg.com/mobile/forums.cfm/forum/1250/forums.tearsofpolaris.com/forums.cfm?ismb=1&threadId=351574

Massively took a private post made by Jeremy, twisted it, and then ran with it. After that the devs fell silent for quite a while. To compare the deafining silence.. it would make the current canned and sanitized press releases from Branflakes feel like family.

I will never ever forgive Massively even though it was a different writer at the time. Their current writer, Terry I think, is well respected even though I still refuse to read. That was the start of the fall of communication... and every time I see Cryptic giving Massively an exclusive, I don't read it and it makes me wrench a little inside.

As for Stephen... he was running the joint when Atari owned Cryptic.... all it was clear to all at the time that STO was cash cow that they pumped for money with little to no investment.
  • Options
    sychosis99sychosis99 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I sincerely wish Dan and Stephen all the best in their new positions. If they're successful, we gamers are the one's who will benefit.

As far as Cryptic's next project, please please please for the love of all that is holy, let it be on a newly developed engine or at least a higher quality 3rd party engine. One of the many reasons I couldn't get into Neverwinter, was because of it feeling extremely dated for being a supposed brand spanking new game. It's far past time to put that dated engine out to pasture.
  • Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    P.S. ... and thanks for finishing the Klingons Dan ... :)

(and no , I'm not being sarcastic ... as the KDF finish was so overshadowed by everything LoR ...)

Qa'pla! yay Qa'pla!
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    sychosis99 wrote: »
    I sincerely wish Dan and Stephen all the best in their new positions. If they're successful, we gamers are the one's who will benefit.

As far as Cryptic's next project, please please please for the love of all that is holy, let it be on a newly developed engine or at least a higher quality 3rd party engine. One of the many reasons I couldn't get into Neverwinter, was because of it feeling extremely dated for being a supposed brand spanking new game. It's far past time to put that dated engine out to pasture.

Agreed, and please make the new game have its own server too !
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    mattmiraclemattmiracle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Nah the real communications blackout happened after this:
    snip

True, I forgot about that. Thanks for the reminder.

Matt
    Matt Miracle

Fleet Commander in Chief [Rank 7] for Covenant of Honor; a FED T5 Starbase
    House Leader [Rank 7] for Honorable House of Mor'gue; a KDF T3 Starbase
    Find us at CovenantofHonor.com.  My Twitter handle; @jmattmiracle
  • Options
    otowiotowi Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Shields up, arm weapons, takes us to Red Alert!

Why do I get a sense of deja vu here?

Last time this happened, was before something bad was about to hit the fan.

I would be willing to bet latinum on this something being the launch of the dreaded ARC.

I hope I'm wrong, and that I can stand down from Red Alert, but for now, this ship will remian at Red Alert status....
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    IIRC D'angelo got saddled with a lot of TRIBBLE that probably wasn't even his fault. He stepped in during a tumultuous period of change, and whoever was in that chair was gonna get hell no matter what. By the same token, I think decisions he made in terms of direction were falsely attributed to Stahl shortly after his return as things within D'angelo's purview began to come to fruition.

I'm just sayin', let's keep in mind that the next, oh, three months* or so, is probably stuff scheduled before he had a say, and if it's TRIBBLE, it's probably got more to do with Stahl than D'angelo.

*number pulled out of aft, intended to seem reasonable but possibly under or over-selling the overlap.
  • Options
    palpha2clearancepalpha2clearance Member Posts: 432 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Wow....hold onto your hats, this guy took the fun out of STO, before Dan came back the last time, D'Angelo has much to prove, to earn back my business, I am very, very, very sad to see Dan go, and it is my hope we do not re enter the dark ages of STO, that was felt the last time D'Angelo was at the helm.

I am not sure if this is a good this is good for STO or not, I will say last time it was not..... I hope his vision is more in line with Dan's this time around.... I hope for the best, but it I have lived through the worst in STO, and most of was under D'Angelo's watch. I will try to be optimistic......

Now I know how the TNG crew felt when Edward Jellico was given command of the enterprise :(

Best wishes Dan!....you will be greatly missed again.......
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    jexsamx wrote: »
    IIRC D'angelo got saddled with a lot of TRIBBLE that probably wasn't even his fault. He stepped in during a tumultuous period of change, and whoever was in that chair was gonna get hell no matter what. By the same token, I think decisions he made in terms of direction were falsely attributed to Stahl shortly after his return as things within D'angelo's purview began to come to fruition.

I'm just sayin', let's keep in mind that the next, oh, three months* or so, is probably stuff scheduled before he had a say, and if it's TRIBBLE, it's probably got more to do with Stahl than D'angelo.

*number pulled out of aft, intended to seem reasonable but possibly under or over-selling the overlap.

That's so true. Last time he pretty much got left holding the bag and a lot of people are still scarred from that. Season 8 brought in some nice additions feature wise it just along with the hit from S7 it hasn't gone so well.

I'm just hoping if they actually do have stuff planned and already worked on for 2014 that its something to kind of repair his reputation even if he's just here again as a temporary EP again.
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    What was going on back then?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    What was going on back then?

The great burn of f2p where pretty much all the pre-f2p players got their currencies coverted to dilithium with a heavy heavy hardcap.

Edit: Oh yeah the lockbox issue too because it was misrepresented because the lockbox platform wasn't as well known as it is now. That is why by the time the 2nd and 3rd lockboxes hit and they were barely making any money off them they sent out an email to every player with a survey asking why they weren't buying keys(first one was a present). Soon after that survey they said wait up playerbase flying off in a hurry we got you Stahl back lol.
  • Options
    vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Welcome back Stephen, hopefully this time you will have a more enjoyable ride in the big chair and be able to add your own flair to the game.

Agreed.

I don't know how to feel about this news frankly. All I'm sure of now is ARC's still breathin down our collective necks.....

Does this mean that all of Dan's plans for STO have stopped development? Has all STO development stopped now in lieu of this new secret project?
    How has this impacted STO? Cause we just know this shake-up's gotta have an impact.

Part of me wants to take this information positively, but the other part's like a little kid who just wants someone to tell him it'll be alright.
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• Options
    edited January 2014
    He's "gone" from STO, if that's what you mean, but he's here at Cryptic working on a top secret new project; it's pretty exciting.

And no, what you're guessing is completely inaccurate and you know it :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    kantazo1 wrote: »
    He said he is working on something secret not in something secret STO related.

console gaming, big whoop!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So Dan left to work on yet another game for Cryptic. Any idea what IP Cryptic got their hands on this time? :P
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    Qa'pla! yay Qa'pla!

Add a big fat red Qapla'! for Dan from me as well for keeping that part of the promise and completeing the Klingon faction.

I hope the new-old EP continues the positive trend that Dan started this past year towards the KDF, but I'll miss him nevertheless.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    bye bye silent Stahl, was fun as long as it lasted.

welcome back @ F2P-EEPH,
    maybe now you can get to those "i call three featured episode series a year an epic win" that we talked about?

all the exciting things we've got planned for STO in 2014

mind sharing what those things are?
    because i really want something to look forward to with this game that is collecting dust on my SSD ...that i poured so much time and money into and now can't be bothered to play.

I know there is another "expansion" on the way, but if that will be 2014 or 15 idk, and if that means new faction or a big huge content update is another big ??? (i expect another faction, because you guys need more ships to sell and those $200 are of course nice too... but i really would want to see the story of STO continue, rather than be a pure means to introduce the next grind zone or another *viewpoint* of the things that already happened. And seriously, i don't see how you could shoehorn another Faction into the FED and KDF factions without making it utterly unbelievable)

summer and winter event are obligatory at this point
    (and at least for me NOT scratching that STAR TREK itch at all. I loved the quality of that Winter PvE Map, that i've played one round in... but at the same time i was totally creeped out how good the atmosphere was... and how much it reminded me of that SHREK movie... instead of STAR TREK...)

sooo... please! something to look forward to?

PS: last time i played my rear speakers were still making those clicking noises that i and many others reported right after the LoR release. I refuse to play this game as long as that bug isn't fixed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Lots of rotation as STO leader. When do I get my turn? ;)
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    He's "gone" from STO, if that's what you mean, but he's here at Cryptic working on a top secret new project; it's pretty exciting.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

quite a curious coincidence even so, this fugitive appears, cryptic wont confirm or deny its a member of staff at the work place or one kicked out. and suddenly stahl drops out for an exciting "top secret project" within PWE.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    hypl wrote: »
    So Dan left to work on yet another game for Cryptic. Any idea what IP Cryptic got their hands on this time? :P

The Agents of Shield MMO lol

You will hunt down the remaining players of CO because they are too dangerous to be out in the world.

Edit: Oh yeah I also want to be in charge of the KDF production its simple I get no pay, no KDF production, and I get a fancy Cryptic title as an unpaid employee.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited January 2014

My guesses...
    My Little Pony MMO?
    Hello Kitty Fight Club?
  • Options
    themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Mass Effect Online P2W Power Creep Supreme Edition, now with Star-Wars Like Flavor!
  • Options
    vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    quite a curious coincidence even so, this fugitive appears, cryptic wont confirm or deny its a member of staff at the work place or one kicked out. and suddenly stahl drops out for an exciting "top secret project" within PWE.

I have a feelin there is an unspoken truth here.

Is there a game afoot ?
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• Options
    captaingalaxy1captaingalaxy1 Member Posts: 202 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It is sad that Dan is leaving the Star Trek Online Team but I wish him well.

Welcome Stephen D'Angelo the ship is yours.

Its going to be intresting watching Star Trek Online develop over 2014.
    "Omega Class will prevail she cannot be defeated!"
  • Options
    zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The Agents of Shield MMO lol

I think Gazillion would call dibs on that one ;)

btw. i'm playing with my F2P Iron Man over there in that other corner of the Internet (and Heretic plays content designer over there too!)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    themarie wrote: »
    Mass Effect Online P2W Power Creep Supreme Edition, now with Star-Wars Like Flavor!

can it wait for a bit? im in the middle of some calibrations. :P
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I wish you luck, new captain, if you want us to like you, you will kill the ARC beast (jaberwacki?) and let us have a dedicated launcher without a bunch of data collection to sell to china and spam for unrelated games or products.
  • Options
    argent007argent007 Member Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    so is DStahl gone from STO for real this time? damn it man this is entirely uncalled for and you know it....

still, stop in for a visit every once in a while? perhaps join us in-game for an STF every once in a while?
    Hello Kitty Fight Club?

WE DON'T TALK ABOUT FIGHT CLUB!!!~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hrmm, suppose I should start off with the welcome (but c'mon, that's almost cruel to say - offering condolences would probably be taken the wrong way too - ahem)...

...but I want to get in on the What's Dan Doing Now? game!

Based on his previous experience, things said here and there...

Cryptic's going to be coming out with a CCG/MOBA game that's web based...

...or maybe web based Klingon Monopoly!...

...but yeah, back to the welcome thing - hrmm, this isn't a repeat of the interim thing again, eh?
  • Options
    reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    kantazo1 wrote: »
    Dude I was here when they said they will never sell the game to PWE and BOOM sold. :mad:

Been here since beta, and they never said that.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Commander: Welcome aboard

Captain: thank you, this is not my first command you know...

Commander: I am aware of that sir, here is my transfer request...

Captain: what?

Commander: I have served with you before, your style of command is a train wreck that I barely survived last time, between the lack of communication and the deception, I'll skip this rerun back to the dark ages....it was a horrible ride, hold that transport, have my things forwarded to Star Base 139.

Welcome back Stephen "Bring the Grind" D'Angelo....there is no where but up! (I hope)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]