test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Captain on the Bridge

Comments

• jimpa79jimpa79 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    D'AS Bug :D

(Ok maybe german speakers understand this)

Haha, I got it... From Sweden :D
    STO Veteran and Monthly Subscriber since day 1 (release).
    Closed & Opened BETA player.
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You know it's always an encouraging sign when the Chief Rat has jumped ship.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I've played a few games before... do you know what happens when you play Executive Producer musical chairs more than two or three times?
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
  • xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I've played a few games before... do you know what happens when you play Executive Producer musical chairs more than two or three times?

Cake for everyone?
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • astro2244astro2244 Member Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The Agents of Shield MMO lol

You will hunt down the remaining players of CO because they are too dangerous to be out in the world.

Edit: Oh yeah I also want to be in charge of the KDF production its simple I get no pay, no KDF production, and I get a fancy Cryptic title as an unpaid employee.

Please this ^^^^ I would pay money anyday for a S.h.i.e.l.d. mmo lol.
    [SIGPIC]583px-Romulan_Star_Empire_logo%2C_2379.svg.png
    [/SIGPIC]
  • knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    TBH, I have my misgivings about Stephen taking the helm once again. Last time it happened, we got tons of extremely vague and far in between dev blogs by D'angelo that communicated absolutely zilch about where the game was going. Let's just say it wasn't a fun time. No offense but I prefer Dan.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The last time Mr. Stephen D'Angelo was in charge, he was splitting his time between being the Chief Technology Officer at Cryptic, and STO. Is it still the case that he's primarily Cryptic's CTO; and thus will be splitting time between that and further STO development?

I honestly was not impressed the last time Mr. Stephen D'Angelo was the STO Executive Producer; and honestly, he'd have to do a fair bit to change my impression of him. That said, I think Dan's been rather hands off for quite a while, and he's been letting Al Rivera run things, which IMO hasn't been all that great for STO of late either, as all we've been getting is additional grind with little story mission additions (which I believe Al stated in one of his recent interviews that STO has too much of anyway.)

Still I hope we see something more then PvE Grind content in the future, but time will tell.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You know it's always an encouraging sign when the Chief Rat has jumped ship.

You mean him? http://www.babybites.info/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/ratatouille51.jpg
  • sovakofvulcansovakofvulcan Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Congrats Dan on the new posting and as the Romulans say, "Glohhaasi' mnekha"...

Welcome back to the center seat Stephen...
    Admiral Jisil T'ror
    Admiral Sovak
    “Does anyone remember when we used to be explorers...”
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hey Stephen,

Can you please tell us about "that guy" hired to work exclusively on the Foundry? We never heard from him after you announced his presence a long time ago.

It's been obvious that Dan Stahl is MIA for a long time. Let's hope that you give a damn that nobody is in charge of the Foundry for STO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    A while back I responded to a survey of the best STO seasons from 1 to 8. The one where D'Angelo was EP and Dstahl left for Zynga was at the bottom of the list.

My morale for STO is now slipping from cautious optimism to skeptical uncertainty.

Congrats on your new posting, Dan. I know I've been highly critical of you before, but I've tried to be fair and objective. For all my criticisms of your leadership, the fact I can proudly say you more or less single-handedly turned this game around with the rest of the dev team after Zink left... it should be the biggest compliment you can get.

Stephen...

... I really don't know what to say about you. You're a back-end systems guy. You aren't Executive Producer material. You have talent and skill and the work you've done on the tech of STO is nothing short of fantastic.

But you have no people skills. You have no idea how to handle public relations. Your last stint as EP lowered my morale in STO to the lowest it had ever been before. You refused to communicate with us in an effective manner. You replaced the honest truth Dstahl was known for with weasel words and non-statements as issued to you by the publisher.

I think you're an okay guy. But those of us who were with you back then wanted you gone from the position of EP. It was often joked that you were begging Dstahl to take his job back considering how much of us were (justifiably) foaming at the mouth for your perceived incompetence.

I really hope you learned your lessons from your previous stint, Stephen. Because otherwise you're going to be back to pulling your hair out and looking for someone else to replace you. And the constant passing of the torch signals uncertaintly and ill-preparedness.

Furthermore it hurts player morale when people demonstrate they can't do the job and pass the ball.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • ramarblackhandramarblackhand Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Last time Stephen D'Angelo ran things it was bad. Now we have him again not a great way to start the new year.
  • aquitaine900aquitaine900 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I see no problem here, Dan spent most of his time lying through his teeth about PvP, and D'Angelo never made any real impression when he had the helm.

Maybe it was better to at least have the devil you know?

What time is the effigy burning?
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    Well the announcement over PWE having brought Cryptic was in May 2011, Stahl left in September 20 for ... Zynga, returned in December and became EP again on February 13, 2012,

Season 4 was July 7, 2011 and Season 5 (F2P) was in December 1.

Stephen D'Angelo acted as Interim Executive Producer from October, meaning he had exactly 2 months before Season 5, Stahl had 3 (July, August and September) so acting as if D'Angelo was the sole responsible for F2P conversation is not exactly true, the first build of Season 5 hit Tribble on 29 September 2011.

I say this, with Stephen D'Angelo I am pretty sure the "The 2800" was done under him and since Stahl return there was a shift towards grind, I recall the 375:1 Dilithium exchange rates pre-season 6 and you can see them now, most of 2012 and 2013 were done under Stahl and if you want to say Lock Boxes are D'Angelo creation I going to point out they werent removed after.

I cannot say for sure but it was under Stahl we got the Fleet system and then the Omega and Romulan reputation systems .... and the Fleet Holdings as well as the Tholian Reputation and the Dyson Sphere Reputation, to be fair we also got the Romulan fraction but its not fair to blame D'Angelo for the grind, after all when did you started to have to grind as a subscriber? with D'Angelo or Stahl?

Sure whatever floats your boat :)
  • angelphoenix12angelphoenix12 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    He's "gone" from STO, if that's what you mean, but he's here at Cryptic working on a top secret new project; it's pretty exciting.

And no, what you're guessing is completely inaccurate and you know it :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

joy even less love for champions online. im glad he has a need job, I just feel as though champions will be downgraded yet again
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited January 2014
    I, for one, welcome our new programmatical Overlord!
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited January 2014
    joy even less love for champions online. im glad he has a need job, I just feel as though champions will be downgraded yet again

Why would champs be affected by Dan going from STO to a different team?
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • ct2060ct2060 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Would that new secret project be Star Trek Online 2.0? With massive open galaxy exploration, random New worlds, with New species popping up? With galactic territorial control? Piloting your ship from the bridge? ;)

You and I are going to be good friends.
  • angelphoenix12angelphoenix12 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »

because every time a game is getting develop it is the champions devs that are moved to work on it and champions linger in its dismal state.
  • shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well, it's raining outside.

I guess that means the game/the KDF/Champions Online/the world is doomed.
  • anshraanshra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Thanks Dan and good luck with the new thing.

Welcome back Ste, Lets not upset eachother, and good luck in the new (old)Role!
    - Into the jaws of hell.
  • genadagenada Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The game really has improved and been getting better. Often times it may seem like everything is just bad and nothing good is happening but it's just not true. Many people are enjoying and having fun in Star Trek Online and while always wanting to see things get better, they are having a overall happy experience. So thank you Mr Stahl and the rest of the STO team for making a fun game that we can all enjoy, best of luck with your next project.

Looking forward to seeing further improvement to the game and to enjoying it more. Thank you to all the people that work on making STO the game it is and making it better and better over the years.
  • sonoraknightsonoraknight Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Daniel's lead of STO has been a great run. I've enjoyed the way the devs have listened to the players, made grinding as much as paying-to-get ahead. I'm looking forward to hearing about the project Daniel is joining. I'm way psyched that Stephen is taking the reigns. I'm hoping as this particular MMO develops we continue to see the attitude: Make it So!
  • hitonozanshihitonozanshi Member Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Not to be a "Debbie Downer", but we did the Steve D'Angelo thing for a while. Player-dev relations were flushed down the toilet during that time. I hope the second term involves more communication and great things.
    The Jar kitty is watching you. :D
  • druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »

Because that "different team" is a whole other team that didn't exist prior to the start of this new announced project. Which means, it's staffed by people from either the CO, STO or Neverwinter teams. Ergo, less people on the teams for existing games.

Should focus on fixing your existing games before adding yet another half-baked game.
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,170 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Good luck and all the very very best Dan with your new project, I hope all goes well for you. Stephen a huge welcome. Again all the very very best.
  • emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The change of Exec-Prod is irrelevant when it's still Geko who really calls the shots and continues to ignore player opinion on what goes into the game.
  • johncampbell07johncampbell07 Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Congratulations and welcome aboard.

Since I don't get the opportunity to speak with Star Fleet Command directly I would like to avail myself this opportunity to post some serious consideration requests.

I too have seen the original series as it aired and many of the sequel creations that followed as well as all of the feature length movies. Having grown up with Star Trek this STO (Cryptic) effort brought back many fond memories and the thirst to hopefully see something of an actual warp drive star ship launched while I'm still alive to see it. Obviously I have my doubts that such will happen in my life time, but with the development of the cell phone (Star Trek communicator) and now the development of the, and soon to be released on the market, Medical Tricorder slated for this fall of 2014 after FDA approval, anything of the reality is a welcome sight.

Having said that, the reality part is what's on my mind. Could the good folks at STO put a bit more focus into giving us a more realistic looking graphic of the various ships, space stations, characters and so on as opposed to something that takes on a more cartoonist look?

Also, could we get back to the realism of scientific study and theory, the things that made what some call scientific babble due to a lack of scientific study, the part of Star Trek that today has come to fruition in reality? Case in point, the Dyson Sphere. Little to no lead up is involved for the existence of a Dyson Sphere so many people have no clue what a Dyson Sphere actually is nor what it would take to create such a feat. The story line around this part of STO gives no story line to even try to suggest why there would be an external surface of a Dyson Sphere that has an atmosphere nor gravity. Further, the theory relies on a star within the sphere to supply the basic survival needs within the sphere's inner wall and yet no effort is being shown to suggest anyone is seeking any entry inside the sphere.

Then there's the dinosaur thing. That one went over the top. Unless STO gets back to the realism aspect you might as well contract Fisher Price to do the graphics work. Just one Captains opinion.

Anyway, so as not to put a damper on anyone's spirits, there's my two cents worth and a sincere welcome aboard. I'm looking forward to an adventure and all the experiences in excellence to come.

Vice Admiral John Campbell
    Captain: U.S.S. Vengeance, U.S.S. Crusader
  • vamankvamank Member Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    astro2244 wrote: »
    To paraphrase Picard, Stahl: "And in maritime tradition, I wish you clear horizons... my friend, make it so."

You mean Fair Winds and Following Seas.
    Admiral%20sig%202.png
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,170 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    genada wrote: »
    The game really has improved and been getting better. Often times it may seem like everything is just bad and nothing good is happening but it's just not true. Many people are enjoying and having fun in Star Trek Online and while always wanting to see things get better, they are having a overall happy experience. So thank you Mr Stahl and the rest of the STO team for making a fun game that we can all enjoy, best of luck with your next project.

Looking forward to seeing further improvement to the game and to enjoying it more. Thank you to all the people that work on making STO the game it is and making it better and better over the years.

I agree entirely. The Devs and EVERYONE involved with STO should be commended for their hardwork and dedication. Everyone involved with STO has brought us the most enjoyable MMO ever.

I wish Dan all the very very best in his new project, and wish him every success with it.