What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Captain on the Bridge

Comments

• Options
    rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    DOOOOOOOOM! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously though, welcome back to the Captain's chair, here's hoping 2014 rocks.
    bridges.jpg
    Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade
  • Options
    kantazo1kantazo1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Good luck to whoever sits on that hot chair.
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
  • Options
    seannewboyseannewboy Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The King is dead, Long live the King! Congrats Daniel and Congrats Stephen!
    New home of the Romulan Republic.
    I have an idea for what Season 11 should be; Season 11: The Big Bug Fix.
    I have not been able to read my bug tickets in over a year, not even the tickets about not being able to see my tickets.
    I find the drama of your signature proof of your immaturity, this means you, DR whiners.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    longasc wrote: »
    I always appreciated the short no-nonsense way of communication by Stephen D'Angelo.

And here is a photo of the new Captain:

http://bradfordrogne.blogspot.de/2012/05/stephen-dangelo-photographed-by.html

He wishes he look like that, more like this

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-AUXP5RFjFrw/TpKivmx5-iI/AAAAAAAAAds/aBkV4M4OK40/s1600/11beard.jpg
  • Options
    rheatitanrheatitan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    all this has happened before and it will happen again :P
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Because this worked out *so* well the last time they played music all producers...
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    How can we call this game music chairs, captain hot potato, space chairs? :D

Let the music begins!!! ;)
  • Options
    pappalezliepappalezlie Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Good luck in the captain!s chair. And thanks for the work to Dan Stahl.
  • Options
    xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Not surprised as he hasn't communicated in along time to the community. A lot of broken promises when he was the EP of the game. Hopefully this change in leadership will be good.

Top secret project, mmm Farmville 3?

To the new EP, I hope you can get this game on a more straight road. Lets get bugs fixed up, get this game respected and bring a lot more interesting content for the game. And.. Don't make promises that your not going to fulfill. That's my suggestion to you. Talk with the community be open to us, and honest. Good luck
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Now that they got this out there I am ready for their doom blog.
  • Options
    mavgeekrsamavgeekrsa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    He's "gone" from STO, if that's what you mean, but he's here at Cryptic working on a top secret new project; it's pretty exciting.

And no, what you're guessing is completely inaccurate and you know it :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Any chance we could get an opportunity to sit down & talk with the new EP for an episode?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    redshirtarmy.com - RedShirtArmy Podcast
    STO / Cryptic member since 2009 (mavgeek)
  • Options
    xaben82xaben82 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    sorry, its no deja vu? :)

thanks daniel for all your efforts to realize this fabulous game and all the best for your future! llap xaben

salute to the new captain!
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    mavgeekrsa wrote: »
    Any chance we could get an opportunity to sit down & talk with the new EP for an episode?

You have more chance to win the lottery without buying a ticket than getting an opportunity to sit down with the new EP :D
  • Options
    wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    well be welcome new overlord. i really hope pvp, just like some other things like crafting, exploration, etc. will get some more love now :).

just wondering: why did dan stahl not said goodbye, will he? or will he even come back by plan?
  • Options
    astro2244astro2244 Member Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    To paraphrase Picard, Stahl: "And in maritime tradition, I wish you clear horizons... my friend, make it so."
    [SIGPIC]583px-Romulan_Star_Empire_logo%2C_2379.svg.png
    [/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    warpedcorewarpedcore Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Congratulations, I suppose. Sadly, Dan has been vacant from these parts for a long time. You could have changed EP and we'd never have known without the announcement. I hope Mr. D'Angelo is more interactive with his player-base than Dan was.
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited January 2014
    I don't expect doom. I don't expect much change at all since they, for the moment, are not bringing in a brand new person to the game. Rather they seem to be going with someone who has been intimately familiar with the game for years. I highly doubt we'll see a lot changing from the direction they had been going.

To paraphrase:

"I for one welcome our new overlord. I'd like to remind him that as a trusted Foundry podcast personality, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in his underground sugar caves."
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    willomallywillomally Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Given the fact that the studio that is now Cryptic North is know for a age of sail pirate game I think the project will be along the same lines. They can use the expertise from that genre and build a game in a shorter time frame in the cryptic engine. Cryptic gets a return on their investment in a shorter time frame and we get a game in genre that lends itself to the mechanics from STO ,and isn't over saturates ie the fantasy genre.:D
    [SIGPIC]

Look at the pretty mushroom grow
  • Options
    e1ime1im Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    All of this has happened before and will happen again...
  • Options
    tachyonharmonictachyonharmonic Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    If I'm being frank, I think this can mean only good for the game.
  • Options
    captainleavittcaptainleavitt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    well maybe now stuff will get done in this game, hint hint tell the damn story that hasn't progressed for what 4 years now.
  • Options
    lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    That's because when they said we're not going F2P, they meant AT THE TIME. Anyone who knows business knows that 'at the time' can and probably will change. In fact, priorities change on a semi-regular basis

'At that time?' It was less than 48 hours before the official announcement, the statement that triggered the banning was a direct result of a leak from an official meeting. Don't feed me the 'at the time' bs.
    So yes, the community does have some share of the blame, no matter how you splice it imo.

Blaming the community again
    Because people jumped to conclusions that what they're working on was set in stone instead of 'we'd like to do this, but we'll see'.

Official statements are not 'we'll see' they are official statements. and exactly how is revealing whats going to happen a couple days in the future 'jumping to conclusions'
    Again, what they say will happen and won't happen is 'at the time'.

Except that isn't how it works. Evidently you aren't aware of how the design process actually works, the amount of effort that goes into it and the fact that everything has to be decided on and approved before anything is actually done. and by your logic nobody should ever be held accountable for anything they say ever. Nor should anyone believe anything they say ever.

That aside, I can't say I like being told they're all excited at what 2014 holds, only to have the EP jump ship, for a second time a couple weeks later. Especially since it reads alot like the situation the last time it happened
    but it is the 3rd EP since I started playing and the 4th since beta

Give it time, eventually we'll be able to refer to them as 'the sixpack' which ironically is actually one of those 'you know your game is in trouble when...' quotes.
  • Options
    robertdamonrobertdamon Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I don't post here often but just wanted to say a big thank you Dan for all your efforts on STO over the years - it's been much appreciated!

And welcome back Stephen!
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I like you Lazarus. :D
  • Options
    effaeldmeffaeldm Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Congratulations to both on the new positions, hopefully this will bring enjoyment to you, to those you work with and to those who play what you work on :)

I don't really know what occured here before, but I hope if anything was wrong that is stays in the past, at this time, I love STO as it is, though certainly I'd love for it to become even better :)
    worffan101 wrote: »
    My personal hints for keeping the playerbase happy: Do not under any circumstances even HINT at a future lib borg faction. Stay geeky. Keep Klingon content and gear up to par, and don't be afraid to give the Empire some extra teeth. Stay geeky. Put lots of references to canon in. Don't nerf things overmuch. Stay geeky. Keep your promises to the player base. Stay geeky. Have fun. Stay geeky.

If you do that, I for one promise to be content. Especially that "Stay geeky" part; that's important. One of the reasons I play this game is that it's run by geeks, for geeks. This is a good thing.

Very well said :) Particularly about the references to canon - and of course the "Stay geeky" part :cool:

It makes me wonder how we have statues and photos and portraits and movies and games and the like dedicated to famous people - how are the Ferengi missing the business opportunity to sell all the relevant items? Particularly with the progress allowing for even more possibilities at that. Just imagine a holoprogram of any historical Star Trek event...

Edit with a comment: found a misprint in my post above, it was "It makes mo wonder [...] how are the Ferengi missing the business opportunity" In case anyone might not know, http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Marauder_Mo Now that looks like a Freudian slip...
  • Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    stofsk wrote: »
    I wish Dan well and hope he's successful in his new project.

As do I. Though now I am curiuos what new thingy he is working on.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited January 2014
    Welcome back, Stephen :) Looking forward to working with you again as a colleague, and all the exciting things we've got planned for STO in 2014 as a player!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    panserbjorne39panserbjorne39 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Considering the good KDF things that have happened in the last year I have mixed feelings about Dstahls bye bye. He has been pretty silent since LoR launched though. The real person I'd love to see move on or step down is the infamous Captain Dino Derpy aka Captain Geko.
    My real hope is that our new EP will give some more attention to PvP including all cross faction Queues and new play modes other than Arena or Cap N Splode.
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    IMO pretty much this was coming since a vast majority of players you knew before S7 no longer play due to reputation system. Some returned for a short while during LoR but that momentum they gained during LoR did not carry into Season 8 which their metrics show this and most likely why they pushed out some KDF stuff due to Season 8 not being what it was cracked up to be with all the hype.