What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Arcgames.com is Ready for your Feedback

Comments

• Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Y'know, it's funny - I use the old version of Arc. It does nothing but sit there. I don't bother it and it doesn't bother me. I'm pretty sure the new version will do just the same. You people and your tin-foil hats, seriously...!
  • Options
    mattmiraclemattmiracle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Just a heads up, I am not in the crowd of "Don't Want it" nor am I in the crowd of "best thing since sliced bread." With that being said...

Launching STO on my main account seems fine. The only issue I have will be changing accounts once the launcher for STO is removed. At this time, I can log into my main account and then logout of STO to switch to any one of my 5 (yes that is FIVE accounts).

My problem comes in the fact that if you have STO (or it appears any game for that matter) open, you must close the game before you can switch accounts. Say I am playing on my main account (which is the one I do forum posts on .. aka this one). While I am in STO, I want to be able to add Zen to one of my other accounts. If Arc replaces the actual website, then I wont be able to use my second screen to add Zen to other accounts.

Any Recommendations for this issue? No, I am not looking for answers like "Don't use Arc" as again, I am not in with that crowd. I am asking an honest question in response to a request for feedback. I will respect opinions that are different to mine but again, I am asking honestly.
    Matt Miracle

Fleet Commander in Chief [Rank 7] for Covenant of Honor; a FED T5 Starbase
    House Leader [Rank 7] for Honorable House of Mor'gue; a KDF T3 Starbase
    Find us at CovenantofHonor.com.  My Twitter handle; @jmattmiracle
  • Options
    generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited January 2014
    Just a heads up, I am not in the crowd of "Don't Want it" nor am I in the crowd of "best thing since sliced bread." With that being said...

Launching STO on my main account seems fine. The only issue I have will be changing accounts once the launcher for STO is removed. At this time, I can log into my main account and then logout of STO to switch to any one of my 5 (yes that is FIVE accounts).

My problem comes in the fact that if you have STO (or it appears any game for that matter) open, you must close the game before you can switch accounts. Say I am playing on my main account (which is the one I do forum posts on .. aka this one). While I am in STO, I want to be able to add Zen to one of my other accounts. If Arc replaces the actual website, then I wont be able to use my second screen to add Zen to other accounts.

Any Recommendations for this issue? No, I am not looking for answers like "Don't use Arc" as again, I am not in with that crowd. I am asking an honest question in response to a request for feedback. I will respect opinions that are different to mine but again, I am asking honestly.

This here my friend is good feedback and it si similar into what I was going to say in regards to my feedback....Currently for reason that I do not want to mentioned I am forced to use 2 different accounts... both in STO and the Forums.... I am fine with having the current setting that lets me launch ARC into my main account (Account X - to reference) and being able to use a different account in the forums (Account Y -to reference) so being able to launch my game trough account X and being able to post through to the forums through account Y is a help to me... If cryptic keeps this this way, like you mentioned, mattmiracle, then having Arc running in my pc wont be a problem at all :)
  • Options
    o0kami87o0kami87 Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited January 2014

you could try using a virtual pc application if your rig can handle running an os within an os and two or more sto games all at the same time. I personally just log out ingame and re-log in on my other game, ARC stays loged into my primary, and my f2p is on sto.
    First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
  • Options
    bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited January 2014
    I have Steam, it installed STO and every other PWE game I needed and uninstalled it fine.

I do not need nor do I want ARC. I do not want more processes running in the background causing conflicts. If this is your answer to Origins and Steam then please do not proceed any further.

I hate Origins and have boycotted EA. I like Steam and continue to use them as they provide me with everything ARC does.

I DO NOT WANT ARC.

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    here is more of my feedback in regards to this.... I personally love the feel and look of the arcgames.com website... but since I am a guild leader.. having access to several website is important to me....

in my part having some sort of personal "Home Page" will be a great help... or ever some sort of "Speeddial" in which im able to quickly access important websites.... other than that so far so good...

matter a fact... all my post in the past4hrs have been made only using the ingame overlay.... this is a good improvement... I will no longer have to run my game in widowed mode....

so that said.... so far so good.... will give more feedback as I find stuff!!! :)
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    o0kami87 wrote: »
    you could try using a virtual pc application if your rig can handle running an os within an os and two or more sto games all at the same time.

Well, my rig can handle two instances of STO without issue though a third is choppy (have to purchase a better video card).
    This here my friend is good feedback and it si similar into what I was going to say in regards to my feedback....Currently for reason that I do not want to mentioned I am forced to use 2 different accounts... both in STO and the Forums.... I am fine with having the current setting that lets me launch ARC into my main account (Account X - to reference) and being able to use a different account in the forums (Account Y -to reference) so being able to launch my game trough account X and being able to post through to the forums through account Y is a help to me... If cryptic keeps this this way, like you mentioned, mattmiracle, then having Arc running in my pc wont be a problem at all :)

Yes, if there is an alternate way of logging into the Arc (say directly from a website) and a way to "easily and quickly" change accounts from in the same game, I see no issues with Arc. However, if I have to log out of Account 1 in Arc before I can log into Account 2 in STO, then I will have serious issues.

It is really nice to be able to quickly change accounts from the STO launcher especially during bonus events.

I should have added the below to my original post but I will add it here.

I have a full, paid subscription to AVG Business class AV on my network. AVG is set for mildly aggressive scanning and has not found any issues with Arc. You guys have heard of things call "False Positives" right? Its funny, I have used several AV programs between home and work and yet there are always "false positives" and "false negatives."

I am not trying to call out individuals. I merely want to point out that there are other possible causes to an AV saying something is infected. It could be that an updated heuristic puts Arc in the same boat as maleware without actually being maleware. I am quite sure we all have made judgments about individuals based on a crowd. :) I know I am guilty of a quick judgement a time or two myself.
    Matt Miracle

• Options
    edited January 2014

Yes, if there is an alternate way of logging into the Arc (say directly from a website) and a way to "easily and quickly" change accounts from in the same game, I see no issues with Arc. However, if I have to log out of Account 1 in Arc before I can log into Account 2 in STO, then I will have serious issues.

It is really nice to be able to quickly change accounts from the STO launcher especially during bonus events.

I should have added the below to my original post but I will add it here.

To test this issue I decide to do the following.....

I am currently doing this....

Playing STO through account Z
    Posting on STO forums through account Y
    and currently logged into ARC through account X

meaning that I am using 3 different accounts all at once.... and I have so far not found the issue where you have to log out of arc in order to run a diff account....

if you are trying to change accounts through ARC itself you'll find that problem.... but as the game currently is.... you can log out and log in through different accounts using the "Log Out" option by hitting ESC on the main menu.......

and yes... this is through keeping ARC and STO running at once... with out exiting out of either of them.... but I can see that if you are refering to logging into 2 different accounts through ARC itself and runnning STO while doing that... that is a problem.... which would be great if it had someway to log into another account through ARC with STO running on the background/foreground whichever you call it...
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    To test this issue I decide to do the following.....

I am currently doing this....

Playing STO through account Z
    Posting on STO forums through account Y
    and currently logged into ARC through account X

meaning that I am using 3 different accounts all at once.... and I have so far not found the issue where you have to log out of arc in order to run a diff account....

if you are trying to change accounts through ARC itself you'll find that problem.... but as the game currently is.... you can log out and log in through different accounts using the "Log Out" option by hitting ESC on the main menu.......

and yes... this is through keeping ARC and STO running at once... with out exiting out of either of them.... but I can see that if you are refering to logging into 2 different accounts through ARC itself and runnning STO while doing that... that is a problem.... which would be great if it had someway to log into another account through ARC with STO running on the background/foreground whichever you call it...

You don't all you have to do is keep your main account logged into arc. Then find the client .exe file and do create short cut to desktop under admin and then any alt accounts run those under the short cut.

Right now thats how I am logging in because arc is causing so much problems for me.
  • Options
    dezstravusdezstravus Member, Cryptic Developers Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Star Trek has it's web Gateway, Neverwinter has its' Sword Coast Adventures web game, but these are strangely absent from arcgames.com.

I would think that you would want to provide some kind of link or access from the Arc site.

Hi Bluegeek,

Great point. I think we need to add more prominent links to those. Let me pass the feedback along.

Thank you!
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I have a full, paid subscription to AVG Business class AV on my network. AVG is set for mildly aggressive scanning and has not found any issues with Arc. You guys have heard of things call "False Positives" right? Its funny, I have used several AV programs between home and work and yet there are always "false positives" and "false negatives."

I am not trying to call out individuals. I merely want to point out that there are other possible causes to an AV saying something is infected. It could be that an updated heuristic puts Arc in the same boat as maleware without actually being maleware. I am quite sure we all have made judgments about individuals based on a crowd. :) I know I am guilty of a quick judgement a time or two myself.

Also on that topic... I am currently using AVG as my AV software.... and is set to warn me of any potential threat.... and so far I got to say that AVG has not had a problem with ARC (:
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    I will say this: My malware and virus scanners HATE ARC. They give me a warning every one minute and thirteen seconds, on average. My free Avira and Malwarebytes packages consider ARC to be malware.

What software are you using? I heard a rumor that Norton doesn't have an issue with ARC.

Thanks for reporting the issues with Malwarebytes and Avira. I will pass along the reports and we will look into what is causing that. Arc doesn't contain any malware or spyware, so we will see what could be causing the alert to go off.
  • Options
    ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,450 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Let me start of by saying I am all for a unified game launcher and websites with a unified architecture... for those who play more than 1 Cryptic/PWE game.

Myself, I play STO primarily and sometimes Champions and Jade Dynasty.

What I am not in favor of is...

A) A program that is forced to run in the background while playing a Cryptic/PWE game.
    B) A program that cannot be stopped while a Cryptic/PWE game is running that is started through Arc.
    C) A program that is apparently tracking me while it is running. I am sure some of this is tracking games I play and time playing, but my question is... What else are you tracking?
    D) A program that duplicates other social networking programs that I am currently using. Why add this? it simply uses more of a system's resources when the object is to get people to play the games not idle and chat.
    E) A program that spams me with advertisements for other Cryptic/PWE games that I have no interest in downloading/playing.
    F) A program that has a built-in web browser which has little to no security.
    G) A program that is eventually going to replace all Cryptic/PWE launchers.
    H) Cherry-picking the questions the developers have or will answer while not addressing all other feedback already given by the STO community in this thread and the others that have been posted to.

From my experience using Arc, the program is nothing more than bloatware/adware/spyware. I neither need it, nor want it on my PC. I have tested the previous version and this new Beta version. Yes, the interface and imagery are much improved, but...

Even if you put lipstick on a pig... it's still a pig.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • Options
    o0kami87o0kami87 Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    dezstravus wrote: »
    Hi Bluegeek,

Great point. I think we need to add more prominent links to those. Let me pass the feedback along.

Thank you!

I assume this means Gateway will continue to be accessible? or better still continue to be developed?
    First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
  • Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So...

PWE = Cyberdyne, Arc = Skynet, dezstravus = Miles Dyson ?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Snip ... and yes... this is through keeping ARC and STO running at once... with out exiting out of either of them.... but I can see that if you are refering to logging into 2 different accounts through ARC itself and runnning STO while doing that... that is a problem.... which would be great if it had someway to log into another account through ARC with STO running on the background/foreground whichever you call it...

Thank you for the test. I know that we can do this now. My concern however, is when the STO launcher is no longer be used down the road. How will we be able to quickly and easily change accounts if the current launcher is going away.
    Matt Miracle

• Options
    movodormovodor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have precisely zero desire to use ARC, and will not at all until it is made mandatory.

Why is it ever going to be? It provides no functionality for me that I want or need.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    I will say this: My malware and virus scanners HATE ARC. They give me a warning every one minute and thirteen seconds, on average. My free Avira and Malwarebytes packages consider ARC to be malware.

What software are you using? I heard a rumor that Norton doesn't have an issue with ARC.

Updated reply to this:

Please let us know if your system provided any context for the warning. Did a specific behavior or element of the software trigger the warning? Please feel free to post it here or send the info to arc_feedback@perfectworld.com and we'll be happy to look into it.

Thanks!

Noel
  • Options
    icegavelicegavel Member Posts: 991 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This is my feedback on anything regarding ARC. As the Daleks once said...

EX-TER-MI-NATE! EX-TER-MI-NAAAAAAATE!

In all seriousness, ARC is bad for business. Please stop.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    o0kami87 wrote: »
    I assume this means Gateway will continue to be accessible? or better still continue to be developed?

Hey there,

Gateway should continue to exist. The issue right now is more that it exists, but the user experience of finding it via Arcgames.com could be improved by having more links to it.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    dezstravus wrote: »
    Updated reply to this:

Please let us know if your system provided any context for the warning. Did a specific behavior or element of the software trigger the warning? Please feel free to post it here or send the info to arc_feedback@perfectworld.com and we'll be happy to look into it.

Thanks!

Noel

I am going to be running tests on this new Arc version. Will be interesting to see if it still snoops/data mines into my other hard drives, sends the data onto PWE servers, and does it all despite not allowing the sharing of data.

I have had advice and have been given a few tools from work, to see what it actually does on my virtual system.

From my initial look into the program, you might have some copyright issues with steam....
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    edited January 2014
    So...

PWE = Cyberdyne, Arc = Skynet, dezstravus = Miles Dyson ?

I can't take credit for inventing anything. :) My job is to deliver important communications, so I call the T-800.
  • Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hey dezstravus, can I ask an honest question? I've heard that ARC will become mandatory at some point. If it's always going to be optional, you can ignore this post and stop reading it now. But if what I've heard is true... why? You won't be getting anything good from me by forcing this down my throat, I certainly won't be buying any more zen if ARC becomes forced. I don't play any other PWE or Cryptic games and I have zero intention of doing so. So why would I have to have ARC? So I can have features I don't want nor need, and have ads shoved in my face?

I appreciate that you are at least communicating, but it would go a long way to give an honest answer to this question.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Thank you for the test. I know that we can do this now. My concern however, is when the STO launcher is no longer be used down the road. How will we be able to quickly and easily change accounts if the current launcher is going away.

From what I gathered and saw on the small test I did.... changing accounts *hypothetically speaking if the current launcher is taken out and replaced by the unified ARC* should not be a problem at all.... The option to change accounts through STO itself when running will be there...

Meaning that you will be able to be logged into ARC through accounts "A" but be able to log into STO from accounts "B" to "Z", after which account "A" has been loaded and exited out of.....

So again.. from what I saw... That should not be a problem!! (:
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    From what I gathered and saw on the small test I did.... changing accounts *hypothetically speaking if the current launcher is taken out and replaced by the unified ARC* should not be a problem at all.... The option to change accounts through STO itself when running will be there...

Meaning that you will be able to be logged into ARC through accounts "A" but be able to log into STO from accounts "B" to "Z", after which account "A" has been loaded and exited out of.....

So again.. from what I saw... That should not be a problem!! (:

Thanks again for testing it out.
    Matt Miracle

• Options
    herpsterpnderpherpsterpnderp Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I already have one client program on my PC and that is Steam. Why? Because I trust them and they have most of the games I like. However, I was forced to download bloatware Origin in order to play BF4 which I have stopped playing because it was just purely awful in comparison to other FPS games. If PWE forces STO players to use ARC then it will be my farewell to this game once and for all. I've been playing Star Trek Online since beta and have only played it because it has "Star Trek" in its title. The game play is pretty much subpar next to a pile of dog s**t when compared to older Star Trek games like...Klingon Acadamy...you know... the game where you actually see torpedo's blasting huge holes in ship hulls and phasers making those cool looking char marks on the hull plating?

My pipe dream is for PWE and Cryptic to realize all the potential this game once had and how much of a failure it has become because no one was willing to push the boundaries. Imagine a Star Trek game where you could be a Dilithium miner and have your own ship or even a merchant and salvaging the spoils of war and derelict ships for parts and other commodities. Contestable territories and player bases/outposts that can be taken or destroyed.

So.....much....lost....potential...........

But in a nut shell. Force me to download ARC, and I will say a prayer and RIP Star Trek Online from my computers HDD and shut my PWE account down.
  • Options
    captan2er0captan2er0 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    voporak wrote: »
    Hey dezstravus, can I ask an honest question? I've heard that ARC will become mandatory at some point. If it's always going to be optional, you can ignore this post and stop reading it now. But if what I've heard is true... why? You won't be getting anything good from me by forcing this down my throat, I certainly won't be buying any more zen if ARC becomes forced. I don't play any other PWE or Cryptic games and I have zero intention of doing so. So why would I have to have ARC? So I can have features I don't want nor need, and have ads shoved in my face?

I appreciate that you are at least communicating, but it would go a long way to give an honest answer to this question.

I second this.

Not to be rude or anything here, but I signed on to STO four years ago for STO. Nothing more nothing less. Being able to access CO through the same launcher was nice for a quick getaway from things, especially after it opened up to Free to Play, but STO was always the primary reason why I looked into Cryptic games. I don't intend on going to any of the PWE games, as they don't catch my fancy. I understand the concept behind it, but to those of us who were funneled into the PWE pool, Voporak conveys how I feel about it. I know Not all don't feel the same way, but this is my two cents on the topic.

And add but two words if it is to be mandatory: HECK NO
    Signature%20Base%203%20copy.png?psid=1
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm sorry but ARC is still terrible with it's performance and I personally find the things that ARC offers as unnecessary for my gameplay. And I'm very much NOT interested in ARC.

So I ask is that you allow players to Opt Out of ARC and let us who wish to continue using the launchers of Cryptic games to do so. Because I will not tolerate the spy / bloat ware that the current ARC systems being installed on my computer.
  • Options
    dboura01dboura01 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well posting this from the client. Its a bit much, for a launcher, takes a minute to get used to a find everything, like key redemption. That took me a moment to find. Though I like setting up my own top image like ya do with facebook, but even with that, in my book, the newer client is a bit of an overkill. For browsing I prefer using firefox with adblock and various other safety aids which can't be utilized through here, yet no doubt exploitable from malicious ad scripts which the addons for browsers helps avoid and stop, much like other browser capable clients like steam as an example.

Not to mention with various guilds running their own sites, various searches, such as naming help like klingon translators for ship and character names in STO, now multiple browser programs are openned utilizing even more process and memory time. This can also aid in lagging.

So while it has benefits, such as social messaging, chatting, notifying, and networking. I still see it as a bit much. The non-beta one seemed streamlined better without the added bloat features (non-necessary addons) of the beta one.
This discussion has been closed.