Install Arc
Options

Arcgames.com is Ready for your Feedback

Comments

• Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hi Captains,

I appreciate those of you who have had a chance to check out the STO website side of Arc at http://games.arcgames.com/en/prod/star-trek-online. This is currently planned to become the new website for startrekonline.com in the not-too-distant, so you feedback is crucial.

It looks like TRIBBLE. Good luck with the PWE upgrade. It makes the forum "upgrade" seem like a huge step in the right direction.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dgdolphdgdolph Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I feel so sorry for the wonderful dev team of cryptic. ARC will be your downfall. All that you have done till now will be busted by ARC cuz everyone will quit STO. Must be cruel that everyone at cryptic knows about what's coming at them and that their jobs will be lost at that point. Can't imagine that anyone of the Devs doesn't hate ARC.

The date you're going to force Players to use it, will be the End of everything.

Almost forgot my feedback:
    DO NOT WANT!

- I do not want software that isn't needed to run a game but slows down my computer!
    - I do not want software that punches tons of ads into my face!
    - I do not want software that spys my harddisks just to send my personal data to china!
    - I do not want software that is a security risk! I already have a secured and nice browser!
    - I do not want you to waste resources on TRIBBLE instead of fixing bugs and developing new content!

I never asked for something like ARC. I do not need it and dammit I DO NOT WANT IT!
  • Options
    ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,450 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Food for thought...

With all the time and money spent on Arc, just how much of STO would be finally fixed if that money were spent here instead?
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • Options
    k4t3k4t3 Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Maybe I'm a bit dumb - why does PWE want to force us to use ARC? Coz many ppl will quit STO? And why are we getting a new website? Coz the old one is working well and we need more not working bad looking stuff where we get reminded of all the other pwe games that we don't want to play anyway?

Sorry dudes but if we would all play as many PWE games as you want us to, noone would have the money to pay your jobs via zen!!! Think of it!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    k4t3 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm a bit dumb - why does PWE want to force us to use ARC? Coz many ppl will quit STO? And why are we getting a new website? Coz the old one is working well and we need more not working bad looking stuff where we get reminded of all the other pwe games that we don't want to play anyway?

Sorry dudes but if we would all play as many PWE games as you want us to, noone would have the money to pay your jobs via zen!!! Think of it!

they are trying to fix something that isnt broken, which has worked well for years without issue. and now they want to replace it with an inferior product which they will likely take a lot of flak over. but if they are determined to push arc through and see what becomes of it? this seems quite risky.

i dunno why there isnt an open source non-profit group creating a free, spyware free and highly secure launcher that every game company can subscribe to without the additional hassle of working out who needs to pay what, that all games are listed from every known game company and that the paid amount all 99% of products goes back to the game companies while the combined 1% is used to keep this group in operation, it may not sound like much but it would be more then enough. it has a universal voip system that can plugin automatically to any other seperate system like ts, raid, skype and such. a secure high speed download from game company source server. with its own lite version of a drm that only checks games and like steam realizes the game was already upto date so that way the next time all you have to do is download the updated thing for another computer, none of this activation limits stuff.

sounds like a pipe dream, probably is. but common sense dictates that something like this d2d stuff needs something like this before long. a completely neutral medium.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    Nope, things in the 90's were FUNCTIONAL.

You know what it looks like?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/9900/

A Steam page ...

PWE is a chinese company...and what are those companies most talanted at? (Beside ignoring human rights etc.)

Correct, rip-offs! Cheap and illegal rip-offs ;)

Anyway, since this question hasn't been answered yet, we all should go on posting it again and again:

Will we be forced to use ARC at some point?

Other important questions I have in mind if that question is answered with "yes":

Will Lifetimers have a special client that won't need ARC? (This would be indeed a reason for me to become LT)

Will there be an Item in the C-Store to unlock starting STO without ARC? (Hell I'd buy it)
  • Options
    jimtkirkjimtkirk Member Posts: 0
    edited January 2014
    After using arc for a couple of months I can honestly say that, in it's present state, it is useless.

1) Characters on STO cannot be added.

2) Friends added in game do not appear as friends on Arc.

3) Fleets joined in game cannot be listed on Arc.

4) The Arc profile is poorly done. Listing of favorites does not make a "Profile"

5) When going to anything connected to Arc (Core Connect or the Forums) one must STILL log in yet again. If you want a central hub like Arc it SHOULD automatically sign you into whatever you connect to it. Individual log ins should NOT be necessary.

In addition, the reward for using arc (the Khan uniform set that was promised in an in game email) is not usable. So it is no ''reward'. The uniform set still comes up with zen charges.

Presently Arc is no more than a launcher to launch a launcher. Something no one needs. Make it function and it may be a positive step. Currently, even I do not want it.
  • Options
    kublahkankublahkan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hey to you Arc Testers.

Can you check how much data transfer Arc does? Average per min or hour?

I play STO when I'm away for work and usually using a cell connection so I'm quite limited in bandwith and total monthly download.

Thanks!
    "Starship captains are like children. They want everything right now and they want it their way. The secret is to give them what they need, not what they want."
    - Scotty, to La Forge
  • Options
    mcduffie369mcduffie369 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Arc currently disables my MMO mouse. I hope that has been resolved...
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    jimtkirk wrote: »

1) Characters on STO cannot be added.

2) Friends added in game do not appear as friends on Arc.

3) Fleets joined in game cannot be listed on Arc.

4) The Arc profile is poorly done. Listing of favorites does not make a "Profile"

Even if these things would work, why the hell should I need something like ARC for it? I can become friend with ppl in forums, i can list my fleet/s and my characters. So why do we need sth for it that does nothing else than waste system recources.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Its cryptic, so dont u people expect to get rid of arc. It gives cryptic more earnings, so TRIBBLE the users, thats what the think. So, in a few time pulses, be ready all of you to use arc. Sadly. Already cancelled my sub, but if i didnt , using arc will be a sure footed reason to do it xD.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Its cryptic, so dont u people expect to get rid of arc. It gives cryptic more earnings, so TRIBBLE the users, thats what the think. So, in a few time pulses, be ready all of you to use arc. Sadly. Already cancelled my sub, but if i didnt , using arc will be a sure footed reason to do it xD.
    Honestly, I do not believe it's Cryptic. It's PWE.

I bet Cryptic would like to vaporize this pile of ...
    They know that they're gonna lose a lot of paying customers ;)
  • Options
    hunteralpha84hunteralpha84 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Would post a big "nope" picture but it seems redundant.

I use steam for all my games including STO. STO is also the only PWE game I play. There is no real advantage to me using ARC nor would I want to.

If it comes down to it I'd just stop playing STO rather than install ARC. It's not that I have massive objections to ARC in theory, it just adds another pointless piece of software on my PC that I'd rather not have.
  • Options
    locutusx5locutusx5 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    i like using the independent sto launcher. i dont want any other junk to go through to launch my game. Only reason i don't play through steam is cause its too much faffing about. ARC will be the same, more faffing to play sto. ARC can go f it self.
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    What is our incentive to use Arc over Steam for playing Star Trek Online? What do we, the playerbase, get out of this arrangement?
    I already have Steam. I don't need another spyware. The question was not for me, but this is my answer nevertheless.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    For the servers are down and it still hasn't been answered:

Will we be forced to use ARC?
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You know guys(and here I mean Cryptic devs., PWE employees or anyone else that worked/is working on Arc), you'd probably cut on around 50% of the complaints regading Arc if you just enabled one simple thing - make Arc work in a way so the client can be closed once we launch STO. It would stop 2 of the most common complaints here:

- Unnecessary taking up resources and influencing gameplay on machines with limited resoruces.
    - Possible background suspicious activities.

If all that you say here in these numerous threads on Arc lately is true, than it's beyond me why you wouldn't make this option possible. Unless there's something that you're hiding....and well, that's where all of the conspiracy theories regarding Arc come from.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    So, in a few time pulses, be ready all of you to use arc.

I would be very sad, but I'm ready to quit STO! There are things I don't like and which I can accept but not something like ARC!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Quick scan of the website definitely looks like these new "mobile browser" tile oriented things that are all the rage.

Therefore, as far as the website design goes, I can't find any "valid complaint" with it as change is necessary (even if not desired)...

As to the client itself, I "stand" with many others. Most of the "benefits" of said system (cross-game chat & friendlist, "in game" Zen purchasing, ability to advertise for other game products, single launcher technology, etc. etc.) are already in-place within the Cryptic suite of games (CO, STO, NW) and it would have been easier to expand that tech throughout PWE's suite instead of creating a whole new toy that hogs some background space/resources.

Especially since I don't see Cryptic "stripping" these functions out of the game client as such a maneuver might scramble the remaining code...

I asked before and either didn't see the response or it was never there. Why is PWE attempting to recreate the wheel when it's already there? Only reason I can see without proper response is "corporate Ego", as the mothership has to do better than the sub-company they bought out...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Its amazing how very nearly universal the dislike is for Arc, yet they keep pushing forward.

Arc is the one thing that will guarantee my exit from STO forever. Oh well, at least I have until it is made mandatory.
  • Options
    steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited January 2014
    Question regarding the steam vs. arc bit...

I just rebuilt my old WinXP computer as a Win7. In the process I had to reload STO and lost my launcher-only status, gaining ARC in the process. I'd not followed the Steam/Arc discussions as a result, until now.

So the question: is it possible to exchange for Steam without having to create a new account? I've got 3 lvl 50s and if I can't keep them to gain Steam, then the ARC advantage is clear for me, regardless of how crummy it might really be.
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I've used it since the day the made it. I've had no trouble with it so far and I quite like it. I suspect once they bring it online, everyone will moan about it in the forums, while everyone else will just use it without much drama.

Then after a week once everyone gets used to it, we'll never here about it again as the next 'major drama' will have taken its place.
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have no idea about arc, but steam is adware and a resource hog. Its stable, but its annoying, and once I turned it off for a few months and it was impossible to fix, I had to uninstall and reinstall, so you have to leave it on or update it manually every couple of weeks if you expect it to work again later. It totally failed to allow offline mode for skyrim, you always had to have an active web connection to play that single player game. The so-called free games from it include a number that are absolutely unplayable without spending money (this is not one of them) and others do not work at all. All in all, its about like an FTP site except with junkware forced onto your system.

But the real question is, why use either? Many games successfully are hosted by the game company, updating from there and so on. Some of those fail dramatically to meet the demand of the "gotta have the patch NOW" rush while others manage it. If done correctly, this is much better steam and probably arc as well.
  • Options
    captainpirkocaptainpirko Member Posts: 270 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    @steamwright: the client has nothing to do with your account. arc/steam/non is irrelevant. its all the same game your logging into so your account info will be the same regardless. no new characters required. that's the benefit of an MMO.

steam vs arc? well now i'll be perfectly honest, i dont have arc, never have, never will. i'm smart enough with computers that i can keep my non arc client for as long as STO appeals to me. however i do have a copy with steam, because it has a benefit over arc that is really important.

PWE cards are nearly unheard of where i am. target/bestbuy/walmarts down here dont sell prepaid cards for PWE. however they have an entire shelf for steam cards. so i can get steam cash alot easier then i can get PWE specific cash. since PWE doesnt want to miss out on easy money, they added a feature where if you're playing the steam copy of STO, you can transfer steam cash into the game in specific amounts. for example i have 50$ in my steam wallet. i can buy a few other games like space engineers, terraria, starbound, then load up STO and add 5 dollars worth of zen. its nearly instantaneous, and alot more convenient for someone without a credit card, or the willingness to use one.
    [SIGPIC]Timelords Fleet [/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    starke1701starke1701 Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Question regarding the steam vs. arc bit...

I just rebuilt my old WinXP computer as a Win7. In the process I had to reload STO and lost my launcher-only status, gaining ARC in the process. I'd not followed the Steam/Arc discussions as a result, until now.

So the question: is it possible to exchange for Steam without having to create a new account? I've got 3 lvl 50s and if I can't keep them to gain Steam, then the ARC advantage is clear for me, regardless of how crummy it might really be.

Just install on steam. It'll prompt you to create a new account, but you can just ignore that. When it asks you to log in, you log in.

About the only awkward part is downloading the entire game again. It used to be possible to circumvent that by moving the other install folder over, but I don't know if that's still true.
  • Options
    dunmovyndunmovyn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    There is no reason to force this on paying customers, unless it benefits your bottom line in some way.

I prefer not to run additional programs, in order to access the game. I will not fool with it. If it's like everything else you do, it will just introduce a dozen new bugs to deal with and make people mad.

If I try to log in to the game one day, and you have taken down the launcher, I will just cancel my account and find something else to do. It's not worth the trouble to keep changing things all the time.

If there is not a good reason for changing, that will make the game more enjoyable, then forget it.
  • Options
    oldschooldorkoldschooldork Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    dgdolph wrote: »
    For the servers are down and it still hasn't been answered:

Will we be forced to use ARC?

Yes we will, unfortunately. It has been stated in the ARC news articles that eventually ALL PWE games will be required to use ARC to launch the games. And they have also stated that ARC will be required to run in the background while you are playing the game, although they have refused thus far to answer why.

JUST SAY NO TO MANDATORY ARC!!!!!
    AGpDi8m.gif
    I don't care what the header says, I am not now, nor have I ever been, nor will I ever be, an "ARC user".
  • Options
    cptniteusercptniteuser Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Testing Questions

Does the new ARC work with wine correctly?

No: No use to me in linux
    Yes: ok, good

Now does the other PWE games work with wine correctly?

No: none of the pwe games are of any use to me then.
    Yes: Great you wrote your software correctly to support all os's a lot of thought and non-sloppy programming skills went into the design. <Pats your back>

Linux or doooooooommmmmm :D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.