test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do you play your own gender ingame? POLL TIME!!

Comments

• chakittychakitty Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm a guy IRL, and I have 5 or 6 fed toons, haven't counted lately, 2 KDF toons, and one Rommie toon, all female. Just wish we could get those re-species tokens, and a feline species for the Romies, so I could make all my toons cats. Or possibly other animal styled parts, like wolf, otter, bear, etc., for the alien option. And yes, I'm a furry too, like watching my cat's tails sway back and forth while they jog/run around. Can't wait to get swimsuits for them this summer event, so long as the Devs keep their word and give us swimsuits.

Back to the main point though, I have a preference for playing female characters. Yes, the eye-candy is one aspect, but a relatively minor one. The main thing is that I feel more comfortable playing a female character, even in pencil-paper RPGs. In DDO all of my characters are female, same with every other game where you are given a choice. Don't know what it is about playing a female character that does it, but there is something about it, or perhaps several somethings, that makes it feel relatively natural and a lot easier than male characters.
  • rmxiiirmxiii Member Posts: 221 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have various chars I pay and gender doesn't really facet in my decision. Mostly they're male same as me, but do have a few female chars as well

Currently have 10 characters in STO, 3 of them are Female, 1 Caitian Tac Officer, 1 Ferasan Eng Officer, and 1 Reman Eng Officer.
  • amalefactoramalefactor Member Posts: 511 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I am male but my main character that I play 90% of the time (and have played since STO was in Beta) is a fed female.

The reasoning is pretty simple, STO was either the first or second game I'd played at the time that even allowed for female character creation (the other being Mass Effect) so I did it just for variety and a change of pace.

Video games are created predominantly by young white males, and the protagonists are predominantly cookie cutter white males and it gets boring after the 400th time. Both of these things are getting better these days but the ratios are still super skewed.

My other characters are 2 fed males and 1 kdf male. My next character will be a female kdf-romulan to even things out and make my lineup a bit less fed and a bit less male.

I've never had to deal with creepers trying to hit on me. I'd like to think I can attribute that to the fact that I have "Bob" in my @handle and that they're literate enough to get the hint but it might also be due to the fact that my main sort of looks like a half saurian half wizened space elf. I guess the creepers don't go after ridged heads.

Look around you. The new "cookie cutter" as you put it is males playing females, and often going way out of their way to justify it up to and including insulting males playing male characters.

You probably haven't been hit on because you're in a huge, huge crowd.
  • earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    flash525 wrote: »
    Having just recapped, the reply to you wasn't suppose to be to you. I mistook your quote as that of someone else. A player claimed he liked looking at female butts instead of male ones, I then quoted him with a response, you quoted me, I thought you were him continuing that conversation.

if you wish to address a specific point I made against you, please do so. I'll respond in kind.

Aren't you an intelligent little monkey. Using big words too? No doubt in a futile attempt to throw me off. What would have been wrong with simply saying incorrect rather than erroneous?

Yeah ... I thought so.

Allow me to ask everyone a question though; if you had a girlfriend and she became aware that you were playing with little female characters, what do you imagine she would think? Likewise, if you've got a girlfriend/wife, same question. No doubt there are some that wouldn't care, but I bet for the most part they'd think it a little ... odd.

In my opinion it's no different from middle aged men from Japan or wherever getting all excited by Anime/Manga/Hentai schoolgirls. It sends a certain message.

Actually, lol, my wife thinks it's funny. Then again, half the time, when I'm making outfits for them, I end up asking her opinion on how they look, and how she likes the colours I've picked out. Then again, I occasionally do that with my ships as well.
    On another note, somewhat related, if you play the Sims, or any game like it, eventually you WILL have to run a female character. Either that, or adopt kids, or have a short span for that lot, because when that male Sim dies, and no one else is in the house, it's game over, and you end up having to start over.

So, in that vein, I'm thinking, either "perverted" isn't actually the word you're meaning to use, it's just the one closest to whatever you're thinking, or else these other posters are correct, and you need to broaden your understanding of games. Because a game that lets you select a different gender, which is, after all, really no different than picking a race/species, height, weight, and any other myriad details whatever game might let you pick from, whether it's a computer game, or a pen & paper RPG.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
    Temperance Brennan, "A building"
    edited January 2014
    jexsamx wrote: »
    I like this thread. I'll play. To start off, I am male.

FED
    Human Male, straight
    Lib. Borg Female, straight
    Trill Female, try-anything-once (but married to job)
    Andorian Female, bisexual
    Human Male, TRIBBLE
    Vulcan Female, straight
    Betazoid Male, bisexual
    Human Female, straight
    Bajoran Male, very straight (but what else would you expect from a guy named Rip Manslab?)
    Klingon Male, straight

KDF
    Orion Female, try-anything-once
    Alien Male, straight
    Lib. Borg Klingon Male, straight
    Lib. Borg Klingon Female, straight

RR
    Lib. Borg Romulan Female, bisexual
    Romulan Male, bisexual
    Romulan Female, straight

Not sure why I bothered to think out all their orientations since I don't actually RP, aside from the fact it helps me characterize them better in my head.

Also, half these toons barely see play. Most of them haven't been loaded in months. My time is divided primarily between two feds, two klinks, and one rom.
    Well, have one question for ya....Do you, or have you had a history of playing pen & paper RPG's? If so, you're "thinking of their backgrounds", makes perfect sense to me. But even if you haven't, you're making a stab at it with this game. When one thinks of their character, as more than just "stats", then you're likely to have more fun with them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2014
    szerontzur wrote: »
    These threads.. never turn out well.

Personally, I always try to aim for an even split.. across races, classes, factions, and yes, gender. As an old-school roleplayer, I've long since learned to separate myself from my character and enjoy experimenting with a wide variety of characters within their respective settings.

I have characters ranging from a human science/intelligence officer, to a no-sass 'space-dark elf' whom is honor bound to serve the starfleet military, to a Gorn who has come to terms with their subjugation and seeks to improve/redeem his people's standing through honorable service to the empire, and have eventual plans for a genetically engineered Romulan-Klingon who will be struggling to find their place between the two factions.

I don't force or project those characters on other people, nor do I expect people to think I am any of them(because I most certainly am not).

Hmmm, your last character concept, sounds similar to an alien KDF gal I made, she's Klin/Vulcan/Human (I know, what a mixed bag of genes THAT is, lol)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    guy in real life plays only girl toons
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited January 2014
    deokkent wrote: »
    Just wasting time trolling. Must be a very boring new year's eve.

Lol, in my case it IS a boring New Year's Eve and day so far.....stuck at work, lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2014
    My goodness, he makes perversion sounds like a bad thing.

I almost never play my gender. It's more fun to pretend. In RL I'm female. In STO I'm a 6'3" Cardassian Gul in leather with a whip. Perverted? I certainly hope so. ;)

Lol, I played AD&D with a gal, that tended to play either barbarian princesses, or priestesses of Beshaba or Talos....(sometimes, she had an evil little mind, LOL)
    Another gal that was gaming with us, only played males. For some reason, she couldn't get into the game, if she was playing a female character.
    In neither of those cases, did I think it was weird, or worse. I just thought they were playing what they had decided was a fun character concept for themselves, in that game.:D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I play a lot of Star Wars The Old Republic and I have always made my characters male. Even in STO I have a male Ferengi and male Romulon and Gorn. Plus I am a guy irl.
    say-star-wars-is-better.jpg
  • powercrotchpowercrotch Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I play my own gender, if I need some booty I can just gawk at my 1st officer.
  • akatsubaki1986akatsubaki1986 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    flash525 wrote: »
    So, you're calling me a pervert because I'm the one running around with male characters? Right ... I think you might need to go back to logic school.

Just to help you understand briefly, I am a straight male. I hope that clears things up for you. :rolleyes:

Point well and completely missed there flash.

The evidence: You're calling other people perverts for playing a gender opposite their RL one. You explain the perverse motivation. You get defensive and claim innocence by saying: "I'm a straight male who only plays male characters."

My opinion(which could be wrong): You're a pervert and ashamed of it, so you you deprive your self and accuse of everyone else of being a pervert. Also the defensive nature about being a straight male suggests you maybe in the closet. Again I could be absolutely wrong, especially since I don't know you. But it seems like either you're projecting, trolling, or just plain narrow minded.

I hope that clears things up for you. :P
  • amalefactoramalefactor Member Posts: 511 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Point well and completely missed there flash.

The evidence: You're calling other people perverts for playing a gender opposite their RL one. You explain the perverse motivation. You get defensive and claim innocence by saying: "I'm a straight male who only plays male characters."

My opinion(which could be wrong): You're a pervert and ashamed of it, so you you deprive your self and accuse of everyone else of being a pervert. Also the defensive nature about being a straight male suggests you maybe in the closet. Again I could be absolutely wrong, especially since I don't know you. But it seems like either you're projecting, trolling, or just plain narrow minded.

I hope that clears things up for you. :P

Yo dawg I heard you like projection so I projected about projection so you can project while you project.
  • akatsubaki1986akatsubaki1986 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Yo dawg I heard you like projection so I projected about projection so you can project while you project.

Redundantly redundant for the sake of redundancy?

You did make me laugh though.

Back on topic though: Some straight males choose female characters because of better/more diverse fashion options... Did anyone else catch this? Proof: Straight guys (and by extension boys to some extent) enjoy playing with dolls. As a society can we admit this and stop making hetero/non-transgender males insecure with their masculinity/orientation when they indulge their feminine side?
    edited January 2014
    Ah holy hell, I just gave up one thread, now it looks like I'll have to say sayonara to this one as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dontbefooleddontbefooled Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    My own gender? Frak, I don't usually play my own species in this game!

LOL too funny
  • sandormen123sandormen123 Member Posts: 862 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Back on topic though: Some straight males choose female characters because of better/more diverse fashion options... Did anyone else catch this? Proof: Straight guys (and by extension boys to some extent) enjoy playing with dolls. As a society can we admit this and stop making hetero/non-transgender males insecure with their masculinity/orientation when they indulge their feminine side?

They are not DOLLS! They are ACTION FIGURES!!
    Sorry, just got a bad flashback from the eighties with my Star Wars figures... :D
    (Kenner, NOT Hasbro!) :D
    /Floozy
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    They are not DOLLS! They are ACTION FIGURES!!
    Sorry, just got a bad flashback from the eighties with my Star Wars figures... :D
    (Kenner, NOT Hasbro!) :D

Pfft...my G.I. Joes are bigger than yours. Mine are ready to take Barbie out and show her what a good time is, yours are ready to do battle with the Smurfs. ;)
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    To me its a game, so why not have fun.

I try to balance out my characters I have.

Federation Engineer - Human Male
    Federation Tactical - Human Female
    KDF Engineer - Klingon Male
    KDF Tactical - Klingon Female
    Romulan Tactical - Romulan Female

Future choice - Federation Science - Vulcan Female
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • litchy74litchy74 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Started two new toons over the holidays just to run throught the story again, nice to come back to once in a while.

Both female and fit, why, I'm male, old and just a little geeky, because on ground you spend 99% of the time looking at their behind......

Reading this seems a little strange that I've always gone male toons before.....:confused:
    Where ever you go, there you are.......

Join The Space Invaders,..... Federation and KDF fleets.
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well, have one question for ya....Do you, or have you had a history of playing pen & paper RPG's? If so, you're "thinking of their backgrounds", makes perfect sense to me. But even if you haven't, you're making a stab at it with this game. When one thinks of their character, as more than just "stats", then you're likely to have more fun with them.

Well not an extensive history, but yes I dabbled a bit in D&D 3.5 in my high school years and 4.0 a little after. Been a couple years since then, though.
  • juhans95juhans95 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm a young man IRL and I have played with female characters elsewhere then in STO. Here are my toons:
    Lena: Female Romulan engineer and a hardnened veteran girl flying a Bastion
    Peter:Male Bajoran Science officer with a Kumari
    Elitos:A Big TRIBBLE Gorn general in a Kar'fi who likes to melee things
    Ashley Williams: Yes,you know who this is. A fed tactical officer with a voth Minigun
    Peter J. Sammungs, U.S.S. Nordic Wind
    Eltosh Shamun, I.K.S. Garshatos
    Commander Lena Rho'lan, R.R.W. Haakona
    Ashley Williams U.S.S. Marcuso
    edited January 2014
    juhans95 wrote: »
    Ihardnened veteran girl

Lol, the line from a Bones episode flashed in my head at that one.
    Dr Saroyan, "The word you're looking for is woman. And incidentally, a woman who happens to make more money than you."
    Booth, "Aren't we touchy...."
    Dr Saroyan, "What can I say, I'm just a girl with feelings......"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2014
    jexsamx wrote: »
    Well not an extensive history, but yes I dabbled a bit in D&D 3.5 in my high school years and 4.0 a little after. Been a couple years since then, though.

Even though the edition you picked to me, are (*throws up in a corner*), the fact that you even dabbled in a true RPG setting, shows, through your efforts to personalize your characters. Which is rare, nowadays, especially in games like this one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Even though the edition you picked to me, are (*throws up in a corner*), the fact that you even dabbled in a true RPG setting, shows, through your efforts to personalize your characters. Which is rare, nowadays, especially in games like this one.

D&D 4e is satan, I agree.

I first cut my teeth on 3.5, though, so it will always have a place in my heart.
  • morchadesmorchades Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have 8 toons, all of which are my gender. I just prefer the storyline with a Captain that's my gender.

I don't think there's anything perverted about playing the opposite gender, however, one thing you guys need to realize is there are a lot of perverts out there. So if you're talking, and you just bring up "Well, what gender are you IRL" and it's not the natural turn of the conversation, it is kinda creepy. And the person you're talking to may be a woman. A woman who thinks revealing herself as a woman opens her up to harassment from those perverts. Or she has experienced that. Sometimes people are obscuring their real gender for a reason.

I'm not offended if anyone asks, but what I say to you guys is DON'T BE OFFENDED IF THEY DON'T WANT TO ANSWER. Or if they don't want to tell you their nationality or timezone either. Some people have actually been stalked before, and they can't afford to assume everyone else is a well-meaning Care Bear.
  • onyxheart1onyxheart1 Member Posts: 347 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    D&D 4e is satan, I agree.

I first cut my teeth on 3.5, though, so it will always have a place in my heart.

hey now, there is nothing wrong with 4e

except for flash525, are the rest of us not saying there's nothing wrong with people doing different things?

i've played 3.0, 3.5, and currently run a game with a group in 4e...even dabbled in AD&D, didn't like it but eh others do.

4e can be fun and deep if you work with it, it's also a LOT easier for new players to get into.
    KDF for Life! <3 Romulan at Heart <3 Fed cause they made me ~ :P
    signature-omega.png
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    onyxheart1 wrote: »
    hey now, there is nothing wrong with 4e

except for flash525, are the rest of us not saying there's nothing wrong with people doing different things?

i've played 3.0, 3.5, and currently run a game with a group in 4e...even dabbled in AD&D, didn't like it but eh others do.

4e can be fun and deep if you work with it, it's also a LOT easier for new players to get into.

Yeah, but it kills customizeability! The whole point of 3.5 was making your character unique! There was a whole pile of prestige classes and feats to help make your character special, after all.

4e is videogame-ized D&D. Easy for newbies, but not as fun for long-time players.
  • hornet6hornet6 Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I am male. I play all male characters. I think female Remans and Ferenghi (spelling?) should have their faces completely covered because they are gross looking. I am also by today's standards undoubtedly considered to be a male chauvinist pig (I am also probably well past middle aged since I watched TOS when it was prime time TV and on a black and white TV set with "rabbit ears").

Whenever possible, which is almost always, my first officers and the boffs who talk to me in pop-up windows, are female simply because I would rather see an attractive female face talking to me from the bridge than a male one (unless the male is "aged 1" or older and has battle scars on his face. I want at least an experienced veteran at tactical and not some pimple-face Wesley Crusher or some cocky little 20 year old Chekov). So, I don't mind who plays a female toon, as long as the toon is pretty. I prefer "pretty" and "beautiful" to "cute" and if you don't understand the difference, I can't tell you.

So fine, I am a "BOFF-perv" chauvinist pig. Play a male toon or a female toon if you want to as long as you are attractive, but above all, know how to handle your ship, your phaser and your lirpa because I hate seeing any of my teammates die, male or female.
    ANOTHER NERF !?!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vawlkusvawlkus Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I like variety in my characters, so each time I make a character, their gender must be different from the last character I made.
This discussion has been closed.