test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do you play your own gender ingame? POLL TIME!!

Comments

• horkewhorkew Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I am a girl irl. All but one of my characters are female...

I have one girl character in each faction, plus a boy character in the federation. In other games where I have more characters, the genders usually even out a bit, sometimes with more males if everyone is female (I'm looking at you, Feral Heart!).

But if things are evened out between genders of player characters, I prefer to be female. I also tend to make my female characters as unattractive as possible without them being ugly or unrealistic, since if I don't do that every single guy I encounter in-game will start stalking me. At least, that's my experience in other games.
  • chairmanmeowmixchairmanmeowmix Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Yes, I play my own gender. 8 toons, all male. When I was a kid I didn't play with Barbies or play dress-up which is basically what a lot of these guys are doing with their female toons.
  • hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    If enjoying the sight of women at the gym and female toons online makes someone a perv, I guess I'm a perv. :rolleyes:

I'll just have to find a way to struggle on in life without the approval of repressed, puritanical types who fear and revile the human anatomy. :rolleyes:
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    flash525 wrote: »
    Initially (if you jump back a few pages) I came only to give my view. It wasn't until someone else snapped at me that that view became extended, and the conversation picked up.

I voiced my opinion and have stated reasons as to why I think that. I believe them to be fairly strong reasons with logic behind them.

I can think of a few names for you too, but I daren't write them down save me getting in trouble. :rolleyes:

Yes, I know. Thanks, I have all I need to know on what sort of person you are..
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    deokkent wrote: »
    Just wasting time trolling. Must be a very boring new year's eve.
    Normally, I would too, but due to the occasion of new years I'm out with real people (and women) socializing.
    I'll be having more fun than you.
    hanover2 wrote: »
    If enjoying the sight of women at the gym and female toons online makes someone a perv, I guess I'm a perv
    Someone who knows it and isn't afraid to admit it. I applaud you.
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    Yes, I know. Thanks, I have all I need to know on what sort of person you are..
    I hope that helps you sleep at night.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Guys, let's just end this conversation now before it turns into a fight and the mods step in.

Please? Can we get back to the original topic? Please?

*makes Bambi eyes*

Seriously, dudes, this conversation is off-topic and rapidly becoming more angry. Let's get back to the intended topic.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Guys, let's just end this conversation now before it turns into a fight and the mods step in.

Please? Can we get back to the original topic? Please?

Seriously, dudes, this conversation is off-topic and rapidly becoming more angry. Let's get back to the intended topic.
    I am happy to do so. I made my point, I'm happy to leave my opinion there. I don't see why other people can't just accept that I have an opinion that is different to theirs. That's what this is currently about; other people bring up their opinion that my opinion is wrong. Surely they're just as hypocritical as they claim me to be? :rolleyes:

To summarize (for the sake of this thread) I find it concerning (and slightly perverted) that any straight guy would need to create and use female characters. My reasons for this have been stated in my posts throughout this thread. This is my opinion, and I am entitled to it. There is nowhere (nor anybody) to say that my opinion is any more right or wrong on a grand scale. Some people will agree with my opinion, others wont.

That's all that needs to be said. If you agree, great. If you don't either voice your own opinion (and leave mine alone) or suck it up.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I can think of a few names for you too, but I daren't write them down save me getting in trouble. :rolleyes:

Most people were capable of coming in here and just expressing the reason what characters they play and why. You, on the other hand, found need to generalize and label others on your first post in this thread. I'll let your own abysmally poor record speak for itself.
  • hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    To summarize (for the sake of this thread) I find it concerning (and slightly perverted)

Your "concern" may only drive your decisions. The rest of us are not subject to the same sanctimonious condemnation, and your proclamations are not universal.
    that any straight guy would need to create and use female characters.

Desire != "need," and "need" is not a prerequisite for justifying something. If you're a dude who doesn't approve of men with female toons, don't create one.
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,290 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    In every mmo I've played ivehad at least one female toon so idk. I don't think it makes me a pervert to have one. Honestly if I was a pervert like some people think that having one makes me there are better places to look at that sort of thing than a video game.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • plox21plox21 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Fed - male - Plox

Male irl.

Why i didnt make female character?... i simply have no interest to play as female in STO or any other game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xaosmg123xaosmg123 Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    17 pages of posts! Thanks everyone for making this one hell of an entertaining and interesting thread!

Keep posting your thoughts, what gender you play the most and your character lineups!

Some of you are even posting ships flown, short bios of your character and even their sexuality!

After rereading this thread, it makes me so happy to be a part of this amazing mmorpg community!

PVE/PVP/RP - I'm up for it all. Friend me and message me anytime in game to meetup :)

Xalon - Fed

Xalion - Rom (Fed Alignment)

Xaos - KDF

Have a happy happy happy NEW YEAR!!! Salute! Q'apla! Jolan tru!
    (yes, even since coming back to STO I am always this excited and happy to be playing STO!)

-X
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    worffan101 wrote: »
    The guy offered to sell me nude-modded screenshots of his character and mine.

Oh lol. That's amazing.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It would bother me less if more male players had even the slightest sense of fashion or at least color coordination. It's usually painfully obvious who is male playing female: all white "angelic yet naughty" gogo boots and bikinis, like something out of an AXE commercial. :rolleyes:

Kanril Eleya runs around in full MACO armor during ground missions and wears something resembling Starfleet BDUs the rest of the time. Her alt costume is her old "field grays" from the Bajoran Militia. The rest of the women on the Andraste likewise wear an actual uniform (albeit Eleya's fairly lax about shipboard discipline and doesn't mind them customizing it) or battle armor as appropriate.

Even Meromi Riyal, this tiny little Orion girl on my KDF bridge crew, wears something vaguely appropriate for a serving combat officer, and the other female boff (a Klingon) wears full armor.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    jexsamx wrote: »
    Oh lol. That's amazing.

I know, right? What an idiot.

I had zone tracker on at the time, too. And so I went to fleet chat, had everybody rezone (which sends you to the gazebo) and ambushed the guy with about half a dozen battle-ready, snow-powered Klingon warriors (and associated species).

Hilarious.
  • mikec1013mikec1013 Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I always thought it was weird when I came across a guy playing a female character. After enough time went by I saw it more and more. Then when the Rom faction became available I figured it was time...

Fed Human male Eng - Michael Archangel
    Fed Liberated Borg Human male Tac - Mr. "One of a Kind" Roboto
    Fed Joined Trill male Sci - Calm Hei
    KDF Liberated Borg Klingon male Eng - Mach'Eli
    Fed aligned Reman female Tac - Chemical

Male IRL
  • rainbowarcanarainbowarcana Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I find it concerning (and slightly perverted) that any straight guy would need to create and use female characters.

My goodness, he makes perversion sounds like a bad thing.

I almost never play my gender. It's more fun to pretend. In RL I'm female. In STO I'm a 6'3" Cardassian Gul in leather with a whip. Perverted? I certainly hope so. ;)
  • mikec1013mikec1013 Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I find it concerning (and slightly perverted) that any straight guy would need to create and use female characters.

I find it disconcerting that you have such a lengthy opinion and yet an equally short vocabulary.
  • illyrian2008illyrian2008 Member Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Nope, I am a male with female characters.

To make things easier for flash525, let me explain with this little YT video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBhTIoIXoTI

"Bishop: Yes. You see, I am a colossal pervert. No form of sexual depravity is too low for me. Animal, vegetable or mineral -- I'll do anything to anything."

That's what you wanted to hear, right?
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Personally, I don't care what you play in the game. However, it is those males who play exclusively females because they don't want to be staring a male's butt while they are playing. Seriously, it is just a game, you will not develop homosexual feelings for playing a male character.

I have a female science toon and four male toons. I am a male.
  • sarreoussarreous Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    If a person can't understand that someone could have genuinely non-perverted reasons for creating a character of the opposite gender, that's okay. There are things that people do that I don't understand, or that you could never convince me that there's "nothing wrong" with it.

For me, making female characters isn't an obsession. When I do make them I tend to go for classy or professional over "sexy". Or if the game in question seems to have a specific theme, I may follow more along those lines. As for the argument that it's all just for the purpose of having an attractive posterior to stare at? With my current design you hardly see anything.

I completely understand where the belief concerning males making female characters comes from. But it's not always like that. Do you avoid reading books with a female as the lead protagonist? For me it's similar to that.

Interestingly enough, John De Lancie (Q) took part in making a documentary about male fans of the remake of My Little Pony. It was never officially presented on TV as Hasbro carelessly allowed it to get pirated before that could happen. I've never actually seen it, and I found De Lancie to be somewhat hypocritical in the interview where he talked about it, but the fact that it was made says something about societal perceptions. I mean, how many guys liked the Power Puff Girls? So what if it was made for girls? It was fun, with humor that crossed gender lines.

I suspect I'm going off topic with this. I hope I made some kind of point in my rambling. Besides, it's the people who insist on using nudity mods who I would be concerned with, as opposed to some random dude who's all like "LOL, Orion chicks are hawt lololol bust slider to the max". Unless the mod user just happened to be a nudist irl. Then, well...hmm :confused:
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    sarreous wrote: »
    Interestingly enough, John De Lancie (Q) took part in making a documentary about male fans of the remake of My Little Pony. It was never officially presented on TV as Hasbro carelessly allowed it to get pirated before that could happen. I've never actually seen it, and I found De Lancie to be somewhat hypocritical in the interview where he talked about it, but the fact that it was made says something about societal perceptions. I mean, how many guys liked the Power Puff Girls? So what if it was made for girls? It was fun, with humor that crossed gender lines.

'Nother example: There are self-admitted bronies in the US Marine Corps.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • xaosmg123xaosmg123 Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    In all the online I have dabbled in over the last few years, the only time I played as a female character was in Warhammer Online - as a "Witch Elf". I was used to playing Rogue in WOW and though the character had some awesome abilities. Also, there were no male Witch Elves - so you had to be a female. Just like in STO wif you want to play a Gorn.

I have tried playing a female in STO before, but I couldn't get through the tutorial without it seeming too weird. Not weird sexually or anything, just that I didn't find it as immersive as I did when playing a male character.

I play male characters in STO because it is an mmorpg. In fighting games Ive played females and even some racing games, but in this game I play a male because of the rpg aspect. When I created my character(s), I never even considered playing as a female because I was creating ME in this amazing gameworld. My Avatar. So I made my Human Fed look exactly like me. I also made my KDF character look like myself as a Klingon, and my Rom character myself as a Romulan. When I am playing STO, I am there in that gameworld. I am running instances and missions and episodes as my avatar- which represents me. I cannot get immersed or even feel part of the gameworld if I was playing the opposite gender.

I watched My little Pony and Powerpuff Girls when I was younger - but I never dressed up as one for Halloween. Ive read books by Jane Austin, but never dreamed of being the lead female character. That's just how I am. I am straight and have friends of all sexual perferences - but in a game where you are pretending to be a character, I want that character to represent myself in as many ways as possible. Hell, I'm 5'10 so I made my human character 5;10 and not 6'3 or more mouscular than I am. Its what works best for me and what adds to my game experience.

I don't believe the "don't want to stare at a males behind" excuse because when playing an mmorpg, Im too busy focusing on the other 90% of the game screen. If I want to appreciate the beautiful female models Cryptic has created, I can just look at some of my Boffs, or NPCs, or other characters. Of course I wish all females in Trek shows/movies and all STO playing females were as attractive as the models in the game - who wouldn't want to be around more beautiful people? lol. But its reality.

I only ask if someone is a male or female if I have been talking to that person ingame for a while, if we end up talking about more that STO gameplay or if we are going to RP. I feel more comfortable knowing. That's just me. If I ask and someone responds - that's it. Done deal and we move on. If someone gets defensive or ignores me for asking or tries to hide it and refuse to answer - then I probably wont associate with that person ingame anymore. That's just weird and kinda creepy to me. Asking sexual orientation, age, first and last name, what town they live in and so on is all very personal information and I can understand withholding that information. But asking whether someone is male or female is harmless.

Also, most of the female characters on my friends list are MALE irl - so they have said. I have come across a few females too. All are awesome and friendly players and I am glad to have met them ingame. I would probably never talk to someone from STO offline and def. never considered meeting someone from a game irl. So to all of you who get defensive - know that there are others out there who want to know if some1 they know ingame is male or female irl - and they are NOT asking to "hit on" that person. I don't even know if its possible to "hit on" someone using text who has never met you lol.

Well, that's my 5 cents. Thanks again to all who have been keeping this thread alive and hopefully more players will chime in with their thoughts. Lets all agree to disagree, when we do - as most of us are mature adults with varied experiences and gaming histories :) Be sensitive and understanding to other player's feelings and questions - so more of us can get along and we can have an even better game experience together. STO Community is #1 :)

S! Q! JT!

-Xalon
  • pirko105pirko105 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    i'll be perfectly honest here as it doesnt matter one way or the other. i am a 19 year old male, firmly secure in his straight sexuality, and play both male and female characters. however i dont claim to do it because i like to look at the character (though sometimes those outfits... *whistles*) and infact the first thing i consider when making a new character is which of my own characters to use. i have a book i'm writing that has nothing to do with star trek (except space travel) and i like to use the names and descriptions of those characters in all the games i play. 60% of those characters are male, with a few females. depending on whether i wanted to make a tactical/science/engineer next, i consider which of my characters best fit these. my first female character, a tactical romulan, was not made for any sexual reason at all. infact, suggesting that would probably get your head ripped off with a rusty chainsaw. while the character is physically attractive, i specifically did nothing to make her chest large, or to put her in sexual clothes like orions or beach wear. her outfit is either a loosely armored outfit of black and browns, or a dark green and black tanktop and shorts that she favors when hunting creatures in the wild.

aside from that character i have one other female character i just made, and 4 males. both my federation and klingon main characters are both male, and i'm rarely on my female characters out of laziness.

i wish people didnt assume that gender meant anything in games. in the end they are pixels, colored and collected on the screen in a specific way. when we have virtual head gear that lets us jump into another world and make any kind of character we want, then you can start worrying about guys playing as girls. but in the end, gaming is meant as a release from real life. in other words, dont read into it.
  • ussdelphin2ussdelphin2 Member Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited January 2014

I can't fathom why anyone (who is male) would choose to play as a female character if they didn't at least admit to the eye candy. This whole discussion relates back to one thing, and that's sex appeal. Whilst it is normal for a guy to find a girl attractive, I don't think it's normal for a guy to have a whole bunch of female characters on a game. To me, that just isn't normal. They're not even real. It's pretty much the excuse of "I can't get any female attention in real life, so I'm going to make myself some instead". It's no different from a guy in the gym drooling over the women there. It's perverted. I'm not saying that's always the case, but I bet a fair percentage of it is.

I think the problem is that at some point you knew someone in game who you thought was a female, you tried your luck at cyber and they strung you along..... then just as you was about to "finish" they told you they are a man irl...... and its scarred you.......

There is nothing wrong if a guy chooses to make female characters, they are not perverts and anyone who suggests so is a moron who needs to get back under the rock from which they crawled out from!
    How I picture a lot of the forumites :P
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,450 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Most of my characters, 24 in all, are male (roughly 2/3), but I do have some females as well (roughly 1/3).

For me, it just about having variety... whether its gender and/or faction.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    If anyone here is interested, I run a boys only club in both STO, NWO, and all my Pokemon games (That means, all my pokemon have to be boys).

I am partially sexist (for various reasons), so please forgive me women.

But, honestly, my RP has a slightly different story to tell.

My main "toon" is a VA. The captain of the starship (though never actually seen) is a Human female, and the "visiting" Admiral , as previously mentioned, is a [human] male.

IRL I am male.
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • blagormblagorm Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    KDF -
    Gorn Male
    Gorn Male
    Gorn Male
    Ferasan Male
    Ferasan Male
    Orion Male
    Borg Lib. Male
    Alien Male
    ROM KDF ~ Reman Male
    ROM KDF ~ Borg Lib. Male

Real Life: MALE
    R'tolves Will Spread Thier Peace and Will Prevail Over the Hostiles Who Dare Hurt Such A Isolationist Consitutional Monarchy!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I am male but my main character that I play 90% of the time (and have played since STO was in Beta) is a fed female.

The reasoning is pretty simple, STO was either the first or second game I'd played at the time that even allowed for female character creation (the other being Mass Effect) so I did it just for variety and a change of pace.

Video games are created predominantly by young white males, and the protagonists are predominantly cookie cutter white males and it gets boring after the 400th time. Both of these things are getting better these days but the ratios are still super skewed.

My other characters are 2 fed males and 1 kdf male. My next character will be a female kdf-romulan to even things out and make my lineup a bit less fed and a bit less male.

I've never had to deal with creepers trying to hit on me. I'd like to think I can attribute that to the fact that I have "Bob" in my @handle and that they're literate enough to get the hint but it might also be due to the fact that my main sort of looks like a half saurian half wizened space elf. I guess the creepers don't go after ridged heads.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well, I'm a guy, but every one of my characters is a female.
    Why? You may ask?
    To be honest, NUNYA, lol!
    No, in reality, if it really matters, most games, that give the options to have female characters, tend to have a wider variety of hairstyles, and outfits available to female characters, than they do for males.
    Also, when I played AD&D, (and any other pen & paper RPG), I play a lot of females, probably around 66-75% of my characters are so. I just like the option to "step out of myself", and be something different.
    But to me, really, anything resembling an "RPG", you're already stepping out of what you are, to be something different. Whether it's in the race/speciaes you choose, what skills you know, what that character does for a living, what they own, like/dislike, etc etc. So gender is just another option to choose, to be able to have some fun in playing a game.

Now, in a multiplayer game, where you can't see who it is you're talking to, if asked, I will answer honestly, when asked if I'm really a guy or a gal, no sense in BSing about it. (No fun for me, and I don't really understand why people get their jollies off of stringing people along, unless the initiator was a royal jerk to begin with, lol).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
    Temperance Brennan, "A building"
This discussion has been closed.