test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Do you play your own gender ingame? POLL TIME!!

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Even though the edition you picked to me, are (*throws up in a corner*), the fact that you even dabbled in a true RPG setting, shows, through your efforts to personalize your characters. Which is rare, nowadays, especially in games like this one.

D&D 4e is satan, I agree.

I first cut my teeth on 3.5, though, so it will always have a place in my heart.
  • Options
    morchadesmorchades Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have 8 toons, all of which are my gender. I just prefer the storyline with a Captain that's my gender.

I don't think there's anything perverted about playing the opposite gender, however, one thing you guys need to realize is there are a lot of perverts out there. So if you're talking, and you just bring up "Well, what gender are you IRL" and it's not the natural turn of the conversation, it is kinda creepy. And the person you're talking to may be a woman. A woman who thinks revealing herself as a woman opens her up to harassment from those perverts. Or she has experienced that. Sometimes people are obscuring their real gender for a reason.

I'm not offended if anyone asks, but what I say to you guys is DON'T BE OFFENDED IF THEY DON'T WANT TO ANSWER. Or if they don't want to tell you their nationality or timezone either. Some people have actually been stalked before, and they can't afford to assume everyone else is a well-meaning Care Bear.
  • Options
    onyxheart1onyxheart1 Member Posts: 347 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    D&D 4e is satan, I agree.

I first cut my teeth on 3.5, though, so it will always have a place in my heart.

hey now, there is nothing wrong with 4e

except for flash525, are the rest of us not saying there's nothing wrong with people doing different things?

i've played 3.0, 3.5, and currently run a game with a group in 4e...even dabbled in AD&D, didn't like it but eh others do.

4e can be fun and deep if you work with it, it's also a LOT easier for new players to get into.
    KDF for Life! <3 Romulan at Heart <3 Fed cause they made me ~ :P
    signature-omega.png
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    onyxheart1 wrote: »
    hey now, there is nothing wrong with 4e

except for flash525, are the rest of us not saying there's nothing wrong with people doing different things?

i've played 3.0, 3.5, and currently run a game with a group in 4e...even dabbled in AD&D, didn't like it but eh others do.

4e can be fun and deep if you work with it, it's also a LOT easier for new players to get into.

Yeah, but it kills customizeability! The whole point of 3.5 was making your character unique! There was a whole pile of prestige classes and feats to help make your character special, after all.

4e is videogame-ized D&D. Easy for newbies, but not as fun for long-time players.
  • Options
    hornet6hornet6 Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I am male. I play all male characters. I think female Remans and Ferenghi (spelling?) should have their faces completely covered because they are gross looking. I am also by today's standards undoubtedly considered to be a male chauvinist pig (I am also probably well past middle aged since I watched TOS when it was prime time TV and on a black and white TV set with "rabbit ears").

Whenever possible, which is almost always, my first officers and the boffs who talk to me in pop-up windows, are female simply because I would rather see an attractive female face talking to me from the bridge than a male one (unless the male is "aged 1" or older and has battle scars on his face. I want at least an experienced veteran at tactical and not some pimple-face Wesley Crusher or some cocky little 20 year old Chekov). So, I don't mind who plays a female toon, as long as the toon is pretty. I prefer "pretty" and "beautiful" to "cute" and if you don't understand the difference, I can't tell you.

So fine, I am a "BOFF-perv" chauvinist pig. Play a male toon or a female toon if you want to as long as you are attractive, but above all, know how to handle your ship, your phaser and your lirpa because I hate seeing any of my teammates die, male or female.
    ANOTHER NERF !?!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    vawlkusvawlkus Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I like variety in my characters, so each time I make a character, their gender must be different from the last character I made.
  • Options
    hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I dedicate my new, scantily-clad female Orion KDF captain to this thread!
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    hornet6 wrote: »
    I am male. I play all male characters. I think female Remans and Ferenghi (spelling?) should have their faces completely covered because they are gross looking. I am also by today's standards undoubtedly considered to be a male chauvinist pig (I am also probably well past middle aged since I watched TOS when it was prime time TV and on a black and white TV set with "rabbit ears").

Whenever possible, which is almost always, my first officers and the boffs who talk to me in pop-up windows, are female simply because I would rather see an attractive female face talking to me from the bridge than a male one (unless the male is "aged 1" or older and has battle scars on his face. I want at least an experienced veteran at tactical and not some pimple-face Wesley Crusher or some cocky little 20 year old Chekov). So, I don't mind who plays a female toon, as long as the toon is pretty. I prefer "pretty" and "beautiful" to "cute" and if you don't understand the difference, I can't tell you.

So fine, I am a "BOFF-perv" chauvinist pig. Play a male toon or a female toon if you want to as long as you are attractive, but above all, know how to handle your ship, your phaser and your lirpa because I hate seeing any of my teammates die, male or female.

How do you feel about pretty females with battle scars?
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    How do you feel about pretty females with battle scars?
    Actually, I prefer tatoos to scars; in fact, a good tat' artist can cover the scar quite well usually. I'm also a veteran "prime time TOS" male, and I have no qualms about surrounding myself with pretty femme fatales on the bridge, even tho I'm not as bad a sexist as Harry Mudd. ;) And I'm secure enough to have 2 male & 1 female character in-game, just because it's fun to have a confident, talented female in charge now and then. Besides, it seems more satisfying somehow to see Sela defeated by another female (my Romulan Qun'Pau)...
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I am male and I have 1-fed 1-klink and 1-rom all male.
    it just seems more natural for me to play a male, please don't think I`m sexist I cant help the way I feel and I love the thought that girls play the game for no reason other then it`s cool.
    I did play a girl character briefly on tribble but I was in a rush when I created her and forgot to select male, then couldn't be bothered to change her for a male, but it just didn't seem right to me the whole time I was playing her but it was only while I was testing the update so I wasn't too worried.
    if I played another game where the choice of character was fixed as female it would be different but in that case it would most likely be an offline game anyhow.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    legetdumarlegetdumar Member Posts: 263
    edited January 2014
    Oh, what the heck! :P

I'm male, running 3 toons...Mirror Fed Tac Male, Romulan Sci Female, Orion Engi Female. I look my female toons and BOffs this way; playing STO is like directing my own little action movie, and
    attractive females in little clothes are an action movie staple. It's the rules! *shrugs*:D
    Criticism, while never agreeable, is necessary. It is like pain in the body. It brings attention to an unhealthy state of things---Winston Churchill
  • Options
    faerenachfaerenach Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Right, so I'm Female IRL and play all female characters.

That said, I take just as much time messing with the looks of my male bridge officers that I do creating my female ones.

And I would like to completely challenge the idea of playing an opposite gender being some sort of 'perverted'. What if I were to say that I play a female character because I like looking at the female form running around? Why is that more normal/less 'perverted' than a guy saying it?

FYI, I'm happily married to a male STOer and would consider myself 'straight'. But I don't think that my sexual or gender preference has anything to do with what gender I choose my characters to be.

I do, however, believe STO has a ways to go in promoting gender equality between its male and female characters. Having an androgenous option wouldn't be hard, and there are plenty of costuming options that are just blatantly sexist. But hey - it's a video game predominantly aimed at the male demographics, so I guess my voice doesn't carry as far.
  • Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Necro Post!!!!!!!!
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    every toon in every mmo i play is a female if i can play as one i do so and guy in real life ;) just saw this a dead thread my bad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    faerenach wrote: »
    Right, so I'm Female IRL and play all female characters.

All female necromancers, or is that just your thing? :P
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Hey hey now!

BAD ZOMBIE BAD GO BACK TO THE GROUND!

Seriously folks, if a thread hasn't been responded to in 30 days please don't bring it back up :( If you feel you need to continue the thread by all means make a new one! :)

/Closed
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

This discussion has been closed.