Why do Pve'ers fear a pvp revamp?

Comments

• Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    saekiith wrote: »
    Exactly, Dev Time.
    The one and only thing we can't spare.

See, all these new things for PvP will take AT LEAST a complete Season to get "up to date".

A Complete Season without Content... again.

I can say for at least for me, that I would not "return" to the Game when they announce such a content-free PvP Season until the next Content Update and I don't see the typical PvPer as someone that would buy all that cosmetic stuff (for example) in the C-Store as I do...

So yeah... MAYBE in the Long run it will be beneficial for the game but I am not sure it is able to survive a "short term" suffocation.

speaking as a pve player and bearing in mind that they intend to release the next update in the early part of next year i would be quite happy if they put the update off to the latter half or even end of the year and updated the pvp section of the game, who knows they might introduce something that us pve players could enjoy playing every now and then.
    with all the dyson fleet holdings and dyson personal rep that we have to work on, not to mention all the other fleet holdings that still need work, there is plenty to keep me going for a while.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    comtedeloach2comtedeloach2 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    AN honest question after reading so many comments from people saying no pvp update ever!

I never understood how people find it a challenge to destroy stupid npc's who do the same thing EVERY TIME and are so vocal against a pvp fix. As a mostly pvp'er myself i don't care when pve stuff gets added so why the hel should they care if pvp gets an update they don't even have to play it c'mon on you guys have had 8 seasons!!! can we have one?

I will tell you why. In the late 1930's there was a technical leap forward for the USMC, but the old guard didnt want it, said it was wasteful, would mess up everything the old guard already knew, they didnt want change....

Well the USMC didnt listen to the old guard, and made the change...the old guard hemmed and hawed about how everything would change, how it would confuse soldiers, how it would take away valuable training time from the troops, etc. etc....

That technolicial leap was the M1 Garand, the "greatest battle rifle ever invented" and is still the weapon you most identify with the USMC.....

It replaced the M1903 Springfield rifle, a fine rifle in its day by by the late 1930's its day had passed....

The problem was the old guard knew everything about the M1903 Springfield. they didnt know about the new fangled M1 Garand, and they were afraid of change......

Left up to the old guard, the US would have entered WWII with a weapon no better than our enemies solely based on the fact that a bunch of old men know the Springfield and didnt know the Garand......

I think we did ok with the Garand....
  • Options
    timezargtimezarg Member Posts: 1,268
    edited December 2013
    roxbad wrote: »
    lol Uh, yeah. Normal reaction for people, who purchase a service, then don't receive said service. I think most people would get mad, if they prepaid for their meal, then found the staff unwilling to cater to them.

"Come in and sit sown. We have steak, lobster, ice cream, and cake."

"Great! I like cake."

"That will be $199.00. Thank you. Your hostess will seat you."

*after eating some steak*

"I'll have some cake now, please."

"Sorry. We're still working on the cake. We have some fresh lobster and a new flavor of ice cream though."

"But you said there was cake."

"There will be cake. It's coming soon."

*after eating some lobster and ice cream.*

"Where's the cake?"

"There will be cake. It's coming soon. We have a new flavor of ice cream though."

"You said that before. How do you have a new flavor of ice cream, yet I still don't have my cake?"

*other patrons in the restaurant chime in*

"Hey! You're the only one who likes cake. The rest of us want ice cream. We don't want the kitchen wasting time on making your cake."

"But they said there would be cake. The cake was a lie!"

Interesting comparison. Except with STO PvP, it's more like we've gone through two courses of steak, 3-4 of lobster, and 4-5 of ice cream, while requesting cake the whole time. Basically, worse than what's stated there :P
    tIqIpqu' 'ej nom tIqIp
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    timezarg wrote: »
    Interesting comparison. Except with STO PvP, it's more like we've gone through two courses of steak, 3-4 of lobster, and 4-5 of ice cream, while requesting cake the whole time. Basically, worse than what's stated there :P

Actually, it's more like you got cake, didn't like the cake, heard that that was the only kind of cake the restaurant had, but you've been taking up a table complaining about the cake for three years.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    timezargtimezarg Member Posts: 1,268
    edited December 2013
    capnkirk4 wrote: »
    Here's what I don't understand. If you play STO for the PvP, and the PvP is clearly inferior to all the "other MMOs" out there, then why are you punishing yourself playing PvP in STO, and depriving yourself of all the superior alternatives that are out there? It doesn't make sense, see?

It's because we're cursed with being Star Trek fans who want to play a Star Trek game, no matter how mismanaged it ends up being. If there were a better Star Trek or Star Trek-esque game out there, I'd probably be playing that instead. As it stands. . .when it comes to space MMO PvP, I'm not aware of many interesting (to me) options. There's stuff like EVE which I'm not cut out for, and then there's stuff like STO PvP. . .which is neglected in favor of PvE development and micro-transaction goodies.

At this point, I think PvPers would be happy with just a mere reward increase for PvP activity. More dilithium, opportunity to earn more marks to level the reps via PvP, and more EC. We can't even get that, and our one major method of getting dilithium via PvP-ish activity (Ker'rat completion mission) was nerfed some time back to where it only provides a bit of dilithium every 1-3 days depending on whether you GET the mission. A daily on a 'rotation' with other PvP dailies. Brilliant move, devs.
    tIqIpqu' 'ej nom tIqIp
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!

bbbbbbbb
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    wait! what? there was cake?
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    mirrorshatnermirrorshatner Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Thread starts with a false proposition about "fear" of a revamp. When in fact there is no such fear.

Unless "Fear" is being used as a provocative world to troll.

As someone else already posted "Apathy" is the correct word. Most people just don't care. Don't attempt to equate lack of interest and insignificance as fear. It undermines your credibility.

By all accounts Star Trek Online has never been a "PvP Game". PvP has been an included peripheral, non-essential add-on that has been neglected and declined over time.

So then, why be surprised, and why are you still here complaining about the game not being "PvP" enough when there is more than enough evidence over time that what you are demanding is just not the case?

In any case, PvP in any game attracts some of the worst and most worthless sorts of people to games. Star Trek Online doesn't need to increase its share in worthless people.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    saekiith wrote: »
    Ah yeah.

And who do you think has to make the new Interfaces? The Map Assets? And whatever has been demanded as necessities?

Thats all content department usually. There is no "coding" in content. A bugfix/programming pass would be done entirely from the source code level, which would have no effect whatsoever on new assets other than tying them into the functions.

Seriously, the only thing that COULD interfere with a systems revamp would be an entirely new system like Admiral Fleet commands or something, even then it shouldnt affect combat calculation functions or inventory control, etc.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • Options
    edited December 2013

In any case, any game attracts some of the worst and most worthless sorts of people to games. Star Trek Online doesn't need to increase its share in worthless people.

Fixed it for you. As plenty of evidence has already been thrown around that PvE and PvP both have plenty of ego and ugliness to spare.
    Just pug in STF and watch it go sideways to see those worthless egoes erupt, and its alread widely known such egoes abound in PvP.

R.I.P
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    In any case, PvP in any game attracts some of the worst and most worthless sorts of people to games. Star Trek Online doesn't need to increase its share in worthless people.

If you think only PVP has shown the ugliness of people, then you must never play multiplayer games in general much. And not just stuff that is "head to head" competition. Go ahead and TRIBBLE some stuff up in an ESTF. Go ahead in another MMORPG and be the cause of ruining some sort of raid or other such PVE run.

Take the horse blinders off and notice that there are d-bags in every corner, and do take notice of the one in the mirror when making such statements about other crowds.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    roxbadroxbad Member Posts: 695
    edited December 2013
    By all accounts Star Trek Online has never been a "PvP Game". PvP has been an included peripheral, non-essential add-on that has been neglected and declined over time.

Obviously you are not aware of all accounts. The entire Klingon faction started out as PvPers. It was the only way for them to advance.

And the quote in my sig comes from STO's very own blog.

Your goodwill and generosity of spirit are a testament to the vision the Star Trek IP has portrayed for humanity.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    roxbad wrote: »
    Obviously you are not aware of all accounts. The entire Klingon faction started out as PvPers. It was the only way for them to advance.

And the quote in my sig comes from STO's very own blog.

Your goodwill and generosity of spirit are a testament to the vision the Star Trek IP has portrayed for humanity.

Actually it's more a case of the type of people that get attracted to PvP in games are the type of characters that get defeated in Star Trek on a weekly basis.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Actually it's more a case of the type of people that get attracted to PvP in games are the type of characters that get defeated in Star Trek on a weekly basis.

red shirts?

R.I.P
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    red shirts?

This post made my day :D
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    red shirts?

Well they do have in common is that death has no impact on their replenishment and reappearance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited December 2013

Id counter with the fact that in my experience with members of the STO community, the most vile jerks are among the PvE crowd, not the PvP one.

Ive been nothing but welcomed in the PvP circles, if anything I feel wanted and encouraged to be around. Even when we banter about a victory or loss, it feels warm. We get along. For the most part, rivalries do exist of course.

PvE guys (some of them) are downright nasty. Ive known more than a few that are literally egotistical pricks with nothing better to do than verbally attack even a brand new player because they feel they are superior.

It makes me sick to be frank. Not to mention some of the loudest ones couldnt even hold a candle to my builds. But thats just the truth. I will never understand why people get so uppity about beating relatively easy content.

I will concede in MOST games your statement is true, however in STO it seems to be the exact opposite. The vile/rude ones tend to be the self righteous PvE nerds.

Just saying.

Edit to add: I am a PvPer, does this make me worthless? If so, I would love to do an STF with you.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    /Snip

I've had very much the same experience, though I can be a stubborn sod so I find i can quite annoying sometimes :P but aside from that, I find pvp circles to be far friendlier than pve ones, I mean how many pve-ers can you run something with an then spend an hour discussing that, tactics, ability preferences, etc, etc? (I actually did this recently when i did a 1v1 pvp, better than any pve experience I've ever had)
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    PVPers, PVEers, RPers, Anti RPers, all have those kinds of people who just suck, but they also have awesome people.

So anyone who thinks one side has less Jerks than the other is in deep denial.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,541 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    ...In any case, PvP in any game attracts some of the worst and most worthless sorts of people to games. Star Trek Online doesn't need to increase its share in worthless people.
    I wanna know who put you in charge of deciding who was worthless? What criteria did you use? Was it scientifically valid or did you just go with the usual preconceived B.S. self centered reasons?

I don't PvP. However, if doing so makes me worthless, then I'll not play any other part of STO until you leave.

Arrogance on your part, Sir! Damnable arrogance at that! I demand satisfaction for your insult!
    I challenge you to a 1v1 PvP duel!
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    PVP revamp is going to happen if for nothing else it is a place for money to be made by Cryptic and for all this useless rep/fleet gear to be used. I think what we are seeing in S8 is a test of how a ground territory control pvp scenario would work. PvP in Neverwinter on the ground territory control looks very similar.

Lets really face the facts... PvE content right now is no more challenging than playing farmville clickies and getting your work done for the day/hour etc. The only place I really see to challenge your build or your skill set is against another player and it is the only place you need any specialty gear. STO's AI hardly qualifies as a challenge.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • Options
    westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,247 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I wanna know who put you in charge of deciding who was worthless? What criteria did you use? Was it scientifically valid or did you just go with the usual preconceived B.S. self centered reasons?

I don't PvP. However, if doing so makes me worthless, then I'll not play any other part of STO until you leave.

Arrogance on your part, Sir! Damnable arrogance at that! I demand satisfaction for your insult!

He wasn't saying that by pvping you're worthless he was saying that there are many pvpers who are and I think he means real pvpers not casuals who occasionally pvp.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

Funny but you're off base.
    In fact, every member of the human race has the right to judge character.

I judge people on the basis on how they treat others.

And the worthless people I am referring to are those that abuse and belittle others on the basis of their "game performance" - the best way to put it. Those people that adjudge that they are superior to their prey because of their "achievements" or "DPS" or "kill score" or "gear".

Or alternately, characterise PvP in one of the following ways:
    • A game of tennis between friends
    • A guy that beats up on his wife and kids

If you are in the second category then you are in the worthless category.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    cidstorm wrote: »
    There is no such thing as an irrelevant gaming market when discussing gaming. PVP-centric games being dominant on both consoles and computers affects everyone but mobile gamers. The FTP market is dominated by Mobas. This phenomena affects us as players and consumers. PVP is the most popular way to extend a games longevity and not treating it like a red headed step child will do the game well. Just because PVP doesn't dominate MMOs doesn't mean it's not important.
    I have no idea what planet it was that you just arrived from, but since you are obviously entirely new to our world, let me say welcome to planet Earth.

Despite whatever lies your alien overlords may have told you, the simple reality is that PvP is entirely irrelevant to the success of an MMO because the percentage of MMO players who play MMOs for PvP is infinitesimmally minute. Sorry to burst your bubble here, but you see, real PvP players do not choose to play MMOs. Instead, real PvP players choose to play games that were designed and developed from day one with a focus and emphasis on PvP. An MMO with some PvP tacked on as an afterthought is a clear sign that the game was not designed and developed from day one with a focus and emphasis on PvP.

The only players who try to make PvP work in an MMO are players who simply can not cut it in a real PvP game. No matter what you thought what you were getting when you bought the box.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    patrickngo wrote: »
    ah, yes...well, if you believe the gentleman quoted here, I submit the following link to a PVE thread as the counter-argument. (mind you, it's a couple hundered pages long) In which, to your disbelieving eyes, you will see the deep, warm decency of the PvE community on full display in all it's glorious charity, intellect, and cooperative sense.

Behold the Paragon of Gaming in STO.

to, ah, be absolutely clear here?

PvP doesn't have one of these.

A lot of people forget about that thread don't they? :P
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    capnkirk4 wrote: »
    What about a guy who beats up a guy who beats his wife and kids?

I would buy him a beer.

R.I.P
This discussion has been closed.