test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dear stranger who invited me to their fleet yesterday...

2»

Comments

• Options
    redstarsweredstarswe Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Yeah, fleets are really just money sinks, especially of you are geared up already. This is a big fault with star trek online atm, since there is no real pvp that you would need a tightly knitted fleet to train with. Cryptic need to spend some time on features that isn't directly cash generating such as pvp, or crafting.
    A contract is a contract...(but only between Ferengi).
  • Options
    mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    packer3434 wrote: »
    You can block fleet invites in the option menu you know.

I have invites blocked but I get PM to join fleets and then nasty remarks when I don't respond. I created my own fleet and usually just put my characters in it but this one was just starting out so it wasn't added yet. I understand the OPs issue, it seems people are being far too aggressive in their recruiting techniques. I like being in the fleets that I'm in and there are benefits obviously, but the fleet spam is getting obnoxious.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Gotta love the random invites. Only get them on my female toons however. tum-de-dum.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    mikefl wrote: »
    I have invites blocked but I get PM to join fleets and then nasty remarks when I don't respond. I created my own fleet and usually just put my characters in it but this one was just starting out so it wasn't added yet. I understand the OPs issue, it seems people are being far too aggressive in their recruiting techniques. I like being in the fleets that I'm in and there are benefits obviously, but the fleet spam is getting obnoxious.

hey how'd you get your own fleet, have a few friends go in with you or how?
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    carcharodon1975carcharodon1975 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    twg042370 wrote: »
    Because... and get ready because you're about to have your mind blown... My post wasn't about getting fleet invites. It was about the douchebag behavior after the invite was refused.

*shkpow* Mind blown!

And here's where I stopped reading.I was about to agree with you on the obnoxious behavior of fleet recruiters and their incessant recruitment spam....but this post tells me that you are just as obnoxious as the recruiters you hate.

:eek: *shkpow* to you too!
    The PWE/Cryptic sweatshop...not where the game is made,but where the game is played!

Take back your home,end the grind!

Volunteer moderators policing the forums is like a mall cop trying to solve a murder.
  • Options
    kriss257kriss257 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    ghyudt wrote: »
    Actually, I took full advantage of random fleet invites. Its not like you're stuck there if you join, so I kept accepting and leaving till I found a fleet in a high enough tier that I could get what I wanted. Most of these fleets will give you instant access to everything, and its really not all that much to pay for what you take, so that's exactly what I do. Instead of starting from the ground up, start a little bit over the middle. Once you have what you want, take off.

My'n FED and KDF are T5 and we dont do random invites (and we never did) bcs we are full . And what i'm hearing from chat, no T5 fleet is doing random inviting for free, if you want in and get the good stuff, you'll have to pay.:)
    10Chars and I play them ALL.

76561198045166665.png
  • Options
    newromulan1newromulan1 Member Posts: 2,229
    edited November 2013
    I admit that you have no idea about my opinion that fleets are nothing but resource pits and that's why I don't belong to one. And the prompt that comes up when you receive an invite doesn't give a person much in the way to refuse you with as many ego-soothing words as you'd like. And I appreciate that perhaps you're feeling some stress trying to get to T5 and you need more people. It can take a long time and those fleet ships are pretty sexy.

But telling me that I'm a *slang word for female genitalia* and then beaming out doesn't make me change my mind. It makes me just put you on my ever-growing ignore list.

I hope you one day find some non-*slang word for female genitalia*s to help you get that fleet Defiant you want.

I am sure your point would have gotten to the player if you had used the proper in game report to a GM regarding profane or abusive comments. Perhaps next time you should take this route.

At this point I only see this thread descending into a flame fest full of bad comments.
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    talonxv wrote: »
    hey how'd you get your own fleet, have a few friends go in with you or how?

You could do it that way. One of the more common ways I see is that people shout in zone for help creating a fleet. Offer some EC for it, say 500k per person. You'll probably get a full team quickly. Go to the fleet NPC and make your fleet then have the 4 other members leave the fleet and go on their way. Bam, you now have a 1 man solo fleet. I see people do this all the time.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Stranger danger!!
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    At this point I only see this thread descending into a flame fest full of bad comments.

Descended.

It's almost like some of the above feel like they're being singled out for some reason. Guilt, narcissism, or just general knee-jerk reactionary habits. Could be anything. I know not their minds.

However, I do know it's par for the course in these forums.
    <3
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Stranger danger!!

You think he was trying to lure me to his space van?
    <3
  • Options
    peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I have no problem with random invites personally. As long as they respect your refusal then who cares?
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I have no problem with random invites personally. As long as they respect your refusal then who cares?

That's my feeling on it.

That is, if you go by the words I've written in the thread. If you go by my secret words (that may be hidden in the site code but don't tell anyone) about me hating all fleets and recruiters and how everyone in a fleet is a poopyhead, then we must meet in Thunderdome to see who is more right.
    <3
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Irony is: My fleet dosen't actively recruit at all... We just somehow end up having people who occationally contact us and want in for whatever reason...

Fleet base progression is secondary to me... I'd much rather like people to do stuff together and then advance the fleet as a result... not the other way around.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Because... and get ready because you're about to have your mind blown... My post wasn't about getting fleet invites. It was about the douchebag behavior after the invite was refused.

*shkpow* Mind blown!

Nothing like a rant about the lowest of the low followed by the punchline of a blatant double standard.

Oh, the irony.
  • Options
    jarfarujarfaru Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    packer3434 wrote: »
    If I'm honest I'm probably lucky, I've only been a member of two different fleets and they've both been great.

The few times I've been on a new character and not had a fleet yet the only invites I've had (apart from blind invites) have been nice letters or pms so I may have some trouble understanding your point of view.

you lucky then. The few fleets i've been in were really bad.
  • Options
    vermatrixvermatrix Member Posts: 335 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    To me the most annoying thing is the zone chat spam and whats amusing about it is when people post recruiting messages in zone chat along with a long list of requirements, you have to donate, you have to be active every day, you have to use some 3rd party voice chat program, and on and on. Lil tip for the fleets who do that, no one wants to join a fleet that's way too bossy and demanding
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    darthstormstrikedarthstormstrike Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    vermatrix wrote: »
    To me the most annoying thing is the zone chat spam and whats amusing about it is when people post recruiting messages in zone chat along with a long list of requirements, you have to donate, you have to be active every day, you have to use some 3rd party voice chat program, and on and on. Lil tip for the fleets who do that, no one wants to join a fleet that's way too bossy and demanding

All too true. Been in one that tried to force the chat program in another game. Also that had to be active on said server all the time. And then the one making those demands ended up leaving a few days later and disbanded the guild when he left the game.

Don't you love when they don't live up to the active all the time requirement set forth? lol

OP apparently got an immature a-wipe who tried to blind invite into a fleet and then got his panties in a wad when the OP declined. Too funny.

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
  • Options
    blitzpigblitzpig Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I get random invites every time I take my newest character to Qo'noS.

It's my first Klingon player and it's often funny because of the number of random invites he gets every time. Never had anyone reply after I decline though.

I'd invite him to my little Fed fleet if I could.

That said I do pretty much share the opinion that fleets are a giant resource waste. We only started one because our merry band plays across many different games and we like to play together as a team, which comes from our origins in combat flight simulation.

I do feel sorry for my fellow Klingon players though. It's a tough row to hoe being at the bottom of the pecking order in STO.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    if your a fleet leader i would want nothing to do with your fleet such is that dismissive tone in the comment. this is also another reason i want nothing to do wth fleets, i have dealt with this kind before.

Geez, that felt a little uncalled for. All he (she?) said was: "Not really. You obviously don't like having these random invites, the option I described removes them from your experience completely." And that's actually not all that unreasonable, tbh. It's like Cryptic giving you a Neutronium to defend yourself, you then not fitting it, out of principle, and then complaining that you die a lot. Use the tools that are given to you! Or not; but then don't complain about these random invites.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    What I find funny are the blind inviters that try inviting you a second time like they think you somehow "accidentally" clicked on "no" the first time. I'm not against the idea of joining a fleet, but I've got to get to know you guys better before I consider even joining you.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Thank god I'm already in a good fleet.
  • Options
    smoovioussmoovious Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    anazonda wrote: »
    Irony is: My fleet dosen't actively recruit at all... We just somehow end up having people who occationally contact us and want in for whatever reason...

Fleet base progression is secondary to me... I'd much rather like people to do stuff together and then advance the fleet as a result... not the other way around.
    Yeah, that's basically how we are in our fleet too. We even let in people who just want some temporary access to fleet gear, no fuss, and we even have a couple people from other fleets who keep an alt or two in our fleet so they can dump resources to earn fleet credit, when their own fleet has reached the point where being able to earn FC has slowed down. (for which, we are grateful for the help :) )

-- Smoov
  • Options
    earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I get what you feel.

I'm not in a fleet and don't want to. I've had a few people that actually made me consider eventually joining one. They were polite, started with a greet, asked if I minded talking to them and then asked if I was interessed in joining a fleet, and so on. To people like that I even find rewarding "loosing" those few minutes that will serve no purpose to either one of us, because there's commuication there. And politeness.
    Zero tolerence to spoiled brats who loose it just because you didn't do something they wanted.

It also helps, when you say "No", if the person trying to recruit you, is still polite and friendly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
    Temperance Brennan, "A building"
  • Options
    vashfan17vashfan17 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    So, I'm totally new to MMO's and STO. I already got a random invite and turned it down because I didn't know the person and they did not reply to my message on the local chat channel asking for more info. But here is my question:

All the RP seems to happen inside of fleets, yet unless you want to pick up a random invite or try to sort through the recruiting posts on the forum, you have no way to really evaluate the fleets or for them to evaluate you without picking up a random invite. When you are new, you can't PM people either, and I have yet to see a lot of RP chatter on the local channel - rather that seem reserved for an unending stream of messages about who just got what starship or did well on some impossible mission like No Win Scenario. So, starting out it's really hard to find a good fleet. It's kind of like rushing except without the mixer parties to get to know the fleet types without joining.

Anyway, I'd like suggestions on how to approach this. Thus far, I've been reading fleet posts and replying to the ones that seem interesting (because noobs are not allowed to actually start new topics).

Thanks for the advice!

(I have a sort of form "About Me" blub that I developed to respond to interesting fleet announcements but I don't want to highjack this thread any more than I have already (Like I said, I am not allowed to start my own thread). I'm not sure how the in-game emails/chats really work either, and I don't want to drop my own email out here where some crawler can grab it. But I'm happy to tell you a bit more about myself and what I think I want from my STO experience.)
    t/p/o T'Valix (Male Rom-Fed Science in Federation Assassins)
    t/p/o Kontovar (Male Lethean Engineer in Imperial Assassins)
    t/p/o Mira (Female Rom-KDF Tactical)
    t/p/o Kreela (Female Ferengi Science in United Solar Legion)
    t/p/o Star-Astra (Female Alien-Fed Tactical)
  • Options
    smoovioussmoovious Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    @vashfan...

Well, some fleets do more RP than others, and some don't do any RP at all... (and there are some, who do too much RP... usually at Drozana Station...)

Finding a good fleet that suits your style of play with people who get along with you, just takes time and effort.

Think of each fleet as having its own unique culture. Some are huge, some are small, some are very social, others are very serious... some get together often to team up with each other, and others are a bunch of loners...

There is no easy way to find one that will best suit your personality.

My suggestion? Just keep focusing on getting yourself built up and the pre-made missions behind you. From time to time, join in a conversation happening nearby, and you'll end up finding a group that you end up having a good rapport with.

Just keep declining the random invites, and look into their conditions they impose to stay in the fleet. It sounds like those types, aren't what you're looking for anyways.

Good luck o/

-- Smoov

edit: and it doesn't take long to graduate out of noob status.
  • Options
    tavia12tavia12 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    If you go to the 3 little people, bunched together on your mini map. click on the first tab, to the left. Then go down to bottom right of that window and click privacy. You can shut off the option to receive fleet invites, or go anonymous, or just so that your friends can see you.

Hope this helps, blind invites can and are annoying.
  • Options
    lystentlystent Member Posts: 1,019
    edited January 2015
    I am sure that the guy who called you (was it newb?) at most rarely visits the forums, so what I would have done (disclaimer: not recommended) is give him the "FO!".
  • Options
    peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Wow, over a year!

That is some necromancy.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy