test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dear stranger who invited me to their fleet yesterday...

twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
edited January 2015 in Earth Spacedock
I admit that you have no idea about my opinion that fleets are nothing but resource pits and that's why I don't belong to one. And the prompt that comes up when you receive an invite doesn't give a person much in the way to refuse you with as many ego-soothing words as you'd like. And I appreciate that perhaps you're feeling some stress trying to get to T5 and you need more people. It can take a long time and those fleet ships are pretty sexy.

But telling me that I'm a *slang word for female genitalia* and then beaming out doesn't make me change my mind. It makes me just put you on my ever-growing ignore list.

I hope you one day find some non-*slang word for female genitalia*s to help you get that fleet Defiant you want.
<3
Post edited by twg042370 on

Comments

• Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    this is exactly why i never accept any and all blind fleet invites. i never accept advertised fleet invites either because i know nothing of them or their motivations. if a fleet is serious about having people they should find you and convince you that your a part of a team, not you going to them and your just another drone to their resource pit despite the kind glossed words.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    captwcaptw Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    just had a similar experience yesterday on my new Vulcan captain I made to play the new tutorial, gracefully declined and went on my main who is my fleet leader and invited myself into my small quaint fleet. I look at my fleet as one of those that are there to get away from those pesky sneak/shadow fleet invites. (you know those ones that look on the online list and find that one captain who isn't in a fleet)
    lHut1H2.jpg
    "I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we lived" Picard to Riker
  • Options
    packer3434packer3434 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    You can block fleet invites in the option menu you know.
    Well I can't forget a face but I won't remember y'all.
    Bleed Green and Gold
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    packer3434 wrote: »
    You can block fleet invites in the option menu you know.

besides the point. the way some fleets go about recruiting leaves a lot to be desired.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    besides the point. the way some fleets go about recruiting leaves a lot to be desired.

Not really. You obviously don't like having these random invites, the option I described removes them from your experience completely.
    Bleed Green and Gold
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    packer3434 wrote: »
    Not really. You obviously don't like having these random invites, the option I described removes them from your experience completely.

if your a fleet leader i would want nothing to do with your fleet such is that dismissive tone in the comment. this is also another reason i want nothing to do wth fleets, i have dealt with this kind before.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I was going to agree with you but then I remembered I've still had obnoxious inbreds try to recruit me anyway thru private messages who refused to take "no" for an answer.

Now since I'm not easily offended I usually get a kick watching them vent their spleens when I continue to politely refuse and let them dig their graves deeper and deeper with the name calling, threats, and attempts to intimidate me before I laughingly send it all to a GM for punishment.

If I'm honest I'm probably lucky, I've only been a member of two different fleets and they've both been great.

The few times I've been on a new character and not had a fleet yet the only invites I've had (apart from blind invites) have been nice letters or pms so I may have some trouble understanding your point of view.
    Bleed Green and Gold
  • Options
    elemberq333elemberq333 Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    twg042370 wrote: »
    I admit that you have no idea about my opinion that fleets are nothing but resource pits and that's why I don't belong to one. And the prompt that comes up when you receive an invite doesn't give a person much in the way to refuse you with as many ego-soothing words as you'd like. And I appreciate that perhaps you're feeling some stress trying to get to T5 and you need more people. It can take a long time and those fleet ships are pretty sexy.

But telling me that I'm a *slang word for female genitalia* and then beaming out doesn't make me change my mind. It makes me just put you on my ever-growing ignore list.

I hope you one day find some non-*slang word for female genitalia*s to help you get that fleet Defiant you want.

This is why I am dead set against random invites and I belong to a fleet that is quite probably one of the most thriving fleets in STO at the moment. My Fleet leader sometimes used to say I should go out and randomly invite people but I just can not do that. I need to team up with someone, befriend them, and then maybe mention that my fleet is seeking new members.

The reason my fleet is thriving is because of how we recruit and 99% of players invited end up staying because the fleet chat is very fun to be a part of. Participation in team events is very high and normally when I login there are at least 15 to 20 players online with many more then that at peak play times.

By the sounds or your experience this person attempting to start a fleet will not be successful unless they realize that people need to want to belong or there is absolutely no point in inviting them. And then when that person gets turned down and they resort to comments like that, this shows me that this person has no chance at all of ever running a successful fleet/guild, ever.
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited November 2013

How is that besides the point? If you're not going to use the tools the game gives you to avoid being randomly invited, why complain? Just because you enjoy complaining?

I agree that there are a number of fleets with scummy recruiting practices. And you can easily ignore them by blocking the invites, blocking anyone who PMs you about it, and reporting anyone who PMs you and acts like a jerk like what happened to OP.
  • Options
    ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Actually, I took full advantage of random fleet invites. Its not like you're stuck there if you join, so I kept accepting and leaving till I found a fleet in a high enough tier that I could get what I wanted. Most of these fleets will give you instant access to everything, and its really not all that much to pay for what you take, so that's exactly what I do. Instead of starting from the ground up, start a little bit over the middle. Once you have what you want, take off.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    How is that besides the point?

Because... and get ready because you're about to have your mind blown... My post wasn't about getting fleet invites. It was about the douchebag behavior after the invite was refused.

*shkpow* Mind blown!
    <3
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Mind you, I was running a Cardassian. If he was referring to the scaled spoon as a *slang for female genitalia* then I figure his love life is punishment enough.
    <3
  • Options
    ijimithyijimithy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I got lucky with the fleet I'm in, it wasn't a random invite as so many people get but more of a request when my Rommy hit 50. Not all fleets are bad or a resource pit, the way PWE is doing things all the best stuff is being put into Fleets and if you want the best you have to join a fleet and contribute.

I happen to enjoy playing with my fleeties doing the new content old content and PvP it makes a change from solo/random play in the game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    No Drama, No Fuss, Just good old fashioned pew pew!
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    If being in a fleet is something you dig, then more power to you, I say.
    <3
  • Options
    kamenriderzero1kamenriderzero1 Member Posts: 906 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I was randomly invited to the fleet I'm in. I guess I was lucky since I'm quite happy with the people I'm working with.
    Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
    What's my position?
    That people should know what they're screaming about!
    (paraphrased from "The Newsroom)
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Because... and get ready because you're about to have your mind blown... My post wasn't about getting fleet invites. It was about the douchebag behavior after the invite was refused.

*shkpow* Mind blown!

Still a totally pointless post. There's a report to GM function built into the game precisely so you don't have to come to the forum to complain about things like this.
  • Options
    aliensamongusaliensamongus Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I really don't like fleets. It serves no purpose really.

One of the ways it can be changed is to make them Fleet Marks you have to get from the queues, to be your Fleet members only to gain them. Not pool everyone into one queue, just because you're in a Fleet to begin with.

It's rather self-defeating.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I shut invites off long ago for the 2 storage toons of mine that arent in our fleet.

That being said, I still think the ESD/Romulus/Qonos spam is about ten times more annoying.

Yeah yeah, ignore list. Still gets stupid. Especially the ones that ask to pay you to start a fleet with them just so they have more storage or want to do it solo.

Make an alt and throw your TRIBBLE on that through the shared bank. That is how its done in virtually every other MMO out there.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • Options
    collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I wouldn't worry about it. That girl he finally got up the courage to pass a note to in 7th grade science probably circled "no" on his little love note. He was having a bad day. He heard some high school kids he admires use that word and probably doesn't even know what it means. ;)

FWIW, I turn off all social items and play the game as a loner. I've probably ticked off a few people when I didn't reply to their tells or such. Oh well. Such is life.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Over the years I've run across some aggressive recruiters. Not often, but the ones that made an impression, were truly the worst of the lot. The three that come to mind right now, (not from this game) knew that I was already a member of another guild/fleet while they were trying to recruit me.

One went so far as to join our guild and tried to recruit people in our guild channel, and went ballistic when he was kicked from both the guild and private channel. :P

Heh, i know the type actually.

Our fleet has a pretty open teamspeak guest policy (like for our pvp group, we invite guests from time to time to coordinate).

That being said, our fleet leader has a pretty strict policy about advertising their fleets in our TS. ive seen a couple of people kicked for it, one was flat out trying to get people too.

You dont come over to my house for dinner and ask if you can take my significant other home with you.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Still a totally pointless post. There's a report to GM function built into the game precisely so you don't have to come to the forum to complain about things like this.

Hey now. Such misplaced hostility. Unless...

Was that you?!
    <3
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    You dont come over to my house for dinner and ask if you can take my significant other home with you.

What if they asked politely?
    <3
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    What if they asked politely?

gtfo my house.
    Gold.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    gtfo my house.

What if there was the promise of gas money?
    <3
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    What if there was the promise of gas money?

Solicitation of prostitution?
    Gold.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Solicitation of prostitution?

Depends on the jurisdiction?
    <3
  • Options
    smoovioussmoovious Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Honestly, would you even want to be part of a fleet that doesn't care who they let into it?

When I started, I kept turning down all unsolicited invites. I was getting them constantly, just being annoying.

The fleet I ended up joining, was after I had a conversation with another player over something I don't even remember now, and as we finished up our convo, he tossed out something like "btw, are you looking for a fleet?"...

I actually hadn't been looking for one, and by then was actively avoiding one, but I joined solely because we had built up a light rapport in that few minutes by then, long enough to get a feel for each other, and then agreed to join.

It has turned out to be a small fleet with a good group of dedicated players, and the only regret I have from joining them, is many of them hop onto Tribble, and keep talking about the upcoming content and I have to keep shouting back to them "NO SPOILERS!!!" :D

For the small amount of effort it took to have an actual conversation with someone first, I think they would find their success rate higher in getting more quality members, than filling your fleets with people who will take any invite randomly thrown at them.

-- Smoov
  • Options
    fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I get what you feel.

I'm not in a fleet and don't want to. I've had a few people that actually made me consider eventually joining one. They were polite, started with a greet, asked if I minded talking to them and then asked if I was interessed in joining a fleet, and so on. To people like that I even find rewarding "loosing" those few minutes that will serve no purpose to either one of us, because there's commuication there. And politeness.
    Zero tolerence to spoiled brats who loose it just because you didn't do something they wanted.
  • Options
    smoovioussmoovious Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I get what you feel.

I'm not in a fleet and don't want to. I've had a few people that actually made me consider eventually joining one. They were polite, started with a greet, asked if I minded talking to them and then asked if I was interessed in joining a fleet, and so on. To people like that I even find rewarding "loosing" those few minutes that will serve no purpose to either one of us, because there's commuication there. And politeness.
    Zero tolerence to spoiled brats who loose it just because you didn't do something they wanted.
    Yeah... even when someone declines my offer to join (and I rarely just talk to them just to get them to join), about half the time we still end up on each other's friend list.

I'll answer when someone posts in zone "looking for a fleet", and my typical reply is "what are you looking for in a fleet?"

I suppose I could have just thrown a fleet invite at him and left it at that, since he was asking for one, but there were a few where we would not have ended up being a good fit for what he was wanting, and it was all good, and no ignore lists were involved.

The way it should end up, IMHO...

-- Smoov
  • Options
    foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    this is exactly why i never accept any and all blind fleet invites. i never accept advertised fleet invites either because i know nothing of them or their motivations. if a fleet is serious about having people they should find you and convince you that your a part of a team, not you going to them and your just another drone to their resource pit despite the kind glossed words.

That's usually why people typically say "Fleet X recruiting, PM with questions" when doing an all channels hail.

You can't type up everything in chat. You hit the bullet points and ask for people to PM you if they want to know more or have specific questions.