test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO Season 8 Pre-Patching [Now Disabled]

Comments

• yudhistiroyudhistiro Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hi Captains,

Pre-patching for Season 8 has been enabled! Upon logging out of Holodeck, the launcher will pop up again and start the pre-patch download.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Brandon,

can we also have a breakdown on how the pre-patch is going to behave?
    because now upon exiting - on ALL closing the client; it starts downloading pre-patch - stops at 2Megabytes or something, and disappear. Whenever i starts the launcher, its also patching 3GB-ish, going until 7% and poof 100% done.
    Is this normal behavior? or my patch has already borked? or I have just downloaded partially? whether there will be other prepatch tomorrow?

There is just so little information regarding the prepatch.
    It will help a lot, at least to verify succesfull pre-patch or not - if there is some hint for expected behaviour, guide to prepatch folder checklist or something.
  • captainednacaptainedna Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    probably s8 preload or they changed some shet that needs new game files.

Changelog:

*Updated NSA spy code;

:D
  • battykoda0battykoda0 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Brandon, please forgive my sense of "gloom and doom! The universe is ending!" but I have been over on Tribble a lot doing testing and getting ideas of what to do to pass on to my fleet and I have to honestly say that Season 8 is nowhere near ready to even be pronounced a form a life let alone live. I hope you guys in the office there are not planning on launching this soon. It's in a horrible state of existence. Don't rush this season to try to gain people. Make sure this one works before you push it out. We still have a massive amount of bugs from LoR and then more bugs caused by fixing other bugs. I only speak for myself here but maybe whisper in someone's ear over there to have a bug hunt on Holodeck and slow the pace for Season 8 a bit. I know you have deadlines and budgets but...
    Wow. There is a new KDF Science ship. I'll be!
  • yudhistiroyudhistiro Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    This patching again and again has happened in the past with some seasons.

Thanks mate.
    At least now i know the never-ending-repeating patching is not something uncommon.
    Jolan tru! :)
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hi Captains,

Pre-patching for Season 8 has been enabled! Upon logging out of Holodeck, the launcher will pop up again and start the pre-patch download.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Bran, I rarely say this to all y'all, but you did good! :) You listened to the community, and finally gave cruiser some love. And the new content looks pretty exciting! Actually looking forward to Season 8!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,468 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Is tribble still Gold/Silver only?
    Tested before, but as off late i am unable to enter tribble for testing.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • cajalacajala Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hi,

After I exit STO the launcher updates the game again and again. Its a 2.3 GB patch which takes too long to wait for every time. How to fix?
  • lonestar1017lonestar1017 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I am having the same issue. However mine is a 5.5 gig patch. And Season 8 isn't due to come out until the 12th. Is there going to be yet another patch on Thursday and again on the 12th?
  • defalusdefalus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It's a pre-patch for season 8, you can let it patch up now or wait to the 12th and let it all patch up when everyone is trying to access the servers at the same time to get at the new content.
    Hi,

After I exit STO the launcher updates the game again and again. Its a 2.3 GB patch which takes too long to wait for every time. How to fix?

It's not broken. It is meant to be doing that. It's the prepatch for season 8.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • jon59650jon59650 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Damnit! I thought my install was broken so I am reinstalling STO :facepalm:

I should have remembered this from LOR prepatching.
    sto-afk-list.tumblr.com/
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited November 2013
    questerius wrote: »
    Is tribble still Gold/Silver only?
    Tested before, but as off late i am unable to enter tribble for testing.

Tribble is open to Gold and Silver now -- that means all players as you're either Gold or Silver :)
    godimas wrote: »
    Awesome!

Are we forgoing an official Tribble test weekend this time? Or did I miss out? Hope not. I like collecting goofy tribbles :P

No formalized Tribble Test Weekend, however the current plan is to provide a new, free Tribble as reward at S8 launch :)
    yudhistiro wrote: »
    Can we disable it?

Just close the launcher when it pops back up if you don't want to pre-patch. While it looks like it's starting over next time, the amount to patch should be represented by a smaller number. You still go 0-100% but the patch size should be smaller based on what you've already patched.

Every time you exit, you'll still get a pre-patch pop up as it's checking to see if you have the latest pre-patch version. If you do, it should close out fairly quickly.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I am having the same problem.
  • nevawinnanevawinna Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It's broken in exactly the same way it was for LoR pre-patching: closes after a few seconds.
    edited November 2013
    nevawinna wrote: »
    It's broken in exactly the same way it was for LoR pre-patching: closes after a few seconds.

This usually indicates your pre-patch is complete/ up-to-date. Have you been staying up-to-date with Tribble patches? That may have reduced your pre-patch size.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • nevawinnanevawinna Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    This usually indicates your pre-patch is complete/ up-to-date. Have you been staying up-to-date with Tribble patches? That may have reduced your pre-patch size.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Got both test clients up to date. Doesn't look like patching is complete, though, judging by the completion % displayed for download and patching, neither goes anywhere near 100%.
  • ufpterrellufpterrell Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Just dipping this out there, no more Tribbles please.. they're clogging up my bank and inventory as it is. I would however LOVE more unique DOFF's like the "Ang the Vicious" Breen DOFF we got for Season 6 testing. Something useful please Cryptic! Although I think it's already a given that we'll get a Solanae Tribble "1 Dyson mark per hour" bla bla bla.
    Terrell.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
  • embrosilembrosil Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Any idea why is it downloading all over? I finished, started game, quit and it downloads something again. Just a few MBs it seems. Then the launcher closes and when open, my game starts to patch (3000 kb). It is all over. Please FIX it.
  • daevegdaeveg Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    when it tries to execute the patch, it does not get very far in the download, and the launcher exits suddenly without so much as an error message. Then when I go back into the game and exit out after a subsequent play, it does the same thing. The patch never completes. Has anyone else seen this?
  • ziktofelziktofel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It happens to me, but once it appeared it ran successfully, but every time after that it looks that it crashes everytime at same point near beginning

so it looks it isn't a Wine issue
  • pirateshampoopirateshampoo Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Is it supposed to download the same patch everytime i close or open the game?
    edited November 2013
    nevawinna wrote: »
    Got both test clients up to date. Doesn't look like patching is complete, though, judging by the completion % displayed for download and patching, neither goes anywhere near 100%.

If there is nothing new to pre-patch, it would close after a few moments, as you described, and not go from 0-100% again. The few "MBs" you are seeing is the client reading the data and looking to see if it's up to date. Sounds like everything is working correctly.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • richacrichac Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    For me too it keeps patching the game everytime I exit or start game. It feels like its patching the same thing over and over.....what in the heck is going on? 4 or 5 gigs....everytime i start the game or exit? we talking 4 or 5 times now.....ridiculous.

I feel like I've been TRIBBLE lmao. This is as suspicious as Arc not working for me, and then having to download the game from steam. And then having corrupted pigg files....having to delete the hogg files.....then having to just delete everythign and download again through the launcher.. Had nothign to do with my connection or my pc.....but I was like yes finally i got the game installed and running good for a week no issues.

and now this? This does not seem legit to me.

Especially frustrating since these servers are so dam slow...Their servers are killing this game and probably why peoples downloads always get corrupted......This is one way to get people to quit alright lol.
  • satanailofhwbgsatanailofhwbg Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    This is a much better approach, avoiding the congestion on 12th that would have occurred. It's good that you have learned your lesson from the last "THIS IS SPARTAAAA!" we had. Good job!
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    If there is nothing new to pre-patch, it would close after a few moments, as you described, and not go from 0-100% again. The few "MBs" you are seeing is the client reading the data and looking to see if it's up to date. Sounds like everything is working correctly.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

No, it definitely started patching again, here too. It was at ca. 2%, then jumped to 100%; but, as you well know, if there's truly nothing to patch, launcher will just say "Patching...", without actually starting a patch-process (with percentage bar).
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,987 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Nothing in the Release notes since 10/30?

Large Patch this morning when I closed the Launcher and a small "check" patch when I closed it just now.

What are you up to?
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Shenanigans.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,987 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Thank You for the Data.

They should have had something on the website like one of their blogs about this.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Thank You for the Data.

They should have had something on the website like one of their blogs about this.

OR... simply post it in the Announcements section?
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
This discussion has been closed.