test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO Season 8 Pre-Patching [Now Disabled]

Comments

• kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Yeah, I've been noticing the same peculiar behavior. Very strange.
  • svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Do to a mix up after moving I was on a limited usage plan, until today, so I had to stop the download. Will this cause any problems after todays patch?
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • martok16martok16 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I have on-demand patching disabled, so that all content is downloaded, but since the last shard update, everytime I quit the launcher it closes, then re-opens itself, and starts patching 5GB, then closes on its own.

It never did that before.

I did notice the last number on the last shard update was .36 but when the launcher keeps patching, I see a .00

I can't keep sitting here, waiting for 5GB everytime I quit the launcher.
  • tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    it's the pre-patch download for Season 8. personally i just close it everytime it pops up after the first. specially since its always the same number for me.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Oh the magic of pre-patching. :D
  • gabrielinwestmingabrielinwestmin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Geez.. My Star trek online program folder is now over 8 gigabytes. Its getting bigger and bigger each day. I wouldn't be surprised if it capped at 10 gigabytes.

http://s1296.photobucket.com/user/gabriel_fonseca1/slideshow/STO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Greywolf Taskforce - Officer of the Fleet
  • philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
    edited November 2013
    Compared to LoR launch, this pre-patching for Season 8 has been practically painless for me. Okay, so there was one crash after a patch/install (at the CRYPTIC launching screen) and one in-game crash when I was trying to warp from one sector to another. Other than that, downloads have only occasionally (rather than chronically like LoR) been lengthy and time-consuming. With the big downloads apparently now out of the way, all I've seen are patches and those have been fairly quick to download/install. If only LoR had been like this, what a joy it would've been right from the start!
  • martok16martok16 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Earlier, I started the launcher played a few missions, then quit, the launcher re-opened and patched 5GB, but, before that I checked the STO folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Perfect World Entertainment\Star Trek Online_en), and it was 42.2GB, then later I started the lancher again, played a few missions, and so on, and just now I finished another mission, and exited the launcher, and now my STO folder has increased to 80GB.

Eventually my hard drive will reach it's capacity, all because the launcher keeps downloading 5GB everytime I quit the launcher.
  • linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    After signing out of the game, I started to download a 2.392 GB patch.

...and, we are away!

:)
    martok16 wrote: »
    ...my STO folder has increased to 80GB.
    Yeah, um... I think there is something wrong. Are you downloading the whole server or something?

:eek:
  • kheldrynkheldryn Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Good to hear, now if only you'd truly fix the Stipend issue with Season 8 I'll be happy.. I seem to be missing not only this months, but the last 2 as well.. Oh well.. Here's hoping you don't break anything else. :P

And you're taking how long to download.. at how many Gigs? Dude, your PC has issues.. Its not that big. I keep my games on a 50 gig HDD, and It has STO, CO, DMO and WoW on it (And half of that 50 is WoW) and still have nearly 10 GB left.. I'd look to see what its downloading if I were you.
    Fleet Admiral Nyte T'challa-United Federation of Planets-Task Force Draco-Tactical
    "No matter where you go, there you are."
    "I found a bug in Beta, Cryptic squished it. STO Founder and Proud LTS member."
  • astimingpyleastimingpyle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    My game launcher recently started to insist on downloading and patching every single time I launch the game, and every time I exit the game. The Patches seem to be approximately 2.3 Gb, or less.

This is a recent development which began somewhere around the beginning of November (2013). I've uninstalled the game, and reinstalled and still every time I launch Star Trek, I have to wait for a patch to download and patch. Then after I'm done playing and exit out of the game, it restarts the launcher, and downloads and patches again.

When the 'game exit' occurrence of the patch happens, the launcher automatically shuts it's self off upon completion.

Is this normal when a new episode is about to be released, or is there something wrong with my installation of the game?
  • scurry5scurry5 Member Posts: 1,554 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It's doing pre-patching for Season 8.
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Also, it's not patching every time. Look at the text at the end of the progress bar and watch how much is actually downloaded, rather than how much is "patched": Once you let it finish (it'll draw from Tribble server files, so if you're up to date there it'll be fairly fast), it'll scan through what you already had but not download more.

This is just like a torrent in progress starting at 0% every time you load it - it's not downloading from 0, but confirming what's already downloaded.
  • admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Nothing wrong with your install. but Everytime you uninstall and reinstall the game, your just adding in more time it takes for the download to finish. This is normal for all major updates.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • malek3malek3 Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    So, does anyone have any info as to why my game launcher has to patch every time I login and logout as well? They are short patches, but this never happened before Thursday's downtime. Does not seem to be causing any problems in game, but just curious if this is being experienced by anyone else. :confused:
  • astimingpyleastimingpyle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    this is due to the game being pre-patched ready for the season 8 update.
    when the main update is applied on 12th the more times you have pre-patched the less you will need to patch then so it should make it a lot quicker for you.
    this is very common with large updates like this so its nothing to worry about.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• mhirtescmhirtesc Member Posts: 581 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Every time I log in or out of the game, the Launcher goes into Patch Mode, but only seems to download about 7% before it quits out from it. Is this normal or is the patching glitching up and I may to do a total re-install on the 12th?
  • daskippadaskippa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    this is due to the game being pre-patched ready for the season 8 update.
    when the main update is applied on 12th the more times you have pre-patched the less you will need to patch then so it should make it a lot quicker for you.
    this is very common with large updates like this so its nothing to worry about.

Question (sorry if it's been asked already) but if you select force verify will it do the pre-patch in one lump sum instead of a lil here and a lil there?
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    mhirtesc wrote: »
    Every time I log in or out of the game, the Launcher goes into Patch Mode, but only seems to download about 7% before it quits out from it. Is this normal or is the patching glitching up and I may to do a total re-install on the 12th?

I'm also having this problem. I've already done force verify through Steam, and had the client itself do a force verify because the game completely crashed my computer yesterday.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    mhirtesc wrote: »

Same happens here, except for it reaches 0.01% then it goes off.
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
  • phoeniciusphoenicius Member Posts: 762 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    is anyone else having trouble with the s8 pre-patch? some of my guildmates also gave up on trying to pre-patch it, since it keeps closing by itself at the start for some reason.

the weird thing is that after it fails, i have to download a patch the same size of the downloaded part of the pre-patch(around 3mb), every time i want to re-open STO.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Its minor upgrades along the way..

In your fleetmates case, it's because they already have what is needed, but the patcher dosen't know this until it's run a quick scan.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It is confusing. You'd think after the pre-patch was loaded, that would be it, but no... it has to have insecurity issues about whether or not it actually was loaded.
  • d3nd3n12d3nd3n12 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Its been a while since I've gone thru a big patch with STO, so I may just be stupid for asking: but, is anyone else finding this 7Gb patch going very, very slowly? Or, is that just how the big patches are?

thanks!

d3n
  • gwassalorgwassalor Member Posts: 164
    edited November 2013
    My prepatching always only goes like 1000 kB out of 3GB and then it stops.
  • ijimithyijimithy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    If you have access to Tribble (Gold for testing phases like now and then free for Silvers any other time) Patch up on tribble and come Tuesday it should just mirror the Tribble files over and decrease your patch download A LOT lol but yea the pre patcher keeps coming up after you close to get updates so every little helps eh.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    No Drama, No Fuss, Just good old fashioned pew pew!
  • iulian28iulian28 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hello everyone ! I have a problem with the STO game launcher . Every time I open the launcher , it appears that it has to patch 3098 Kb and after it patches aprox 256 Kb, it suddenly stops and it says that it's ready to "Engage" .

The same problem after I exit the game . After a few seconds it sudenly appears the launcher all by itself without me clicking it , it starts patching again aroung 256 Kb and the same problem persists .

Any ideas ? Please help me ! Thank you in advance .
  • icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    iulian28 wrote: »
    Hello everyone ! I have a problem with the STO game launcher . Every time I open the launcher , it appears that it has to patch 3098 Kb and after it patches aprox 256 Kb, it suddenly stops and it says that it's ready to "Engage" .

The same problem after I exit the game . After a few seconds it sudenly appears the launcher all by itself without me clicking it , it starts patching again aroung 256 Kb and the same problem persists .

Any ideas ? Please help me ! Thank you in advance .

doing the same thing to me, since the patch 2 Thursdays ago.
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    This is happening to everyone, and appears to be normal behavior. Probably downloads a index list of new files, then compares it to what you have, and if you already have it...
This discussion has been closed.