test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO Season 8 Pre-Patching [Now Disabled]

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
Hi Captains,

Pre-patching for Season 8 has been enabled! Upon logging out of Holodeck, the launcher will pop up again and start the pre-patch download.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• priestofsin420priestofsin420 Member Posts: 419
    edited November 2013
    Awesome.

I'm away from my main PC at the moment, but does anyone know the size of the download?

Also, does anyone know how large will the overall footprint be?

I ask, because I use an SSD, and space is a premium.
    Sardak (Science Officer): Captain of a 23k DPS R'Mor Temporal Science Vessel, R.R.W. Vathos
    Odan Brota (Science Officer): Captain of a 28k DPS Scryer Intel Science Vessel, U.S.S. Kepler
    Patiently waiting for a Romulan Science Vessel
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    2796mb big according to the tribble download im currently downloading. in addition to a few hundred mb from the prepatch as most of the files will be copied from tribble to main anyways.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • priestofsin420priestofsin420 Member Posts: 419
    edited November 2013
    2796mb big according to the tribble download im currently downloading. in addition to a few hundred mb from the prepatch as most of the files will be copied from tribble to main anyways.

Thank you, I appreciate it. Guess some other game's gonna have to go... see you in heck, Deus Ex.
    Sardak (Science Officer): Captain of a 23k DPS R'Mor Temporal Science Vessel, R.R.W. Vathos
    Odan Brota (Science Officer): Captain of a 28k DPS Scryer Intel Science Vessel, U.S.S. Kepler
    Patiently waiting for a Romulan Science Vessel
  • jkirk13jkirk13 Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Awesome.

I'm away from my main PC at the moment, but does anyone know the size of the download?

Also, does anyone know how large will the overall footprint be?

I ask, because I use an SSD, and space is a premium.

Mine is clocking in at 5576MB so it is a big one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • godimasgodimas Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Awesome!

Are we forgoing an official Tribble test weekend this time? Or did I miss out? Hope not. I like collecting goofy tribbles :P
    edited November 2013
    godimas wrote: »
    Awesome!

Are we forgoing an official Tribble test weekend this time? Or did I miss out? Hope not. I like collecting goofy tribbles :P

no official notice, an unofficial last minute report and patch before release i take it?
  • abfabfleetabfabfleet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Awesome!

Sweet mother of God, no more tribbles or useless pets. :D
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Awesome!

I'm not sure. Quite a few people (myself included) complained about getting yet another tribble as a test reward. They may have opted to just not do one or maybe they have something else in mind. We'll have to see.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Mother of god. Das a big update.
  • usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    just started the launcher and it downloaded 75mb and it patched 5gb or so , whats in this patch ?
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited November 2013
  • kaiserkactokaiserkacto Member Posts: 482 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Pre-patch for season 8
    "In every age,
    In every place,
    The deeds of men remain the same..."
    12701.png
  • deathsremnantdeathsremnant Member Posts: 265
    edited November 2013
    Tribbles reproduced, have to add more Mbs to cover the increase in population.
  • deniedexistencedeniedexistence Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Patching now.

Just hope they don't sneak ARC in...........

Only time they will 'sneak' arc in is when they finally decide to swap the current launcher for arc

Also as a side note, if you want a faster patch on launch day, make sure you have tribble downloaded and up to date, that will make the initial patch smaller on the 12th
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Edit: Got it working now showing 2391 Mb not as big as I thought it would be.

Yeah if they try to sneak arc in I will just uninstall
  • gmarcqgmarcq Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    So when is the actually patch set to be released because 8 days early for a patch that might receive another couple of fixes while being tested on tribble seems a bit much. A few days early i can understand but why 8 days early?
  • elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    gmarcq wrote: »
    So when is the actually patch set to be released because 8 days early for a patch that might receive another couple of fixes while being tested on tribble seems a bit much. A few days early i can understand but why 8 days early?

Why 8 days early? In order to spread out the download as much as possible so that the bandwidth is less slammed on launch day.

As for the possibility of additional fixes, those will be released separately as a launch-day patch. Easy peasy.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
    edited November 2013
    just played the season 8 update for about 35minutes before the server came down on tribble, was in a fascinating fight with two voth mechs before the server went down in the best part of the fight xD. anyways, fun while it lasted at least for now.
  • aquitaine985aquitaine985 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hey Bran, is there not going to be a test weekend?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Aquitaine985
    Lag Industries STO PvP Fleet - Executive
    A Sad Panda of Industrial calibre.
    2010: This is Cryptic PvP. Please hold the line, your call is very important to us...
  • khanharnkhanharn Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Grand news indeed :D
    Early Access Captain 29/01/10

Kanharn's Memory Alpha.
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    gmarcq wrote: »

Its all about the hype. Unless there are a few new ships for each faction beyond the fleet ones that shoulda been in a long time ago for fleet ships than its just a bunch of spun up hype with most of the rep gear being useless. Only rep gear that seemed decent or usable though was the ground set but rest of it is utter sub par garbage.
  • endorfinatorendorfinator Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I missed the post earlier today, how do I do it again?
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Launch sto, leave STO. Patcher start again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hardly seems worth the bother to patch for season 8, as they just made it not worth doing due to increasing costs X2!!

All that talk about how this Rep was going to be different, only to default into greed mode again.....
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• sparhawksparhawk Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    Hardly seems worth the bother to patch for season 8, as they just made it not worth doing due to increasing costs X2!!

All that talk about how this Rep was going to be different, only to default into greed mode again.....

For anyone wanting specifics read the patch note thread:http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=903481
  • generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited November 2013
    lan451 wrote: »
    I'm not sure. Quite a few people (myself included) complained about getting yet another tribble as a test reward. They may have opted to just not do one or maybe they have something else in mind. We'll have to see.

Based from the dates and the time we are on... I come to the conclusion... as Alrivera sad that They will mostly give another tribble.. for the test weekend.. meaning there might be one planed... it would have to be... this weekend 8-9th....
  • johnnymo1johnnymo1 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    can we get a dinosaur tribble as a reward? you can use it as a device where it produces a similar effect as rally cry. comes with a special audio effect when used of a roar.
  • yudhistiroyudhistiro Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hi Captains,

Pre-patching for Season 8 has been enabled! Upon logging out of Holodeck, the launcher will pop up again and start the pre-patch download.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Can we disable it?

There is 1 million reason why one would log out from STO. eat, drink, work, etc etc
    I know prepatch is a good idea to avoid traffic congestion upon season 8 lauch, but it will be a 10x better idea if we are given control to When we are actually wanted to prepatch. So we can make sure the PC have time to prepatch (nobody is going to use it), internet line is clear, no other software is running, etc. etc.

As i understand if we close the prepatch before it finished, it will just borked the whole prepatch file - and it just restarted the whole process.
  • drachenfelesdrachenfeles Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    each time I start or close launcher, it is starting autopatch procedure, but it appears patch has no effect, 3098KB is downloaded each time I start, and 2391MB when I exit yet the procedure on exit stops and launcher shuts down after 1-2%

did it about 15 times to be sure
  • sandormen123sandormen123 Member Posts: 862 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    My launcher/STO is just updating itself with a 5576MB patch (???)

Why?

Nevermind, I just saw that it is S8 pre-patch going on.
    Sweet, might take a Little strain off the devs during releaseday. Good planning.
    /Floozy
This discussion has been closed.