What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cryptic: About Geko and the Senior Staff

Comments

• Options
    cptskeeterukcptskeeteruk Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Yeah i agree with mostly the OP. Dinos in the game, really? Voth yeah well ok but there evolved, but t-rex's etc god no, please no. This is a bad decision and i feel geko once again pushed this onto us.

Imo geko is also responsible for alot of the bad decisions of the game and i wont be sorry to see him go if he does anytime soon, we need a new lead that doesnt think "its a game" but more of a lead that says "keep it trek and dont step outside the confines of the show/canon. He might like star trek blah blah but he doesnt respect it at all imo. Anyhow just my opinion of this dev nothing more because of his actions soley.

I myself have been playing since open beta, etc. But slowing it down now or just stopping i duno yet because of the direction the leads are taking this game, I hope star trek online 2 comes sooner rather than later instead of patching this game with this and that which isnt very trek and keeps adding enemies to fight and doesnt really cater for any of the science or exploring or moral aspects of the trek universe. Hopefully with a different developer team too with a custom engine specific for trek and not a one engine for multiple diff genres of mmos like cryptic used.

Yes its a bit of a negative post but so what i have a right to voice my grievances as do anyone else.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    vermatrixvermatrix Member Posts: 335 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Yeah we don't need no stinking dinosaurs, replace them with giant armored tribbles with lasers instead :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    vermatrix wrote: »
    Yeah we don't need no stinking dinosaurs, replace them with giant armored tribbles with lasers instead :D

Actually, that is what we get in Season 9 or at least the Feds do. The Klingons train a bunch of Targ to form a giant Targ.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Yeah i agree with mostly the OP. Dinos in the game, really? Voth yeah well ok but there evolved, but t-rex's etc god no, please no. This is a bad decision and i feel geko once again pushed this onto us.

Imo geko is also responsible for alot of the bad decisions of the game and i wont be sorry to see him go if he does anytime soon, we need a new lead that doesnt think "its a game" but more of a lead that says "keep it trek and dont step outside the confines of the show/canon. He might like star trek blah blah but he doesnt respect it at all imo. Anyhow just my opinion of this dev nothing more because of his actions soley.

I myself have been playing since open beta, etc. But slowing it down now or just stopping i duno yet because of the direction the leads are taking this game, I hope star trek online 2 comes sooner rather than later instead of patching this game with this and that which isnt very trek and keeps adding enemies to fight and doesnt really cater for any of the science or exploring or moral aspects of the trek universe. Hopefully with a different developer team too with a custom engine specific for trek and not a one engine for multiple diff genres of mmos like cryptic used.

Yes its a bit of a negative post but so what i have a right to voice my grievances as do anyone else.

^This 100% this

Yeah, how dare they treat this game like a game, don't they know we did not come here to play a game and have fun. God I wish Cryptic would put their heads out their rear, and turn this into Trek and let me dress up as Robin hood and stop stepping outside Trek by having Dinosaurs because that's dumb.

Cryptic should have put Greek gods in the game, WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU CRYPTIC ! :mad: Apollo, and Zeus is CANON.

Also Cryptic another fail you guys did by adding Dinosaurs, is not letting us have a Gangster planet adventure zone come on guys don't you know canon, butt noooo you wanted a T Rex, and not Klingons headbutting people and stealing their ride EPIC FAIL CRYPTIC :rolleyes:
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    ^This 100% this

Yeah, how dare they treat this game like a game, don't they know we did not come here to play a game and have fun. God I wish Cryptic would put their heads out their rear, and turn this into Trek and let me dress up as Robin hood and stop stepping outside Trek by having Dinosaurs because that's dumb.

Cryptic should have put Greek gods in the game, WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU CRYPTIC ! :mad: Apollo, and Zeus is CANON.

Also Cryptic another fail you guys did by adding Dinosaurs, is not letting us have a Gangster planet adventure zone come on guys don't you know canon, butt noooo you wanted a T Rex, and not Klingons headbutting people and stealing their ride EPIC FAIL CRYPTIC :rolleyes:

this 200% how dare cryptic!!!!!!! i think they made the game more trek than they ever could have look at the forums :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    *Looks for forum post like button..*
    signwidrona.png
  • Options
    zix74itaelitezix74itaelite Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    idrona wrote: »
    *Looks for forum post like button..*

100% this!:)

To the devs: :rolleyes:

You should really pay attention to this post!

About season 8:

I don't know if I'll enjoy the new content! I couldn't bring myself to try it out and I'll wait to comment on that!
    As a KDF dedicated player (gold member-past the 700 days mark close to 800) there is one thing I know: this could be the time to go silver... I can't stand anymore paying for nothing at all!
    Ground gameplay in STO isn't exactly cutting edge compared to late 90's early 00's games ... need I remind you that we actualy live in the year 2013? DDO was way more exciting! BF anyone? QUAKE? (please note- I've been kind enough not to add any recent game as comparison)
    Space gameplay: I'll have something to say soon about this! I need the time to try out the submbarines :eek: in WOWships than I'll have something to compare it to!:P
  • Options
    puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    I love the subjective arguments followed up by doom philosophy. It's what makes gaming forums exciting. :)

it wasn't doom.. I said, it will lose more players, but gain others.. and there is always all the fan boys who seem to think that spending more money, will support the game more.. (that philosophy hasn't worked at all.. 4 years later, and were still walking around in circles with this game)..

i will say, of all my fleeties, and friends who are still in the game, a vast majority of them are leaving or left due to season 8.. not just because of the content, but from a quote of one of them.. " im sick of waiting for that magical season/content release that's never gonna come.. everything is meh, mediocre, and after a week, overplayed and boring"

the problem is not just dino's. the problem is the quality of the content.. how is it that a game like say wow, or rift can make content that myself and a large number of people do not mind running week after week after week, but sto cant make content that a vast majority can stand to run for less than a month.. and you can say all you want about said games i mentioned.. but at the end of the day, sto cant come close to touching the amount of content they release, nor the amount of players they have, which shows that they are doing something right, and sto maybe doing something wrong..

i don't wish to call doom on this game, i have realized that its not its time yet.. but, it is losing players, and that will eventually catch up with them..

the devs need to sit down, figure out what works, and what isn't, and develop more content people like.. its like the featured episode thing.. jesus, everyone and their brother logged in and crashed the servers to do those.. they had a good thing going.. but someone at cryptic didn't like them, so boom, done.. sure were getting one now, but only one.. we wont see another for a while.. this to me shows just how out of touch with the game the devs are..

after 4 years of screaming for new stf's, were finally gonna get some, and boom, its Jurassic park.. /facepalm....

what next.. their pvp revamp isn't actually gonna have fighting, but a relay race with mickey mouse..

a few years ago, i used to support and encourage the dev team.. i was caught by the stahl wave. and it worked till he quit.. this game has not been the same since he left, and even with his return, he never brought the momentum, and great things he was doing back.. that was when this game died.. im beyond doom, the doom and gloom happened a year back.. this is what is left, think of it as a star that has died, its all cold and collapsing.. lol..
  • Options
    puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    also, I love how when people have decent to good thoughts about the state of the game.. and bring real life problems to light.. all of the fan boys imidiatly, (instead of having meaningfull debates, or arguing the points of someones post) call that we are doom sayers.. kinda a lazy way of trying to defunct someones post.. like I said, I wasn't trying to call doom, but to bring to light a real problem..
  • Options
    captainjgeecaptainjgee Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Yes I can see Geko's point about White Rabbits, Greek Gods, Abe Lincoln being in Star Trek, heck I'd be happy with a Veti in Q's Winter Wonderland, but most of the above was created by a superior alien beings. They appeared in one episode as a gimmick not as a main recurring plot. The Voth dinosaurs will be with us for ever, and most players will see them for months to come, and by then will be sick to death of them. Yes I can understand he wanted them to make fun game play, here's an idea if you made different and varied missions players wouldn't get so bored. With all your team you have now you could have come up with something better.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    puttenham wrote: »
    also, I love how when people have decent to good thoughts about the state of the game.. and bring real life problems to light.. all of the fan boys imidiatly, (instead of having meaningfull debates, or arguing the points of someones post) call that we are doom sayers.. kinda a lazy way of trying to defunct someones post.. like I said, I wasn't trying to call doom, but to bring to light a real problem..
    If you don't see all the subtle doom references in your posts it's because you're so angst-ridden by the game that you no longer realize how much the angst has affected you. Simply put, it's time for you to walk away and get a new perspective. You want something from STO that it's never going to be, and instead of accepting that you'd rather sit around and blame Cryptic rather then yourself for sticking around.

Right now you're living a life that is: I don't love my wife, but I'm too afraid to divorce her, so I just sit around complaining about her all day long. STO is what it is, and it has been the same thing for 4 years. You can either choose to accept that and be happy, not accept it and stick around being unhappy all the time, or go find something else to make you happy. If you're not happy with this game but too afraid to move on that's all on you, not Cryptic. You are the master of your own fate.

I haven't played in over 2 months. Not because STO's a terrible game, but because I understand that I can get disappointed and frustrated in anything over a prolonged period of time. So I take breaks, and then I can come back with a fresh perspective. Thus I don't get all full of angst over something I cannot change. Try it. You might be happier if you do.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    polaronbeam1polaronbeam1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    saekiith wrote: »
    I love the "The Forum is raging! Majority WANTS!" Fallacy about nearly everyone falls into including OP...

Yes there are Threads about K'Vort and Galaxy, Dinos with Laz0rs... yes at least one Galaxy Thread has over a hundred Pages...
    No it is NOT the Majority because it is the same 50 Users posting OVER AND OVER again in that thread discussing and lamenting the current status with the irregular one off stray posters in between that would add maybe 100 Unique "Yes do!"s to all that...
    And those same Users are raging ingame in Fleet Chats etc.

The Forums are the smallest part and hilariously one sided... most of those that are happy with it are ingame not caring about Forums at all... only those that are not happy feel the need to cry out loud...

And again you fell from fallacy to fallacy insulting the Devs because YOU 1. Feel they did wrong and 2. "OMG THAT'S NOT STAR TREK!!!111!" of which both points are nothing more than your personal little world with absolutely NO bearing to the overall status of "Not Trek"-"Trek"...

And don't get me started on your complete lack of experience and basic knowledge of economics...
    You still believe "Customer is King" and that a Customer must be pleased at all cost...
    That is CUTE!
    The Real World says otherwise...
    The Only Thing that makes a real buck are a few little things...

You don't do what the Customer wants... YOU MAKE the Customer want what you OFFER...
    Then go on and fix the Price with artificial Scarcity and Planned Obsolescence, be it in form of faulty parts or simply because you didn't include all of the new stuff so you can spew out a new Ipho... Ehm I mean... "a new product" 6 months later.

And again... sure you can try and make some Polls... but as I said they are worth nothing because A) Forums are one sided as hell and B) They do not represent the majority of Players
    And even in this One-Sided Adventure we can't even make our minds up so the actual Number of People wanting X in a Poll will be even smaller.

Sure it may be beneficial... but we could end up a year without content because some thickheaded people brought enough brethren to kill the Poll with "First FIx all bugs before new stuff!"...

And I feel far more reassured that the Devs keep this in their hands than hand it over to the Zealots and Flagellants that make up the Star Trek Fandom and would work only to build up their tiny little version of ST regardless of Reality and anyone else...

Oh and btw. Pandas are in Lore way before that Panda Island Expansion... so please educate yourself before simply repeating and spewing Hat0r-Speech...

You got it. The OP appears to be an offshoot one of those characters from the 300+ page Galaxy thread who insults everybody who doesn't agree with them, and then cry "foul" when they get insulted in return. They're easy to spot because they are usually their own worst enemies when trying to "advance their cause".

For example, the OP went into automatic "attack mode" in his very FIRST post, conjecturing on Geko's "ego", while paradoxically demanding that Geko makes the changes that HE wants because HE wants it, and if HE wants it, in his mind, EVERYBODY wants it.

They have this habit of telling everyone else what "real trek" is, but when any inconsistencies is pointed out in their "logic", they then blame "the writers'", instead of acknowledging the there could be FLAWS in their interpretation. They constantly whine about every little thing, but STILL play the game.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Yes you can, they did. And Voyager is not mediocre, just not your personal favorite. Maybe you should write CBS and ask.

7800 Beverly Boulevard
    Los Angeles, CA 90036

or try this one:

CBS Headquarters
    51 W. 52nd Street
    New York, NY 10019-6188
    1-212-975-4321

Hmmm. Well, if the OP is like a LOT of the whiners that I usually see in MANY of these threads, then his/they contacting CBS directly for their requested changes is WAY too much "work" for him/them to do. They are much more content with sitting around whining about things and insulting the devs and other players who don't agree with them.
  • Options
    jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Hmmm. Well, if the OP is like a LOT of the whiners that I usually see in MANY of these threads, then his/they contacting CBS directly for their requested changes is WAY too much "work" for him/them to do. They are much more content with sitting around whining about things and insulting the devs and other players who don't agree with them.

And your not insulting other players? :):cool:
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • Options
    tonyalmeida2tonyalmeida2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    jumpingjs wrote: »

saying someone who whines is a whiner is now an insult, thx 4 the info
    pvp = small package
  • Options
    edited October 2013

Whatever.

Again, read what I said. I said that when anyone disagrees with them, then then insult people for having their own opinions, and then proceeds to tell everyone what "real trek" is. Did you not see this happening is this very thread?

His first words were talking about Geko's "ego" and then proceeded to lecture about what "real trek" is, and then attempted to cite unsubstantiated "statistics" in furtherance of the lecture. His tone has been insulting and condescending, and quite frankly makes him open to scrunity.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    saying someone who whines is a whiner is now an insult, thx 4 the info

Lol! Unfortunately, that "logic" does seem to be the norm in far too many of the threads on this forum.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Whatever.

Again, read what I said. I said that when anyone disagrees with them, then then insult people for having their own opinions, and then proceeds to tell everyone what "real trek" is. Did you not see this happening is this very thread?

His first words were talking about Geko's "ego" and then proceeded to lecture about what "real trek" is, and then attempted to cite unsubstantiated "statistics" in furtherance of the lecture. His tone has been insulting and condescending, and quite frankly makes him open to scrunity.

I was joking, thus, sorry if I offended you.

In a way, I was shocked by that behaviour. I have never seen anyone on the forum take an almost direct attack on Dev before.

Congratulations! :D :rolleyes:

(Semi-Sarcasm about the congratulations, although if there was award for it, that is uslaly what the award giver says)
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

• Options
    assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    For example, the OP went into automatic "attack mode" in his very FIRST post, conjecturing on Geko's "ego", while paradoxically demanding that Geko makes the changes that HE wants because HE wants it, and if HE wants it, in his mind, EVERYBODY wants it.

While I don't agree with everything the OP wrote, I can't shake the feeling that you are pretty new here....
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • Options
    whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Oh and "Enterprise" much like the second Highlander movie, never happened. It has been struck from the annals of human history and placed in the big black book of "Things That Shall Not Be Named"

Said book also comes in a conveniently sized pocket edition which is on sale at for a reasonable price at your local Walmart. :P

If your joking, haha!

If not, Enterprise is just as much canon as any of the other shows.
  • Options
    whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    While I don't agree with everything the OP wrote, I can't shake the feeling that you are pretty new here....

Well, if Geko's ego is as large as is claimed, this thread would have been shut down fairly quick. Not supporting or oppsing him either way.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    If your joking, haha!

If not, Enterprise is just as much canon as any of the other shows.

Totally agreed!!!!!!! :)

• Options
    knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Yeah, I'm not a big fan of geko either but enough of the personal attacks. You make yourself look childish by doing so.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Well, if Geko's ego is as large as is claimed, this thread would have been shut down fairly quick. Not supporting or oppsing him either way.

Considering what he said in his last interview I get the feeling that he barely even reads the forums, and others are responsible for moderation. Also Cryptic has by now taken on a stance of letting us talk as long, as we don't overly flame each other, but ignoring us.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • Options
    saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    [...]but ignoring us.

And you gauge that by what?
    That nobody walks in and says "We're reading!"?
    That they do not implement anything because of threads that 50 People blew up with posting again and again?

You know very well what happens then... people will rip that person apart, take his/her words and twist them into promises of change and acceptance and later implementing of Ideas... Artificially creating ****storm after ****storm if it ultimately doesn't happen.

Especially here in the General Forums...
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    saekiith wrote: »
    And you gauge that by what?
    That nobody walks in and says "We're reading!"?
    That they do not implement anything because of threads that 50 People blew up with posting again and again?

Gauging by how it was in the beginning. Lots of things were changed because they listened to, and discussed with the community. Some things for the better, some for the worse. The Excelsior was originally meant to be released with a a commander and lieutenant eng, and a lieutenant-commander in both tactical and science. The T5 Galaxy, Defiant and Intrepid were originally meant to have two commanders of their corresponding branch and drop the ensign. The Breen slaver in the Deferi sector was originally designed in a way that the only option to complete the mission was to buy the enslaved Deferi from him with latinum. I disliked the changes to the ships, and I liked the change to the mission, but either way you knew that the devs were listening. Tell me something from the last year that is even remotely similar.
  • Options
    saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Changes of the Rep System... Easier access/completion and... what do they call it? Sponsoring Tokens? Anyway, that thing for your Alts?

That's what just jumps to me without even looking...

Anyway... the Tribble Forums would be the best place to find stuff like that.
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I was joking, thus, sorry if I offended you.

In a way, I was shocked by that behaviour. I have never seen anyone on the forum take an almost direct attack on Dev before.

Congratulations! :D :rolleyes:

(Semi-Sarcasm about the congratulations, although if there was award for it, that is uslaly what the award giver says)

No worries.
  • Options
    edited October 2013

I'm definitely not new here, but what is your point?