test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

**Can't get the launcher to open? Try the workaround in post #11 of this thread!**

Comments

• quinnjtquinnjt Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  • gandalfthepurpl3gandalfthepurpl3 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    :mad:
    uglyjimmy wrote: »
    if anyone else is having same problem.
    STO launcher didnt show up on my screen.
    After starting, icon in taskbar was there but there was no window where u can input username and password to start playing.

1. Start STO
    2. start Task manager
    3. Applications tab
    4. Right click on Star trek online and press Minimize
    5. Right click again and press Maximize
    (Now launcher is there but Maximized over everything)
    6. Escape to close launcher
    7. Start STO and there is your launcher again, visible and in normal size.

Hope it helps

((EDIT from BranFlakes: This workaround can be used until a permanent solution is provided. Thanks! -Brandon))

this does not work for me
  • tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Thx uglyjimmy , it works now.
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    So I just got hit with this and the work around posted by uglyjimmy isn't working. I've tried launching and relaunching the game several times using the work around and nothing happens. I've tried using both Arc and the normal game launcher. Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: Am on Windows 7 32bit.

Edit 2: Ooookay so I figured it out and it's very weird. Upon launching the game it was opening a blank dummy window off of my screen for some reason. I right clicked on the dummy STO launcher window in my taskbar and selected "Star Trek Online" and it opened another STO.exe in a window off screen. That window eventually loaded into the launcher, but it was still off screen. Had to right click on that one and select move, which allowed me to move it back onto my screen. The weird part is that the blank dummy window was still active...so I just right clicked on the first STO.exe and closed that one out. The second copy of STO.exe stayed put and allowed me to log into the game. What in the world is going on here lol.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • tonyalmeida2tonyalmeida2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    lan451 wrote: »
    So I just got hit with this and the work around posted by uglyjimmy isn't working. I've tried launching and relaunching the game several times using the work around and nothing happens. I've tried using both Arc and the normal game launcher. Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: Am on Windows 7 32bit.

Edit 2: Ooookay so I figured it out and it's very weird. Upon launching the game it was opening a blank dummy window off of my screen for some reason. I right clicked on the dummy STO launcher window in my taskbar and selected "Star Trek Online" and it opened another STO.exe in a window off screen. That window eventually loaded into the launcher, but it was still off screen. Had to right click on that one and select move, which allowed me to move it back onto my screen. The weird part is that the blank dummy window was still active...so I just right clicked on the first STO.exe and closed that one out. The second copy of STO.exe stayed put and allowed me to log into the game. What in the world is going on here lol.

Cryptic is going on here.
    pvp = small package
  • branimir101branimir101 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    scott248 wrote: »
    I got my problem fixed. Somehow the launcher window was off the screen desktop. I had to right click on the taskbar icon and select move..and then use the arrow keys to move it back tot he screen. Do not know how or why this happened. but I can play now.

Thanks a bunch, i did guess it's something like that but did not think of it to use arrow keys to move it :/
  • smilegcb2#3786 smilegcb2 Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The solution of this post doesn't function ...

I have the same problem, but nothing happened (when i try solution).
  • sarthrinsarthrin Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Ok, so I tried all the fixes to this issue and none worked. I figured I would try a clean install. So I remove the old version of the game and it tells me that I must download Arc. So I do and set it up. Then I try and run Arc and get a constant server timed out message every time I try and run it. The game seemed to always run fine for me before Arc, and now I cant even get the thing to down load.

This is kinda a last straw issue with me. I love the game, and have spent enough in the c-store that I should have bought a life time membership, it would have been way cheaper. But alas, I play the game to relax and have fun and if I am spending hours and days trying to get it to work or re-download, that is not fun and it is frustrating. My time can be better spent playing a game that I don't have issues like this.
  • lantis23lantis23 Member Posts: 0
    edited August 2013
    These "helpful" suggestions on how to get the launcher to work are a joke.. they work maybe 1 in 50 times if your lucky. This a result of some bad programming on Cryptic's part when they forced their new launchers down our throats and it's about time they fixed it properly instead of giving "Minimize/Maximize" TRIBBLE that doesn't work.

Just because these are free to play games is no excuse for such poor service, we all put alot of money into these games in the form or respec tokens, ships and even costume unlocks.

Get off your asses and fix your mistakes Cryptic or start expecting to lose players.
  • timelords1701timelords1701 Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ran into this problem myself today, game patched and worked fine this morning, went out for a few hours to find when i got home to play that the launcher would get stuck in minimized mode, thankfully found the workaround in this thread and it worked absolutely fine for me.
    cheers brandon..
  • grizzlyukgrizzlyuk Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    deokkent wrote: »
    Found another a shorter way to bring up your invisible launcher.

1. Right click star trek online and select move.
    2. Press (not hold) the up arrow.
    3. Move your mouse upwards.
    4. ???.
    5. Profit.

Works for me at least, I hope it will for you because the other solution has too many effin' steps.
    This is how I "fixed" my STO launcher not showing on my desktop. For me the launcher was offscreen to the lower right, once I'd moved it enough to be able to see it I just clicked on the launcher's title bar and then dragged the launcher back to the centre of my screen.
    Playing STO since August 2010
    Playing Neverwinter since July 2014
  • jwschierjwschier Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I've tried the one workaround I have seen, and it still isn't coming up for me. I have done fresh installs, rebooted computer a million times, even let it go through a patch and still will not work.
  • ehoopehoop Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    deokkent wrote: »
    Found another a shorter way to bring up your invisible launcher.

1. Right click star trek online and select move.
    2. Press (not hold) the up arrow.
    3. Move your mouse upwards.
    4. ???.
    5. Profit.

Works for me at least, I hope it will for you because the other solution has too many effin' steps.

This worked for me.
  • a00rez00aa00rez00a Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    scott248 wrote: »
    Hi.

I was playing STO last night when the game froze up while trying to load an instance map. I rebooted my computer and now I can not get the launcher window to open. It runs, but just displays down in the taskbar and the window will not open. I tried an uninstall / re-install of the game and after download the launcher will still nto open up for me. I also tried to get into Neverwinter and the launcher for that will not open up either. I tried turning off my anti-virus and firewall, but that did no good. I do not know what else to try. I am running Windows XP and everything was working good up until last night while playing when STO froze up. Any Suggestions?
    Scott248, I have EXACTLY the same problem. I even completely re-installed and cannot get it to work at all. Did you ever find a fix?
  • johnthomas00johnthomas00 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    After starting, icon in taskbar was there but there was no window where u can input username and password to start playing.

1. Start STO
    2. start Task manager
    3. Applications tab

Hope it helps

((EDIT from BranFlakes: This workaround can be used until a permanent solution is provided. Thanks! -Brandon))

Yeah this didn't actually help. Step 5 didn't max the launcher and it's still stuck in the toolbar. I am thankful I have an alternate computer I can play on, but it's not as good as this one is. I even tried uninstalling, shutting down and purging flash mem then restarting again, then redownloading the game to make sure there was no crossover and it still does it.
  • johnthomas00johnthomas00 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    saxfire wrote: »
    here is more or less permanent workaround if you didnt alrdy fix this issue, or if somebody didnt alrdy tell about this.

1. right click your shortcut
    2. find option where you can choose if you wish to open the game minimized, maximized or on normal size
    3. set to maximized
    4. success, now you are able to play but your launcher will look "funny"

Okay so this did work, but I didn't like it looking funny. So I did some exploring to find out what was different between the 2 computers. Apperantly awhile ago I put the other computer's STO's launcher in safe mode. So while this one was running in max mode I changed the setting and put it in safe mode, logged it out and put it back into a normal setting window and reopened it. It works just fine now. So if you can, get your launchers into safe mode! lol
  • nazelnagnazelnag Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    stylops wrote: »
    What if we don't have the 'move' command available on the taskbar icon? It's totally greyed out.

Edit: Okay, Minimized, then restored, then used move. And holy TRIBBLE, based on an estimate of speed it was moving/time it took to get on screen, the window was five feet below the desktop.

i also had the impression the window was below the screen. very very odd ...

thank you everywone for the workaround.
  • tongi02tongi02 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Ok, I got my launcher working again but now it still won't let me in the game, I can get in Tribble and Champions all right but not STO what the problem cryptic!?!:(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Always move forward, even if it's one step at a time..
  • baileydeebaileydee Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This is bloody stupid ive tried all of these and none has fixed the invisible launcher!
  • westozwestoz Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    i'm having a problem also but i'm still able to see the window only it's pinned and when highlighted the window is showing a full window some where on my computer and completely active i was able to punch in my password as i type this the recent patch is downloading as i can view this in my task bar and no where else
    Try and understand the Chaos factor or just understand the variable, live long and live life Gee.
    edited August 2013
    i hope it can be fixed soon i shall download the entire game just with the hope that after a fix is provided my computer has a smoother running process
    Try and understand the Chaos factor or just understand the variable, live long and live life Gee.
  • tongi02tongi02 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well I can get my Launch window up but when I try to enter the game it always want to verify the files and after that when I launch my game it ALWAYS crashed mid load and I've already tried everything including erasing my files and using my hard disk and it still crashes mid load after it verifies the files I would like to know why I can access tribble just fine and Champs just fine, But not my STO account?:(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Always move forward, even if it's one step at a time..
  • somedudezsomedudez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I've found a work around....

create a desktop shortcut

right click this shortcut

look around for a 'maximise' drop box and tick it :D

>>>Click apply/OK

its working:P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Workaround no longer works. My younger brother can't run the launcher, only the game itself. This means that by next Thursday, he will be incapable of playing STO indefinitely.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
    edited September 2013
    tried everything and then some i guess i'll just wait for the complete fix you're "working" on
  • michele79michele79 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013

1. Start STO
    2. start Task manager
    3. Applications tab

Hope it helps

problem solved, u are a genius my friend!
  • bannon3bannon3 Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Just happened to me for the first time, but the Move wasnt selectable, I played around with it and used the arrow keys for some reason it was below my Object Dock on the bottom of the screen, thanks for the fix now I know what to do next time it happens.
    In Space, Cryptic cant hear you scream!!!
  • silverm21silverm21 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    My launcher now won't get past the process stage at this point. I restarted after some visual glitches. Nothing I do seem to work.
    edited September 2013
    In the Start tab under search type regedit.exe and follow the solution,
    3) First go to regedit.exe then go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Cryptic/Cryptic Launcher/WindowPos
    then delete the WindowPos complete and launch the game again

thanks for the fix
  • noegenicnoegenic Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Just followed the instructions in post #11 and the launcher is showing up now, thanks for posting the workaround