test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Was there any official announcement before the changes to the mail system

tenchivutenchivu Member Posts: 26 Arc User
I'm not really a forum reader. I only read the official patch notes and didn't see anything posted about the changes to mail system. Did I miss the official announcement, or cryptics just did it without any official post?

If it was the later, they shouldn't because it made a mess and really TRIBBLE us - the players - in a big time.

I'm not against any changes/updates in a mmo since it's normal procedure. However, I'm totally against any changes made without any pre-patch announcement. It is the devs responsible to the players to be clear about any update/change they want to make in order for players to prepare for the changes.

If I knew about the mail patch, I would be able to clean up the mail box and prepare for it. Now, my mail is totally in a messy state.

Is the 200 items attached per account or char? because if it's per account, it's totally unfair for players who have lot chars. May I remind cryptic that players have to pay for the extra char slots?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    knockyknocky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    People like you are why we all got screwed. You chose to EXPLOIT the mail system instead of buying inventory and account bank space.

Thank you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tonyalmeida2tonyalmeida2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    knocky wrote: »
    People like you are why we all got screwed. You chose to EXPLOIT the mail system instead of buying inventory and account bank space.

Thank you.

I see nothing in his post that he hasn't purchased all of the available inventory, bank, and account bank space available.

I also have seen nothing except recently that even hint's at Cryptic's disapproval over the use of the mail system as storage space, much less them deeming it as a exploit. Especially since they have created the grinds that require the extra storage, yet have not provided players with means for the extra storage.

Also a bit I find funny, the mail system has been as is for years if I have understood other players correctly. Just now it is becoming a problem? Either again it is a cause of the grinds they have introduced or it has been there all along.

And if you haven't been doing exactly what you accuse him of doing, how are you directly affected by this? Have you been exploiting the mail system as storage? We all know that is a big no no.
    pvp = small package
  • Options
    logicalspocklogicalspock Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Thank you.

Actually, he chose to use the mail system in a manner consistent with its design, which was that mail was unlimited and messages were stored indefinitely. Cryptic chose to change that design, as is their right.

And, by the way, inventory and bank spaces are extremely limited and do not store many items that mail does, or allow access to all accounts.
  • Options
    knockyknocky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Any limit imposed years after the fact affects all of us, whether you used it for storage or not.

If they do it to the mail, who's to say they will not attack another system next month?

And for the record, my bank space on all toons are 50% or less.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Thank you.

What about those that bought all those extra slots and still need more? Hmmm? :rolleyes: Last I checked I can't even buy more Boff slots.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Also a bit I find funny, the mail system has been as is for years if I have understood other players correctly. Just now it is becoming a problem?.

Only problem with the mail is that Cryptic can't SELL you more room if you already have infinite storage. So...
    Step 1: Limit Space
    Step 2: Sell 'extra' space.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Thank you.

And how do you know that I'm not a LTS or have my bank slot max out? Has I said that I'm against the mail updates/changes? No. So please learn to read correctly before making any stupid/ignorant comment that makes you look like an TRIBBLE. Perhaps, you should go back to or finish high school... maybe upgrade your IQ to 100? Oops soz... that may seem impossible... 'cause I just remember IQ cant be upgraded.

Play the game 3 years and see if how many bank slots are enough. I don't store junk in the mail only items that are needed for future chars, fleet resources, lockbox items and mostly doffs/boffs.

The mail system was originally designed to facilitate items transferring between chars since there wasn't any account bank until recently. There wasn't anything to exploit because it was designed/used as intended, so again please go back to school and buy a dictionary. There is also free online dictionary... in case you don't know and only use internet for TRIBBLE and post abusive comments.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Only problem with the mail is that Cryptic can't SELL you more room if you already have infinite storage. So...
    Step 1: Limit Space
    Step 2: Sell 'extra' space.

Nah you will always need extra bank slots unless you throw away all the char bounded items you've earned from events or collected such as pets/tribbles.

If the devs implement the new mail system to prevent players from storing items then it's a double edge sword for them because:
    1. I dont think players use the mail to store junks like many here believe because there is no point to do so when items are easily obtained in STO.
    2. I think most players, like myself, store needed items for future chars such as blue/purple doff/boff, weapons, ships boxes, consoles packsm, cpx/xp boost that are obtained from lockboxes. Now, with a limit attachment, players would refrain from open any lockboxes until they could clear the mail box. In some sense, it may be also be beneficial for players because cheaper lockboxes items can be found in the exchange due to the mail box cleaning.

If people think that the limit attachment happens because of the server limit storage then they're wrong. They should go and read more IT news. If they think the mail update would thwart people from using the mail to store items, then they're more wrong because STO is F2P, people can just create extra accounts, resulting more storage space.
  • Options
    kaiserkactokaiserkacto Member Posts: 482 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I don't understand why/how people need that much space...

saving up white doffs for the fleet?. I'm also on a fleet, and I'm unable to "save" doffs, Actually I put those doffs on the fleet system as soon i can got them, so i don't need to store them. I my opinion if you need to save your doff for later under the excuse of using on the fleet system, you don't actually need to save them (after all if don't need to put your doff asap it's because your fleet proyects are already filled so you don't need them, or your fleet leaders aren't queueing projects which required doffs ).

Saving new blue/purple doffs? Why?...If you got some new awesome doff, why keep the not-so-awesome ones... why not discard them?, or sell them for a small price?.

Storing items for new characters?... why not make those characters right now, transfer the items onto their (limited) banks and inventories, and then play with those charachters whenever you are in the mood?. Do you want other race/career/faction?
    Put those items again in the mail, delete the character, and create a new and move the items again. Yes I'm aware I just said "Put the items on the mail", but this time those items will be on the mail just a few minutes, not for several weeks or months.

cheaper Lockboxes/itesm form the mail cleaning? Why sell an old lockbox for cheap, if i can sell it at the "standard" current price? Unless somebody is desesperate for getting quick ecs, doesn't make much sense selling an old item for (just an example) 20K, when you could sell it for 40K. Yes, if you put a lot of items on the exchange, their prices eventually will drop, but people will try to make as much profit as possible
    "In every age,
    In every place,
    The deeds of men remain the same..."
    12701.png
  • Options
    scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Also a bit I find funny, the mail system has been as is for years if I have understood other players correctly. Just now it is becoming a problem? Either again it is a cause of the grinds they have introduced or it has been there all along.

Actually it is because Free to Play and Legacy of Romulus brought in more players than we had back in "the old days."
  • Options
    topsettopset Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yeah I don't understand doff storage either, now they've merged tac/security, sci/med and ops/eng there's absolutely no need to hoard doffs. Buy them as you need them, the rest are completely superfluous.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
  • Options
    qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    tenchivu wrote: »
    I'm not really a forum reader. I only read the official patch notes and didn't see anything posted about the changes to mail system. Did I miss the official announcement, or cryptics just did it without any official post?

If it was the later, they shouldn't because it made a mess and really TRIBBLE us - the players - in a big time.

I'm not against any changes/updates in a mmo since it's normal procedure. However, I'm totally against any changes made without any pre-patch announcement. It is the devs responsible to the players to be clear about any update/change they want to make in order for players to prepare for the changes.

If I knew about the mail patch, I would be able to clean up the mail box and prepare for it. Now, my mail is totally in a messy state.

Is the 200 items attached per account or char? because if it's per account, it's totally unfair for players who have lot chars. May I remind cryptic that players have to pay for the extra char slots?

And yes the mail changes were listed in the patch notes.
  • Options
    aarons9aarons9 Member Posts: 961
    edited July 2013
    qultuq wrote: »

after they deleted everyones emails.. which i still have not gotten back.
    [12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
    [12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
  • Options
    sortofsortof Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    And how do you know that I'm not a LTS or have my bank slot max out? Has I said that I'm against the mail updates/changes? No. So please learn to read correctly before making any stupid/ignorant comment that makes you look like an TRIBBLE. Perhaps, you should go back to or finish high school... maybe upgrade your IQ to 100? Oops soz... that may seem impossible... 'cause I just remember IQ cant be upgraded.

Play the game 3 years and see if how many bank slots are enough. I don't store junk in the mail only items that are needed for future chars, fleet resources, lockbox items and mostly doffs/boffs.

The mail system was originally designed to facilitate items transferring between chars since there wasn't any account bank until recently. There wasn't anything to exploit because it was designed/used as intended, so again please go back to school and buy a dictionary. There is also free online dictionary... in case you don't know and only use internet for TRIBBLE and post abusive comments.

This post achieves a new score of being low. Congratulations ! You are indeed a wonderful example of the human race.
    Whatever we deny or embrace, we belong togheter./ Pat Benatar
  • Options
    matrix0matrix0 Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    qultuq wrote: »

Before the email haywire? Please link the patch notes. I couldn't find it. I knew that there was one after people started complaining on the forum. I always read patch notes when there is a patch.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    sortof wrote: »
    This post achieves a new score of being low. Congratulations ! You are indeed a wonderful example of the human race.

So, are you saying that ppl should lie down and let themselves to be bullied? because it looked like that the OP wasn't trying to blame anyone/anything. He asked a simple question: was there a patch note before cryptic made changes to the mail.

His reply might be a little excessive but understandable when someone just came out from nowhere, didn't bother to read his post completely and made an accusation of his exploiting the mail system. Exploiting is another word for cheater in mmo.

I basically use the mail the same way he does, and it's been for years. I'm kinda pissed about the mail update too but cant do jack about it since as the OP's opinion, the devs have the right to do whatever they want because it's their game. It is reasonable to say that devs should post the changes before the updates.
  • Options
    jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    matrix0 wrote: »
    So, are you saying that ppl should lie down and let themselves to be bullied? because it looked like that the OP wasn't trying to blame anyone/anything. He asked a simple question: was there a patch note before cryptic made changes to the mail.

His reply might be a little excessive but understandable when someone just came out from nowhere, didn't bother to read his post completely and made an accusation of his exploiting the mail system. Exploiting is another word for cheater in mmo.

I basically use the mail the same way he does, and it's been for years. I'm kinda pissed about the mail update too but cant do jack about it since as the OP's opinion, the devs have the right to do whatever they want because it's their game. It is reasonable to say that devs should post the changes before the updates.

So your part of the problem then, the reason they decided to change it.

Oh and if something is sat in your mail for over a month.. do you really need it??

I have the same rule with all my characters banks slots, if it's in there for over a month and I need room - it's gone, simple.

(and as someone all ready posted, it will be in the store, buy more mail slots - simple supply and demand)
  • Options
    edited July 2013

saving up white doffs for the fleet?. I'm also on a fleet, and I'm unable to "save" doffs, Actually I put those doffs on the fleet system as soon i can got them, so i don't need to store them. I my opinion if you need to save your doff for later under the excuse of using on the fleet system, you don't actually need to save them (after all if don't need to put your doff asap it's because your fleet proyects are already filled so you don't need them, or your fleet leaders aren't queueing projects which required doffs ).

Saving new blue/purple doffs? Why?...If you got some new awesome doff, why keep the not-so-awesome ones... why not discard them?, or sell them for a small price?.

Storing items for new characters?... why not make those characters right now, transfer the items onto their (limited) banks and inventories, and then play with those charachters whenever you are in the mood?. Do you want other race/career/faction?
    Put those items again in the mail, delete the character, and create a new and move the items again. Yes I'm aware I just said "Put the items on the mail", but this time those items will be on the mail just a few minutes, not for several weeks or months.

cheaper Lockboxes/itesm form the mail cleaning? Why sell an old lockbox for cheap, if i can sell it at the "standard" current price? Unless somebody is desesperate for getting quick ecs, doesn't make much sense selling an old item for (just an example) 20K, when you could sell it for 40K. Yes, if you put a lot of items on the exchange, their prices eventually will drop, but people will try to make as much profit as possible

Apparently you don't know much about fleet and a noob to STO.

There are projects that would require hundred of doffs. If you're just run projects without carefully planning, it would cost a lot more. Everyone that owns or is serious about fleet building uses the mail to store fleet stuff for future projects.

The mail system has been unchanged for 3 years. I'm pretty sure everyone who has been playing for years uses the mail system like the way the OP has.

There wasn't anywhere the OP said he stored old lockboxes (you could get those easily with replay some eps. If someone had to pay for them.. all I could said.. sucker lol.) He said he stored lockboxes items such as cpx/xp boosters for later use.

Anyway, imo, a lot forum readers should learn how to read English because I don't see the OP saying he's against the mail updates. He just asked if "WAS THERE A PATCH NOTE?" and stated that devs should let players know about any changes/updates, which was a reasonable statement.
  • Options
    tc10btc10b Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    edited July 2013

There are projects that would require hundred of doffs. If you're just run projects without carefully planning, it would cost a lot more. Everyone that owns or is serious about fleet building uses the mail to store fleet stuff for future projects.

So realistically, you only need to have the exact number of doffs that you need for the projects once every 20 hours. So you should never need to exceed the mail storage limit and unless you're in one of those one man band fleets, the other people in your fleet can and should be contributing the doffs as well as their storage.
    The mail system has been unchanged for 3 years. I'm pretty sure everyone who has been playing for years uses the mail system like the way the OP has.

Yes but so has the number of players, so the database size for that much mail especially if everyone is storing over 200 items is going to be massive. People were already complaining that the mails they had in their inbox since open beta were slowing down their computer when they read them. Cryptic addressed this issue.
    Anyway, imo, a lot forum readers should learn how to read English because I don't see the OP saying he's against the mail updates. He just asked if "WAS THERE A PATCH NOTE?" and stated that devs should let players know about any changes/updates, which was a reasonable statement.

As has already been mentioned in this thread, yes there were patch notes for this both on Tribble and later Holodeck. That's the way it works. There were even discussions about it on this very forum when the mail system when haywire and later.
    It's your own responsibility to keep up to date with the game through the patch note system. There is even a button on the launcher that will take you to them.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

THIS ISN'T TRUE ANY MORE.

You had a point a few months back when projects required Science OR Medical doffs. You would open fleet boxes to get either/or and be left with hundreds of science doffs trying to get your medical doffs. Since the change, they can take either, so you don't end up with surplus.

This is no longer the case. You now know EXACTLY how many boxes of fleet doffs you're going to need to fill a project.

You can see that a starbase project needs 54 medical or science duty officers, buy 54 packs, unbox them and fill the project with no leftovers. There is no excuse for doff hoarding any more.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
  • Options
    ceekayzeroceekayzero Member Posts: 411 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    topset wrote: »
    THIS ISN'T TRUE ANY MORE.

You had a point a few months back when projects required Science OR Medical doffs. You would open fleet boxes to get either/or and be left with hundreds of science doffs trying to get your medical doffs. Since the change, they can take either, so you don't end up with surplus.

This is no longer the case. You now know EXACTLY how many boxes of fleet doffs you're going to need to fill a project.

You can see that a starbase project needs 54 medical or science duty officers, buy 54 packs, unbox them and fill the project with no leftovers. There is no excuse for doff hoarding any more.

I strongly disagree with this statement. One of my fleets is going all in on science right now. The other fleet is going all in on engineering. And once the second fleet is done with engineering, it is going all in on tactical.

So I run my surplus support doffs through the Doffcracker to get those wonderful, wonderful juicy whites. I can contribute the sci/med immediately, or the eng/ops immediately, but the Tacs will take a month or so. So I still have an immediate need for mass doff storage.

Furthermore, since I am trying to *gain* fleet credits on a number of toons (in order to buy more fleet weapons, or purple fleet doffs), I do not want to use the (net) 450 fc fleet doff vendor.

I already have the stuff, I just need to time shift it. Why should I pay for time-shifting it?
  • Options
    omegashinzonomegashinzon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Thank you.

I have max (or obscene amount) slots in everything on my main character and many alts have at or near max slots. I mean max far as inventory, subber slots, bank, invetory, doffs, over 20 boffs on main, over 20 ship slots. Mail is used to transfer things that CANNOT be stored such as boffs and doffs between characters. Which is BTW, the expressed sole purpose of having items attached to mail. (transferring from mine to mine or mine to yours, same thing) I pretty much consider anyone who calls this an exploit either a complete troll or so ignorant as to what's really going on they can't even see the big picture. Either way, you are dead wrong. How would you like something useful that you use being nerfed because someone else "might" be "exploiting" it?

Read my signature; just read. the red text part. Your lack of need for something has no effect on how I or others in a different bracket from you play the game. You don't have to understand, we do. Maybe, play long enough, and you will to.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting. ~thlaylierah
    So realistically, you only need to have the exact number of doffs that you need. ~leadme2kirk
  • Options
    wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Thank you.

agreed ...oh and i love the refit idea
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
  • Options
    jrbrianjrbrian Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Whatever was done to the mail/exchange process really dumped hard on me!! :( I was unable to post to the exchange (which is fine) because I knew I probably had to delete some mail to reenable this option.....BUT I could not recover ANY of the expired items so was forced to delete them and thereby lost both the item and the ability to make some EC because I could not recover the item to repost. This really really really suck!!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    tc10b wrote: »
    So realistically, you only need to have the exact number of doffs that you nee

Failpost :P

That a quote of mine?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
  • Options
    tc10btc10b Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    topset wrote: »

Failpost :P

That a quote of mine?
    Looks like half of one of mine.
  • Options
    genemorphgenemorph Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The mail system is still bugged for me. Every time I get an item back from the exchange it is accompanied by a blank mail which can't be deleted, until the corresponding exchange mail is deleted. Does this blank mail contribute to the mailbox/exchange limit too?
  • Options
    omegashinzonomegashinzon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    So realistically, you only need to have the exact number of doffs that you need. (edited)

Haha! that's great. I'm gonna remember that one because it's basically the argument people use defending these nerfs.

Gonna quote you on that one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting. ~thlaylierah
    So realistically, you only need to have the exact number of doffs that you need. ~leadme2kirk
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited July 2013

No, there was NO warning or patch notes posted until last Thursday, even tho the change was over 2 months ago.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=699761
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=695071
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=735581
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=795551
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG