What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do you DEV's care anymore?

1234568»

Comments

• v1ctor1stv1ctor1st Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    pyryck wrote: »
    STO was designed from day one to be all about "teh casual PvE" in an established IP universe that's been around and discussed for over 45 years. The PvP will be added in at some point in the future as filler to give players something mindless to do between the mindless reputation grinds. ;)

A council or committee won't work with STO because every player has their very own ST IP experience that they are already biased towards. There's lots of established canon that breeds untold daily arguments in most every social venue in game. And politics is something that leads to being ignored in chat channels.

...and that arguement means... nothing.

The original Star Trek Games council which i mentioned a couple of pages back was implemented by PARAMOUNT itself, the actual license holder. In the few short meetings that was already held canon arguments was bashed down and put out by Paramount immediately. You cant argue canon with someone who was the vice president of products and merchandising.

As for STO being designed around an established IP... so what?

Star Trek: Starfleet Command

Star Trek: Starfleet Command 2 and 2: Orion Pirates

Star Trek: Armada 1 & 2

Star Trek: Bridge Commander

Star Trek: Elite Force 1 & 2

...the list of the older PC games which was made at a time when the Star Trek gaming franchise was the biggest franchise around would have been covered in that original council to include the modders and older fleets who still covered the old Activision/Interplay era games from 1998 to the Activision franchise collapse in 2003. Those older games stuck to canon much much more strictly then Star Trek Online.

The original council idea brought forward by Paramount would have worked just fine. The Trek gaming franchise didn't start with Star Trek: Online, the games franchise alone is over 20 years old.
    AhvtPz9.jpg
    • "You know when that shark bites, with its teeth dear... scarlet billows start to spread..."
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    bluegeek wrote: »
    I have zero experience with EvE and won't contest that it may be a more complex game.

Without any comment, I will leave you with this depiction of EVE's learning curve.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=&imgrefurl=http://www.overclock.net/t/1219894/how-hard-is-it-to-start-playing-eve&h=0&w=0&sz=1&tbnid=L9jAw5kbfEALQM&tbnh=221&tbnw=228&zoom=1&docid=ivI0kAUpRFz-FM
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Thanks, you just permanently cured me from ever wanting to play EVE. :rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with it, just not my cuppa dew.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Thanks, you just permanently cured me from ever wanting to play EVE. :rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with it, just not my cuppa dew.

To be entirely fair to EVE, it's an excellently maintained game and 'verse. CCP is doing extraordinarily brave things with the IP relative to just about any other developer out there (Dust, the upcoming live action series, etc). It just requires a very specific kind of mentality to really get into it.
  • syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    v1ctor1st wrote: »
    ...the list of the older PC games which was made at a time when the Star Trek gaming franchise was the biggest franchise around

Uhm, what? That time never happened...

The only Star Trek video game that's ever approached anything like mainstream gaming success was Elite Force. The rest have been decidedly niche titles.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • pyryckpyryck Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    v1ctor1st wrote: »
    ...and that argument means... nothing.<snipped>

The original council idea brought forward by Paramount would have worked just fine. The Trek gaming franchise didn't start with Star Trek: Online, the games franchise alone is over 20 years old.

The idea to have some sort of STO council or committee or Senate made up of players has been brought up many, many times since Cryptic was granted the IP license. And each time in each topic, the idea was shot down because the community could not agree on any sort of make-up or foundation or even to what purpose this "council" would serve. Added to that was the lack of any real support from the developer as I think they were waiting to see just how organized the community could get on their own.

And it couldn't get organized on its own. Still can't. Prime example is right here between you and I. I'm referring to attempts to get a community council organized here in STO and you're bringing up some Council from the '90s.

We probably won't ever get organized enough as community to even try to use some sort of representation group because everyone has their own ideas about everything to do with that group, the IP, the game and the direction it should all take.
  • stulpnagelstulpnagel Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    xalexkx wrote: »
    there are lot of bugs that need to be fixed.
    But , before releasing new content, fix the old one.
    Take defera bugs for example, they are there for a lot of time. THey are very annoying, expecially city . No one looks into them. Oh right, rommie ships from c-store bring money, people doing missions dont bring money.
    Instead of making a new content, maybe look in the old one.

agreed with this comment.
    and please fix the accolade-tailor-mail bugs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]